Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aviator2000
Topic Author

LEVEL France to cease flying

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:04 pm

The IAG-owned airline will be closing it's french venture several newspapers are reporting, citing the difficulties originated by the pandemic. The airline flew from Paris to Canada, the US and a few destinations in the Caribbean from Paris Orly. With this Barcelona will be the airline's only remaining base after LEVEL Europe ceased operations last month, however, many are speculating that the end of this base might come sooner rather than later.
Link in Spanish: https://cincodias.elpais.com/cincodias/ ... 98230.html
Link in English: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/0 ... e-airline/

SCQ83

Re: LEVEL France to cease flying

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:58 pm

LEVEL was a preventive measure against Norwegian long-haul.

With Norwegian long-haul out, there is no point for LEVEL.

BCN is a low-yielding tourism market, so no point for a local long-haul base anymore. Customers can fly via Madrid.

JeremyXWB

Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:32 pm

So does this mean that OpenSkies would be closed for good?

aviator2000
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:06 pm

JeremyXWB wrote:

I assume no other airline will be using OpenSkies' AOC. With the massive reduction of demand there'll be after this crisis i can't imagine any other airline beginning operations, specially in a market like Paris with so many airlines already operating.

Aisak

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:51 pm

JeremyXWB wrote:

They ***could** use the French entity/AOC to to the flying based around the european bases outside Spain as the labor agreement signed in Vueling makes them quite expensive... but I will for sure angry the Spanish unions...

As for “LEVEL BCN“, I see the planes painted in IB colors sooner than later and operating ex-MAD.

vhtje

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:52 pm

So from this, along with the demise of LEVEL Europe (the former Anisec operation) do we extrapolate that LEVEL is done? The only remaining LEVEL operation is the IB part. That can be absorbed back into IB easily.

As SCQ83 so eloquently puts it:

SCQ83 wrote:
LEVEL was a preventive measure against Norwegian long-haul.

With Norwegian long-haul out, there is no point for LEVEL.

Can't think many people will miss them. Nasty livery, too. It looked like it was designed by a 14 year old using Microsoft Paintbrush, circa 1992. In about ten minutes of effort.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

tobsw

Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:59 pm

As long as in Spain the special COVID-19 furlough benefit is in place, I doubt IAG will fold that project. There are now discussions whether to extend the special furlough benefit into 2021 for the most affected industries.

Once the furlough benefit is over and IB is actually firing staff in Spain, then IAG/IB will fold and shelf the LEVEL project. Planes will go to Ciudad Real and Teruel for parking, and whenever there's a need for the operation, IAG/IB can rebuild the project in probably 1 to 2 month time.

I doubt they'll be painted in IB colours. IB will be so much smaller, that any plane is actually too much already.

cityshuttle

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:02 pm

Would at least a few routes make sense to be officially flown by IB from BCN ?

etchasketch

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:06 pm

No they will not be missed. OpenSkies was a decent airline, but Level France put the old OpenSkies crews in dreadful conditions. The call center was particularly unhelpful because they were shared with Vueling out of Spain and operated only during EU business hours, which stranded many passengers trying to change their reservations while in North America. In EWR, the airline had no dedicated agents and contracted out to the airport staff, with predictable levels of customer service.

aviator2000
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:18 pm

cityshuttle wrote:

My guess is that EZE & JFK are the routes that work best for them. They even had double daily flights some days on the BCN-EZE route last year. However, in a post-covid world, everything has changed.

william

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:41 pm

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! They were dirt cheap last year from Paris Orly to EWR. My only complaint was them charging for water.....ITS WATER PEOPLE!! The crew were professional and nice the A330-200 was clean too and seatback video on a no frills airline was nice way to pass 7 hours.

The only airline I know that still uses carbon paper for credit card receipts. The 70s called and they want their credit card slider thingy back. Going to miss Level.

Vasu

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:46 pm

william wrote:
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! They were dirt cheap last year from Paris Orly to EWR. My only complaint was them charging for water.....ITS WATER PEOPLE!! The crew were professional and nice the A330-200 was clean too and seatback video on a no frills airline was nice way to pass 7 hours.

The only airline I know that still uses carbon paper for credit card receipts. The 70s called and they want their credit card slider thingy back. Going to miss Level.

Wow, carbon paper receipts?! For this reason alone I would want to fly with them!

ShamrockBoi330

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:51 pm

how many aircraft were based in ORY (I know its a small number, but how small!) and what will happen to these planes, they are brand new so could they be headed to EI or IB to replace older aircraft there? Although EI have ben moving away from the a332s!

onwFan

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:22 pm

ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
how many aircraft were based in ORY (I know its a small number, but how small!) and what will happen to these planes, they are brand new so could they be headed to EI or IB to replace older aircraft there? Although EI have ben moving away from the a332s!

IB is retiring their 16 A340s. If needed, these could be used as a buffer till the A350s arrive.

BA174

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:27 pm

Aren’t the BCN Level flights still operated by IB crews under IBs AOC anyways? If so it would mearly be a reconfiguration and repaint if they wanted to operated full service IB long haul from BCN again.

dcajet

Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:32 pm

aviator2000 wrote:
cityshuttle wrote:

My guess is that EZE & JFK are the routes that work best for them. They even had double daily flights some days on the BCN-EZE route last year. However, in a post-covid world, everything has changed.

BCN-EZE is a license to print money for IAG. And a monopoly to boot. It generates good demand year round and the LEVEL operation is perfectly suited for this mostly high demand, low yielding route.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

LAX772LR

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:13 pm

william wrote:
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! They were dirt cheap

....which is why this was inevitable.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

aviator2000
Topic Author

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:20 pm

dcajet wrote:
aviator2000 wrote:
cityshuttle wrote:

BCN-EZE is a license to print money for IAG. And a monopoly to boot. It generates good demand year round and the LEVEL operation is perfectly suited for this mostly high demand, low yielding route.

Yes that's what I've heard, but I'm sceptical on whether they'd keep the entire brand for a profitable route. Perhaps they could use a single IB plane to fulfill the BCN-ARGENTINA market?