Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

STT757

Re: EWR New Terminal One

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:16 pm

I pass EWR everyday on the way to work, NK is using 2-3 of the gates on B-1. The DL gates are mostly empty except for occasionally seeing a flight or two.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Nicknuzzii

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:27 pm

DL is much smaller than AA and B6 at EWR but has been growing consistently despite dropping the international routes. DL is actually about even on EWR-ATL capacity because it no longer sees 717s. MSP and DTW have been gaining back capacity. They brought back SLC last month. They aren’t running away from EWR at all. In the future I could really see them running;

12x ATL
3x AUS
2x BNA
5x BOS
2x CVG
6x DTW
5x MSP
4x RDU
3x SEA

N649DL

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:20 pm

ordbosewr wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
STT757 wrote:

They're not going to do a split operation, they don't fly International anymore from EWR.

I’m just the messenger here. It seems they intend on keeping the gates to keep them out of the hands of UA.

I welcome more competition to EWR but on the other hand what is DL trying to accomplish?
I mean did they not just walkaway from all of the international flying at EWR (pre-Covid)?
The last time I took a DL flight out of T2, they were not even using all of the gates in the satelite that they were after the merger. Maybe I am wrong, but it feels like DL was shrinking at EWR and now because of Terminal 1 they will grow EWR.
(Yes, I know they added a couple of flights to compete against UA on RDU, a flight I actually took.)
What am I missing or wrong here?

Also, if all of the new terminal is common use, I am really curious to see how this goes.

Pre-COVID Delta was actually bigger at EWR than when they had nonstop service on EWR-CDG/AMS. They upgraded EWR-ATL to all 738 and 739ER service from 717 and M88 and added mainline to DTW and MSP. EWR-SLC has been a 739ER for some time now (a long time 320 route) and they're relaunching EWR-BOS at 5x daily. EWR-RDU went up by a frequency as well. The only route they haven't brought back yet is EWR-CVG and I wouldn't be surprised to see them launch EWR-SEA ahead of bringing that route back.

JFKalumni

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:16 pm

ordbosewr wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
STT757 wrote:

They're not going to do a split operation, they don't fly International anymore from EWR.

I’m just the messenger here. It seems they intend on keeping the gates to keep them out of the hands of UA.

I welcome more competition to EWR but on the other hand what is DL trying to accomplish?
I mean did they not just walkaway from all of the international flying at EWR (pre-Covid)?
The last time I took a DL flight out of T2, they were not even using all of the gates in the satelite that they were after the merger. Maybe I am wrong, but it feels like DL was shrinking at EWR and now because of Terminal 1 they will grow EWR.
(Yes, I know they added a couple of flights to compete against UA on RDU, a flight I actually took.)

Also, if all of the new terminal is common use, I am really curious to see how this goes.

I would wait and see what happens to Virgin Atlantic first. Delta eliminated the 767-300 to Amsterdam but they operated the Virgin contract at Terminal B B54. If Virgin collapses, I can see Delta sending a A330Neo to cover EWR-LHR.

T5towbar

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:41 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
So I talked to few people at DL and this is what I got essentially;

-DL intends on ramping up EWR slightly to gain share against UA and B6
-They are planning on relocating (somewhat) to Terminal 1 and having a sky club

Now this is where it gets interesting
-DL is fighting to keep its gates in B1 in addition to Terminal 1
-They are not certain that they will be able to maintain them because of the PANYNJ
-If they are not able to keep their Terminal B sky club along with the terminal 1 club the terminal 1 club will be expanded
-Focus cities are looking at being added
-There was a meeting in February regarding EWR

This contradicts all of what they are doing, since they went all in on B-1. Once NK and F9 move over to Term One, they will have all of the gates (in B-1) that can handle an expansion. Makes no sense for a split operation, since they weren't slated to move. But I don't see any kind of build up besides the flights they already have. DL have bigger things going on over in NYC with 2 airports they have large investments in. The AA/B6 will be wind up being the second biggest operation here.
Funny thing was there has been a lot of AA & B6 aircraft parked at all of the gates and hardstands.

NK has been busy here, and F9 has been too. (..don't know how long that will last with F9.) Even G4 has a couple of flights. (F9 and G4 have been using B-2)
A comment from an Ex CON: Work Hard.....Fly Standby!

ordbosewr

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:24 pm

N649DL wrote:
ordbosewr wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Pre-COVID Delta was actually bigger at EWR than when they had nonstop service on EWR-CDG/AMS. They upgraded EWR-ATL to all 738 and 739ER service from 717 and M88 and added mainline to DTW and MSP. EWR-SLC has been a 739ER for some time now (a long time 320 route) and they're relaunching EWR-BOS at 5x daily. EWR-RDU went up by a frequency as well. The only route they haven't brought back yet is EWR-CVG and I wouldn't be surprised to see them launch EWR-SEA ahead of bringing that route back.

ok, I will stand corrected, but I was not looking at upgauges in the size of planes flown on routes, but rather the # of flights.
How many flights did DL & NW run out of EWR at the time of the merger and how many did they fly in the same time last year (ie Dec vs Dec)?
That is what I was thinking. I agree anytime you see an station get all mainline it is a good thing and I wish UA would do more of that.
I was always picking DL over UA on flights to ATL because to think of boarding a 50 seater to fly to ATL was insane to me (for the same price as DL mainline). {it did not hurt that because I was flying on business my company contract got me upgraded to Comfort seating and preferred boarding even though I have no status)

ddaly241

Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:58 pm

I just saw this about the new terminal one and it talks about a future expansion to 45 gates. I don’t know if anyone has answered this question, but if this was to be proposed, what would the PA do to replace Terminal B

ddaly241

Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:59 pm

ddaly241 wrote:
I just saw this about the new terminal one and it talks about a future expansion to 45 gates. I don’t know if anyone has answered this question, but if this was to be proposed, what would the PA do to replace Terminal B

http://dyconsultants.com/wp-content/upl ... gram-1.pdf

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos