Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyingElvii
Topic Author

Frontier Has Cancelled 97 Flights So Far Today??

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:55 pm

Flightaware shows Frontier has xcld 97 flights so far today...
What happened? Some kind of an IT Meltdown??

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/

Nicknuzzii

Re: Frontier Has Cancelled 97 Flights So Far Today??

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:57 pm

I also noticed this. Lots of cancellations across the board. I figured it was from low demand.

FLALEFTY

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:11 pm

The cancellations seem to be focused at their DEN hub. It appears that there is some significant convective activity north and east of DEN that might be the issue. I imagine these delays are also impacting flights positioning to their other airports in the east and midwest.

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KDEN

Frontier14

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:12 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
I also noticed this. Lots of cancellations across the board. I figured it was from low demand.

Rumor has it that the someone dropped the ball with communicating between those who planned the flights, and those who scheduled staff to operate the flights. There have been a significant number of open time trips for flight deck crews since the first of the month. This is not the first time planners and schedulers have failed to make sure there were staff available to operate all the scheduled flights. There were several "new" flights that were also introduced beginning in July..

Frontier 14

FlyingElvii
Topic Author

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:25 pm

Frontier14 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Rumor has it that the someone dropped the ball with communicating between those who planned the flights, and those who scheduled staff to operate the flights. There have been a significant number of open time trips for flight deck crews since the first of the month. This is not the first time planners and schedulers have failed to make sure there were staff available to operate all the scheduled flights. There were several "new" flights that were also introduced beginning in July..

Frontier 14

WHAT??? You mean Planning doesn't communicate with operations or Scheduling? You don't say....

flyboy7974

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:49 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
The cancellations seem to be focused at their DEN hub. It appears that there is some significant convective activity north and east of DEN that might be the issue. I imagine these delays are also impacting flights positioning to their other airports in the east and midwest.

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KDEN

Noticed a few on the PHL FIDS today as well, actually most up until noon, then couple later in the day.

Pontius

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:28 am

https://www.flyfrontier.com/alert/

All the cancels posted here. Absent explanation.

32andBelow

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:56 am

Frontier14 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Frontier 14

Holy shit frontier is canceling flights due to crew right now. Absolutely unreal. Someone should be fired for this.

hiflyeras

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:39 am

Flight crews out on quarantine. Instructors out on quarantine. Training departments shutting down. Planning trying to add more flights but not enough crews. It could all start to fall apart for all airlines.

n7371f

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:40 am

LOL sounds like a bush league operation.

Where was BB? Eating out getting fatter? OK that's a low blow. But so too is F9's operations.

Told from ALPA source that marketing failed to alert flight ops about additional flying this weekend and it dropped/opened suddenly. What an operation. Geez.

Frontier14 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Frontier 14

32andBelow

Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:06 am

hiflyeras wrote:
Flight crews out on quarantine. Instructors out on quarantine. Training departments shutting down. Planning trying to add more flights but not enough crews. It could all start to fall apart for all airlines.

Dude I know a frontier pilot that didn’t even fly for 3 months cus there were no flights. What are you talking about. How can you ever cancel a flight when half your flights are already reduced. Sounds like they put too many people on off when they should have been on reserve.

KFTG

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:01 am

F9 has a ton of jobs on their website that are operations related. Many of which are critical roles, IMO.

jfklganyc

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:40 am

32andBelow wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

Dude I know a frontier pilot that didn’t even fly for 3 months cus there were no flights. What are you talking about. How can you ever cancel a flight when half your flights are already reduced. Sounds like they put too many people on off when they should have been on reserve.

Yeah I don’t know what he’s talking about either

No US airline has been affected by mass quarantines of pilots thus far

WeatherPilot

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:58 am

Are CQ requirements going to become a problem soon with all these pilots being out so long?

MIflyer12

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:06 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Holy shit frontier is canceling flights due to crew right now.

Can anybody speak to how Frontier had been using reserves? At-airport? Short-call? Long-call?

DL747400

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:24 pm

Another reason to not fly F9. Never have and never will. Sounds like a very poorly run operation and I really feel for their customers.
Last edited by DL747400 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:26 pm

Seems rediculous that a time when they have thousands of employees sitting at home getting paid they had to cancel all these flights due to staffing(if that's the reason). Clearly they had the staff they just didn't schedule them correctly. Seems like no one's fault but their own

jetmatt777

Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:38 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Seems rediculous that a time when they have thousands of employees sitting at home getting paid they had to cancel all these flights due to staffing(if that's the reason). Clearly they had the staff they just didn't schedule them correctly. Seems like no one's fault but their own

Especially leading into a major holiday weekend. You have to be prepared for an increase in sick calls. You have to be even more prepared staffing wise.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:04 pm

They might try to pin it on something but no way did that many people call out sick.

My guess they are trying to get away with too few admin employees so they screwed up or something like that. Just a shame as frontier is probably the worst airline to have to get rebooked on also imho and this is gonna be alot of volume . Outsourced staff have zero sympathy and zero power to help is my frontier experience. They seem to like the outsourced employees to not really understand the full rules, they have to pay for less. Frontier is a nightmare on cancellations and misconnects

Coronado990

Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:08 pm

"Just in time" inventory and "Just in time" staffing works during good times but it is the companies that can have a plan to work around the bad times that I respect the most. The cheap companies that want to make a buck during good times are going to be goners by the time this is all over.
Cornucopia

jetmatt777

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:11 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
They might try to pin it on something but no way did that many people call out sick.

My guess they are trying to get away with too few admin employees so they screwed up or something like that. Just a shame as frontier is probably the worst airline to have to get rebooked on also imho and this is gonna be alot of volume . Outsourced staff have zero sympathy and zero power to help is my frontier experience. They seem to like the outsourced employees to not really understand the full rules, they have to pay for less. Frontier is a nightmare on cancellations and misconnects

Sorry I wasn't implying it was due to sick calls, I am saying that to be this unaware of your staffing levels going into a holiday weekend shows the level of incompetency. Most airline staffing departments beef up staffing on holiday weekends "just in case". So clearly they were way behind the curve to begin with to let this slip through on a major traveling weekend.

32andBelow

Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:15 pm

When you have way more pilots then you need and Rhys are getting paid they should all be on reserve. Then if you have open trips you can just fill them by whatever the reserve fill procédure is. If they just allowed them to be off then that is hilarious.

lightsaber

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:02 pm

How us the performance today?

I'm perplexed how any airline today could have insufficient pilots and crew on reserve.
Winter is coming.

Frontier14

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:53 pm

lightsaber wrote:

I'm perplexed how any airline today could have insufficient pilots and crew on reserve.

Frontier has a significant number of pilots on Leave of Absence (LOA) for the entire month of July. The lack of internal communication between F9 depts and the uptick in pax numbers for July has caught them with their pants down.

Frontier 14

FLALEFTY

Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:24 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
lightsaber wrote:

Here's the latest Frontier cancellations:

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/FFT/cancelled

FlyingElvii
Topic Author

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:19 am

32andBelow wrote:
When you have way more pilots then you need and Rhys are getting paid they should all be on reserve. Then if you have open trips you can just fill them by whatever the reserve fill procédure is. If they just allowed them to be off then that is hilarious.

VOA’s, LOA’s, Dequals, etc....
On a pilot group they were saying that the company refused to offer premium to cover the trips?
It rolls downhill. Somewhere between marketing a scheduling the ball got dropped.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:27 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
lightsaber wrote:

Jaw hits floor.

One day of dropped performance is bad.
A second, albeit I count a mere 21 cancelled flights, is just poor management.

So who will be losing their job?

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

32andBelow

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:29 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

VOA’s, LOA’s, Dequals, etc....
On a pilot group they were saying that the company refused to offer premium to cover the trips?
It rolls downhill. Somewhere between marketing a scheduling the ball got dropped.

They are operating a reduced schedule. There is no way this can happen in this environment. These trips should have been covered by normal trips. And LWOP shouldn’t be approved if you don’t even have all your flights covered. It’s insane negligence by whoever scheduled this.

wjcandee

Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:32 am

What's even more remarkable is that no C-Suite executive was on top of this before it happened. Good top-level managers are always asking questions and always recognizing that people are imperfect and therefore make mistakes, and it's the job of high-level folks to ask the right basic questions.

"So how are sales looking for 4th of July?" "Surprisingly-strong. We added flights to the system two weeks ago, and they're filling nicely." "That's great!" [Dials new number.] "Hey, Bob, I was just talking to Joe and he mentioned that the new flights on 4th of July weekend are looking strong. Are we having any issues staffing those flights?"

Ask the right question, and it gives the guy on the other end of the phone the ability to have an "Oh, Sh#t!" moment and, without asking you, "What extra flights?", tell you it's all cool and then get on the phone to his cohorts, find out what the hell you're talking about, and prevent the coming trainwreck.

More typically, these kinds of issues would be covered in a Zoom call where everyone gets together on a regular schedule to go over upcoming challenges. I don't know what's going on at Frontier, but it's really inexcuseable at the highest levels that this was able to happen.

stasisLAX

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:10 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
lightsaber wrote:

HOLY CRAP..... That's AMAZINGLY bad planning. :banghead:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

flyboy7974

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:45 pm

lightsaber wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
lightsaber wrote:

Jaw hits floor.

One day of dropped performance is bad.
A second, albeit I count a mere 21 cancelled flights, is just poor management.

Lightsaber

So how many total this weekend so far? Friday was the highest and I thought yesterday was 60-70 cxld.

silentbob

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:34 pm

lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Demanding someone's head on a pike every time there is an issue is ridiculous. Step one is always to figure out exactly why the problem occurred. I've worked for companies where everyone has followed procedure to a "T" and there have still been significant issues. Those situations required a review and modification of procedures, rather than a sacrificial lamb.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:51 pm

silentbob wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Demanding someone's head on a pike every time there is an issue is ridiculous. Step one is always to figure out exactly why the problem occurred. I've worked for companies where everyone has followed procedure to a "T" and there have still been significant issues. Those situations required a review and modification of procedures, rather than a sacrificial lamb.

There should have already been processes in place. There is such a huge surplus of pilots, I cannot come up with a reasonable scenario for this level of fail over a holiday weekend.

Normally, I would agree with you. But with that many surplus pilots?!? There is zero risk of a pilot hitting FAA hour limits right now.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

CriticalPoint

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:58 pm

lightsaber wrote:
silentbob wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

There should have already been processes in place. There is such a huge surplus of pilots, I cannot come up with a reasonable scenario for this level of fail over a holiday weekend.

Normally, I would agree with you. But with that many surplus pilots?!? There is zero risk of a pilot hitting FAA hour limits right now.

Lightsaber

Do you know how many are out on leave? In March/April/May several airlines offered thousands of pilots multi month leaves.

If it’s true that Frontier didn’t offer premium pay then that’s their fault. Premium pay would have gotten the active pilots off the side line.

32andBelow

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:05 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
silentbob wrote:

Lightsaber

Do you know how many are out on leave? In March/April/May several airlines offered thousands of pilots multi month leaves.

If it’s true that Frontier didn’t offer premium pay then that’s their fault. Premium pay would have gotten the active pilots off the side line.

It’s impossible to believe you would even need to offer premium pay at a time like this. You have more than enough pilots to just schedule to the flights.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:05 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
silentbob wrote:

Lightsaber

I don't know how many are on leave. However, that was a known prior to scheduling the flights. There still should have been enough pilots.

If well managed, no premium required. This is a royal botch.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

CriticalPoint

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:26 pm

32andBelow wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

It’s impossible to believe you would even need to offer premium pay at a time like this. You have more than enough pilots to just schedule to the flights.

Maybe.......do YOU know how many are out on leave? Do you know how many got vacation swaps approved? Do you know how many were allowed to bid unused vacation?

Back in March and April the airlines were scrambling to get people to leave right now. A lot of things you don’t normally see with regards to staffing were offered. Unless you know how many pilots were actually sitting around doing nothing, as you put it, your outrage is rediculous.

CriticalPoint

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:27 pm

lightsaber wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

I don't know how many are on leave. However, that was a known prior to scheduling the flights. There still should have been enough pilots.

If well managed, no premium required. This is a royal botch.

Lightsaber

There is no doubt someone dropped the ball. But when you screw up you pay or you cancel.

32andBelow

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:42 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

Maybe.......do YOU know how many are out on leave? Do you know how many got vacation swaps approved? Do you know how many were allowed to bid unused vacation?

Back in March and April the airlines were scrambling to get people to leave right now. A lot of things you don’t normally see with regards to staffing were offered. Unless you know how many pilots were actually sitting around doing nothing, as you put it, your outrage is rediculous.

If they already got rid of too many pilots then they shouldn’t have added so many flights. They should have known they were going to add flights back at some point. Very poor management.

FLALEFTY

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:48 pm

Only 31 cancelations (1%) by F9 today, so things seem to be getting back to "normal":

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/FFT/ ... t;sort=ASC

CriticalPoint

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:56 pm

32andBelow wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

If they already got rid of too many pilots then they shouldn’t have added so many flights. They should have known they were going to add flights back at some point. Very poor management.

You should charge companies for a look into your crystal ball.

32andBelow

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:00 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

they make the schedule! It’s not like they get a surprise line up from a supreme being.

CriticalPoint

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:14 pm

32andBelow wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

they make the schedule! It’s not like they get a surprise line up from a supreme being.

There’s no don’t someone dropped the ball. They scheduled motley flights than crews. However you seem to think that there are pilots just sitting around. That may or may not be the case and unless you know you anger should be directed elsewhere.

tphuang

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:23 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
Only 31 cancelations (1%) by F9 today, so things seem to be getting back to "normal":

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/FFT/ ... t;sort=ASC

They normally have 3100 daily flights? That sounds like completely untrue.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos