Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DUSdude

Re: Did people really fly all the way on flights like this?

Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:00 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
(Yes, Swissair also had a number of early DC-10s, but not a huge number.)

Errrmmm.... Swissair had 9 (!) DC-10s at least by the time of the 1979 grounding of the type, when this picture was taken at ZRH:

exFWAOONW

Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:59 pm

Some of these routes hop along like they did because the airlines did not have permission from both governments needed to go from A to C and sell seats on that leg of a trip, but still had permission to fly A to B and B to C from the prop days.

Sometimes it was the only way to get to C. Sometimes, it was the only way to fill the plane. Sometimes (rarely) it was due to range issues of the plane.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

Stealthz

Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:14 am

I travelled a few times from Syd to CA on business in the '80s. On one trip the gentleman in the next seat was in the mining business in NW Western Australia and in those pre ZOOM/Skype days he was required to attend meetings in Houston every 4-6 weeks. His company had an Economy only policy so he flew down the back.. xxx-PER-SYD-HNL(was before nonstop trans Pac.)-LAX-IAD and return slmost monthly.
The advantage for us both was he was well known to the cabin crew and were treated almost like business Class and with exit row seats we were quite comfortable
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

vlad1971

Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:18 am

In 1973 my dad flew Inaugural flight from Moscow to Lusaka on TU154M . The whole routing was SVO-ODS-TIP-COO-DLA-BZV-LAD-LUN and return flight went LUN-LAD-FIH-BGI-KGL-CAI-SIP-KBP-SVO .

vlad1971

Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:18 am

In 1973 my dad flew Inaugural flight from Moscow to Lusaka on TU154M . The whole routing was SVO-ODS-TIP-COO-DLA-BZV-LAD-LUN and return flight went LUN-LAD-FIH-BGI-KGL-CAI-SIP-KBP-SVO .
Last edited by vlad1971 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

LLA001

Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:35 am

wow, so many interesting memories shared, I wish there was a like button to indvidually like the stories told.

I am really curious how they dealt with ticketing with so many stops and so many people coming on and off at different countries. Perhaps they had empty reserve seats for contingency?

Halophila

Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:20 pm

On or around 1985 I remember having to evacuate Colombo (Sri Lanka) because of a bombing and fly to Tokyo- I swear that was on Swissair and a DC-10 - I seem to recall it being a scheduled flight too.
Flown on A36 310 319 320 321 332 333 343 388 350 707 717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W 787 D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87 CRJ CR7 CR9 CR1000 120 135 145 175 190 146 F28 F50 F70 F100 Tristar

CLEguy

Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:37 pm

blandy62 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
What about the current United Airlines flight 155? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Hopper

HNL - Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
MAJ - Majuro Atoll, Marshall Islands
KWA - Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands
KSA - Kosrae, Federated States of Micronesia
PNI - Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia
TKK - Weno, Chuuk, Federated States of Micronesia
GUM - Guam, United States

Would love to do this someday!

This a bit different. This is not due to plane range limitation as on the past. This mainly because the islands are all over the Pacific. and dont forget that in the past it would Also stop at Johnston atoll between Majuro and Honolulu too.

I used it from Guam to Majuro some years back. Nice flight

I flew the UA Island Hopper in November 2017. It was a great experience and worth burning some miles for. On the return, after staying a few nights in Guam, I flew home GUM-NRT-DEN-CLE.

OzarkD9S

Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:28 pm

So I've been reading this thread and YES, some people did fly "all the way" on those globe straddling multi-stops. But to dial it back to the US, many airlines had milk-runs in the deregulated era. I myself flew Ozark PIA-MLI-CID-RST-MSP. Not for fun, though it was, but because there were seats open and we were non-revving. The nonstop PIA-MSP was 59 minutes gate-to-gate. My itinerary was 2 hrs 25 minutes.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

OzarkD9S

Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:28 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
So I've been reading this thread and YES, some people did fly "all the way" on those globe straddling multi-stops. But to dial it back to the US, many airlines had milk-runs in the regulated era. I myself flew Ozark PIA-MLI-CID-RST-MSP. Not for fun, though it was, but because there were seats open and we were non-revving. The nonstop PIA-MSP was 59 minutes gate-to-gate. My itinerary was 2 hrs 25 minutes.
"True, I talk of dreams,

BENAir01

Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:09 am

My mom lived in Japan in the late 80s and used to travel back to New York to visit relatives every summer. She would purchase a United around the world ticket from Seoul (it was cheaper), but book individual flights separately, and spend a month going from Tokyo to New York with extended stops in Delhi or Bangkok or Taipei and then again in France and once Finland as well, and then at the end of the summer she would fly to California for a day to see a college, and then for another day in Hawaii to go to the beach. She would use the Tokyo to Seoul to Tokyo legs to go during Thanksgiving. So she did fly the whole way, or at least many of the stops, but broke them up by spending time in different places. Don’t know all of the exact routes, but I know she stopped in Cairo once at the height of Egypt-Israel tensions, and their United plane was fully surrounded shoulder to shoulder by soldiers while they were refueled. No one was allowed off the plane.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:21 am

DUSdude wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Errrmmm.... Swissair had 9 (!) DC-10s at least by the time of the 1979 grounding of the type, when this picture was taken at ZRH:

Guilty as charged! (if you consider 9 is a huge number) :white:
In truth, I was already aware in that particular case I was stretching a point slightly, but the principle is still valid.

For instance, Swissair's last active fleet (2002) included 34 widebodies, and at times before that it may have been closer to 40. That's a lot more than eleven (9 + 2 B742s)

Many thx for that epic photo featuring all that bare unpainted metal, including #2 engine in the tail. So shiny, you can almost smell it. :D
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Topcat49

Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:20 pm

I remember back in the 70s (may have been 80s) travelling BA on a L1011 LHR BAH BOM BKK, never got off the plane at any stop. There were also a number of regular charter flights operating LTN BDS DAM (Gulf - various) KHI CCU BKK KBI using a 130 seat B737-200 non-stop - and they were full!

DavidByrne

Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:24 pm

Amongst my earliest long-haul experiences were

LON-FCO-AUH-BKK(DMK)-HKG (Kai Tak)-NRT (I think) by JL D10

NOU-JKT (HLM)-SIN-BAH-CDG by UT 743.

And BEG-DXB(?)-SIN-MEL-SYD by JU D10.

Bliss for a young enthusiast out to see the world! There are lots of airports now you'd now never visit unless you were actually going there.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

DUSdude

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:54 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
DUSdude wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Guilty as charged! (if you consider 9 is a huge number) :white:
In truth, I was already aware in that particular case I was stretching a point slightly, but the principle is still valid.

For instance, Swissair's last active fleet (2002) included 34 widebodies, and at times before that it may have been closer to 40. That's a lot more than eleven (9 + 2 B742s)

Many thx for that epic photo featuring all that bare unpainted metal, including #2 engine in the tail. So shiny, you can almost smell it. :D

Well, yeah, by today's or even 2002 numbers, 9 is not a large fleet. Air travel and fleet sizes have grown exponentially since 1979. But compared to the two 747s you mention it's four and a half times as many. ;) It's all relative...

Revelation

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:36 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
So I've been reading this thread and YES, some people did fly "all the way" on those globe straddling multi-stops. But to dial it back to the US, many airlines had milk-runs in the deregulated era. I myself flew Ozark PIA-MLI-CID-RST-MSP. Not for fun, though it was, but because there were seats open and we were non-revving. The nonstop PIA-MSP was 59 minutes gate-to-gate. My itinerary was 2 hrs 25 minutes.

WN often ends up with such itineraries. I remember in the early 00s dong MHT-BWI-JAX-MOB-MSY. Seemed a bit ridiculous at the time, but WN really was mostly a point to point airline, and if you happened to want some points that weren't well served you found yourself bouncing around a lot of different airports.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

DUSdude

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:56 pm

Revelation wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

WN often ends up with such itineraries. I remember in the early 00s dong MHT-BWI-JAX-MOB-MSY. Seemed a bit ridiculous at the time, but WN really was mostly a point to point airline, and if you happened to want some points that weren't well served you found yourself bouncing around a lot of different airports.

I once flew ORD-LAS-RNO-TUS on Reno Air in the mid-90s.

OzarkD9S

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:21 pm

Revelation wrote:

I used to find some pretty funky routings on WN, still do today, but not as often. Did STL-TPA-BWI-PWM once. Saved me over $50 going thru TPA. Still see some odd ones once in a while, and grab them when it makes "sense". When did WN fly to MOB?
"True, I talk of dreams,

OzarkD9S

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:22 pm

DUSdude wrote:

I once flew ORD-LAS-RNO-TUS on Reno Air in the mid-90s.

Last time I went to RNO on WN I flew back RNO-LAS-ICT-STL with a connection in LAS.
"True, I talk of dreams,

transswede

Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:56 pm

departedflights wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:
aircraft didn't have the enormous range that they do now.

As I said... I can see the POLITICAL reasons for these routes.... but again.... my curiosity is whether not anyone actually traveled these routes from beginning to end.

Yes. Many have already posted that they did (with personal exoerience of doing so), so I'm not sure why you keep questioning this. But I'll add another example. In 1982 I flew CPH-ATH-DXB-CMB-SIN on SQ. I did not get off the plane.

This was very common back then. The range did not exist to go non-stop, and airlines made more stops to pick up passengers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos