Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
luv2cattlecall
Topic Author
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:25 am

2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:30 pm

Have a family member on AA3301, and E175, and she said boarding was halted due to another aircraft hitting their plane. Don't have any other details at the moment.
 
zuckie13
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:48 pm

I swear officer, the plane parked at the gate with the Jetway attached just came out of nowhere and hit me!

Guess a pilot misjudged and a wing walker didn't catch it.
 
TMccrury
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:24 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:30 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
I swear officer, the plane parked at the gate with the Jetway attached just came out of nowhere and hit me!

Guess a pilot misjudged and a wing walker didn't catch it.


This is great.
 
User avatar
Web500sjc
Posts: 859
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:23 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:41 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
I swear officer, the plane parked at the gate with the Jetway attached just came out of nowhere and hit me!

Guess a pilot misjudged and a wing walker didn't catch it.



Generally not far off. From the cockpit you really have to stretch in order to see a wing tip (even then you can only see the one on the same side), that is why airplanes use center lines, lead-in lines, wing walkers and have a “clear area” around the gate.
Boiler Up!
 
JohnAudiR18
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:37 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:27 pm

oh dear..... any word on what plane collided with the 175???
 
Antarius
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:01 am

Wow. Given the lack of traffic, this is like crashing on an empty freeway.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
FSDan
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:09 am

I didn't think they let Doug Parker actually drive the planes... :duck:
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 8980
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:16 am

If you've ever read the written reports the wing-walkers write in their own hands after an incident like this, you will quickly understand -- at least at some stations -- why this kind of thing happens.
 
alasizon
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:25 am

Antarius wrote:
Wow. Given the lack of traffic, this is like crashing on an empty freeway.


Clearly you missed how busy DFW has been.

Either way, in order for a two aircraft incident to happen, all it takes is two aircraft; not hundreds.

JohnAudiR18 wrote:
oh dear..... any word on what plane collided with the 175???

Hearing it was another E175.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
CaptainObvious1
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:22 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:30 am

JohnAudiR18 wrote:
oh dear..... any word on what plane collided with the 175???


It was an "Error Plane" :wave:

Hopefully no injuries other than egos.
 
luv2cattlecall
Topic Author
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:25 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:07 am

FSDan wrote:
I didn't think they let Doug Parker actually drive the planes... :duck:


Brilliant!

Aren't the jet bridges for gates B1 and B2 really close to each other? Of all the gates for this to happen at, this would be one of the least surprising.
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2524
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:20 am

Well the good news is that they have plenty of spares.
 
airtran737
Posts: 3478
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:47 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:43 am

alasizon wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Wow. Given the lack of traffic, this is like crashing on an empty freeway.


Clearly you missed how busy DFW has been.

Either way, in order for a two aircraft incident to happen, all it takes is two aircraft; not hundreds.

JohnAudiR18 wrote:
oh dear..... any word on what plane collided with the 175???

Hearing it was another E175.


It was another 175. They marshaled him in on the wrong line.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 806
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:58 am

Antarius wrote:
Wow. Given the lack of traffic, this is like crashing on an empty freeway.


Because it also means lack of practice and alert.
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:22 am

3301 Is ENVOY. I assume the other one is, as well?
 
User avatar
Joshu
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:32 am

This thread has provided such minimal information so far.
Washington-Baltimore Spotters Group
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:46 am

Joshu wrote:
This thread has provided such minimal information so far.

Two E175s made contact after one was marshaled in on the wrong line at DFW. It’s literally all there.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
reltney
Posts: 635
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:34 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:12 pm

If they were both Envoy planes, the thread title is incorrect.... write that off to poor journalism or armchair aviators...
Yup, I am that critical and so should you. The pilots paycheck says Envoy, not American....
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...
 
Wacker1000
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:01 pm

Nice to see AA's attention to detail trickling down to the regionals.
 
ScottB
Posts: 6993
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:17 pm

reltney wrote:
If they were both Envoy planes, the thread title is incorrect.... write that off to poor journalism or armchair aviators...
Yup, I am that critical and so should you. The pilots paycheck says Envoy, not American....


However, Envoy is a wholly-owned subsidiary of American Airlines Group, the aircraft livery is nearly identical to American's livery, and it's likely that every single passenger on both planes bought tickets on American, not Envoy. As usual with the U.S. legacy carriers, they're happy to put their branding on an outsourced product when things go mostly fine, but when there's a screw-up, "Oh, that wasn't actually American, it was Envoy."
 
User avatar
AirKevin
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:49 pm

Antarius wrote:
Wow. Given the lack of traffic, this is like crashing on an empty freeway.

As a truck driver, you'd be surprised how many times I've seen that happen.
Captain Kevin
 
Antarius
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:22 pm

ScottB wrote:
reltney wrote:
If they were both Envoy planes, the thread title is incorrect.... write that off to poor journalism or armchair aviators...
Yup, I am that critical and so should you. The pilots paycheck says Envoy, not American....


However, Envoy is a wholly-owned subsidiary of American Airlines Group, the aircraft livery is nearly identical to American's livery, and it's likely that every single passenger on both planes bought tickets on American, not Envoy. As usual with the U.S. legacy carriers, they're happy to put their branding on an outsourced product when things go mostly fine, but when there's a screw-up, "Oh, that wasn't actually American, it was Envoy."


Its the same as hotels. There are a few pedants who like to point out that it isn't Marriott that's at fault but xyz nameless operating company. End of the day, what matters is the livery outside.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
arcticcruiser
Posts: 455
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:30 pm

Slow newsday much?
 
zuckie13
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:33 pm

airtran737 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Wow. Given the lack of traffic, this is like crashing on an empty freeway.


Clearly you missed how busy DFW has been.

Either way, in order for a two aircraft incident to happen, all it takes is two aircraft; not hundreds.

JohnAudiR18 wrote:
oh dear..... any word on what plane collided with the 175???

Hearing it was another E175.


It was another 175. They marshaled him in on the wrong line.


I just looked at that gate and the one next to it on Google Maps - yeah, that is just a dumb design there. Three different lines for B1, including two parallel ones that are 10 feet apart maybe. Pick a gate size for that gate and clean that mess up. Not like there is a lack of gates for AA at that airport.
 
Antarius
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:58 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
airtran737 wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Clearly you missed how busy DFW has been.

Either way, in order for a two aircraft incident to happen, all it takes is two aircraft; not hundreds.


Hearing it was another E175.


It was another 175. They marshaled him in on the wrong line.


I just looked at that gate and the one next to it on Google Maps - yeah, that is just a dumb design there. Three different lines for B1, including two parallel ones that are 10 feet apart maybe. Pick a gate size for that gate and clean that mess up. Not like there is a lack of gates for AA at that airport.


Actually there is a lack of gates at DFW. Right now, its less crazy that it is, but the airport has been desperately needing a new terminal and additional gates for a while.

But yes, B1-B3 are the worst gates. They are these add on gates that link to the terminal D FIS.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
alasizon
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:01 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
I just looked at that gate and the one next to it on Google Maps - yeah, that is just a dumb design there. Three different lines for B1, including two parallel ones that are 10 feet apart maybe. Pick a gate size for that gate and clean that mess up. Not like there is a lack of gates for AA at that airport.


It actually isn't that bad, it isn't like there are multiple E175 stop blocks on the ground. As part of the expansion to accommodate ML at the low B gates they had to add a few new lead-in lines but either way ramp agents should be pretty cognizant of where they are going to stop the aircraft and since the Envoy agents only ever work the regional lead-in lines, they should be pretty familiar.

B1A, B2 and B3A are the regional lines while B1 and B3 are the Mainline lead-in lines and B1X is the widebody gate. One has to remember these are also FIS capable gates. It wouldn't be possible to move B1 to the south to share the same lead-in line as B1A as that would block D38 and D40.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:05 pm

reltney wrote:
If they were both Envoy planes, the thread title is incorrect.... write that off to poor journalism or armchair aviators...
Yup, I am that critical and so should you. The pilots paycheck says Envoy, not American....

True, but if you ask an actual Envoy Employee who they work for, almost every one will say "American Airlines".
 
User avatar
AAlaxfan
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 am

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:41 pm

Is there a link to any article?
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.
 
zuckie13
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: 2 AA aircraft hit each other at DFW

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:40 pm

alasizon wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:
I just looked at that gate and the one next to it on Google Maps - yeah, that is just a dumb design there. Three different lines for B1, including two parallel ones that are 10 feet apart maybe. Pick a gate size for that gate and clean that mess up. Not like there is a lack of gates for AA at that airport.


It actually isn't that bad, it isn't like there are multiple E175 stop blocks on the ground. As part of the expansion to accommodate ML at the low B gates they had to add a few new lead-in lines but either way ramp agents should be pretty cognizant of where they are going to stop the aircraft and since the Envoy agents only ever work the regional lead-in lines, they should be pretty familiar.

B1A, B2 and B3A are the regional lines while B1 and B3 are the Mainline lead-in lines and B1X is the widebody gate. One has to remember these are also FIS capable gates. It wouldn't be possible to move B1 to the south to share the same lead-in line as B1A as that would block D38 and D40.


Thanks, that explains why it is the mess it is. Yeah, Ramp agent should know, but pilot could easily get confused if they don't know the gate well, especially with the line numbers not immediately next to each other (B1X and B1 are right at the roadway edge, B1A is set back from it).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos