Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
T5towbar
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:06 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:31 pm

N649DL wrote:
STT757 wrote:
The goal is to move the Terminals further West to front Highways 1 & 9, similar to the new Terminal One. They would then move much of the airport's infrastructure on the other side of the highway. Developers already have eyes set on the former Waverly yards site where the airport rail link station is located. That huge undeveloped track would see new apartments, hotels, offices etc.. spring up around a new centralized terminal. As part of the PATH extension to EWR they will make the rail link station open to the public, allowing access to Amtrak, NJ Transit and PATH.

https://www.buildingcongress.com/uploads/Building_the_Future_of_New_York_-_Newark_v5b_reduced_size.pdf

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-estate/builders-envision-new-airport-city-newark

https://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/could-an-airport-city-be-coming-to-newark/


I forgot about this plan. It's super ambitious, but also incredible urban planning. Is it still being considered or is it just a pipe dream?



This is interesting. I forgot about the old Conrail Waverly Yards. The PATH extension is supposed to go thru that area. But it could be developed.
As far as moving the airport westward (US 1&9) could be re-routed. The plan sounds good in theory, but what about the Anheuser-Busch brewery just south of the airport?
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!
 
User avatar
airzim
Posts: 1441
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2001 7:40 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 pm

T5towbar wrote:
N649DL wrote:
STT757 wrote:
The goal is to move the Terminals further West to front Highways 1 & 9, similar to the new Terminal One. They would then move much of the airport's infrastructure on the other side of the highway. Developers already have eyes set on the former Waverly yards site where the airport rail link station is located. That huge undeveloped track would see new apartments, hotels, offices etc.. spring up around a new centralized terminal. As part of the PATH extension to EWR they will make the rail link station open to the public, allowing access to Amtrak, NJ Transit and PATH.

https://www.buildingcongress.com/uploads/Building_the_Future_of_New_York_-_Newark_v5b_reduced_size.pdf

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-estate/builders-envision-new-airport-city-newark

https://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/could-an-airport-city-be-coming-to-newark/


I forgot about this plan. It's super ambitious, but also incredible urban planning. Is it still being considered or is it just a pipe dream?



This is interesting. I forgot about the old Conrail Waverly Yards. The PATH extension is supposed to go thru that area. But it could be developed.
As far as moving the airport westward (US 1&9) could be re-routed. The plan sounds good in theory, but what about the Anheuser-Busch brewery just south of the airport?


Or the new runway that seems to be pointing directly at a large residential area in Elizabeth, NJ. Just don't see this happening
 
WorldFlier
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:40 am

Insertnamehere wrote:
Does this mean that EWR wont be the cesspit of America it currently is?



When's the last time you were in Terminal C?

(Terminal A and B are shitholes - if the President can use the word, so can I)
 
WorldFlier
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:46 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Extremely weird and useless that an entire terminal gets its own thread here on a.net. Definitely unnecessary tbh. You don’t see LAX’s concourse with its own thread or DFW’s new terminal with a thread.

Moderators, please delete this thread. Thank you.



JFK-like typing detected.
 
JFKalumni
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:04 am

T5towbar wrote:
N649DL wrote:
STT757 wrote:
The goal is to move the Terminals further West to front Highways 1 & 9, similar to the new Terminal One. They would then move much of the airport's infrastructure on the other side of the highway. Developers already have eyes set on the former Waverly yards site where the airport rail link station is located. That huge undeveloped track would see new apartments, hotels, offices etc.. spring up around a new centralized terminal. As part of the PATH extension to EWR they will make the rail link station open to the public, allowing access to Amtrak, NJ Transit and PATH.

https://www.buildingcongress.com/uploads/Building_the_Future_of_New_York_-_Newark_v5b_reduced_size.pdf

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-estate/builders-envision-new-airport-city-newark

https://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/could-an-airport-city-be-coming-to-newark/


I forgot about this plan. It's super ambitious, but also incredible urban planning. Is it still being considered or is it just a pipe dream?



This is interesting. I forgot about the old Conrail Waverly Yards. The PATH extension is supposed to go thru that area. But it could be developed.
As far as moving the airport westward (US 1&9) could be re-routed. The plan sounds good in theory, but what about the Anheuser-Busch brewery just south of the airport?


The employee parking lots, the brewery, the hotel, all will have to go. It would be nice if there’s enough space for a 3rd parallel runway along route 1/9 but again how will Newark tower and NY Tracon redesign the helicopter flight routes.
 
N649DL
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:46 pm

T5towbar wrote:
N649DL wrote:
STT757 wrote:
The goal is to move the Terminals further West to front Highways 1 & 9, similar to the new Terminal One. They would then move much of the airport's infrastructure on the other side of the highway. Developers already have eyes set on the former Waverly yards site where the airport rail link station is located. That huge undeveloped track would see new apartments, hotels, offices etc.. spring up around a new centralized terminal. As part of the PATH extension to EWR they will make the rail link station open to the public, allowing access to Amtrak, NJ Transit and PATH.

https://www.buildingcongress.com/uploads/Building_the_Future_of_New_York_-_Newark_v5b_reduced_size.pdf

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-estate/builders-envision-new-airport-city-newark

https://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/could-an-airport-city-be-coming-to-newark/


I forgot about this plan. It's super ambitious, but also incredible urban planning. Is it still being considered or is it just a pipe dream?



This is interesting. I forgot about the old Conrail Waverly Yards. The PATH extension is supposed to go thru that area. But it could be developed.
As far as moving the airport westward (US 1&9) could be re-routed. The plan sounds good in theory, but what about the Anheuser-Busch brewery just south of the airport?


Not to mention a freaking cemetery is likely in the way as well. I think the Busch factory is outlined in the plan as "Commercial," but clearly wouldn't fit into EWR City unless they dressed it up nicely. It literally looks like a refinery and not a brewery.

What doesn't make a whole lot of sense is the people mover system going past the new runway. They'd either need to build that below ground as a tunnel or something. And there's a ton of rail infrastructure & refurbishment that would need to happen as well and some of it is pretty unnecessary.

Then again, NJ has *apparently* made nearby Harrison recently desirable and relatively quickly on top of old factory grounds. So you never know.
 
ddaly241
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:57 pm

I heard that a future 12 gate expansion decision is still under development, but the PA said that the 12 gate expansion would be extending the north concourse of terminal 1. Why would they want to extend the north concourse when hopefully the new terminal 2 to reface terminal B would be constructed there? If that makes sense.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14124
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:39 pm

They're on schedule for opening next year, the Port Authority hosted a media event on Monday.

https://www.nj.com/galleries/E7CAC3PWLFDNJEOTI3XL62NSSA/
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
ddaly241
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:51 pm

STT757 wrote:
They're on schedule for opening next year, the Port Authority hosted a media event on Monday.

https://www.nj.com/galleries/E7CAC3PWLFDNJEOTI3XL62NSSA/


Wow, the pictures inside the new terminal look amazing!
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14124
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:18 pm

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
atlflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 723
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:13 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:07 pm

STT757 wrote:


Much better article at showing the layout. It’s going to be nice than the renderings...
 
Jerseyguy
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:05 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:08 am

STT757 wrote:


Great article and it provided breaking news, apparently Southwest is coming back to Newark :stirthepot:. I guess the articles author had an old airline list for Terminal A. :D

So this definitely a huge improvement makes me want to fly from Newark again. Does anyone know what they are going to do for an entrance road to Terminal 1? Are they going to improve Earhart Drive? And will there be a separate entrance for those coming from the Turnpike (13A) via NJ 81?
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14124
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:53 pm

Jerseyguy wrote:
STT757 wrote:


Great article and it provided breaking news, apparently Southwest is coming back to Newark :stirthepot:. I guess the articles author had an old airline list for Terminal A. :D

So this definitely a huge improvement makes me want to fly from Newark again. Does anyone know what they are going to do for an entrance road to Terminal 1? Are they going to improve Earhart Drive? And will there be a separate entrance for those coming from the Turnpike (13A) via NJ 81?


Good question, I think if exiting North towards Exit 14, the Pulaski Sky, NJ 21 you would join Brewster road. If heading to Exit 13A you would take Earhart to North Ave. What I'm interested in is that they want to incorporate Jersey food establishments. My favorite was the Garden State Diner in Terminal C, I think it moved? That was a quintessential Jersey diner, they even had a framed letter from President George H.W. Bush hanging in the window who lauded their Omelets while he was waiting for a flight to Brazil.

Besides diners I'm trying to figure out some good Jersey establishments that could go in there.

1. A real Pizza parlor, not one of those tourist trap New York "Original whatever" nonsense. (Westmont)
2. A Real bagel store (Manalapan)
3. Someplace that makes pork roll egg and cheese with ketchup, salt and pepper (East Windsor)
4. Italian style hot dogs (Woodbridge)
5. Sub shop, Cheese steaks (Anthony Bourdain proved the best Philly Cheesesteaks are actually in New Jersey) (Camden)
6. Portuguese/Spanish food (Newark)
7.Cuban sandwich (Union City)
8. Korean fried Chicken (Fort Lee)
9. Italian pastries, espresso (Hoboken)
10. Rook Coffee (Long Branch)
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
T5towbar
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:06 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:03 pm

STT757 wrote:
Jerseyguy wrote:
STT757 wrote:


Great article and it provided breaking news, apparently Southwest is coming back to Newark :stirthepot:. I guess the articles author had an old airline list for Terminal A. :D

So this definitely a huge improvement makes me want to fly from Newark again. Does anyone know what they are going to do for an entrance road to Terminal 1? Are they going to improve Earhart Drive? And will there be a separate entrance for those coming from the Turnpike (13A) via NJ 81?


Good question, I think if exiting North towards Exit 14, the Pulaski Sky, NJ 21 you would join Brewster road. If heading to Exit 13A you would take Earhart to North Ave. What I'm interested in is that they want to incorporate Jersey food establishments. My favorite was the Garden State Diner in Terminal C, I think it moved? That was a quintessential Jersey diner, they even had a framed letter from President George H.W. Bush hanging in the window who lauded their Omelets while he was waiting for a flight to Brazil.

Besides diners I'm trying to figure out some good Jersey establishments that could go in there.

1. A real Pizza parlor, not one of those tourist trap New York "Original whatever" nonsense. (Westmont)
2. A Real bagel store (Manalapan)
3. Someplace that makes pork roll egg and cheese with ketchup, salt and pepper (East Windsor)
4. Italian style hot dogs (Woodbridge)
5. Sub shop, Cheese steaks (Anthony Bourdain proved the best Philly Cheesesteaks are actually in New Jersey) (Camden)
6. Portuguese/Spanish food (Newark)
7.Cuban sandwich (Union City)
8. Korean fried Chicken (Fort Lee)
9. Italian pastries, espresso (Hoboken)
10. Rook Coffee (Long Branch)



I hope that OTG doesn't get the food contract. There options are kind of bland....... More drinking choices than food options.

I (as someone from NJ) can agree on most of your list. Are you originally from South Jersey? Nobody I know (north of I-195) calls it "pork roll"..... it's Taylor Ham! And some of the best cheesesteaks are from NJ (South Jersey, of course....)

Put in a "Jimmy Buff's" and I'm there!!!!
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:14 pm

Honestly, we have swung a little too far on the genuine, local options.

Sometimes you just want a quick, cheap burger and fries from a national chain, and too many airports dont have that option anymore.

Judging by the line at O’Hares Mc Donalds, MCOs Burger Kings and ATLs Panda Express...I am not the only one that feels that way.

OTG and their prepackaged Turkey sandwich gets old after a while.
 
CobaltScar
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:31 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Honestly, we have swung a little too far on the genuine, local options.

Sometimes you just want a quick, cheap burger and fries from a national chain, and too many airports dont have that option anymore.

Judging by the line at O’Hares Mc Donalds, MCOs Burger Kings and ATLs Panda Express...I am not the only one that feels that way.

OTG and their prepackaged Turkey sandwich gets old after a while.


The line for popcorn at O'Hares is always longer. And there is nothing but other garbage alongside the burgerking at MCO. MCO seems to have nothing but the worse mall-style fastfood there is, beyond the sitdown restaurants at least.
 
Jerseyguy
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:05 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:25 pm

T5towbar wrote:
STT757 wrote:
Jerseyguy wrote:

Great article and it provided breaking news, apparently Southwest is coming back to Newark :stirthepot:. I guess the articles author had an old airline list for Terminal A. :D

So this definitely a huge improvement makes me want to fly from Newark again. Does anyone know what they are going to do for an entrance road to Terminal 1? Are they going to improve Earhart Drive? And will there be a separate entrance for those coming from the Turnpike (13A) via NJ 81?


I (as someone from NJ) can agree on most of your list. Are you originally from South Jersey? Nobody I know (north of I-195) calls it "pork roll"..... it's Taylor Ham! And some of the best cheesesteaks are from NJ (South Jersey, of course....)

Put in a "Jimmy Buff's" and I'm there!!!!


As someone who has lived in Monmouth county (Neptune, Avon, Belmar, Ocean, Freehold) for 30 years and extreme northern Ocean County (Northern Jackson) for 12, I've always called it pork roll and have never heard of it called Taylor Ham by anyone local.
Last edited by Jerseyguy on Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
N62NA
Posts: 4469
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:40 pm

STT757 wrote:
Besides diners I'm trying to figure out some good Jersey establishments that could go in there.

1. A real Pizza parlor, not one of those tourist trap New York "Original whatever" nonsense. (Westmont)
2. A Real bagel store (Manalapan)
3. Someplace that makes pork roll egg and cheese with ketchup, salt and pepper (East Windsor)
4. Italian style hot dogs (Woodbridge)
5. Sub shop, Cheese steaks (Anthony Bourdain proved the best Philly Cheesesteaks are actually in New Jersey) (Camden)
6. Portuguese/Spanish food (Newark)
7.Cuban sandwich (Union City)
8. Korean fried Chicken (Fort Lee)
9. Italian pastries, espresso (Hoboken)
10. Rook Coffee (Long Branch)



I would love to see Rutt's Hut there!
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14124
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:17 pm

Jerseyguy wrote:
T5towbar wrote:
STT757 wrote:

I (as someone from NJ) can agree on most of your list. Are you originally from South Jersey? Nobody I know (north of I-195) calls it "pork roll"..... it's Taylor Ham! And some of the best cheesesteaks are from NJ (South Jersey, of course....)

Put in a "Jimmy Buff's" and I'm there!!!!


As someone who has lived in Monmouth county (Neptune, Avon, Belmar, Ocean, Freehold) for 30 years and extreme northern Ocean County (Northern Jackson) for 12, I've always called it pork roll and have never heard of it called Taylor Ham by anyone local.


I'm by Freehold, it's Pork roll.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
N649DL
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:41 pm

ddaly241 wrote:
I heard that a future 12 gate expansion decision is still under development, but the PA said that the 12 gate expansion would be extending the north concourse of terminal 1. Why would they want to extend the north concourse when hopefully the new terminal 2 to reface terminal B would be constructed there? If that makes sense.


IIRC, Terminal 2 is just a proposal at the moment. I would think it's because unlike Terminal A, Terminal B has actually had periodic upgrades and additions built so it's not as much of a piece of crap. It also is EWR's main terminal for International Arrivals as well.
 
T5towbar
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:06 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:12 pm

N649DL wrote:
ddaly241 wrote:
I heard that a future 12 gate expansion decision is still under development, but the PA said that the 12 gate expansion would be extending the north concourse of terminal 1. Why would they want to extend the north concourse when hopefully the new terminal 2 to reface terminal B would be constructed there? If that makes sense.


IIRC, Terminal 2 is just a proposal at the moment. I would think it's because unlike Terminal A, Terminal B has actually had periodic upgrades and additions built so it's not as much of a piece of crap. It also is EWR's main terminal for International Arrivals as well.



Terminal B is not that bad. DL has did some nice work for their operations in B-1. Also a new British Airways club was built as well. The terminal has been modernized to handle the flow of international flights, hence the expanded Customs area. The only problem is the layout which causes problems with larger planes sticking out towards the taxiway. The new (preliminary) design of the terminal is shaped like a "U" shape terminal for better egress for larger planes. I hope one day it will eventually get built, but IMHO the monorail (AirTrain) has to be the next project on the PA's things to do list. And I think that the PATH extension will coincide with that project.

Terminal A has outlived it's usefullness, and I'm glad to see it go away.


STT757 wrote:
Jerseyguy wrote:
T5towbar wrote:


As someone who has lived in Monmouth county (Neptune, Avon, Belmar, Ocean, Freehold) for 30 years and extreme northern Ocean County (Northern Jackson) for 12, I've always called it pork roll and have never heard of it called Taylor Ham by anyone local.


I'm by Freehold, it's Pork roll.


I'm from North Jersey, and we call it Taylor Ham.........
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!
 
N649DL
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:02 am

T5towbar wrote:
N649DL wrote:
ddaly241 wrote:
I heard that a future 12 gate expansion decision is still under development, but the PA said that the 12 gate expansion would be extending the north concourse of terminal 1. Why would they want to extend the north concourse when hopefully the new terminal 2 to reface terminal B would be constructed there? If that makes sense.


IIRC, Terminal 2 is just a proposal at the moment. I would think it's because unlike Terminal A, Terminal B has actually had periodic upgrades and additions built so it's not as much of a piece of crap. It also is EWR's main terminal for International Arrivals as well.



Terminal B is not that bad. DL has did some nice work for their operations in B-1. Also a new British Airways club was built as well. The terminal has been modernized to handle the flow of international flights, hence the expanded Customs area. The only problem is the layout which causes problems with larger planes sticking out towards the taxiway. The new (preliminary) design of the terminal is shaped like a "U" shape terminal for better egress for larger planes. I hope one day it will eventually get built, but IMHO the monorail (AirTrain) has to be the next project on the PA's things to do list. And I think that the PATH extension will coincide with that project.

Terminal A has outlived it's usefullness, and I'm glad to see it go away.



I'm from North Jersey, and we call it Taylor Ham.........


Yes thank you on the backing of Terminal B. DL also did a little bit of upgrade work there as they have a very recently renovated SkyClub and extensive security area (required extensive construction with knocking out walls into B-1 back about 10 years ago). Terminal B also gutted the check-in areas for more space on the middle level and moved the baggage claims to the lower levels (I think.) So if you fly DL out of Terminal B at EWR, you would check-in on the second level but take an escalator up to the top level to get to the gates. All of that infrastructure is relatively new.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but what I think would be ideal is keep the terminal building and gut and rebuild all the gate areas for optimization. B-1 is a P.O.S. aside the new SkyClub and security areas: but the customs area in B-2 / B-3 from the late 1990s is perfectly fine. It would just be a waste of taxpayer money for a brand new Terminal 2 from scratch.

Terminal A was dated but never *really* rubbed me the wrong way per say. Just a lack of concessions in the terminal areas for the most part. It was fully functional and had monorail access.

In fact, check out this B6 Mint inaugural video at EWR from last week. JetBlue has actually made A-1 at EWR look good believe it or not (the fun starts at 1:38). New concessions, gate displays and carpeting. Completely unrecognizable from when UA used A-1 as a home base until the mid-2000s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UTtU652Kk&t=862s

Please people, stop protecting Terminal C at EWR. That place is a dump in it's own right from being extremely overcrowded in every corridor and gate area, to having temporary restrooms in the terminal wings (WTF) to having a sheer lack of United Clubs to keep up with demand (so they build garbage pop-up clubs to keep up). C-1 and C-2 are more or less glorified bus terminals and C-3 could've been designed better considering it's from 2002. And then at the end of the day you're still stuck with the ugly head house with odd offices on the top level (why?) with see through windows into the terminal as well.
 
Jerseyguy
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:05 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:35 am

T5towbar wrote:
I'm from North Jersey, and we call it Taylor Ham.........

Yes, Im pretty sure they do call it Taylor Ham in North Jersey and if they sell it as Taylor Ham at EWR T1 I begrudgingly buy it (trying to stay on topic LOL) but I-195 is definitely not the North Jersey/South Jersey dividing line because there is no NNJ/SNJ dividing line its NNJ/CNJ/SNJ.

Some people say that Elizabeth is the North Jersey/Central Jersey dividing line which is the city T1 will be located in. But I will say this, almost no one south of Edison calls it Taylor Ham. Whatever you call it its delicious and must be offered at EWR T1.
 
Jerseyguy
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:05 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:38 am

N649DL wrote:
Terminal A was dated but never *really* rubbed me the wrong way per say. Just a lack of concessions in the terminal areas for the most part. It was fully functional and had monorail access.
In fact, check out this B6 Mint inaugural video at EWR from last week. JetBlue has actually made A-1 at EWR look good believe it or not (the fun starts at 1:38). New concessions, gate displays and carpeting. Completely unrecognizable from when UA used A-1 as a home base until the mid-2000s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UTtU652Kk&t=862s


First off, you have the link wrong the way you have it starts at the end just prior to landing at LAX. Minor mistake but I fixed it for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UTtU652Kk

Terminal A has improved but the gate area is still too cramped, i would not want to fly out of there in the era of COVID. Also the A1 concourse has very little food amenities if you don't want a sandwich there's not much. If they weren't going to build a new terminal they would have needed to figured out a way to build something on the A1 and A3 ends to move security out so everything on gate level was post security then you could have moved half of the concessions in the middle of the rotundas out to make more room for seating. But it wouldn't be easy to do a far better choice to build T1.
 
T5towbar
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:06 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:56 am

Jerseyguy wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Terminal A was dated but never *really* rubbed me the wrong way per say. Just a lack of concessions in the terminal areas for the most part. It was fully functional and had monorail access.
In fact, check out this B6 Mint inaugural video at EWR from last week. JetBlue has actually made A-1 at EWR look good believe it or not (the fun starts at 1:38). New concessions, gate displays and carpeting. Completely unrecognizable from when UA used A-1 as a home base until the mid-2000s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UTtU652Kk&t=862s


First off, you have the link wrong the way you have it starts at the end just prior to landing at LAX. Minor mistake but I fixed it for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UTtU652Kk

Terminal A has improved but the gate area is still too cramped, i would not want to fly out of there in the era of COVID. Also the A1 concourse has very little food amenities if you don't want a sandwich there's not much. If they weren't going to build a new terminal they would have needed to figured out a way to build something on the A1 and A3 ends to move security out so everything on gate level was post security then you could have moved half of the concessions in the middle of the rotundas out to make more room for seating. But it wouldn't be easy to do a far better choice to build T1.



The way Terminal A (and some of Terminal B) was built, it had most of it's amenities pre-security, since it was designed well before 9/11. So once you get inside, there isn't much to offer post-security. The new terminal takes care of all of that.

With the new terminal coming online, AA is slated to have an Admirals Club built. (From what I understand, AA and UA will have clubs built in the new terminal) With this new partnership with AA, will B6 fliers who will fly on Mint have access to the club? Or will they build their own? Just wondering....
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14124
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:54 pm

T5towbar wrote:
Jerseyguy wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Terminal A was dated but never *really* rubbed me the wrong way per say. Just a lack of concessions in the terminal areas for the most part. It was fully functional and had monorail access.
In fact, check out this B6 Mint inaugural video at EWR from last week. JetBlue has actually made A-1 at EWR look good believe it or not (the fun starts at 1:38). New concessions, gate displays and carpeting. Completely unrecognizable from when UA used A-1 as a home base until the mid-2000s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UTtU652Kk&t=862s


First off, you have the link wrong the way you have it starts at the end just prior to landing at LAX. Minor mistake but I fixed it for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UTtU652Kk

Terminal A has improved but the gate area is still too cramped, i would not want to fly out of there in the era of COVID. Also the A1 concourse has very little food amenities if you don't want a sandwich there's not much. If they weren't going to build a new terminal they would have needed to figured out a way to build something on the A1 and A3 ends to move security out so everything on gate level was post security then you could have moved half of the concessions in the middle of the rotundas out to make more room for seating. But it wouldn't be easy to do a far better choice to build T1.



The way Terminal A (and some of Terminal B) was built, it had most of it's amenities pre-security, since it was designed well before 9/11. So once you get inside, there isn't much to offer post-security. The new terminal takes care of all of that.

With the new terminal coming online, AA is slated to have an Admirals Club built. (From what I understand, AA and UA will have clubs built in the new terminal) With this new partnership with AA, will B6 fliers who will fly on Mint have access to the club? Or will they build their own? Just wondering....


The business insider article mentions four lounges, Air Canada, American, United are probably three. What's the fourth? DL?
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:06 pm

AMEX centurion? Just a guess. Isnt DL staying in B?
 
atlflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 723
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:13 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:39 pm

Pretty sure any short-term improvements are from Munich Airport International now managing Terminal A and the new Terminal One. Anyone who has ever been to Munich knows they know how to run an airport 1000x better than the PANYNJ. It’s modern, clean and extremely efficient.

https://www.munich-airport.com/press-mu ... sa-6940418
 
JoseSalazar
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:18 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:23 pm

T5towbar wrote:
Jerseyguy wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Terminal A was dated but never *really* rubbed me the wrong way per say. Just a lack of concessions in the terminal areas for the most part. It was fully functional and had monorail access.
In fact, check out this B6 Mint inaugural video at EWR from last week. JetBlue has actually made A-1 at EWR look good believe it or not (the fun starts at 1:38). New concessions, gate displays and carpeting. Completely unrecognizable from when UA used A-1 as a home base until the mid-2000s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UTtU652Kk&t=862s


First off, you have the link wrong the way you have it starts at the end just prior to landing at LAX. Minor mistake but I fixed it for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UTtU652Kk

Terminal A has improved but the gate area is still too cramped, i would not want to fly out of there in the era of COVID. Also the A1 concourse has very little food amenities if you don't want a sandwich there's not much. If they weren't going to build a new terminal they would have needed to figured out a way to build something on the A1 and A3 ends to move security out so everything on gate level was post security then you could have moved half of the concessions in the middle of the rotundas out to make more room for seating. But it wouldn't be easy to do a far better choice to build T1.



The way Terminal A (and some of Terminal B) was built, it had most of it's amenities pre-security, since it was designed well before 9/11. So once you get inside, there isn't much to offer post-security. The new terminal takes care of all of that.

With the new terminal coming online, AA is slated to have an Admirals Club built. (From what I understand, AA and UA will have clubs built in the new terminal) With this new partnership with AA, will B6 fliers who will fly on Mint have access to the club? Or will they build their own? Just wondering....

I would guess B6 will not open their own lounge. They’ve been against it so far even with mint, even pre-covid, and in Europe Q&As. And lack of a lounge hasn’t seem to have affected mint’s success. But, I wouldn’t be surprised if B6 and AA work out a deal for AA lounge access on codeshared flights.
 
ddaly241
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:31 am

JFKalumni wrote:
N649DL wrote:
JFKalumni wrote:

I’m hoping for FIS/CBP at Terminal 1 but I’m not holding my breath. Customs refuses to pay overtime which forces the flight to switch from Terminal C to B after 7:00pm. The only carrier that would benefit from Terminal 1 customs would be JetBlue and non preclearance United Express traffic from Canada. It looks like the port is going the cheaper route by installing a connection ( probably with a moving walkway) between the terminals in order to eliminate the ramp side bus connections.

The biggest requirement from Terminal 2 has to be more wide body gate space. B51,52,61 are all narrow body gates and B54,55,62,63 are the only gates that can hold a 777-300ER or an A350-1000. Terminal 2 should be designed to accommodate a 77W at the minimum. Towing a 777,787 or A330/350 into B68 has become an absolute nightmare at this point.


Got it. I guess the question becomes, how serious are they about building a new Terminal 2 to replace current B? If they proceed, what will UA do about their Terminal C "head house?" It would look so dated and out of place. They might as well consider gutting up the entire EWR airport at this point haha.

In a perfect world, I would keep Terminal B and C as is and look into some sort of consolidation of keeping the Terminal A "head house" for additional gate space next to Terminal 1 and the Power Plant. Then knocking out B-1, B-2, and B-3 (while keeping the FIS structure in place) and just redesigning and rebuilding the gate piers so they can accommodate larger planes. I really don't think that would be an awful alternative instead of killing Terminal B entirely. There's probably even a way for DL to keep the new security and SkyClub facilities in place while knocking away most of the B-1 gates for a whole new concourse. And also don't forget that B-1 has that abandoned ex-NW club that is just sitting there collecting dust as well.

IMHO, It's going to take probably a decade to get a Terminal 2 in place in EWR at this point.


I gotta correct myself, B51 can handle a 767-300. As for Terminal B, the redevelopment is desperately needed. If you’re working any flights on any gates, there’s not enough room to go around. It’s worse when handling wide bodies and you have to set up the gate with dollies. I salute those guys working at Menzies handling the LH 747-8 and A340-600’s. Pushing that plane off of B62 into the Romeo Echo alleyway for departure is truly scary. I swear the wing tips are going to clip the plane on B56 or B61, it’s that close. More space is desperately needed. As for Terminal C, there was a port authority report that stated Terminal C would get redeveloped around 2027. I gotta search online for it.


If you find the article about terminal C getting redeveloped in 2027, can you copy the link please?
 
N649DL
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:32 am

jfklganyc wrote:
AMEX centurion? Just a guess. Isnt DL staying in B?


DL seems pretty cozy out in B with their newly retrofitted SkyClub, check-in areas, and security area. There were signs as of last year that DL was in the process of retrofitting the gate areas. They still look dumpy but there are new LCD screens at and around the gates and such. There are also a few new restaurants along the B-1 walkway wing as well which look decent.

The worst part about B-1 are the restrooms. They smell horrible and extremely crowded and dirty. Instead, I just pay the $29 and use the SkyClub via my AMEX card whenever I'm flying DL at EWR. Great staff and it's a super modern club with ample restrooms, hot food, tarmac views, and seating space. I'd hate to see DL give it up since it recently just opened back up after renovations. It's also fun to walk out the side door to smoke on this old 1970s concete looking patio adjacent to the security area (it literally looks like an emergency exit door area after exiting B-1) and get partial tarmac and takeoff views. You have to reenter security again after smoking but security in B-1 is usually pretty quick.

Bottom line: I like Terminal B's quirks compared to A. It has more personality for sure. Still don't know what happened as to why B-40 is a tow-in only gate these days.
 
ytib
Posts: 569
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:22 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:34 pm

T5towbar wrote:
With the new terminal coming online, AA is slated to have an Admirals Club built. (From what I understand, AA and UA will have clubs built in the new terminal) With this new partnership with AA, will B6 fliers who will fly on Mint have access to the club? Or will they build their own? Just wondering....


Keep in mind AS passengers will have access to the Admirals Club as well if they are members of the Alaska Lounge, thus including B6 mint flyers into the Admirals Club could bring some capacity issues.
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3
 
ddaly241
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:37 am

I know this is a bit off topic, but is there talks about replacing terminal C? I know someone said in this thread that the PA talked about replacing terminal C.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14124
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:22 pm

ddaly241 wrote:
I know this is a bit off topic, but is there talks about replacing terminal C? I know someone said in this thread that the PA talked about replacing terminal C.


They’re replacing all the terminals, but not at once. Terminal One is in the construction phase and the new Terminal two is in the planning stages. Once Terminal Two gets going then they will start the planning for Terminal Three. The master plan call for the terminals to move further West to provide more airside space between the terminals and the runway and possibly allow for spacing the runways further apart. If you look at the planned map of the new Airtrain it will give you a sense of the future orientation of the terminals.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5952
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:58 pm

STT757 wrote:
ddaly241 wrote:
I know this is a bit off topic, but is there talks about replacing terminal C? I know someone said in this thread that the PA talked about replacing terminal C.


They’re replacing all the terminals, but not at once. Terminal One is in the construction phase and the new Terminal two is in the planning stages. Once Terminal Two gets going then they will start the planning for Terminal Three. The master plan call for the terminals to move further West to provide more airside space between the terminals and the runway and possibly allow for spacing the runways further apart. If you look at the planned map of the new Airtrain it will give you a sense of the future orientation of the terminals.



But surely iUnited needs to be involved in Terminal C, so it isnt that simple.

Terminals A and B were/are Port Authority terminals like the LGA CTB and T4 at JFK.

T4, the CTB and the new Terminal 1 have all been privatized. I imagine the Terminal B rebuild will
also be privatized.

Terminal C will have to be a United project as they are the sole users of the terminal.
 
ddaly241
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:03 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
STT757 wrote:
ddaly241 wrote:
I know this is a bit off topic, but is there talks about replacing terminal C? I know someone said in this thread that the PA talked about replacing terminal C.


They’re replacing all the terminals, but not at once. Terminal One is in the construction phase and the new Terminal two is in the planning stages. Once Terminal Two gets going then they will start the planning for Terminal Three. The master plan call for the terminals to move further West to provide more airside space between the terminals and the runway and possibly allow for spacing the runways further apart. If you look at the planned map of the new Airtrain it will give you a sense of the future orientation of the terminals.



But surely iUnited needs to be involved in Terminal C, so it isnt that simple.

Terminals A and B were/are Port Authority terminals like the LGA CTB and T4 at JFK.

T4, the CTB and the new Terminal 1 have all been privatized. I imagine the Terminal B rebuild will
also be privatized.

Terminal C will have to be a United project as they are the sole users of the terminal.


Oh ok, makes sense now. I don't know about you guys, but if terminal 3 was to get built, how many gates would you think it would have. I saw the design of terminal 2 and it looks like it has 40 gates.
 
jeffh747
Posts: 861
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:32 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:05 pm

A pork roll/taylor ham debate on a topic about Liberty International Airport is peak New Jersey. It's pork roll by the way.

I for one am excited to see the new Terminal One at Newark, and hope it causes many people to drop the "Sewark" nickname it has. I do wonder if it'll lead to the other terminals names' being changed as well.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B
 
 
JFKalumni
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:11 pm

ddaly241 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
STT757 wrote:

They’re replacing all the terminals, but not at once. Terminal One is in the construction phase and the new Terminal two is in the planning stages. Once Terminal Two gets going then they will start the planning for Terminal Three. The master plan call for the terminals to move further West to provide more airside space between the terminals and the runway and possibly allow for spacing the runways further apart. If you look at the planned map of the new Airtrain it will give you a sense of the future orientation of the terminals.



But surely iUnited needs to be involved in Terminal C, so it isnt that simple.

Terminals A and B were/are Port Authority terminals like the LGA CTB and T4 at JFK.

T4, the CTB and the new Terminal 1 have all been privatized. I imagine the Terminal B rebuild will
also be privatized.

Terminal C will have to be a United project as they are the sole users of the terminal.


Oh ok, makes sense now. I don't know about you guys, but if terminal 3 was to get built, how many gates would you think it would have. I saw the design of terminal 2 and it looks like it has 40 gates.


I would say a minimum of 80 gates. Especially considering the long planned C4 concourse to accommodate RJ traffic and more international arrivals gates available.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14124
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:57 pm

JFKalumni wrote:
Here’s a link with regards to the construction activity at EWR.

https://dyconsultants.com/wp-content/up ... l-Plan.pdf



So this confirms that B-1 will be converted into additional International gates for the International arrivals facility. So DL will be moving to Terminal One.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:01 pm

STT757 wrote:
JFKalumni wrote:
Here’s a link with regards to the construction activity at EWR.

https://dyconsultants.com/wp-content/up ... l-Plan.pdf



So this confirms that B-1 will be converted into additional International gates for the International arrivals facility. So DL will be moving to Terminal One.


Awesome find. Is this still the plan?
 
fanofjets
Posts: 2024
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2000 2:26 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:48 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
EWRandMDW wrote:

If that is in fact the plan then C will come down too.


Although Terminal C is the newest of the three, in my mind it's the worst. There is no architectural entrance to terminal, only small doors to the parking deck, none of which are visible until you are practically in front of them. The layout inside is utter chaos; finding what you need is a challenge, especially if you are looking for a restroom. And finding your way out the proper exit is next to impossible. At any given time, at least half the vending machines (e.g., to pay for parking) and escalators are out of order. It's a mess.

Beyond all this, the worst aspect of EWR are the roadways. Though I am a New Jersey native, more often than not, I end up on the wrong roadway and find myself at some gosh-forsaken dock area. The roads are full of potholes and the concrete railings are crumbling. I love New Jersey, but this introduction to the Garden State is an utter embarrassment.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:55 pm

So I talked to few people at DL and this is what I got essentially;

-DL intends on ramping up EWR slightly to gain share against UA and B6
-They are planning on relocating (somewhat) to Terminal 1 and having a sky club

Now this is where it gets interesting
-DL is fighting to keep its gates in B1 in addition to Terminal 1
-They are not certain that they will be able to maintain them because of the PANYNJ
-If they are not able to keep their Terminal B sky club along with the terminal 1 club the terminal 1 club will be expanded
-Focus cities are looking at being added
-There was a meeting in February regarding EWR
Last edited by Nicknuzzii on Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14124
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:07 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
So I talked to few people at DL and this is what I got essentially;

-DL intends on ramping up EWR slightly to gain share against UA and B6
-They are planning on relocating (somewhat) to Terminal 1 and having a sky club

Now this is where it gets interesting
-DL is fighting to keep its gates in B1 in addition to Terminal 1
-They are not certain that they will be able to maintain them because of the PANYNJ
-If they are not able to keep their Terminal B sky club along with the terminal 1 club the terminal 1 club will be expanded
-Focus cities are looking at being added
-


They're not going to do a split operation, they don't fly International anymore from EWR.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:10 pm

STT757 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
So I talked to few people at DL and this is what I got essentially;

-DL intends on ramping up EWR slightly to gain share against UA and B6
-They are planning on relocating (somewhat) to Terminal 1 and having a sky club

Now this is where it gets interesting
-DL is fighting to keep its gates in B1 in addition to Terminal 1
-They are not certain that they will be able to maintain them because of the PANYNJ
-If they are not able to keep their Terminal B sky club along with the terminal 1 club the terminal 1 club will be expanded
-Focus cities are looking at being added
-


They're not going to do a split operation, they don't fly International anymore from EWR.


I’m just the messenger here. It seems they intend on keeping the gates to keep them out of the hands of UA.
 
tphuang
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:10 pm

STT757 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
So I talked to few people at DL and this is what I got essentially;

-DL intends on ramping up EWR slightly to gain share against UA and B6
-They are planning on relocating (somewhat) to Terminal 1 and having a sky club

Now this is where it gets interesting
-DL is fighting to keep its gates in B1 in addition to Terminal 1
-They are not certain that they will be able to maintain them because of the PANYNJ
-If they are not able to keep their Terminal B sky club along with the terminal 1 club the terminal 1 club will be expanded
-Focus cities are looking at being added
-


They're not going to do a split operation, they don't fly International anymore from EWR.


They not going to do a split operation. They are going to shrink at EWR for the next couple of years, because LGA/JFK need to be brought back first. DL is going to be 25 to 30% smaller next year. Where are they going to get the resources to ramp up EWR?
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:17 pm

tphuang wrote:
STT757 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
So I talked to few people at DL and this is what I got essentially;

-DL intends on ramping up EWR slightly to gain share against UA and B6
-They are planning on relocating (somewhat) to Terminal 1 and having a sky club

Now this is where it gets interesting
-DL is fighting to keep its gates in B1 in addition to Terminal 1
-They are not certain that they will be able to maintain them because of the PANYNJ
-If they are not able to keep their Terminal B sky club along with the terminal 1 club the terminal 1 club will be expanded
-Focus cities are looking at being added
-


They're not going to do a split operation, they don't fly International anymore from EWR.


They not going to do a split operation. They are going to shrink at EWR for the next couple of years, because LGA/JFK need to be brought back first. DL is going to be 25 to 30% smaller next year. Where are they going to get the resources to ramp up EWR?


Resources would be no issue with everywhere else scaling down. I think routes like EWR-RDU/CVG/BOS will be smaller in the near term but I wouldn’t be surprised if EWR-AUS or SEA being announced for next summer.
 
tphuang
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:16 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
tphuang wrote:
STT757 wrote:

They're not going to do a split operation, they don't fly International anymore from EWR.


They not going to do a split operation. They are going to shrink at EWR for the next couple of years, because LGA/JFK need to be brought back first. DL is going to be 25 to 30% smaller next year. Where are they going to get the resources to ramp up EWR?


Resources would be no issue with everywhere else scaling down. I think routes like EWR-RDU/CVG/BOS will be smaller in the near term but I wouldn’t be surprised if EWR-AUS or SEA being announced for next summer.

Resources as in system capacity, pilots and fa and such. Legacy airlines are retreating to their hubs and for delta they need to bring back lga and jfk first to not lose slots. Rdu cvg and bos aren’t coming back anytime soon. They might add lax or sea if ua enters jfk. But they would want to first restore their capacity to those places out of jfk first. By the time delta gets back to close to pre covid capacity, ewr will be full again.

And I stop here.
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14124
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:02 pm

I don't think DL is operating EWR-CVG, RDU, BOS.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
ordbosewr
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:11 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
STT757 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
So I talked to few people at DL and this is what I got essentially;

-DL intends on ramping up EWR slightly to gain share against UA and B6
-They are planning on relocating (somewhat) to Terminal 1 and having a sky club

Now this is where it gets interesting
-DL is fighting to keep its gates in B1 in addition to Terminal 1
-They are not certain that they will be able to maintain them because of the PANYNJ
-If they are not able to keep their Terminal B sky club along with the terminal 1 club the terminal 1 club will be expanded
-Focus cities are looking at being added
-


They're not going to do a split operation, they don't fly International anymore from EWR.


I’m just the messenger here. It seems they intend on keeping the gates to keep them out of the hands of UA.


I welcome more competition to EWR but on the other hand what is DL trying to accomplish?
I mean did they not just walkaway from all of the international flying at EWR (pre-Covid)?
The last time I took a DL flight out of T2, they were not even using all of the gates in the satelite that they were after the merger. Maybe I am wrong, but it feels like DL was shrinking at EWR and now because of Terminal 1 they will grow EWR.
(Yes, I know they added a couple of flights to compete against UA on RDU, a flight I actually took.)
What am I missing or wrong here?

Also, if all of the new terminal is common use, I am really curious to see how this goes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos