Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dutchflyboi
Topic Author

easyJet to close crew bases at Stansted, Southend and Newcastle

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:15 pm

easyJet has made public that it will close the crew bases in Stansted, Southend and Newcastle. In addition to this reductions in BER will be sharp as well up to 16 less aircraft based in Germany. In the UK around 727 Pilots and over 1000 Cabin Crew are due to lose their jobs, in Germany up to 730 Pilots and Cabin Crew.
A sad day for sure!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/easyjet- ... 11198.html

jghealey

Re: easyJet to close Stansted, Southend and Newcastle

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:18 pm

Sad it is indeed but I guess not unexpected, closing Stansted totally makes sense - easyJet is a bit of an outcast at STN especially with Ryanair's massive operation there, while SEN and NCL have always been small. Aircraft-wise these bases probably make up just 10 or so of their total fleet.

Where's your source for the Germany reductions? I guess if true this will mean there's less overlap between former TXL and SXF routes now that they're moving to BER.

enplaned

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:27 pm

Should modify the subject line to make it clear that the airline is closing crew bases at these airports - the article says the airline will continue to serve these points.

sassiciai

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:15 pm

enplaned wrote:
Should modify the subject line to make it clear that the airline is closing crew bases at these airports - the article says the airline will continue to serve these points.

I concur. The title as is is factually wrong

Blerg

Re: easyJet to close crew bases at Stansted, Southend and Newcastle

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:36 pm

So what are the changes we will see in Germany? How many planes will be removed from Berlin?

dutchflyboi
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:36 pm

jghealey wrote:
Sad it is indeed but I guess not unexpected, closing Stansted totally makes sense - easyJet is a bit of an outcast at STN especially with Ryanair's massive operation there, while SEN and NCL have always been small. Aircraft-wise these bases probably make up just 10 or so of their total fleet.

Where's your source for the Germany reductions? I guess if true this will mean there's less overlap between former TXL and SXF routes now that they're moving to BER.

German union Verdi was the source of that.

jghealey

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:44 pm

dutchflyboi wrote:
jghealey wrote:

German union Verdi was the source of that.

Can you maybe find a link? I'm not saying you're wrong just it would be good to see for ourselves given that there has been no official announcement

f4f3a

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:06 pm

On bbc news and daily m . Also halving the base in Berlin . Other UK bases to reduce by a quarter

westgate

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:28 pm

enplaned wrote:

But if they are going to continue to serve those points, I assume that it will nevertheless be at a reduced schedule with a few destinations dropped. Unless of course they plan on hiring new employees at the other bases to compensate but it doesn't sound at all like that's what's happening. I assume there will be some kind of reshuffle, where overall reduction of service at other bases allows them keep at least some flights to STN, SEN and NCL.

dutchflyboi
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:56 pm

Can you maybe find a link? I'm not saying you're wrong just it would be good to see for ourselves given that there has been no official announcement[/quote]
No link yet. It was also communicated to all employees by management. 16 aircraft being removed in Berlin. Up to 738 pilots and cabin crew jobs lost in Germany.

SCQ83

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:12 pm

I am not surprised about SEN, STN and BER.

SEN and STN are small stations and easyJet has LGW and LTN.

Berlin was already an extremely competitive market. It is city-break central, and those short urban trips will be affected the most. Also Berlin economically is very different than the rest of Germany; very bubbly economy (start-ups, real estate speculation, tourism, etc.); no doubt it will be hit much worse than more traditional/established cities in the country like MUC, FRA or HAM.

gkirk

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm

Leaves easyJet with no bases in the north of England
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

T8KE0FF

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:48 pm

gkirk wrote:

You're right, apart from their bases at Manchester and Liverpool...
RJ85 E145 E195 A319 A320 A321 A330 A340 A380 B737 B747 B757 B767 B777 B787 DH4 AT72

Delta777Jet

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Apprently no more German domestic services for easyJet (leaving that to Lufthansa only) .

The gap for easyJet will be filled with Ryanair and Wizzair really fast. Don't think the reduction in Berin is a smart move for easyJet .

More and more flights are being reinstated (if you look at there booking page more and more flights pop up) and the prices are skyrocketing high for some flights.
I still miss Trans World Airlines and the L-1011

gkirk

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 pm

T8KE0FF wrote:
gkirk wrote:

They are in the Midlands, anywhere south of Lancaster = Midlands
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

davidjohnson6

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:08 pm

Regarding Easyjet and Germany, this article might be interesting reading:
https://www.anna.aero/2020/06/04/easyje ... pex-shows/

Rajahdhani

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:30 pm

Can someone better familiar with local laws, regulations and considerations - help explain what happens to these employees, at this point? Are jobs just cut at these cities, or are some of these employees going to be offered other jobs at other sites? In the case of a mass-layoff, does seniority with the company matter?

eurowings

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:41 pm

gkirk wrote:
T8KE0FF wrote:
gkirk wrote:

They are in the Midlands, anywhere south of Lancaster = Midlands

No they are not actually, Manchester and Liverpool are both in the offical English region of North West England as defined by the UK Government.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 622442.pdf

I grew up 15 miles south of Lancaster and have never though of myself or referred to myself as a "Midlander", the North West - West Midlands border is south of Cheshire.

Nothing against Midlanders by the way :)
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

eurowings

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:59 pm

I'm also not surprised about NCL - it seems like Jet2 have focused heavily there in recent years and easyJet have been stagnant. The key UK routes will likely remain served by Bristol and Belfast based crew/planes, with maybe some other services like AMS and BCN remaining served by easyJet Europe.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

RyanairGuru

Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:10 pm

While not altogether unsurprising, closing STN means that there is now nothing left from Go.

Sad day for all those involved.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

eurowings

Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:25 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
While not altogether unsurprising, closing STN means that there is now nothing left from Go.

Although was Bristol not a 'Go' base as well?

mxaxai

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:56 am

jghealey wrote:
Can you maybe find a link? I'm not saying you're wrong just it would be good to see for ourselves given that there has been no official announcement

dutchflyboi wrote:
No link yet. It was also communicated to all employees by management. 16 aircraft being removed in Berlin. Up to 738 pilots and cabin crew jobs lost in Germany.

German media have picked up on this:
https://www.rbb24.de/wirtschaft/thema/2 ... l-sxf.html
"The challenges that have made it impossible to be profitable in Berlin continue to exist and have been exacerbated by Covid-19," says one of the messages written in English by Stephan Erler on Tuesday, the Country Manager for Germany at Easyjet. "These suggestions are based on our analysis of the lack of profitability and the significant loss that the bases [Tegel and Schönefeld] cause," continued Erler. "The rest of the network is no longer able to compensate for this.
In the internal communication, Erler emphasized that Berlin remained strategically important, especially since the location had been invested significantly in the past few years. "But we have no choice and have to adjust our offer, our fleet and crew size according to current and future demand."

In the future, the focus will be on European cities and vacation destinations. "Some routes will be discontinued due to a lack of profit prospects," added Erler. "This also includes domestic German business offers."

Fleet reduction by 16 from the current 34 to 18 remaining (-47%); crew reduction by 738 from the current 1540 to 802 remaining (-48%). The German domestic network alone accounted for 140+ weekly flights.

https://www.airliners.de/easyjet-berliner-basis/56266
Easyjet will not completely close the base in Berlin, emphasized CEO Johan Lundgren: "Berlin remains a strategically important part of our network, in which we have made substantial investments, and although we will remain Berlin 's largest airline, we have to adapt our flight schedule to meet demand after the pandemic and focus on profitable flying. "

This leaves Eurowings & LH with an almost complete monopoly on German domestic flights. I'll point out that Eurowings has been consistently more expensive than U2 or FR even on routes with direct competition; yet Eurowings has struggled with profitability for many years. Ryanair gave up their domestic routes in 2019. I wonder if other airlines will use this opening and/or Easyjet will give it another try after traffic recovers.

airhansa

Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:40 pm

LGW will become a low cost carrier base while SEN will collapse. That will be the effect of the movement of long haul operations to LHR.

Westerwaelder

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:20 pm

airhansa wrote:
LGW will become a low cost carrier base while SEN will collapse. That will be the effect of the movement of long haul operations to LHR.

BA have announced the restart of at least four longhaul routes from LGW:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-30jun20/

LGW has been the focus for low cost (U2 being its largest airline pre Covid 19) or lower cost for years anyway. The overflow from LHR for foreign carriers will presumably disappear for a while.

SEN has it's own catchment area but with fewer trips being taken, it remains to be seen how viable it is. Those who fly from there love it generally but if that's enough to keep it going?

airhansa

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:39 pm

Westerwaelder wrote:
airhansa wrote:

LGW has been the focus for low cost (U2 being its largest airline pre Covid 19) or lower cost for years anyway. The overflow from LHR for foreign carriers will presumably disappear for a while.

SEN has it's own catchment area but with fewer trips being taken, it remains to be seen how viable it is. Those who fly from there love it generally but if that's enough to keep it going?

I expect most of the reductions to be at LGW since LHR slots are too valuable. I theorize that the slots at LHR will be seized by BA once/if other airlines reduce services and leave, which will result in BA reducing LGW services further.

LGW is usually considered a "better' airport than the likes of LTN and STN. I still think that EasyJet might focus more of its operations into LGW and away from LTN. I would personally just abandon LTN and move all operations to LGW since the catchment area will be better (especially post-coronavirus) and there's no competition.

SEN is located in a nice place and has good transport links. It might be a good airport to replace LHR runway three (if it is still needed now, which may be another casualty of the coronavirus). Ditto SEN seems to me a better place to have a private aviation than LTN due to its location.

Westerwaelder

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:47 pm

airhansa wrote:
Westerwaelder wrote:
airhansa wrote:

I expect most of the reductions to be at LGW since LHR slots are too valuable. I theorize that the slots at LHR will be seized by BA once/if other airlines reduce services and leave, which will result in BA reducing LGW services further.

LGW is usually considered a "better' airport than the likes of LTN and STN. I still think that EasyJet might focus more of its operations into LGW and away from LTN. I would personally just abandon LTN and move all operations to LGW since the catchment area will be better (especially post-coronavirus) and there's no competition.

SEN is located in a nice place and has good transport links. It might be a good airport to replace LHR runway three (if it is still needed now, which may be another casualty of the coronavirus). Ditto SEN seems to me a better place to have a private aviation than LTN due to its location.

Why will the LGW catchment area be better? LTN and LGW are on opposite ends of London, each with it's own catchment area. LGW has a big overlap with LHR in SW London. LTN attracts traffic from further North. Don't get me wrong, in my opinion LTN is probably the worst of all London airports, not much ahead of STN but it has a different footprint and might be worth keeping.

SEN is too far away from most places in London to be a viable alternative to LHR, LGW, LTN. It is quicker for the majority of Londoners to get to any of the other five airports than to go to SEN. In addition, it's not like it offers unique routes. It's small size makes it a great airport but its location not so much.

davidjohnson6

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:57 pm

I very much doubt Easyjet will shut Luton. London's airports have a huge catchment area; close Luton and a lot of people in north London and areas further north simply won't go to Gatwick

Southend has the disadvantage of having the sea next door which cuts its catchment area in half. That's never a good starting point, unless Govt plans to close down one of the existing airports. The only routes that have lasted at Southend are those targetted at people living in Essex and east London; other routes which have tried to attract people from all over London have struggled. When Southend finds it serves 20m pax per year, then it may have a case for an additional runway; until then the idea of a new runway in Southend is fantasy

airhansa

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:47 pm

LGW has a substantially wealthier catchment area that could afford to travel out of LGW on full service airlines, which after coronavirus might be looking to low cost airlines for travel. LTN has to compete with another low cost airport STN and arguably can be replaced by airports closer to northern cities (BHX...)

Straight from the horse's mouth about (London), LGW has 72.5% while LTN has 68.5%.

http://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media/Fi ... an2015.pdf

Westerwaelder

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:07 pm

airhansa wrote:
LGW has a substantially wealthier catchment area that could afford to travel out of LGW on full service airlines, which after coronavirus might be looking to low cost airlines for travel. LTN has to compete with another low cost airport STN and arguably can be replaced by airports closer to northern cities (BHX...)

Straight from the horse's mouth about (London), LGW has 72.5% while LTN has 68.5%.

Full service short haul has largely died a death years ago in the UK. People by and large choose full service short haul because the airline happens to fly from the right airport to the right destination at the right time is a full service airline.

Not many go out of their way to catch a full service flight when a low cost one is nearer or otherwise more convenient
Just ask BA.

airhansa

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:22 pm

Westerwaelder wrote:
airhansa wrote:

Full service short haul has largely died a death years ago in the UK. People by and large choose full service short haul because the airline happens to fly from the right airport to the right destination at the right time is a full service airline.

Not many go out of their way to catch a full service flight when a low cost one is nearer or otherwise more convenient
Just ask BA.

You probably would not argue against assuming that U2 are going to increase their presence at LGW after leaving SEN? I would argue the reason is because there's a strong argument for setting up a low cost base at the airport as long as the operation fees are cheap enough, which they will be due to coronavirus.

I'm not sure about your comment on full service airlines? I was saying that LGW had a more prosperous catchment area and now was the right time to enter the airport since thrifty flyers are more likely to be found there. U2 say that the two airports have similar catchment coverage of Greater London but the South East is more populated and richer.

flyjay123

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:27 pm

eurowings wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Yes it was.

flyjay123

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:35 pm

T8KE0FF wrote:
gkirk wrote:

I believe closure of the Liverpool base is on a knife- edge tòo, if things don't pick up sufficiently!

skipness1E

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:52 pm

easyJet serve pretty much everywhere they’re ever likely to at LGW, it’s the dominant anchor carrier with saturation on European routes. Growth was limited at LGW even before COVID19. easyJet is based at LTN, STN was always an add on, came with Go and never got much love from team Orange. The market will be smaller for a time so EZY appears to be retrenching to stronger markets on the assumption that most flying SEN/STN can easily be accomodated out of LGW/LTN. Don’t be surprised if they get a handful of LHR slots just to stir the pot.

Westerwaelder

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:32 am

airhansa wrote:
Westerwaelder wrote:
airhansa wrote:

Just ask BA.

You probably would not argue against assuming that U2 are going to increase their presence at LGW after leaving SEN? I would argue the reason is because there's a strong argument for setting up a low cost base at the airport as long as the operation fees are cheap enough, which they will be due to coronavirus.

I'm not sure about your comment on full service airlines? I was saying that LGW had a more prosperous catchment area and now was the right time to enter the airport since thrifty flyers are more likely to be found there. U2 say that the two airports have similar catchment coverage of Greater London but the South East is more populated and richer.

I misunderstood your comment, sorry about that. I don't think U2 will increase their presence anywhere soon unless we are talking proportionally to others rather than in real terms? SEN is a small operation and eliminating it will just absorb some of the falls in traffic. I think most across London players will use this to consolidate to fewer airports to cut cost.

Galwayman

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:06 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
I very much doubt Easyjet will shut Luton. London's airports have a huge catchment area; close Luton and a lot of people in north London and areas further north simply won't go to Gatwick

Southend has the disadvantage of having the sea next door which cuts its catchment area in half. That's never a good starting point, unless Govt plans to close down one of the existing airports. The only routes that have lasted at Southend are those targetted at people living in Essex and east London; other routes which have tried to attract people from all over London have struggled. When Southend finds it serves 20m pax per year, then it may have a case for an additional runway; until then the idea of a new runway in Southend is fantasy

It would be great if Easy would exit Luton and give Wizz ( such a great airline) more room to expand . Let Easy stick to Gatwick .Its a win win for customers really

davidjohnson6

Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:37 am

Airlines having monopolies in large airports is usually not a win win for customers
Wizz were granted enough slots to base 4 aircraft at Gatwick, so plenty of room to expand in London

BABDBY

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:07 am

flyjay123 wrote:
eurowings wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Yes it was.

Is there anything left of the old ‘Go’ routes/bases now? EMA was one of the first old Go bases easyJet closed down which was a great shame!

B757236GT

Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:24 pm

Bristol still have numerous ex Go routes. GLA/EDI/FAO etc that Easyjet are(were) still operating. While i cant see Easyjet going anywhere at Bristol soon i'm interested that it was mentioned they would cut routes at other bases?

Just found this link which mentions old Go Fly routes. https://www.anna.aero/2012/05/02/go-fly ... ggest-lcc/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos