Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OB1504

Re: AA reconsidering seatback video screens

Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:12 am

stl07 wrote:
I'll be the guy to say it. Despite it being very uncomfortable, I love project oasis. Why? Because it has brought AAs pricing down significantly in my home market. They are usually priced at the same as F9 in my market. I love IFE, but I don't really care if AA doesn't have it and Delta or United does, because the lower price on AA made the trip possible to begin with. I have also noticed that there are way more people from all walks of life on AA flights then there used to be.

The problem is when you live in an AA-dominated market and they want to charge you DL prices for an F9 product.

Miamiairport wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
The real reason behind this rethink is the technology has emerged to remove most of the costs. DL's A220 AVOD is literally just a seat back tablet that gets streamed to. No wiring issues, easy to maintain and replace and significantly lighter than traditional AVOD. AA is probably looking at that.

Then does AA plan on just operating some of the narrow body fleet with them or all of them? If the latter there's a cost to install and maintain them and I don't see Parker willing to spend money on the "brand." Presumably the 738s/A321s with AVOD could be used on longer routes but that would cut down on a/c utilization efficiency.

Given how little AA cares about offering a consistent hard product, I wouldn’t be surprised if they only put AVOD back into a small subfleet of 737s/A321s. Even better if it’s a system completely unrelated to the previous one and requires its own parts and techs.

N649DL

Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:37 am

airhansa wrote:
1) I often think that planes without those screens are cheap or old. I associate them with low cost airlines rather than full service airlines.

2) You need to have enough battery on your tablet for the entire flight.

3) An airline with an PTV is one more function than an airline without.

Besides issues with battery life on tablets, the other big issue are working vs. broken charging ports on planes as well. That, and I also personally despise using my iPhone or laptop to watch movies on a plane. With my work laptop it's because it has issues connecting to the Wi-Fi inflight because of company VPN settings (which are even more sophisticated on a Mac) and with the iPhone it's because of the small screen (or the sheer fact that it's a giant P.I.T.A. in general for video streaming.)

I can see tablets being a little better for video streaming content on board, but I don't own one yet iPad especially (but I'm about to ditch the iPhone when my contract is up next month since it's the f-ing worst.) Connecting to Wi-Fi reliably on a plane really isn't there yet in terms of technology, if you ask me.

USAirALB

Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:37 am

N649DL wrote:
Connecting to Wi-Fi reliably on a plane really isn't there yet in terms of technology, if you ask me.

I agree.

While I have no issues connecting with my MacBook, I have particular trouble with my iPhone. After connecting to the signal, my phone never seems to be able to catch onto the WiFi portal (aainflight.com) to access the internet. I've never had this issue with any other carrier, but it is always an issue on AA, particularly on aircraft fitted with Gogo.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

usflyer msp

Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:13 pm

acavpics wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
The real reason behind this rethink is the technology has emerged to remove most of the costs. DL's A220 AVOD is literally just a seat back tablet that gets streamed to. No wiring issues, easy to maintain and replace and significantly lighter than traditional AVOD. AA is probably looking at that.

Is the same seat back tablet system on their newly refurbished A320's and 737's?

No, only the A220 has the streaming system. I suspect it will be standard on all future types, however.

N649DL

Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:36 pm

USAirALB wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Connecting to Wi-Fi reliably on a plane really isn't there yet in terms of technology, if you ask me.

I agree.

While I have no issues connecting with my MacBook, I have particular trouble with my iPhone. After connecting to the signal, my phone never seems to be able to catch onto the WiFi portal (aainflight.com) to access the internet. I've never had this issue with any other carrier, but it is always an issue on AA, particularly on aircraft fitted with Gogo.

The issue with my company MacBook is it has this awful endpoint security that doesn't play nice with in-flight WI-fi systems. It has to be disabled or you have to retry rebooting the machine 6-7 times before the splash page for Gogo pops up. When the endpoint is disabled, it still takes a few tries to restart Firefox to get Gogo to work. This was always on Delta (which in general has bad inflight internet anyway) but I had the same issues with hotel WI-fi on this computer as well, especially Hilton.

graham697

Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:13 pm

Frankly, AA should partner with another tablet manufacturer (aka Samsung) to develop the system. Just like Delta's inhouse designed system but they could even allow Samsung to brand the monitors which would further bring costs down. There are ways to offer a consistent product at a good price - you just need product managers... Something I don't think AA has ever truly had.

dstblj52

Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:13 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
acavpics wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Is the same seat back tablet system on their newly refurbished A320's and 737's?

No, only the A220 has the streaming system. I suspect it will be standard on all future types, however.

Wait I thought it was also on the 339 and possibly the 359

HII

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:06 pm

OB1504 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Here’s the fundamental problem with seatback IFE: my kids love it. I don’t care. So it’s a differentiator for leisure passengers but not those of us who pay the bills.

Most people care about PTVs. Everyone I know not on a.net says their plane was "old" or "crappy" and it's just because it didn't have a PTV. Every flight I'm on, majority of people are using them always.

I think AA will revert this, but after covid unless they just decide to pivot to be a true ULCC. Oasis config was a terrible idea and went too far. It has a reputation so large its hurt AAs at this point.

I was on a new 737 MAX last year and overhead passengers commenting about how they got stuck with an old plane because the flight attendants were doing a manual safety demo and the seats were "obviously" ancient because of how uncomfortable they were.

I love hearing those comments, because I much preferred older seats such as LUS pre-merger seats for their comfort!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos