Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
mcdu
Topic Author
Posts: 1605
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:47 am

Delta found the hail in the east coast storms yesterday. That radome looks a mess. Wonder if the ATC audio is available for this event?

https://simpleflying.com/delta-a319-nose-damage/
 
DTWLAX
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:47 am

 
n7371f
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:30 am

Yep. And ABC News, always a sucker for anything "emergency" involving a plane, made it sound like life and death with David Tree.

mcdu wrote:
Delta found the hail in the east coast storms yesterday. That radome looks a mess. Wonder if the ATC audio is available for this event?

https://simpleflying.com/delta-a319-nose-damage/
 
deyoe1118
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:58 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:34 am

It was a bird strike, not hail per Delta flight ops and MTC

Aircraft 3142 (N342NB)
 
flight152
Posts: 3449
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 8:04 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:43 am

deyoe1118 wrote:
It was a bird strike, not hail per Delta flight ops and MTC

Aircraft 3142 (N342NB)


That’s not even close what a bird strike looks like.
 
uadc8contrail
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:23 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:47 am

the picture that mcdu posted is definately hail, not a bird strike
Bus Driver
 
User avatar
adambrau
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:44 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:58 am

Was at the gate working on AF007 JFK-CDG and saw a whole bunch of emergency vehicles streams by T1. A little later I saw what I thought was a DL A320 stopped midway down a runway and that was where the Emergency vehicles eventually surrounded the plane. Was curious but busy. There were storms in the area so makes sense. Glad all are safe.
JFK Friendly
 
User avatar
Boeing757rb211
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:24 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:42 am

Wow while not unheard of at all,,, Still quite impressive the damage caused. This is gonna be a VERY expensive repair (not that hail cant of course do massive damage at high speeds) but this should run what.... $50,000 or even more JUST to replace the Radome on the 319 + All the internal Navigation equipment that was actually broken or damaged, And whatever damage there is to the surrounding Radome Housing, Front/Side Windscreens Leading edges of the wings and tail area and of course any external and possible internal engine damage from this incredible. Anyone know any ballpark figures for some of the things things that may need replacing or fixing? And is it at all possible with Aviations' current trajectory/climate being that this is a pre-merger Northwest Airlines A319 18+ Years old,,, If its possible they may just part it out or get rid of it ?
 
deyoe1118
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:58 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:53 am

uadc8contrail wrote:
the picture that mcdu posted is definately hail, not a bird strike


Got friends in both MTC and OCC that confirm bird strike. That's all I can say so think what you want otherwise.
 
catiii
Posts: 3515
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:30 am

deyoe1118 wrote:
uadc8contrail wrote:
the picture that mcdu posted is definately hail, not a bird strike


Got friends in both MTC and OCC that confirm bird strike. That's all I can say so think what you want otherwise.


Having flown through roughly the same weather and landing shortly after the aircraft in question, I’d find it hard to believe it was a bird no matter what DL us saying.
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5910
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:29 am

deyoe1118 wrote:
uadc8contrail wrote:
the picture that mcdu posted is definately hail, not a bird strike


Got friends in both MTC and OCC that confirm bird strike. That's all I can say so think what you want otherwise.


Maybe they hit a pterodactyl?
 
AKL321NX
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:35 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:45 am

deyoe1118 wrote:
uadc8contrail wrote:
the picture that mcdu posted is definately hail, not a bird strike


Got friends in both MTC and OCC that confirm bird strike. That's all I can say so think what you want otherwise.

A swarm of very cold hummingbirds maybe
 
TYWoolman
Posts: 501
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:03 pm

Boeing757rb211 wrote:
Wow while not unheard of at all,,, Still quite impressive the damage caused. This is gonna be a VERY expensive repair (not that hail cant of course do massive damage at high speeds) but this should run what.... $50,000 or even more JUST to replace the Radome on the 319 + All the internal Navigation equipment that was actually broken or damaged, And whatever damage there is to the surrounding Radome Housing, Front/Side Windscreens Leading edges of the wings and tail area and of course any external and possible internal engine damage from this incredible. Anyone know any ballpark figures for some of the things things that may need replacing or fixing? And is it at all possible with Aviations' current trajectory/climate being that this is a pre-merger Northwest Airlines A319 18+ Years old,,, If its possible they may just part it out or get rid of it ?


Don't have an answer but that's one hail of a litany of questions and curious myself! Glad plane landed safely. Good work, pilots!
 
bigb
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:38 pm

 
gon2fly
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:44 pm

When I first saw this on the news yesterday I told my wife there is no way that is a bird strike. Lack of any blood and the peppered 'hits' def looked like hail damage. Day later.....it's hail damage. You hit a bird and it's pretty much not your fault. You fly through hail and it's pretty much always your fault. Pilots will wish they had hit a bird.....
 
nwadeicer
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:17 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:45 pm

The one things that jumps out of that news article is only 43 passengers on a Florida to NYC flight...
I miss the Red Tail
 
N766UA
Posts: 8313
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 1999 3:50 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:31 pm

gon2fly wrote:
When I first saw this on the news yesterday I told my wife there is no way that is a bird strike. Lack of any blood and the peppered 'hits' def looked like hail damage. Day later.....it's hail damage. You hit a bird and it's pretty much not your fault. You fly through hail and it's pretty much always your fault. Pilots will wish they had hit a bird.....


Unless it’s an old airbus. Radar on those things is notoriously bad.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15102
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:38 pm

There has been some intense storms in the NYC region with significant hail. I wonder why this flight continued to NYC with an intense storm, that didn't just stay outside the storm zone for a while until the front passed. It would have been much safer.
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:41 pm

deyoe1118 wrote:
uadc8contrail wrote:
the picture that mcdu posted is definately hail, not a bird strike


Got friends in both MTC and OCC that confirm bird strike. That's all I can say so think what you want otherwise.


Well apparently they lied to you. Perhaps your definition of a friend needs to be refined. Sounds like you heard rumor mill gossip from a random employee who you deem a "friend."
 
Wacker1000
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:54 pm

Odd that there is no visible damage to the fuselage or leading edges.
 
txjim
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 1:44 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:06 pm

Curious as to why JFK was a diversion from LGA. Is there a runway or pattern consideration that made JFK a better choice?
 
mcdu
Topic Author
Posts: 1605
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:14 pm

DL seems to have these type of events on a regular basis. Didn’t they have the same thing happen twice around DEN in the past couple of years?
 
bigb
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:25 pm

txjim wrote:
Curious as to why JFK was a diversion from LGA. Is there a runway or pattern consideration that made JFK a better choice?


Longer and more favorable runways, clear of weather, bigger DL maintenance presence.
 
User avatar
LX015
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:48 pm

mcdu wrote:
Delta found the hail in the east coast storms yesterday. That radome looks a mess. Wonder if the ATC audio is available for this event?

https://simpleflying.com/delta-a319-nose-damage/



Ask and ye shall receive...
https://youtu.be/SNFhd5r0teE
 
AWACSooner
Posts: 2536
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:35 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:52 pm

nwadeicer wrote:
The one things that jumps out of that news article is only 43 passengers on a Florida to NYC flight...

Well, since NY/NJ/CT are pretty much issuing mandatory 14-day quarantines for any state south of the Mason-Dixon line...
 
AA757223
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:09 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:43 pm

On the ground at JFK they said “we briefly lost all aircraft controls.” That’s wild. Glad everything worked out
 
User avatar
Boeing757100
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:50 pm

Again! Does any1 else remember a couple years ago another A320 family aircraft took a beating from hail and landed in Denver?
 
HII
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:57 pm

I bet quite a few of the pax were saying their own Hail Mary's. :duck:
 
FCOTSTW
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:34 pm

Some other detailed description and a close-up picture of the nose over here:

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4d9a5e87&opt=0
 
RetiredWeasel
Posts: 789
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:36 pm

Delta has a some experience in repairing hail damaged radomes. 744 going into Incheon a few years back:
https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... it-of.html
 
User avatar
tb727
Posts: 2204
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:40 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:41 pm

N766UA wrote:
gon2fly wrote:
When I first saw this on the news yesterday I told my wife there is no way that is a bird strike. Lack of any blood and the peppered 'hits' def looked like hail damage. Day later.....it's hail damage. You hit a bird and it's pretty much not your fault. You fly through hail and it's pretty much always your fault. Pilots will wish they had hit a bird.....


Unless it’s an old airbus. Radar on those things is notoriously bad.


Weather radar doesn't paint hail. The newer radar RDR-4000 on 320 series delivered the last 3-4 years does have a hazard function depicting where hail may be. Both radar systems I use tend to make things look worse than they are generally speaking. On the older ones as you get closer it looks better. If you are still painting stuff 60 miles out and closer in auto, it's probably there at your altitude.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!
 
User avatar
OA412
Moderator
Posts: 4773
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2000 6:22 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:15 pm

mcdu wrote:
DL seems to have these type of events on a regular basis. Didn’t they have the same thing happen twice around DEN in the past couple of years?

They don't. There were a couple of hail incidents in 2015. Nothing since then until this one.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West
 
Tn55337
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:09 pm

Is this one a write off? :-)
 
deltairlines
Posts: 7038
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 4:47 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:18 pm

There was golf ball sized hail in the NYC metro that day. We somehow avoided most of the storms (I live about 8 miles southwest of EWR) but the radar around the metro area was pretty grim.
 
saab805
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:02 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:08 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
Again! Does any1 else remember a couple years ago another A320 family aircraft took a beating from hail and landed in Denver?


This was the AA one in 2018.

https://www.kob.com/business-news/ameri ... s/4935112/
 
saab805
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:02 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:19 pm

Boeing757rb211 wrote:
Wow while not unheard of at all,,, Still quite impressive the damage caused. This is gonna be a VERY expensive repair (not that hail cant of course do massive damage at high speeds) but this should run what.... $50,000 or even more JUST to replace the Radome on the 319 + All the internal Navigation equipment that was actually broken or damaged, And whatever damage there is to the surrounding Radome Housing, Front/Side Windscreens Leading edges of the wings and tail area and of course any external and possible internal engine damage from this incredible. Anyone know any ballpark figures for some of the things things that may need replacing or fixing? And is it at all possible with Aviations' current trajectory/climate being that this is a pre-merger Northwest Airlines A319 18+ Years old,,, If its possible they may just part it out or get rid of it ?


Radome repair will be around half that. But your point is accurate, it depends what other components were damaged (weather radar, etc. )
 
sadde
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:46 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:39 pm

Tn55337 wrote:
Is this one a write off? :-)


Lol why is everyone so obsessed with this question
 
DTWLAX
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:32 am

nwadeicer wrote:
The one things that jumps out of that news article is only 43 passengers on a Florida to NYC flight...

You need to catch up on some Covid news. NY, NJ and CT are requiring people flying in from FL go into a mandatory quarantine. Why will people fly unless it is absolutely necessary or for an emergency?
Also, DL is still blocking middle seats on planes and flying only about 60% of plane capacity, so there is no way that plane was going to be full.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7936
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:55 am

saab805 wrote:
Boeing757rb211 wrote:
Wow while not unheard of at all,,, Still quite impressive the damage caused. This is gonna be a VERY expensive repair (not that hail cant of course do massive damage at high speeds) but this should run what.... $50,000 or even more JUST to replace the Radome on the 319 + All the internal Navigation equipment that was actually broken or damaged, And whatever damage there is to the surrounding Radome Housing, Front/Side Windscreens Leading edges of the wings and tail area and of course any external and possible internal engine damage from this incredible. Anyone know any ballpark figures for some of the things things that may need replacing or fixing? And is it at all possible with Aviations' current trajectory/climate being that this is a pre-merger Northwest Airlines A319 18+ Years old,,, If its possible they may just part it out or get rid of it ?


Radome repair will be around half that. But your point is accurate, it depends what other components were damaged (weather radar, etc. )

It will fly again.

Considering a few things - with flying down there is a large amount of rotable parts in inventory and/or could be taken off of aircraft in storage.
Secondly, the maintenance labor is more or less paid for right now with wages under the CARES act.

They will likely inspect, repair, and replace whatever is necessary. The aircraft will have to fly out of JFK either way.

50/50 chance they either repair it and get it back into service in JFK, or just repair enough to get a ferry permit to send it out to someplace like ATL for the time being.
 
User avatar
September11
Posts: 3647
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:19 am

I suppose insurance will cover the damage in this incident
Airliners.net of the Future
 
2175301
Posts: 1763
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:19 am

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:35 am

September11 wrote:
I suppose insurance will cover the damage in this incident


Unlikely. The cost of this repair is probably less than the deductible.
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:54 am

2175301 wrote:
September11 wrote:
I suppose insurance will cover the damage in this incident


Unlikely. The cost of this repair is probably less than the deductible.


I've never thought about this - what is a typical "deductible" for an aircraft/airline like this?
Do deductibles vary, or are they standardized as on autos?
 
alasizon
Posts: 2565
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Delta has a hail encounter.

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:11 am

FlyHappy wrote:
2175301 wrote:
September11 wrote:
I suppose insurance will cover the damage in this incident


Unlikely. The cost of this repair is probably less than the deductible.


I've never thought about this - what is a typical "deductible" for an aircraft/airline like this?
Do deductibles vary, or are they standardized as on autos?


Most airlines self-insure with deductibles well in the $1M-$2.5M range depending on the incident.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos