Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
strfyr51
Posts: 5033
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:26 pm

barefootchris wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR8RHBXjMlE

Here is the original Hawaii Five-0 opening title. Aircraft is at 43 seconds in. You all are better than me to identify it from that fleeting glimpse.

Interestingly, the intro clip that Google/YouTube found seems to involve a dead airline passenger. Is that flight attendant/stewardess uniform accurate? (My airline experiences begin in the mid to late 1990s).

That indeed was an accurate flight attendant uniform There are some under glass at the United Tech ops Center at SFO and some at the old WHQ in Elk Grove IL.
they used to display them also in the terminal connector at SFO ftom the frontal gates out to the I concourse at the wisebody gates. They changed the numbers and I'd have to pull up a gate map.
 
N649DL
Posts: 989
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:37 pm

modernArt wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:


http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/ua/ua69/ua69-02.jpg
Here's a page from above with the complete Hawaiian schedules. Only LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago and NYC.

It's pretty unlikely that United ever served any of cities on the route map with regular nonstop flights at the time. Maybe they were served once a season nonstop...but that might only appear in a OAG.


Just out of curiosity, didn't UA fly seasonally or on weekends SAN-HNL until the Early 2000s on 757-200 as well?
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3288
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:57 pm

N649DL wrote:
modernArt wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:


http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/ua/ua69/ua69-02.jpg
Here's a page from above with the complete Hawaiian schedules. Only LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago and NYC.

It's pretty unlikely that United ever served any of cities on the route map with regular nonstop flights at the time. Maybe they were served once a season nonstop...but that might only appear in a OAG.


Just out of curiosity, didn't UA fly seasonally or on weekends SAN-HNL until the Early 2000s on 757-200 as well?


yes, and SEA. CO also operated SNA-OGG/HNL on the 73G.
 
Lpbri
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:46 pm

My 8/79 timetable shows that UA operated OAK, DEN, OAK, ONT, PDX, SAN, SJC. Those flights are not in boldface type, so they were operated with DC-8s. It also shows 4 daily ORD-HNL, all 747. One oddity, ORD-ITO one stop withe a DC-10, but ITO-ORD nonstop with a 747
 
User avatar
exFWAOONW
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:04 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
ITO-ORD is quite a timetable find.

Rode it multiple times. (As a non-rev)
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?
 
User avatar
exFWAOONW
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:50 am

exFWAOONW wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
ITO-ORD is quite a timetable find.

Rode it multiple times. (As a non-rev)

To be clear, the UA non-stop as the big island was less crowded and still under developed back in the 70s.

I always thought those red footies they gave out so you could walk about the wide bodies without your shoes on were cool (and comfortable). My mom remembers eating Alaskan king crab on some of those flights, but I don’t remember as crab is still not on my menu. The would hand out notes and pax were invited to guess when we were “half-way there”. The prize was champagne. When they found out a 12 year old kid (and non-rev, at that) had calculated it correctly, there was a lot of consternation.

On the original 5-0 show, there was an episode where Buddy Edson played a con-man tour guide using his group to pull off travelers check fraud on a grand scale. He was comfortably aboard a UA DC8 to leave when McGarrett dashed up the stairs to nab him in the nick of time.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?
 
williaminsd
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:10 am

PI4EVR wrote:
I flew BAL-HNL in 1971 on an airline employee non-revenue pass. I was able to fly the nonstop as when I called UA to list myself on a IAD-LAX-HNL routing the agent volunteered that a group had canceled on the BAL flight and plenty of seats were available.
I believe it was a Saturday-only nonstop, but a great flight. I did not get F class, but they gave me the entire back row and beyond two meals, the F/A's plied me with Primo beer the entire 9 hours. The crew was fun and personable and very welcoming to another airline employee.
Catering was by "Trader Vic's" and beyond Mai Tai's as the signature drink, I remember the lunch was Chicken Teriyaki and dessert was pineapple cake. A bag of Frito's were served with the beer. The F/A's did wear muumuu's, but we were not met with lei's on arrival as had been mentioned as part of the "Royal Hawaiian" service.
I do remember a big sign in the BAL gate area with a picture of the DC8 with the logo "Super 8 to the Aloha State."
I returned on a routing HNL-SFO-IAD all on DC-8's as well
P.S. Those were the days. I stayed at the Sheraton Surfrider Hotel beachfront on Waikiki Beach for $22 a day and rented a Datsun sedan from Tropical Rent-A-Car for $5 a day! The breakfast buffet in an oceanfront restaurant was an outrageous $10 per person, but an awesome welcome experience to HI on your first morning.


I love stories like that... thank you.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1918
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:13 am

Image


dfwjim1 wrote:
In the opening of the original Hawaii 5-0 series one of the shots was of a DC8 landing at HNL. Not sure if it was UAL though.


flyingclrs727 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was a UA DC-8. If you ever read the credits on a Hawaii 5-0 episode, it says that United provided air travel in exchange for promotion.


I'm thinking it is actually a 707:
Image
Image

At one point the closing credits also had a 727:
Image


But the mystery of what type and airline is featured at HNL in the opening theme of Hawaii Five-0 is a moot point because it wasn't filmed at HNL. The Approach light structure and large roadway perpendicular to the threshold give it away. At HNL the only runway that has a large road perpendicular to the threshold is 26R with Lagoon Drive.... and that runway does not have approach lights.

I believe it was filmed at LAX, 24R and Sepulveda Blvd to be exact. Makes sense with all the studios nearby.
FLYi
 
Lpbri
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:28 pm

A lot of the old Hawaii Five-O episodes were treasure troves of video of HNL in the 70s. You could see the Diamondhead concourse under construction. The original Central concourse, the handstands where the rental car lot is now. The sounds of 707s and DC-8s.
 
User avatar
flyingclrs727
Posts: 2623
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:38 pm

Lpbri wrote:
A lot of the old Hawaii Five-O episodes were treasure troves of video of HNL in the 70s. You could see the Diamondhead concourse under construction. The original Central concourse, the handstands where the rental car lot is now. The sounds of 707s and DC-8s.


It would be awesome to have 4K or 8K scans from the original 35mm negatives.
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5106
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:04 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

In the opening of the original Hawaii 5-0 series one of the shots was of a DC8 landing at HNL. Not sure if it was UAL though.


It was indeed, pre-Saul Bass livery,


There is also a Pan Am 707 in the opening theme as well.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5106
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:05 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
Lpbri wrote:
A lot of the old Hawaii Five-O episodes were treasure troves of video of HNL in the 70s. You could see the Diamondhead concourse under construction. The original Central concourse, the handstands where the rental car lot is now. The sounds of 707s and DC-8s.


It would be awesome to have 4K or 8K scans from the original 35mm negatives.


Air Siam was also featured in one of the episodes.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5106
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: UA Route Frequency to Hawaii, Pre-747

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:06 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Image


dfwjim1 wrote:
In the opening of the original Hawaii 5-0 series one of the shots was of a DC8 landing at HNL. Not sure if it was UAL though.


flyingclrs727 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was a UA DC-8. If you ever read the credits on a Hawaii 5-0 episode, it says that United provided air travel in exchange for promotion.


I'm thinking it is actually a 707:
Image
Image

At one point the closing credits also had a 727:
Image


But the mystery of what type and airline is featured at HNL in the opening theme of Hawaii Five-0 is a moot point because it wasn't filmed at HNL. The Approach light structure and large roadway perpendicular to the threshold give it away. At HNL the only runway that has a large road perpendicular to the threshold is 26R with Lagoon Drive.... and that runway does not have approach lights.

I believe it was filmed at LAX, 24R and Sepulveda Blvd to be exact. Makes sense with all the studios nearby.



There is a United DC8 as well as the Pan Am 707
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos