Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dtw2hyd

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - Q3 2020

Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:21 pm

pune wrote:
The friends at high/right places does no good.

It distorts the market. Others eager to invest will back out not knowing whether they will be successful.

Having said that I like the SpiceJet's wet lease international model. I suggested this scheme few years back a.net

ATF - Foreign operator - No customs/excise duty/VAT
MX/MRO - Foreign operator - No customs/excise duty/VAT
Catering - Foreign operator - No taxes in India, cheaper to uplift food from India than Europe, return catering makes it even better.
Fligh/Cabin Crew - Foreign operator - No DGCA FDTL rules, no union complaints/ASRs. Europe has some of the sloppiest duty rules which can be fully milked.
Optional - Cabin Crew - SpiceJet (Damp lease) - Cheaper labor costs

Anyway you slice it, this is the best way to run international ops from India.
All posts are just opinions.

VTORD

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - July 2020

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:29 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
DTWLAX wrote:
voxkel wrote:
According to AirlineRoute, UA will be switching EWR-DEL to a 789 and an afternoon departure (once covid is over). I believe the previous flight was (in February) the longest on the 77E. There will also be 3 repatriation flights on this new schedule on the 77W this coming week.

Are you sure the new schedule and equipment change is for the regular flights post-covid and not just for the repatriation flights operating this month?
While EWR-DEL switching to an afternoon departure makes sense for connections at the India end, it does not make any sense for DEL-EWR. The plane will either leave DEL in the afternoon with a night arrival in EWR with very little connections at EWR or will have to sit in DEL until the current departure time thereby leading to poor utilization of the aircraft.

Aircraft sit waiting for the right departure times all over the world (look at US-Brazil flights). I think this is a great move for UA. Now UA can offer NYC customers a flight that has wide connection opportunities in India. If you need to go to DEL with a night departure from EWR, you can either fly on the BOM flight (which I bet has much more business fliers needing the late flight) and then connect to DEL OR fly the traditional routing via the EU. Right now UA can’t really offer connections in India because both the nonstops and EU flights all arrive at i midnight meaning pax wait until 6/7am to connect. Btw even US City-EWR-DEL-Indian city with the new timings is probably a good routing for many given how most flight arrive India isn’t he middle of the night. So IMHO, this schedule change makes a lot of sense.

There is no schedule change. This was for repat flights. UA's booking engine still shows a night time 8:45 PM departure (Oct 26 - Nov 13).

trinidadeG

Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:17 am

hohd wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:
avier wrote:

I wonder what happens then in regards to the brand, aircraft, and technical support (maintenance/website/admin) which is mostly owned/controlled/managed by the parent Co. AirAsia Bhd. Also, its known fact that AirAsia India pays a premium on lease rentals to the parent co. owned leasing company which provides aircraft to I5. Wonder how that would work out.

Given what happened to AirAsia Japan 1.0 what could happen is that the planes go back to AirAsia while the Indian side acquires new aircraft and creates a new brand. Or they could just shut it down or merge whatever remains to Vistara.

If Tata is going to shut down Air Asia India, then why even pay anything. Let it die a natural death. The only scenario is Tata to buy and keep the brand for a little longer, first form an alliance with Vistara, then slowly merge with Vistara.

Perhaps the Tata's can buy out Tony Fernandes for a token of Re 1? Mr. Fernandes is quite familiar with 'those kinda deals'.... :D

AirAsia India shareholders Tata Sons and AirAsia Group have agreed to inject INR3 billion rupees (USD40 million) into the low-cost carrier through optionally convertible debentures as talks progress over ownership changes, The Economic Times has reported.

While AirAsia Group has never confirmed these talks, it is reportedly open to selling its 49% stake in the Indian venture to Tata Sons. Given the slump in the carrier's financial situation, already precarious before the pandemic, the Malaysian group has lowered its expected price to just USD50 million.

The LCC reportedly needs further recapitalisation but AirAsia Group, itself in a tough financial predicament, is unable to bankroll the Indian unit any more.

"AirAsia India seeks $40mn, Tata mulls buy-out" Ch-Aviation

hohd

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Where is Air Asia Group getting the money for at least a part of the $40million.

Tatas also don't seem to have a coherent strategy concerning airlines. They have Vistara, which has never turned in a profit but has potential, and not doing well now, Air Asia India in its last legs and they are the sole bidder for Air India. They need limit their operations to one airline.

avier

Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:17 pm

hohd wrote:
Where is Air Asia Group getting the money for at least a part of the $40million.

Tatas also don't seem to have a coherent strategy concerning airlines. They have Vistara, which has never turned in a profit but has potential, and not doing well now, Air Asia India in its last legs and they are the sole bidder for Air India. They need limit their operations to one airline.

They are raising through debt funds.
Regarding TATA and their airline ventures, they never had any strategy. Vistara & AirAsia India have never really been profitable since their inception. They need to shutdown I5 asap, and focus on Vistara. And should steer clear of the mess called Air India.

pune

Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:37 am

I came here hoping that there would be some discussion on the tragedy that happened at the Kozhikode Airport -

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/vid ... 430489.cms

Update - Seems like somebody made a whole thread at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1450053

hohd

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:55 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/m/a5d4d159-b ... l-out.html

Article about no airline specific package from India from Indian carriers. At least for the sake of safety, GoI should consider some interest free or very low interest loans. Airlines are struggling and they could cut corners on safety to get through this period.

trinidadeG

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:25 am

LHR's website is showing flights by Vistara and SpiceJet, effective 16th August and 1st September respectively.
Vistara will fly Four-weekly, while SpiceJet will fly daily.

https://networkthoughts.com/2020/08/11/ ... t-flights/

DTWLAX

Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:54 am

trinidadeG wrote:
LHR's website is showing flights by Vistara and SpiceJet, effective 16th August and 1st September respectively.

Don't really understand UK's flight timings. What is the point of the plane sitting at LHR for 7 hours? Is it something to do with the slot?

If UK were to leave from LHR just a couple of hours early at around 11:30am or noon, they would need only one aircraft to fly the route. It would also be beneficial for passengers since they can get to DEL at a decent time and get a full night's sleep.

DTWLAX

Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:57 am

I was checking flightaware and noticed AF and KL have started regular service to BOM. I knew India created the travel bubble with France but wasn't aware of the same with Netherlands.
AF is using the A332 and KL is using the B772.

VTORD

Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:54 pm

DTWLAX wrote:
Don't really understand UK's flight timings. What is the point of the plane sitting at LHR for 7 hours? Is it something to do with the slot?

Do they have a 3:00-4:00 AM-ish departure bank out of DEL? That slot will allow them to leverage domestic connections on each segment is the only thing that makes sense for those timings.

DTWLAX wrote:
If UK were to leave from LHR just a couple of hours early at around 11:30am or noon, they would need only one aircraft to fly the route. It would also be beneficial for passengers since they can get to DEL at a decent time and get a full night's sleep.

Maybe the plan is to leverage a "partner's" feed at LHR? This could be more for a post-bubble operation than the more immediate. They would have to expand their code share with BA (or get in bed with VS) though for that to happen 'cos I don't see UA wanting to feed them at LHR over their JV with LH.

trinidadeG

Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:13 pm

VTORD wrote:
DTWLAX wrote:

Do they have a 3:00-4:00 AM-ish departure bank out of DEL? That slot will allow them to leverage domestic connections on each segment is the only thing that makes sense for those timings.

DTWLAX wrote:

Maybe the plan is to leverage a "partner's" feed at LHR? This could be more for a post-bubble operation than the more immediate. They would have to expand their code share with BA (or get in bed with VS) though for that to happen 'cos I don't see UA wanting to feed them at LHR over their JV with LH.

I notice that Air India and British Airways currently depart LHR for DEL in the morning within 30 minutes of each other. Perhaps Vistara didn't want to schedule their flight to depart LHR too close to those flights and scheduled it to depart LHR as late as possible?

hohd

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:21 pm

It has been reported that DL's JFK-BOM service has been closed for reservation from December 2020 with no end date to restart. Will this route come back. And right now there is no "travel bubble" service either.

trinidadeG

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:45 pm

trinidadeG wrote:

Virgin Atlantic plans to operate three flights a week from Delhi to London Heathrow from September 2, while Mumbai services are planned to re-commence from September 17 with four flights per week, the airline said in a release.

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/vir ... 69120.html

airboss787

Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Looks like the new MUC-BLR service has been suspended. Sucks because I am sure that route would have done well pre-COVID.
Star Alliance Gold

SQ22
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:02 pm

May I remind you to provide a link to your source when stating facts? Thanks.

pune

Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:45 pm

there were quite a few people commenting on twitter, people who are usually in the know as to civil aviation would be set back to 2005-06 period. Having the traffic back to say 2011-2013 some of the golden years would take a really long time. Other people have commented that the vaccine itself would take years to reach common man so given those two sorta views seems it would take a long time for any traffic built up to happen .

airboss787

Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:35 pm

SQ22 wrote:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200813

Apologies. Here is the link.
Star Alliance Gold

VTORD

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:36 pm

hohd wrote:
It has been reported that DL's JFK-BOM service has been closed for reservation from December 2020 with no end date to restart. Will this route come back. And right now there is no "travel bubble" service either.

As far as I know, this flight was one of the first casualties of the COVID19 cuts. I wasn't aware that it was bookable until Dec 2020. My F-in-L was to take this flight to be in the US in May and he got an email from Delta that said the flight is cancelled.

SQ22
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:43 pm

airboss787 wrote:
SQ22 wrote:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200813

Apologies. Here is the link.

Thanks

avier

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:05 pm

GoAir CEO Vinay Dube has quit, in barely 6 months since being designated that post. Before that, he was in an advisory role with them briefly. He was also the (last) CEO of Jet Airways, before they shutdown.

GoAir has now appointed appointed Kaushik Khona as the new CEO.

Interesting how they have top-level execs come and go so quick, always.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 544933.cms

trinidadeG

Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:19 pm

FlightRadar24 shows Vistara's second B789, VT-TSE, in the air right now. Looks like its heading across the Atlantic.

https://www.flightradar24.com/VTTSE/25371386

unnayan

Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:53 am

CPS001

Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:55 am

unnayan wrote:

One of the 48 was supposed to operate a VBM flight, which was consequently delayed

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/india ... 07371.html

avier

Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:20 pm

Those AI pilots who were let go, were the ones who had already tendered their resignation. Some as far as back in July last year (per article).
It's just that Covid messed their future plans and they decided to withdraw their resignation which silly AI accepted first but later reverted that decision now and told them they have to leave and their resignation was approved. Media ofcourse has to make AI look bad here again.

The masala airline (along with other pvt carriers) did this back in March/April itself when they sensed market will be down i.e letting go of those pilots who had already put in their resignation before by waiving off the notice period and therefore not allowing them to stick back, which is fair enough because their intention was to leave anyways.

unnayan

Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:43 pm

avier wrote:
Those AI pilots who were let go, were the ones who had already tendered their resignation. Some as far as back in July last year (per article).
It's just that Covid messed their future plans and they decided to withdraw their resignation which silly AI accepted first but later reverted that decision now and told them they have to leave and their resignation was approved. Media ofcourse has to make AI look bad here again.

The masala airline (along with other pvt carriers) did this back in March/April itself when they sensed market will be down i.e letting go of those pilots who had already put in their resignation before by waiving off the notice period and therefore not allowing them to stick back, which is fair enough because their intention was to leave anyways.

But how does Covid mess up the plan of a pilot who resigned in July 2019 and retracted within 6 months notice period

avier

Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:44 pm

unnayan wrote:
But how does Covid mess up the plan of a pilot who resigned in July 2019 and retracted within 6 months notice period

Notice period for commanders is 12 months and first officers 6 months . One doesn't know if those who applied for resignation last July were of which category.

Funnily, last December, AI pilots were urging DGCA to waive off notice period to let them leave immediately. I'm sure those who had served their entire notice period by then would have already left and not looked for a way back in, with the ailing carrier.
https://www.thehindu.com/business/Indus ... 395176.ece

Other carriers did this too, almost immediately in March itself.
https://m.economictimes.com/industry/tr ... 760187.cms

avier

Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:11 pm

SpiceJet to induct its first Airbus A340 cargo aircraft in its freighter fleet

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 579_1.html

hohd

Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:11 pm

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 536638.cms

AI domestic market share dips to 9%, its lowest ever. How can that be, during COVID, I thought AI was more active than other carriers. Also the market share of Indigo is now at 60%, may be temporary due to COVID, but still it is worrisome since it is becoming a monopoly. Any disruption of Indigo's schedule could cause serious repercussions for India's domestic travel market.

VTORD

Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:26 pm

avier wrote:

Where are they getting the a/c from? I googled "A340 Cargo Aircraft" and couldn't find a single picture or known case of an airline using the type as dedicated cargo aircraft. Literally 90% of the results are about the SG story. The only thing I could find of any relevance is this 2012 story:
https://www.flightglobal.com/low-cost-a ... 12.article

and this undated piece:
http://www.lcfconversions.com/a340-600-ngf.html

airboss787

Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:25 pm

VTORD wrote:
avier wrote:

Where are they getting the a/c from? I googled "A340 Cargo Aircraft" and couldn't find a single picture or known case of an airline using the type as dedicated cargo aircraft. Literally 90% of the results are about the SG story. The only thing I could find of any relevance is this 2012 story:

and this undated piece:

This is one example. Thats the only aircraft from my knowledge that is an A340 Cargo aircraft. There exists no program to convert pax A340s to cargo. This is just one with removed seats.

https://simpleflying.com/hi-fly-a340-freigher/
Star Alliance Gold

CPS001

Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:35 pm

I think it will be a wet lease rather than a full fledged induction since I really don't see Spice adding a single widebody, that too a niche type like the A340 with no/few pilots rated for it in India.

I predict a situation like their Amsterdam charter, a wet lease which they will hype up and publicize as "SpiceJet operates the first widebody cargo aircraft in India" etc.

dtw2hyd

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:48 pm

:crossfingers: I wouldn't be surprised if India sees a SpiceJet A380 charter.

IMHO all international flights operated by Indian carriers should be wet-leased.
All posts are just opinions.

sibibom

Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:27 am

Hong Kong bans Air India flights for two weeks

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst

avier

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:06 am

VTORD wrote:
avier wrote:

and this undated piece:

As linked by airboss787, I'm guessing its most likely coming from HiFly itself, as they have converted 3 A340's to freighter variants by removing seats. Thats something similar to what SpiceJet has done with few of their Q400's. Also SG is already using charters from HiFly for pax repatriation, so they might work with them for this too.

avier

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:09 am

sibibom wrote:

Read more at:

The article mentions "the Chinese government" that has acted on this. So, it sounds like as if CCP has some influence over this now.

trinidadeG

Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:39 pm

trinidadeG wrote:

New timings, new start date.

UK015 DEL0215 – 0655LHR
UK016 LHR1535 – 0415 (+1)DEL
Flights on Mon, Wed, Fri starting 28 August

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1295702139923099648

hohd

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:31 pm

avier wrote:
sibibom wrote:

Read more at:

The article mentions "the Chinese government" that has acted on this. So, it sounds like as if CCP has some influence over this now.

Now that China controls HK more than before, look for HK to start giving trouble to Indian carriers. Every time there is a GoI restriction or ban on Chinese companies, HK authorities will get orders to restrict Indian carriers. Even the relatively easy electronic visa for Indian citizens is now in jeopardy. If Indians need to go apply at a consulate for visa, then fewer Indians will travel to HK in the future.

airboss787

Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:32 pm

trinidadeG wrote:
trinidadeG wrote:

New timings, new start date.

UK015 DEL0215 – 0655LHR
UK016 LHR1535 – 0415 (+1)DEL
Flights on Mon, Wed, Fri starting 28 August

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1295702139923099648

Pretty decent timings. Sucks they have to be on the ground for more than 8 hours. But timings should be good for the early morning banks at both airports and demand should help. Should be doable with just 1 aircraft and the other for domestic or spare or maybe the middle east for quick runs. Will be terrible for IRROPS if one goes kaput and the other is already flying somewhere. Good luck to UK in the UK! :biggrin:
Star Alliance Gold

VTORD

Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:50 pm

airboss787 wrote:
This is one example. Thats the only aircraft from my knowledge that is an A340 Cargo aircraft. There exists no program to convert pax A340s to cargo. This is just one with removed seats.
https://simpleflying.com/hi-fly-a340-freigher/

avier wrote:
As linked by airboss787, I'm guessing its most likely coming from HiFly itself, as they have converted 3 A340's to freighter variants by removing seats. Thats something similar to what SpiceJet has done with few of their Q400's. Also SG is already using charters from HiFly for pax repatriation, so they might work with them for this too.

Thanks both! It will be interesting seeing a dedicated cargo A340...

VTORD

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:03 pm

airboss787 wrote:

Pretty decent timings. Sucks they have to be on the ground for more than 8 hours. But timings should be good for the early morning banks at both airports and demand should help. Should be doable with just 1 aircraft and the other for domestic or spare or maybe the middle east for quick runs. Will be terrible for IRROPS if one goes kaput and the other is already flying somewhere. Good luck to UK in the UK! :biggrin:

I would expect ME to go A321. I think apart from Saudi Arabia (not served), both DXB and DOH (not served as of now), don't have enough space in the bilateral to absorb a B789 seat increase. Not sure about Oman. SIN might be better suited for the B789.

Many companies have a presence in SIN from a supply chain oversight stand point and as things normalize and/or some supply chains shift out of China (Disclaimer: my speculation), SIN seems like a good bet for business travel. Plus they may provide a good complementary option to SQ.

avier

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:13 am

In another exodus, half-a-dozen senior executives quit GoAir in recent weeks.
"The top deck at GoAir is now almost empty. In the last few weeks, the airline's company secretary, vice-presidents for international operations, cargo, procurement, customer services, inflight services, and corporate communication quit the carrier as these people were not getting paid since April on account of LWP."

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... aign=cppst

avier

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:54 pm

Today an A321neo of La Compagnie (a French boutique airline) operated non-stop Mumbai-Perth. An impressive feat indeed, knowing the range and opportunities this aircraft type could open up for such service.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-hbuz

hohd

Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:03 pm

avier wrote:
In another exodus, half-a-dozen senior executives quit GoAir in recent weeks.
"The top deck at GoAir is now almost empty. In the last few weeks, the airline's company secretary, vice-presidents for international operations, cargo, procurement, customer services, inflight services, and corporate communication quit the carrier as these people were not getting paid since April on account of LWP."

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... aign=cppst

I thought Air Asia India was vulnerable, but it looks like GoAir might not survive either unless GoI gives a loan or aid package to all Indian carriers.

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:52 pm

Last heard that Cash crunch exists for GoAir & SpiceJet.
With Vaccine available in the country earliest Nov 2020, until then its going to be LWP, Paycuts & Layoffs.
Customer/Passenger confidence will take time to grow, so not before Nov 2020, thereafter with the Economic situation bad, very few might opt to tour.
WFH is reducing business travel.
Commercial Airlines,Tourism & Hotels are all Interlinked
Tough times ahead
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:53 pm

CPS001 wrote:
I think it will be a wet lease rather than a full fledged induction since I really don't see Spice adding a single widebody, that too a niche type like the A340 with no/few pilots rated for it in India.

I predict a situation like their Amsterdam charter, a wet lease which they will hype up and publicize as "SpiceJet operates the first widebody cargo aircraft in India" etc.

Is this Economically viable....Not making sense at the moment
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:12 pm

India's first-ever 777-300ER aircraft to be used for VVIP operations (presently registered as VT=ALV), will be arriving Delhi on 26th or 27th August

CPS001

Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:42 am

CPS001 wrote:

As expected, Spice has leased A340-300 9H-JAI from HiFly. Seats have been removed from its passenger cabin to carry cargo.

https://twitter.com/Vinamralongani/stat ... 5447296002

Inside 9H-JAI:
https://twitter.com/hifly_airline/statu ... 5947061256

VTORD

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:23 pm

From the OAG thread:
UA BOM-EWR SEP 0.9>0.1[0.8]
UA DEL-EWR SEP 1.0>0[0.8]
AI DEL-ORD SEP 0.3>0.7[1.0] OCT 0.4>0.8[1.0]

This is from user @enilria from the post
HOW DO I READ IT?
XXX-YYY DEC 4>5[4] JAN 4>5[4]
XXX Departure IATA code, YYY Arrival IATA code, Month, Average Departures/Day over the month for sale as of last week, Average Departures/Day over the month for sale as of this week, in brackets is the number of Average Departures/Day over the month that were scheduled one year earlier.

unnayan

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:53 pm

avier wrote:
Today an A321neo of La Compagnie (a French boutique airline) operated non-stop Mumbai-Perth. An impressive feat indeed, knowing the range and opportunities this aircraft type could open up for such service.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-hbuz

The flight was going to Australia to pick the cricket team for England series

https://onemileatatime.com/la-compagnie ... er-flight/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos