Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

c933103
Topic Author

China's Donghai airlines founder might establish a new airlines in Hong Kong

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:35 am

According to report, Wong Cho Bau, member of Chinese government CPPCC conference, and founder and chairman of Donghai Airlines in Shenzhen, will found a new airlines named Bauhinia Airlines in Hong Kong.
Some sources claim the tycoon have already recruited people with expertise in the industry and is waiting Hong Kong government civil aviation department to issue an AOC, however he rejected such information in interview and claim the idea is still on drawing board.
https://m.mingpao.com/fin/instantf2.php ... e=20200707 (Chinese)
----
If this actually happens then Hong Kong will have three airline groups, this new one, the Cathay group, and then Hainan's HX. With even HX doesn't seems like it'd be able to survive, how can the probably smaller new airlines gain their foothold in the market, especially with everything related to coronavirus that's happening in the world now? Or are they banking on death or Hainan and decay of Cathay group under the Hong Kong National Security law and is trying to fill the position? Or are they simply trying to evade aviation bilateral restrictions thàt would usually be much more difficult to obtain rights when trying to start flight from Shenzhen?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

mercure1

Re: China's Donghai airlines founder might establish a new airlines in Hong Kong

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:39 am

Bauhinia is the callsign for Hong Kong Airlines.
mercure f-wtcc

mysterzip

Re: China's Donghai airlines founder might establish a new airlines in Hong Kong

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:51 am

Assuming this gets off the ground, this is either the perfect time to build an airline or (more likely) THE worst time to find financiers for one.

LAXintl

Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:03 am

Some flightsim'ers already beat him

BAUHINIA AIRWAYS HK
https://www.facebook.com/11375422129728 ... 274639388/

From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

JeremyXWB

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:59 pm

Strange, based on this link, HONG KONG BAUHINIA AIRLINES COMPANY LIMITED has already been incorporated on 24 May 2010, but I could not find any other information about the "airline"

https://www.hkgbusiness.com/en/company/Hong-Kong-Bauhinia-Airlines-Company-Limited

zakuivcustom

Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:11 pm

JeremyXWB wrote:
Strange, based on this link, HONG KONG BAUHINIA AIRLINES COMPANY LIMITED has already been incorporated on 24 May 2010, but I could not find any other information about the "airline"

https://www.hkgbusiness.com/en/company/Hong-Kong-Bauhinia-Airlines-Company-Limited

It is the same company. It simply changed its name from Donghai Airlines to Donghai Airlines (HK) to now HK Bauhinia Airlines.

Back to the proposed airline - it is likely to focus in the mainland market (perhaps taking the marketshare from HX once that finally go under?) and SE Asia. HKG is a lot more expensive to operate out of than SZX in general, though.

LAXintl

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:15 am

More on the airline.

HK CAA confirms its processing the application for proposed new airline backed by Shenzhen tycoon owner of Donghai Airlines. Sources say the airline intends to use Boeing 737 aircraft which might be sourced from Donghai that operates 23 and has 25 MAX on order. Some of the startups management are from the Cathay Group including a former Dragonair CEO.

Newcomer Greater Bay Airlines seeks Hong Kong approval to take off
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... ines-seeks

The777Man

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:50 am

LAXintl wrote:
More on the airline.

HK CAA confirms its processing the application for proposed new airline backed by Shenzhen tycoon owner of Donghai Airlines. Sources say the airline intends to use Boeing 737 aircraft which might be sourced from Donghai that operates 23 and has 25 MAX on order. Some of the startups management are from the Cathay Group including a former Dragonair CEO.

Newcomer Greater Bay Airlines seeks Hong Kong approval to take off
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... ines-seeks

Donghai also has 5 787-9 on order.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

LAXintl

Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:39 pm

Another story.

Carrier will follow low-cost model with flights mainly to China, and Asia region.

Hong Kong Could Get Another Airline With Startup Greater Bay Airlines
https://simpleflying.com/greater-bay-airlines-aoc/

zakuivcustom

Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:20 pm

What an ugly name...

Nothing really change, though - I still see it as some airline flying flights to/from mainland mostly, alongside being one of the gajillion airlines on HKG-BKK.

UAUA

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:18 pm

He is a hongkonger

Originally from China. Came 50 years ago
My former profile name was United Airline.

sincx

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:44 pm

Is this guy banking on HX collapsing before the COVID pandemic ends?

hongkongflyer

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:26 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
What an ugly name...

Nothing really change, though - I still see it as some airline flying flights to/from mainland mostly, alongside being one of the gajillion airlines on HKG-BKK.

Why Greater Bay Airlines is an ugly name while Singapore/ Japan/ Malaysia/ American Airline(s) etc. is a good name?

chonetsao

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:22 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
What an ugly name...

Why Greater Bay Airlines is an ugly name while Singapore/ Japan/ Malaysia/ American Airline(s) etc. is a good name?

First, Greater Bay is a comcept, not an actual recognised name for a country, a territory or even a local area. Unlike the names of Singapore, Japan, Malaysia and American which is a recognised country name. The official name for the so called Greater Bay is Pearl River Delta area. Greater Bay is a concept lthat is promoted by CCP.

Second, Greater Bay is a terrible name for airline. Bay means harboured water by the sea. It has nothing to do with flying. Instead, it gives impression of safety harbour and stationary. From Chinese supersuspision point of view, this Greater Bay means never take off or flying, as its meaning is to park, to station in a Bay. And it is a giant bay.

Third, Greater Bay is grammarly wrong in English. If you call a place Greater Bay, where is Great Bay? When we call Greater China, is due to the fact China normally means mainland, so to incorporate Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan into the region, Greater China is used. So what is exactly Greater Bay, which original bay they think is the Great Bay?

Toinou

Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:27 am

chonetsao wrote:
Second, Greater Bay is a terrible name for airline. Bay means harboured water by the sea. It has nothing to do with flying. Instead, it gives impression of safety harbour and stationary. From Chinese supersuspision point of view, this Greater Bay means never take off or flying, as its meaning is to park, to station in a Bay. And it is a giant bay.

It's not exactly the first airline to be named after a body of water.

chonetsao wrote:
Third, Greater Bay is grammarly wrong in English. If you call a place Greater Bay, where is Great Bay? When we call Greater China, is due to the fact China normally means mainland, so to incorporate Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan into the region, Greater China is used. So what is exactly Greater Bay, which original bay they think is the Great Bay?

The use of "greater" for a conurbation is very frequent. I guess it started with the Greater London in 1963, in which case it rightly indicated that it was larger than the original county of London. Since then, it spread as indicating that it's larger than the original city or area. I admit that the case of Greater Bay is stretching a bit the concept as it is not that different from the Pearl River Delta but it's probably a way to make it more marketing-friendly.

That being said, you may not like this name, we all have our feelings. I'm not specially fond of this one.

zakuivcustom

Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:55 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
What an ugly name...

The more equivalent would be naming an airline based out of SFO or OAK or SJC "Bay Area Airlines", which sounds just as ugly.

Actually, name an airlines "Silicon Valley Airlines" out of SJC and I will still think it is an ugly name.

Toinou wrote:

Well, including the parent "Donghai" (East Sea) Airlines...

chonetsao

Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:13 pm

Toinou wrote:
chonetsao wrote:

chonetsao wrote:

The use of "greater" for a conurbation is very frequent. I guess it started with the Greater London in 1963, in which case it rightly indicated that it was larger than the original county of London. Since then, it spread as indicating that it's larger than the original city or area. I admit that the case of Greater Bay is stretching a bit the concept as it is not that different from the Pearl River Delta but it's probably a way to make it more marketing-friendly.

That being said, you may not like this name, we all have our feelings. I'm not specially fond of this one.

I think you are kissing the point. When you talk about Greater London, or Greater China, both London and China is included in the designated area, and name. However, for Greater Bay, to make any sense, you need to define Great Bay. Could anyone tell us where Great Bay is? And what areas of Greater Bay is included?

There are airlines that include name of bode of water. But none of recognised airlines would use the name of Bay. Because, as English speaker will tell you Bay is a bad name for airlines. Think of Parking Bay for a starter.

Toinou

Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:23 pm

chonetsao wrote:
I think you are kissing the point. When you talk about Greater London, or Greater China, both London and China is included in the designated area, and name. However, for Greater Bay, to make any sense, you need to define Great Bay. Could anyone tell us where Great Bay is? And what areas of Greater Bay is included?

Do we really need an airline name to be precise? Many airlines have very vague names. Many had names using very vague notions (like Eastern Airlines or American Airlines) or outdated ones (QANTAS stands for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services) and it didn't seem to bother anyone. Many airlines, for example in China or USA have or had a geographical related name but went flying a lot outside of those areas.
But once again, I get it, you don't like the name.

zakuivcustom

Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:27 pm

chonetsao wrote:
Toinou wrote:
chonetsao wrote:

chonetsao wrote:

There are airlines that include name of bode of water. But none of recognised airlines would use the name of Bay. Because, as English speaker will tell you Bay is a bad name for airlines. Think of Parking Bay for a starter.

You basically hit the point I wanted to make :).

Well, for me, using a specific Bay as airline name is okay (i.e. some mythical Subic Bay Airlines) as that follow trends of naming airline after a place. But WTF is Greater Bay anyway?

Oh, and adding on to my previous post, if somebody decide to name an airline "Greater London Airlines" (base out of one of the far-flung airport of London) it is still an ugly name.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos