Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TK787
Topic Author

Turkish Aviation July 2020

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:36 pm

Hello there Turkish Aviation fans,

Finally, we see some flights operating in and out of Turkey. This past week, at one time I counted around 100 TK jets in the air. Still, a good portion of it are Cargo flights but things are improving and I think we can see a dramatic change by tomorrow, July 1st. Pegasus still lagging behind in numbers. I've yet to see more than 10 frames in the air.
It is going to take a long time before airlines can go back to 2019 pax numbers.

I will start with few headlines:

-With the start of MAX certificate flights, who knows we might see some TK MAX’s flying by the end of the year.
-Let’s see if July is the month that we will see 4 x 787-9s and 2 x 350s joining the TK fleet.
-I wonder how TK is doing with their new Europe to Anatolia flights and how is AJet is competing Pegasus at SAW.
-We will see a big increase in number of flights tomorrow, July 1st, with TK increasing capacity both Domestic and International.
-This month ANA was to start daily IST flights with 787.
-SIN was to go from 10 -> 11 weekly for TK this month.

Please continue with your views, news, photos, rumors and good old sense of humor.
Be Safe.

***You can find last month's thread here:
Turkish Aviation June 2020

OA260

Re: Turkish Aviation July 2020

Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:55 pm

Thanks for a new thread. Certainly interesting MAX developments. It will be interesting to see how it pans out in the current climate.

stylo777

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pm

gorgeous intro picture - the 777 remains my favorite beauty :)

would be great to see 4x 787 and 2x 350's joining the fleet, but wasn't there a discussion about deferrals of new deliveries?

Ajet is definitly on the watch list and I'm quite curious to see how their future will look like; especially, the announced domestic focus of XQ will certainly play a role. all of AJet flying ex. ESB is operated by XQ.

lightsaber

Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Is there a timeframe for the new (3rd at IST) runway to activate its ILS?
Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:59 pm

stylo777 wrote:
gorgeous intro picture - the 777 remains my favorite beauty :)

Isn't it incredible that, all you see in the distance behind the 777 in the distance, all that earth has to be moved to make way for 2 more runways in the future.

LAXintl

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:29 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Lightsaber

18/36 has RNP approach available effective June 26th.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

peterinlisbon

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:03 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Lightsaber

I don't know why, but every time I look on Flightradar I see aircraft taxiing from the eastern side of the terminal all the way around to the two western runways, so it seems that this runway isn't really in use yet. Does anyone know what's going on there?

mafaky

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:29 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Lightsaber

I don't know why, but every time I look on Flightradar I see aircraft taxiing from the eastern side of the terminal all the way around to the two western runways, so it seems that this runway isn't really in use yet. Does anyone know what's going on there?

Afaik, the new rwy (18/36) is mostly used for take-offs (esp. for the domestic flights) and some limited landings. The 17/35 rwy set (the western one, nearer to the Terminal) is now closed completely until 24th July (possibly for maintenance or for some other reason such as new systems installation???). Only the 16/34 runway set (the far western one...) is operational at that side.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:45 am

Yep, looking at flightradar, I just saw Hamburg, Rome, Cologne flights land on 34, Igdir and Ankara flights land on 36.
Oh by the way, that ESB flight had to do a go around.
35, in the middle, not being used.

mafaky

Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:34 pm

International flights are using Conrces/Piers A & B on the west side of the Terminal which is nearer to rwys 16/34 & 17/35 (currently closed) while domestic flights have to use Concourse/Pier G on the eastern side and much closer to the recently opened rwy 18/36.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

OA260

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:14 am

Email from TK :

Great accommodation with connecting Turkish Airlines flights

Turkish Airlines is now offering accommodation services to passengers flying from outside Turkey who have connecting flights departing from Istanbul Airport to their onward destination outside of Turkey. Why not take advantage of a refreshing layover in Istanbul yourself?

Terms and conditions

Economy Class passengers having a connection time of 12 hours or longer and Business Class passengers having a connection time of 9 hours or longer can benefit from hotel service free of charge in case a transit flight with a shorter connection time is not provided for the related travel. (Note: For transit flights with a connection time shorter than the designated above, you will not be able to benefit from this service even if the transit flight with a shorter connection time is full.) For example, if passengers are provided with 2 different options for London - Dubai travel, as a flight with 6-hour connection time and a flight with 12-hour connection time, the passenger who has selected the flight with 12-hour connection time will not benefit from this service even if the 6-hour option is full.
The layover period is calculated taking the landing time of the first flight and departure time of the second flight as a basis.
A maximum of two nights’ accommodation will be offered.
Passengers holding tickets which qualify them for this service may no longer be eligible for it if changes to their tickets are made.
If the layover period falls below 12 hours for Economy Class journeys, or 9 hours for Business Class journeys, the hotel service will not be offered. Ticket changes can be made without paying additional fees or deductions.
Turkish Airlines will select the hotel accommodating passengers.
The accommodation service is available to international passengers traveling from outside Turkey who have a connecting flight to their final destination outside Turkey which departs from Istanbul Airport.
If your travel plans meet this criteria, please apply to our Hotel Desk at Istanbul Airport.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:00 am

OA260 wrote:
Email from TK :

Great accommodation with connecting Turkish Airlines flights

It could be nice. I wonder what hotel they are using. Maybe YOTEL?
Otherwise it would be another hassle to leave the terminal to go who knows where for 9 hours.

TKflyer

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:06 am

After SunExpress Germany (XG/SXD) was grounded, is there any possibility that SunExpress (XQ/SXS) can took the 3 Boeing 737–9 MAX (ex D–ASMB cn 64963/7458, D–ASMA cn 64960/7468 and D–ASMC cn 64967/7484) leased from ACG?
Is there a demand for it?

Senti69

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:32 am

Do we have any info on loads for Turkish carriers in the past months?

peterinlisbon

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:47 pm

mafaky wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Lightsaber

Afaik, the new rwy (18/36) is mostly used for take-offs (esp. for the domestic flights) and some limited landings. The 17/35 rwy set (the western one, nearer to the Terminal) is now closed completely until 24th July (possibly for maintenance or for some other reason such as new systems installation???). Only the 16/34 runway set (the far western one...) is operational at that side.

I see, but why no takeoffs from the new runway?

Mystic

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:11 pm

Wait? Is TK really letting go of the A350?

mxp

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Just a curiosity how is service in business lounge as for now?
Stay safe all
Thx
Alberto

lightsaber

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:12 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
mafaky wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

I guess I should have asked, when will the new runway be fully operational. ;) My unstated question is, when van the long taxi times be cut?

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:14 pm

Mystic wrote:

Could you please tell us more :)

Mystic

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:21 pm

TK787 wrote:
Mystic wrote:

Could you please tell us more :)

THY, haziran ayında da uçağı almaktan vazgeçti. TC-LGA tescilli uçak, Fransa’da Tarbes Havalimanı’na gönderildi.
Uçak yeni sahibini bulana kadar Tarbes’te bekleyecek.
COVID19 pandemisi nedeniyle Mart ayında teslimat tarihi ertelenen uçağın, bu ay içinde Türk Hava Yolları filosuna katılması planlanıyordu.

https://www.bagimsizhavacilar.com/turk- ... zCItQ1ALxk

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Thanks. I hope TK wants to lease this frame till things improve but...
Let's wait what happens, if this actually gets confirmed.
Is there any airline out there, that needs this frame anyway?

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:36 pm

lightsaber wrote:
when van the long taxi times be cut?

Lightsaber

There are reports that long taxi times are cut for some flights; like.. if you leave on a Domestic flight from the Domestic Pier and you take off from the new runway.
But for the majority of other flights, not a whole lot is going to change, especially when things get a bit busier.
To add, the long taxi times are not due to traffic on taxi-ways, it is just the long distances between the terminal and 34-35 runways. And that is where all of the traffic will end up for International flights.

MoonC

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:01 pm

Mystic wrote:

No, delaying it.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:52 am

peterinlisbon wrote:

It is happening. And to my surprise today, I saw an International departure from the new runway.
TK Brussels took off from 34 at the same time as TK Lyon took of from 36 (the new runway)

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:51 pm

Yep, as I was saying only few days ago.... Why is TK flying to LAX and MIA where infection rates are rocketing and not flying to JFK.
TK suspends LAX and MIA till July8th. I have a feeling that, this will get extended for months and other US destinations will follow :(

Mystic

Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:53 pm

Bad news for Corendon. They announced holiday flights to Turkey on july 10 but the dutch goverment slammed them so Corendon pulled it untill july 22th. The dutch goverment is strictly against letting people in from Turkey so people are hesitant to go. Its unfair as other Turkish companies fly to Amsterdam while Corendon is being told no.

On a more positive note, the UK put Turkey on the list for countries that may travel and enter the UK starting july 10. Thankfully!

marcogr12

Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:43 pm

I dont know if it's positive but the fact that Turkey is open to US when they are their worst point epidemic-wise and Turkey itself isn't doing any better either cannot be good..it's like a mega-exchange of virus infections...i am worried that once autumn comes we are gonna see things get a lot worse..
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

Jetty

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Mystic wrote:
Bad news for Corendon. They announced holiday flights to Turkey on july 10 but the dutch goverment slammed them so Corendon pulled it untill july 22th. The dutch goverment is strictly against letting people in from Turkey so people are hesitant to go. Its unfair as other Turkish companies fly to Amsterdam while Corendon is being told no.

On a more positive note, the UK put Turkey on the list for countries that may travel and enter the UK starting july 10. Thankfully!

Has little to do with the Dutch government: the EU still has a travel ban for non-essential travel to Turkey. Package holidays hardly qualify as essential travel. :lol:

OTTOMANAIR

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:57 am

Jetty wrote:
Mystic wrote:

Has little to do with the Dutch government: the EU still has a travel ban for non-essential travel to Turkey. Package holidays hardly qualify as essential travel. :lol:

This is purely based on protectionism. They know the EU tourism sector would be hit hard if they labeled Turkey as a safe country. Cases in Germany are rising again and they are still labeled as orange. Don’t get me wrong, but I can’t take the EU seriously with their list of safe countries. Turkey did so much better than most European countries battling the virus.

Mystic

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:47 am

If you look at Cyprus you see that the south side is coded yellow while the Turkish side is orange. Its a political game. They want to keep the money of the europeans inside the inside europe because they know people are going to flock to Turkey. Corendon received hundreds of bookings the first they it announced the flights. There is a huge demand. While Italy and Spain are open to travel when they have worse statistics compared to Turkey.

canmau

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:43 pm

Mystic wrote:
If you look at Cyprus you see that the south side is coded yellow while the Turkish side is orange. Its a political game. They want to keep the money of the europeans inside the inside europe because they know people are going to flock to Turkey. Corendon received hundreds of bookings the first they it announced the flights. There is a huge demand. While Italy and Spain are open to travel when they have worse statistics compared to Turkey.

Italy 7-Day New Cases Average: 175
Spain 7-Day New Cases Average: 442
Turkey 7-Day New Cases Average: 1278

While it may be true that the peaks in both countries were much higher than Turkey's official numbers, the current situation does not reflect that. Until July, Spain was closed too, and Italy until sometime in June. That being said, these nations are in the EU which pledges to treat EU citizens as they do their own Nationals. Closed borders are not really compatible with these factors, so EU internal borders opening up earlier makes sense. Additionally, the EU has also put Tunisia and Morocco on the Safe Travel List as well, which have similar numbers to Italy. Protectionism may be a factor, but I do not believe the numbers show it to be conclusively so.

EU Criteria for declaring a country safe state that the 14-Day Case Notification Rate per 100,000 people must be below that of the EU Average - something I believe to be a fair condition. If we compare that of the EU's to Turkey:
EU Average: 13.4
Turkey: ~23

We see that Turkey does not meet the above criteria to be placed on the Safe List.

Jetty

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:39 pm

OTTOMANAIR wrote:
Jetty wrote:
Mystic wrote:

This is purely based on protectionism. They know the EU tourism sector would be hit hard if they labeled Turkey as a safe country. Cases in Germany are rising again and they are still labeled as orange. Don’t get me wrong, but I can’t take the EU seriously with their list of safe countries. Turkey did so much better than most European countries battling the virus.

Don’t make a conspiracy theory out of everything. They labeled Thailand and Tunesia safe, which would make no sense from a protectionist perspective. Simple fact is that right now Corona is worse in Turkey than many other countries.

Mystic wrote:

Cyprus isn’t a relevant comparison because the list is only about non-EU countries. Cyprus is in the EU and the so-called Nothern-Cyprus not.

marcogr12

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:07 pm

In the last 3 days Turkey has reported more than 3300 new cases and Cyprus 0...It has nothing to do with political games..It's just that epidemiologically Turkey is still at its peak phase..Not very safe right now..Neither are UK,US,Russia and Ukraine..When things start going better i am sure bookings will skyrocket for Turkey..
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

TK787
Topic Author

Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:03 pm

A friend of mine in NYC returned to Turkey and he chose to fly Qatar Economy via Doha. He said both flights were full and uncomfortable. He had to wear the provided mask and the shield on board all the way. One way fare was about $600.

OTTOMANAIR

Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:01 pm

Jetty wrote:
OTTOMANAIR wrote:
Jetty wrote:

Don’t make a conspiracy theory out of everything. They labeled Thailand and Tunesia safe, which would make no sense from a protectionist perspective. Simple fact is that right now Corona is worse in Turkey than many other countries.

Mystic wrote:

Cyprus isn’t a relevant comparison because the list is only about non-EU countries. Cyprus is in the EU and the so-called Nothern-Cyprus not.

You are comparing apples with pears. Not everyone is willing to fly 12 hours from Europe to Thailand to have a 1 week vacation. Tunesia is indeed not far, but it isn’t a threat to the EU tourism sector. Turkey is close AND has a competitive holiday packages, beaches, hotels, etc.

Mystic

Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:36 pm

Anyone know why Corendon TC-TJI went to IST? Maybe maintenance?

Also wondering why TK is only using a 737 on the LGW-AYT route. Why not a wide body? The demand should be high.

mafaky

Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:16 pm

TK787 wrote:
A friend of mine in NYC returned to Turkey and he chose to fly Qatar Economy via Doha. He said both flights were full and uncomfortable. He had to wear the provided mask and the shield on board all the way. One way fare was about $600.

A young friend of mine will also be traveling IST-DOH-IAD-DOH-IST, starting on the 15th., returning the end of the month. He is quite a pro and will post his experiences in due course... Nice thing for him, he will be flying Airbus 359 between DOH & IAD.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:23 pm

TK787 wrote:

Oh, by the way, there was a 11 hour layover at DOHA, he was hoping to get a hotel room at the airport. No chance. He says, airport was very crowded, lounges full, hotels all booked. Eventually he got some space/shower at the lounge. No forms filled, No virus tests for transfer pax, he reports.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:07 am

I don't see an update but seems like TK stopped some US flights. LAX and MIA was supposed to be suspended for a week till July 8th, but no flights so far. JFK was supposed to start today, let's see what happens.

-UPDATE: Now, TK Website says LAX, SFO, MIA, JFK, YUL start days July 15th. ORD, IAD July 12th.

AirbusA343

Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:01 pm

I just saw on a Routesonline update that TK will be operating Dubai with a mixture of 777s and most importantly, A350s, starting August 1st. That should mean that TK will be taking delivery of their first A350 pretty imminently? Manila will be getting A350s from August 2nd. Also, the Pakistan routes will be getting 777s and 787s, they used to be A330 operated before the pandemic.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/292320/turkish-airlines-julyaugust-2020-inter-continental-network-as-of-07jul20

mafaky

Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:50 pm

AirbusA343 wrote:
I just saw on a Routesonline update that TK will be operating Dubai with a mixture of 777s and most importantly, A350s, starting August 1st. That should mean that TK will be taking delivery of their first A350 pretty imminently? Manila will be getting A350s from August 2nd. Also, the Pakistan routes will be getting 777s and 787s, they used to be A330 operated before the pandemic.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/292320/turkish-airlines-julyaugust-2020-inter-continental-network-as-of-07jul20

Just a guess: Can it be that some 333 and 77W have to undergo longer time-taking big maintenance checks that will evidently cause some shortage on the current 333/77W fleet?

Regarding Pakistan: PIA has been totally banned to fly to Eruope/otherwise entire EU states. Yes, the ME3 (EK, EY & QR) may come to the rescue, but why not also TK? That may give a valid reason for the upgauge of TK frames flying to Pakistan.

AirbusA343

Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:41 pm

Thanks for your reply Mafaky!

On another note, TK has taken delivery of two more A321neos recently (TC-LSS and TC-LST).

Mystic

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:06 am

I love that TK is sending 787 to Kiev on a daily basis, next to the influx of Ukraine Int, SkyUp and Azur Airlines coming to different Turkish cities. Ukraine is propably the biggest tourism gate for Turkey right now.

I notice on different routes that the type ac changes very frequently from a smaller to a bigger plane and back to smaller the next day like Berlin from a A330 to a 737. How does that work? Is that caused by overselling the flight on that specific day so they decide to change it to a bigger type to get more seats available but sell less tickets on the other days? Or is it randomised whichever plane is available?

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:16 am

Don't forget about Cargo besides pax.

GlenP

Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:30 am

Quick head-up to anyone having had TK flights cancelled over the last few days and looking to use the online change facility.

Had the outbound IST - CAI cancelled in the early hours of Thursday morning, but found the online system wasn't working. Thankfully I was able to sort things very quickly with a very helpful lass, in their London Sales Office, although it did mean switching to earlier flights and arriving in Cairo at 01:20, with the onward domestic flight, to LXR, not opening for check-in for another 8 hours; this is too short a time to travel into the city, for a hotel and too long to let you stay in the terminal.

However, the return CAI - IST, evening flight was cancelled first thing this morning and, although the online system is working, it only offered "Economy Promotional" flights, which isn't what you want, when you've booked Business. Doesn't matter how often you look to do things online, or whether you look at a codeshare with MS, the same thing happens. There's also the problem that the TK operated service departs CAI 02:20, and gets you to IST with only 1:45 between flights; I'm not certain this is possible with current changes; also means I get back to the UK 24 hours earlier, and cocks up the car parking booking, and Cairo hotel booking to boot.

I've lodged a query via the main TK website COVID-19 page and will update further, as either this, or telephone changes, may be the best way to proceed for others in this situation.
Ubique Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

MeCe

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:56 pm

TK787 wrote:
I don't see an update but seems like TK stopped some US flights. LAX and MIA was supposed to be suspended for a week till July 8th, but no flights so far. JFK was supposed to start today, let's see what happens.

-UPDATE: Now, TK Website says LAX, SFO, MIA, JFK, YUL start days July 15th. ORD, IAD July 12th.

ORD and IAD operating regularly 3 weekly since last month. Do not hold your breath for LAX, SFO and MIA. I dont think Turkish DGCA release permisson with this new covid numbers. There is a slight chance for JFK but do not know exactly.

Mystic

Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:04 pm

TK's website/app booking system and customer service is horrible compared to Pegasus. My Pegasus flight on july 2nd was cancelled and a new, earlier flight was added. On the app, I was able to select the new flight get a new booking code as simple as that. With TK i had to issue a refund and buy a new ticket which failed because the app thought I was a bot and took my money 3 times without issueing a booking. I wasnt able to reach the customer service for 4 hours and when I got someone, she couldnt do anything for me since I dont use a creditcard. My cousin who works in app developing said their app had many faults. They need to get a better developer team and learn from PC.

fil87

Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:33 pm

Here is a review from Josh Cahill (he just posted it) of a very recent TK flight he took from Jakarta to Istanbul. For a 12 hour-flight, this new level of service is simply not acceptable in my opinion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=op9jXnApjLg

Blerg

Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:58 pm

Wow that's just bad. I am surprised they didn't offer anything else on a ten hour flight. Is it me or are they not even serving drinks?

fil87

Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Blerg wrote:
Wow that's just bad. I am surprised they didn't offer anything else on a ten hour flight. Is it me or are they not even serving drinks?

Jakarta to IST (flight TK 57) is 11 hours (to be precise). Havent seen drinks either in the video.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos