Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xwb777
Topic Author

Thierry Antinori hitting back on Emirates?

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:56 pm

As the title says, Thierry Antinori, ex Emirates CCO and now holding the title of Chief Transformation Officer at Qatar Airways, has been hitting back on Emirates in every single paragraph of the article. T.A, is saying how Qatar Airways fleet is a lot economic during the current pandemic and how his airline will be driving growth in the region, as it is operating smaller aircraft and is not flying half empty A380s everywhere.

He also was stating EK as a supper connector and how it will be loosing the title with its wide body aircraft and the need for QR strategy which is to operate smaller aircraft.

"“We see the opportunity at Qatar Airways to take a higher share of the corporate and business” markets, Antinori said. “If I was other airlines, I would be very, very concerned.”"

and

"Qatar is returning to some destinations with narrowbody aircraft, which Emirates does not have at all."

Maybe he is learning from Akbar Al Baker on how to criticize his competitors?

At the end of the article, he began to compare DOH and DXB, and hpw DOH can offer better customer experience than DXB.

I guess he was waiting/promised for a promotion at Emirates before resigning and joining QR. This justifies his strong statements towards Emirates.

your thoughts?

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhorton ... 5e975a47fa

lightsaber

Re: Thierry Antinori hitting back on Emirates?

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:35 am

This talking sounds like trying to find space in the press. First of all, EK isn't the big threat, it is TK and ET expanding. Eventually the 3rd runway at IST will be fully operational, giving a big advantage.

The 2nd airport at Mumbai will provide competition on direct flights, but not so much on connections due to the excessive fuel taxes.

The A388s are a problem for EK. So is the regional recession. Is any country not buying down the Sovereign wealth fun or not building debt? In particular in the region due to reduced energy demand/prices?

Connections timing will be key. That will be more in QRs favor than before, but once the hotels in Dubai open, EK will do much better.

When EK does put those A388s back in the sky, I have no doubt they will lose money, but I see no reason QR will suddenly be more competitive than they were the last few years.

One airline publishes good annual reports.
The other tries to mask its faults.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Fatbus

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:09 am

Mate ! almost sip out my wine on that on end ! Thx . BTW how is that second airport in Mumbai coming alone , can't wait !

32andBelow

Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:08 am

There’s not going to be much of a place for the ME3 going forward. The Middle East will no longer be palatable due to global warming and European and North American carriers will operate directly to Asia and India.

vhtje

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:03 am

lightsaber wrote:

One airline publishes good annual reports.
The other tries to mask its faults.

Lightsaber

I do not believe EK’s published financial results. Not for one second.

I have no evidence of any wrongdoings, nor am I even remotely suggesting EK, or their auditors, are doing anything illegal. Quite the opposite: I am sure that EK’s bookkeeping and reporting practices are all produced within accordance of UAE law.

However, as a privately held company, EK is not required to declare any results. You have to then ask yourself: why do they bother? The answer surely is that they are trying to influence public opinion on the success of their operations. If you accept that, (as I do: have you read the press releases that trumped their recent results?) then it absolutely stands to reason that EK will do what it can to paint a certain picture with their financial results.

Let me put it this way: it is my belief that, if EK’s bookkeeping and reporting were to US publicly-listed company standards, their results would read very, very differently.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

holczakker

Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:10 am

According to pilot forums Qatar is in the process of firing hundreds of pilots (787 and 350 crew as well). Is that mentioned in the article? Thought so.

Breathe

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:01 am

lightsaber wrote:
This talking sounds like trying to find space in the press. First of all, EK isn't the big threat, it is TK and ET expanding. Eventually the 3rd runway at IST will be fully operational, giving a big advantage.Lightsaber

Without wanting to derail the thread too much into politics (its a factor that can't be ignored) surely a lot of TK and IST's growth will hinge on the political stability within the country and neighbouring region? In terms of the wider region, there's a lot of potential pressure cookers with their lids that could blow off. But as things stand, I would agree TK/IST is a bigger threat with ET to a lesser extent

FrenchPotatoEye

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:46 pm

Sound like sour grape.

And unprofessional.

Ek never refer to QR, yet the Qr always yapping on rivals. Talk is cheap and qr is a loss-making joke like pia and air India's.

Blerg

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:52 pm

Emirates has something Qatar doesn't and probably won't for a long time: brand recognition.
On top of that people actually want to go to Dubai, not so much when it comes to Doha. He might throw mud at EK but not much sticks.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos