Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:56 pm

Good afternoon,

Seems like first destinations to be operated by AUH based aircraft have been loaded into the system. The base will consist of two A321s and the following destinations will be launched:

Yerevan, 2 weekly from 03.10.2020
Larnaca, 2 weekly from 03.10.2020
Alexandria, 3 weekly from 02.10.2020
Kutaisi, 2 weekly from 01.10.2020
Athens, 3 weekly from 02.10.2020
Odessa, 2 weekly from 01.10.2020

Budapest, Katowice, Sofia, Bucharest and Cluj Napoca were already announced and it remains to be seen if they will be switched to AUH-based aircraft or not.

This is definitely interesting as Etihad already fliest to Athens and from what I recall quite successfully. I am sure Wizz Air is also trying to attract the Dubai crew so it remains to be seen what Emirates does and if they bring back the A380 which used to operate DXB-ATH on a summer seasonal basis.

Alexandria is another interesting choice as Air Arabia Abu Dhabi announced their own flights just a few days ago. Etihad is also operating on this market so it remains to be seen what they do and if they stick around.

This is extremely interesting to follow because Wizz Air seems to be attacking AUH based competition directly and indirectly those flying in and out of DXB.

All flights are already bookable on www.wizzair.com
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4239
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Already being discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1429759
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:03 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Already being discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1429759


The opening of their first non-European base is pretty big and deserves its own thread.
 
User avatar
AirPacific747
Posts: 9715
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:43 pm

I’m surprised that the UAE authorities have allowed a foreign airline to set up a base in AUH
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4239
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:54 pm

AirPacific747 wrote:
I’m surprised that the UAE authorities have allowed a foreign airline to set up a base in AUH


Technically it's not a foreign airline. Wizzair Abu Dhabi has a an Abu Dhabian AOC, making it a local airline. It might be foreign owned, but that's nothing new. Lots of companies have foreign owners, the UAE is very lax about that.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:55 pm

The Etihad attempt to make Abu Dhabi airport as big as Dubai has failed - global domination in the shape of EY is not going to happen

Wizz are a very different airline to Etihad... and the routes they can connect to Abu Dhabi are not the primary candidate routes that Etihad would pick - think Cluj instead of Chicago. This will likely see dramatic growth in passenger numbers and new routes at Abu Dhabi airport with minimal financial risk for the UAE
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:35 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
The Etihad attempt to make Abu Dhabi airport as big as Dubai has failed - global domination in the shape of EY is not going to happen

Wizz are a very different airline to Etihad... and the routes they can connect to Abu Dhabi are not the primary candidate routes that Etihad would pick - think Cluj instead of Chicago. This will likely see dramatic growth in passenger numbers and new routes at Abu Dhabi airport with minimal financial risk for the UAE


But when it comes to the AUH hub, destinations like Chicago can't survive without destinations such as Cluj. What I'm saying is that Etihad needs both in order to survive. They finally got their own flydubai but now it seems like Wizz Air is going after them (Alexandria). Does Air Arabia have what's needed to fight Wizz Air in such markets? Transfer passengers connecting onto EY will help but I don't know if it will be enough long-term.

As for Athens, in winter Etihad sends its A320. I have a feeling they will turn it into a summer seasonal destination where Air Arabia will take over in winter time. Similar to what EK does with FZ in places like Zagreb.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4239
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:46 pm

Blerg wrote:
But when it comes to the AUH hub, destinations like Chicago can't survive without destinations such as Cluj. What I'm saying is that Etihad needs both in order to survive. They finally got their own flydubai but now it seems like Wizz Air is going after them (Alexandria). Does Air Arabia have what's needed to fight Wizz Air in such markets? Transfer passengers connecting onto EY will help but I don't know if it will be enough long-term.


They might not interline, but that doesn't stop people from self-transfering. All it takes is for two airlines to use the same airport and they'll feed each other.

Wizzair doesn't offer any connections within their network, but people make their own connections by booking each flight separate. I've self-connected quite a bit myself, never had any problems.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:53 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
But when it comes to the AUH hub, destinations like Chicago can't survive without destinations such as Cluj. What I'm saying is that Etihad needs both in order to survive. They finally got their own flydubai but now it seems like Wizz Air is going after them (Alexandria). Does Air Arabia have what's needed to fight Wizz Air in such markets? Transfer passengers connecting onto EY will help but I don't know if it will be enough long-term.


They might not interline, but that doesn't stop people from self-transfering. All it takes is for two airlines to use the same airport and they'll feed each other.

Wizzair doesn't offer any connections within their network, but people make their own connections by booking each flight separate. I've self-connected quite a bit myself, never had any problems.


Why would someone self-connect in AUH when he can get a good enough price with EY or with any other airline in the region (Emirates, Saudia, Qatar, Gulf Air...)? I just don't see this as a competitive advantage. Flying in and out of Dubai/Abu Dhabi can be quite expensive. I think this is the market Wizz Air is after.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4239
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:28 pm

Blerg wrote:
Why would someone self-connect in AUH when he can get a good enough price with EY or with any other airline in the region (Emirates, Saudia, Qatar, Gulf Air...)? I just don't see this as a competitive advantage. Flying in and out of Dubai/Abu Dhabi can be quite expensive. I think this is the market Wizz Air is after.


Because it can sometimes be cheaper.

Let me give you an example, let's say you want to fly from London to New Delhi on October 17th. What do you think the cheapest opportunity is? British Airways? Emirates? Etihad? Qatar?

Actually, it's a combination of Ryanair, Wizzair and GoAir.

Ryanair London Stansted - Sofia, depart 06:30, arrive 11:35, €57
Wizzair Sofia - Abu Dhabi, depart 14:10, arrive 20:05, €45
GoAir Abu Dhabi - New Delhi, depart 22:35, arrive 04:10 (+1), €117

Total costs: €219. Cheapest legacy airline is LOT Polish Airlines for €330. Saves you €111.
 
myki
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:37 pm

I've never been, so perhaps someone here knows? What's the fascination with HBE? Etihad offered it seasonal, now Air Arabia Abu Dhabi are starting it this week, and now Wizz Air are giving it a crack. I would've thought Wizz might try the all-inclusive resorts of SSH to differentiate themselves, but perhaps HBE is where the yield is?
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:57 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Why would someone self-connect in AUH when he can get a good enough price with EY or with any other airline in the region (Emirates, Saudia, Qatar, Gulf Air...)? I just don't see this as a competitive advantage. Flying in and out of Dubai/Abu Dhabi can be quite expensive. I think this is the market Wizz Air is after.


Because it can sometimes be cheaper.

Let me give you an example, let's say you want to fly from London to New Delhi on October 17th. What do you think the cheapest opportunity is? British Airways? Emirates? Etihad? Qatar?

Actually, it's a combination of Ryanair, Wizzair and GoAir.

Ryanair London Stansted - Sofia, depart 06:30, arrive 11:35, €57
Wizzair Sofia - Abu Dhabi, depart 14:10, arrive 20:05, €45
GoAir Abu Dhabi - New Delhi, depart 22:35, arrive 04:10 (+1), €117

Total costs: €219. Cheapest legacy airline is LOT Polish Airlines for €330. Saves you €111.


And how many people would go through all that trouble and hassle in order to save €111? What happens if there is a delay, how much will it cost you then?
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 804
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:07 pm

A route like London-Delhi has plenty of airlines that will offer 1-stop service and with all the competition is maybe not the best candidate for a 3-sector self-connect. Furthermore, the timings in PatrickZ80's example look a bit too tight

If however, one was travelling Sofia-Delhi - i.e. just one stop and not so much distance, and worked on the assumption of spending 8 hours at the connecting point (there's always somewhere fun to pass the time in a new city) the self-connect option might look more appealing
 
User avatar
lesfalls
Posts: 3362
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:07 pm

Blerg wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Why would someone self-connect in AUH when he can get a good enough price with EY or with any other airline in the region (Emirates, Saudia, Qatar, Gulf Air...)? I just don't see this as a competitive advantage. Flying in and out of Dubai/Abu Dhabi can be quite expensive. I think this is the market Wizz Air is after.


Because it can sometimes be cheaper.

Let me give you an example, let's say you want to fly from London to New Delhi on October 17th. What do you think the cheapest opportunity is? British Airways? Emirates? Etihad? Qatar?

Actually, it's a combination of Ryanair, Wizzair and GoAir.

Ryanair London Stansted - Sofia, depart 06:30, arrive 11:35, €57
Wizzair Sofia - Abu Dhabi, depart 14:10, arrive 20:05, €45
GoAir Abu Dhabi - New Delhi, depart 22:35, arrive 04:10 (+1), €117

Total costs: €219. Cheapest legacy airline is LOT Polish Airlines for €330. Saves you €111.


And how many people would go through all that trouble and hassle in order to save €111? What happens if there is a delay, how much will it cost you then?

Kiwi in Hungary, one of the biggest travel booking websites in the world now offers this option (actually it is their MAIN option) with thousands of people booking separate tickets and self connecting. They even set up a desk at BUD to service self transferring passengers. LGW also offers a self connecting service. In addition have done the following options with LIS-OSL-JFK (TP & DY), HAM-CPH-JFK 2X (SK and DY) and NCE-ZRH-MCT-BKK (LX and WY, they even were nice enough to check through my baggage so they didn't have to re-checkin). Such examples and service being offered shows the demand that there is. Customers are willing to save money.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.
 
cityshuttle
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Has the IATA code for Wizz Air Abu Dhabi been published yet ?
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1773
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Blerg wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Why would someone self-connect in AUH when he can get a good enough price with EY or with any other airline in the region (Emirates, Saudia, Qatar, Gulf Air...)? I just don't see this as a competitive advantage. Flying in and out of Dubai/Abu Dhabi can be quite expensive. I think this is the market Wizz Air is after.


Because it can sometimes be cheaper.

Let me give you an example, let's say you want to fly from London to New Delhi on October 17th. What do you think the cheapest opportunity is? British Airways? Emirates? Etihad? Qatar?

Actually, it's a combination of Ryanair, Wizzair and GoAir.

Ryanair London Stansted - Sofia, depart 06:30, arrive 11:35, €57
Wizzair Sofia - Abu Dhabi, depart 14:10, arrive 20:05, €45
GoAir Abu Dhabi - New Delhi, depart 22:35, arrive 04:10 (+1), €117

Total costs: €219. Cheapest legacy airline is LOT Polish Airlines for €330. Saves you €111.


And how many people would go through all that trouble and hassle in order to save €111? What happens if there is a delay, how much will it cost you then?



I would and I have done trips like this before. Not everyone would, but it doesn't need to be everyone. Some people would like to stopover in Abu Dhabi/Dubai or Sofia and spend one or two days there as well.
 
User avatar
Eindhoven
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:21 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Awesome!

Any chance for EIN-AUH flights in the future? I know it's a long shot but EIN is a focus city for W6 and it could really use a connection with the Middle East.
 
KingOfAviation
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:42 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:53 pm

cityshuttle wrote:
Has the IATA code for Wizz Air Abu Dhabi been published yet ?



yes, it's 5W. It shows on their website while making a booking.
 
Nileblue
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:01 pm

myki wrote:
I've never been, so perhaps someone here knows? What's the fascination with HBE? Etihad offered it seasonal, now Air Arabia Abu Dhabi are starting it this week, and now Wizz Air are giving it a crack. I would've thought Wizz might try the all-inclusive resorts of SSH to differentiate themselves, but perhaps HBE is where the yield is?


Since the closure of ALY a few years back HBE has become the sole airport serving Alexandria (Egypt’s second largest city) and the northern Nile Delta region. Given the relative proximity to Cairo (approx 200km) and the fact LCCs are not permitted to operate into CAI (without a notable need to change their business model), has also resulted in HBE acting as a defacto LCC airport for the price sensitive segment of the Cairo market. The Alexandria market itself is highly seasonal (summer) and very price sensitive. It largely serves the GCC VFR market, Umrah/Hajj traffic to JED/MED/YNB and to a lesser extent inbound GCC tourism.

Regarding AUH-HBE, the route was previously served by Air Arabia Egypt during 2010. Etihad launched a reactionary service weeks later. Both services were cancelled after a few months due to low demand and yield. In 2019 Etihad resumed a summer only service however with the launch of Air Arabia Abu Dhabi’s service Etihad will cancel their own operation. Given this route is seasonal and low yield it will be a real challenge for both Air Arabia Abu Dhabi and Wizzair Abu Dhabi to operate profitably on the route beyond the June to September peak travel period.
 
xwb777
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:18 pm

AUH - HBE. 10 days trip, Basic fare:

Air Arabia AD: AED458 = $125.
Wizz Air AD: AED1,185 = $323.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:47 pm

Eindhoven wrote:
Awesome!

Any chance for EIN-AUH flights in the future? I know it's a long shot but EIN is a focus city for W6 and it could really use a connection with the Middle East.


Could the A321neo/XLR even make AUH-EIN without restrictions? Wouldn't the flight be around 8 hours?
 
jghealey
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:58 pm

Will the aircraft be UAE-registered? Or still on the Hungary register through some kind of wetlease?
 
myki
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:13 pm

Nileblue wrote:
... the fact LCCs are not permitted to operate into CAI (without a notable need to change their business model), has also resulted in HBE acting as a defacto LCC airport for the price sensitive segment of the Cairo market.

Now it all makes sense ;)
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4239
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:34 pm

Blerg wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
Awesome!

Any chance for EIN-AUH flights in the future? I know it's a long shot but EIN is a focus city for W6 and it could really use a connection with the Middle East.


Could the A321neo/XLR even make AUH-EIN without restrictions? Wouldn't the flight be around 8 hours?


It's 2770 nautical miles. The range of a regular A321 is 3200 nautical miles, so that should in theory be possible. The A321NEO even has a range of 4000 nautical miles, so that would make 2770 nautical miles a piece of cake. During the Corona crisis they flew these aircraft on the Budapest - Beijing route, which is 3969 nautical miles but with a lighter load (just medical cargo). Anyway, Budapest - Beijing is 1199 nautical miles further than Abu Dhabi - Eindhoven and they've already done that.

I remember when Wizzair ordered the A321XLR they said one of the routes they were eying with that plane was London Luton - Dubai Al Maktoum. Since then they switched Dubai for Abu Dhabi, which is slightly closer. Also Eindhoven is closer to the Middle East than Luton.
 
holczakker
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:35 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
It's 2770 nautical miles. The range of a regular A321 is 3200 nautical miles, so that should in theory be possible. The A321NEO even has a range of 4000 nautical miles, so that would make 2770 nautical miles a piece of cake. During the Corona crisis they flew these aircraft on the Budapest - Beijing route, which is 3969 nautical miles but with a lighter load (just medical cargo). Anyway, Budapest - Beijing is 1199 nautical miles further than Abu Dhabi - Eindhoven and they've already done that.

Budapest-Beijing flights had to be done with a fuel stop in Nur-Sultan (even without passengers/baggage). Besides 2770 miles as the crow files means a lot longer route is flown in real life for avoiding Syria and Iraq/Iran (whichever is at war at that moment). Several DWC-BUD/KTW flights had to leave load behind in case a headwind (which is not a rare case), even the NEOs. EIN-AUH would be more or less doable most of the time but AUH-EIN is possible only with a quite limited payload (which puts the very model of the high density ULCC model in question).
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:00 am

holczakker wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
It's 2770 nautical miles. The range of a regular A321 is 3200 nautical miles, so that should in theory be possible. The A321NEO even has a range of 4000 nautical miles, so that would make 2770 nautical miles a piece of cake. During the Corona crisis they flew these aircraft on the Budapest - Beijing route, which is 3969 nautical miles but with a lighter load (just medical cargo). Anyway, Budapest - Beijing is 1199 nautical miles further than Abu Dhabi - Eindhoven and they've already done that.

Budapest-Beijing flights had to be done with a fuel stop in Nur-Sultan (even without passengers/baggage). Besides 2770 miles as the crow files means a lot longer route is flown in real life for avoiding Syria and Iraq/Iran (whichever is at war at that moment). Several DWC-BUD/KTW flights had to leave load behind in case a headwind (which is not a rare case), even the NEOs. EIN-AUH would be more or less doable most of the time but AUH-EIN is possible only with a quite limited payload (which puts the very model of the high density ULCC model in question).


I remember they even introduced LCA fuel stops for many routes to DWC though those flights were operated by regular A320s. Also, I think the flight is too long (AUH-EIN) and I don't think the difference in price could be that big in order to justify such a massive drop in comfort.
 
worldranger
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:54 am

Blerg wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Why would someone self-connect in AUH when he can get a good enough price with EY or with any other airline in the region (Emirates, Saudia, Qatar, Gulf Air...)? I just don't see this as a competitive advantage. Flying in and out of Dubai/Abu Dhabi can be quite expensive. I think this is the market Wizz Air is after.


Because it can sometimes be cheaper.

Let me give you an example, let's say you want to fly from London to New Delhi on October 17th. What do you think the cheapest opportunity is? British Airways? Emirates? Etihad? Qatar?

Actually, it's a combination of Ryanair, Wizzair and GoAir.

Ryanair London Stansted - Sofia, depart 06:30, arrive 11:35, €57
Wizzair Sofia - Abu Dhabi, depart 14:10, arrive 20:05, €45
GoAir Abu Dhabi - New Delhi, depart 22:35, arrive 04:10 (+1), €117

Total costs: €219. Cheapest legacy airline is LOT Polish Airlines for €330. Saves you €111.


And how many people would go through all that trouble and hassle in order to save €111? What happens if there is a delay, how much will it cost you then?


Patrick is spot on with this. A number of years ago EK did a study that they told the pilots about - to highlight the importance of the Indian market.
Their market researchers discovered that an Indian Y class family of four would take a detour through DXB to U.K. over a direct flight if they could save over £10 per ticket and that they would use the savings to shop in duty free. The conclusion was that the sub continental market is extremely price sensitive.

Take another example - non airline expat families in DXB/AUH - return home to/ from EU/UK regularly with Pagasus and Wizz via DWC and onwards from the interim stop due the expense of such a trip at peak times like Xmas for a family. They save €100s.

I’ve always felt that the A321LR was a game changer & much needed in DXB. if EK/FZ had ordered them earlier - the potential would have been significant.

Wizz is backed by a huge fund in Abu Dhabi & proven mgt skill in EU. Once they connect India and Europe - watch that space.
 
xwb777
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:16 am

xwb777 wrote:
AUH - HBE. 10 days trip, Basic fare:

Air Arabia AD: AED458 = $125.
Wizz Air AD: AED1,185 = $323.



I swapped the prices by mistake

Air Arabia AD: AED1,185= $323
Wizz Air AD: AED458 = $125
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10711
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:19 pm

Blerg wrote:

And how many people would go through all that trouble and hassle in order to save €111? What happens if there is a delay, how much will it cost you then?


You will be surprised - Skyscanner now gives you options for self made connections with combinations of legacy and LCCs. I know dozens of non aviation friends who do this, and I have done myself. In fact a couple of years ago I priced and ultimately booked LGW-SOF-DWC / DXB-BOM for around £100 one way.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:01 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Blerg wrote:

And how many people would go through all that trouble and hassle in order to save €111? What happens if there is a delay, how much will it cost you then?


You will be surprised - Skyscanner now gives you options for self made connections with combinations of legacy and LCCs. I know dozens of non aviation friends who do this, and I have done myself. In fact a couple of years ago I priced and ultimately booked LGW-SOF-DWC / DXB-BOM for around £100 one way.


What happened to your bag?
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4239
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Blerg wrote:
What happened to your bag?


I'm assuming it was travel with hand luggage only, no checked baggage. That's the way most ULCC passengers travel nowadays, at least I never check any bags. Of course if you had checked luggage you'd have to pay for it for each individual flight, which can make a cheap flight expensive. You'd also have to collect and re-check it at each airport.

Of course we are talking about India, and Indians are known to be heavy travelers. They always got lots of luggage with them, on Indian LCCs like IndiGo and GoAir checked baggage is free because people have it anyway. Their fares however are quite a bit higher than on the European ULCCs because of this. Europeans are known to travel light, only taking the bare essentials with them. Therefor they mostly don't have any checked baggage, which is hard to understand for the Indians.
 
PlymSpotter
Posts: 10711
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:00 pm

Blerg wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Blerg wrote:

And how many people would go through all that trouble and hassle in order to save €111? What happens if there is a delay, how much will it cost you then?


You will be surprised - Skyscanner now gives you options for self made connections with combinations of legacy and LCCs. I know dozens of non aviation friends who do this, and I have done myself. In fact a couple of years ago I priced and ultimately booked LGW-SOF-DWC / DXB-BOM for around £100 one way.


What happened to your bag?


As Patrick says, what bag?

I pack well and travel light - so I take a checked bag on very few trips. Two weeks worth of clothes for India and Nepal easily packed inside my small rucksack - I used hotel laundry services to clean and freshen all the clothes up a few times as needed.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
 
marcogr12
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:10 pm

I am still skeptical about Wizzair's new venture taking into account the fact that AUH does not have the popularity among the western world that Dubai does...How are these 239seat-planes going to be filled during low season? Not to mention that the coronavirus story will drag on till next summer...And they have another 4 A321s coming in the next months with more destinations to be announced.... Linking AUH to major european cities could work...but smaller ones i doubt...I mean FCO,VIE,WAW,MAD,BCN etc ok but what are the chances of Cluj-AUH or KTW and later on other small cities? Even if op by an A320....
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..
 
Drucocu
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:17 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:58 pm

Blerg wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Blerg wrote:

And how many people would go through all that trouble and hassle in order to save €111? What happens if there is a delay, how much will it cost you then?


You will be surprised - Skyscanner now gives you options for self made connections with combinations of legacy and LCCs. I know dozens of non aviation friends who do this, and I have done myself. In fact a couple of years ago I priced and ultimately booked LGW-SOF-DWC / DXB-BOM for around £100 one way.


What happened to your bag?


Me myself, I've self connected on plenty of itineraries. Most trouble I've had was getting to CDG from the Netherlands by train or bus. That's with everything else being as trouble free as could be. And one unexpected diversion on thank god the second leg. I know many people who prefer manufacturing their own self connections with the backup of a proper travel insurance rather than paying €100 more for a legacy airline with connection. And that's just within Europe. Used the same strategy to roam further as well to save me over €400. I'm the lowest of low budget traveler and so far I've only once come across unexpected issues which made me take a €70 last minute TGV from LIL to CDG to catch my flight.
Bag wise, I'd rather travel hand luggage only on a selfconnect rather than have a legacy airline take my bags on departure and "return" them to me on destination 3 days into a 4 day trip. Been there, done that. Same bloody hand luggage, same connection times. On self connects the bag makes it, on legacy connects it doesn't.
 
myki
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:19 am

marcogr12 wrote:
I am still skeptical about Wizzair's new venture taking into account the fact that AUH does not have the popularity among the western world that Dubai does...How are these 239seat-planes going to be filled during low season? Not to mention that the coronavirus story will drag on till next summer...And they have another 4 A321s coming in the next months with more destinations to be announced.... Linking AUH to major european cities could work...but smaller ones i doubt...I mean FCO,VIE,WAW,MAD,BCN etc ok but what are the chances of Cluj-AUH or KTW and later on other small cities? Even if op by an A320....

There's loads of Eastern Europeans in the UAE, mainly Dubai but also Abu Dhabi. Those alone would probably make up the bulk of bums on seats to Romania, Ukraine, etc., and any tourists going would be icing on the cake.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:17 am

marcogr12 wrote:
I am still skeptical about Wizzair's new venture taking into account the fact that AUH does not have the popularity among the western world that Dubai does...How are these 239seat-planes going to be filled during low season? Not to mention that the coronavirus story will drag on till next summer...And they have another 4 A321s coming in the next months with more destinations to be announced.... Linking AUH to major european cities could work...but smaller ones i doubt...I mean FCO,VIE,WAW,MAD,BCN etc ok but what are the chances of Cluj-AUH or KTW and later on other small cities? Even if op by an A320....


I think they got a really good deal from AUH to open a base there meaning their costs are low. I think this was extremely important for them because average sector lengths they operate are much higher than in other bases. I mean, I don't think they can operate more than two rotations a day. For a third they'd probably need a regional destination and I don't know how happy the Emirate would be as they would directly attack Etihad. For Wizz Air AUH is probably what BTS is to VIE, a more affordable (cheaper) alternative. There are many eastern Europeans living in Dubai and for them Wizz Air might be the perfect opportunity to visit home more often, especially in summer. flydubai, Emirates and Etihad are not cheap when it comes to O&D tickets, flying from Dubai to Larnaca or from Abu Dhabi to Belgrade can cost you €500.
 
Toinou
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:21 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:22 am

Drucocu wrote:
I know many people who prefer manufacturing their own self connections with the backup of a proper travel insurance rather than paying €100 more for a legacy airline with connection. And that's just within Europe.

Does a travel insurance work in case of self-connection?
 
marcogr12
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:05 am

Jazeera flies KWI-LGW with a 320Neo, about 6hrs flight..I think a possible AUH-LGW/LTN could be done without payload restrictions,otherwise they will have to wait for LR version.. And since they are after LGW slots i believe it could be much more profitable to fly LGW than LTN..Apart from the LHR route, there are no flights to other London airports unlike Doha,Dubai
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..
 
Drucocu
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:17 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:17 pm

Toinou wrote:
Drucocu wrote:
I know many people who prefer manufacturing their own self connections with the backup of a proper travel insurance rather than paying €100 more for a legacy airline with connection. And that's just within Europe.

Does a travel insurance work in case of self-connection?

I don't think mine does. There are websites that do cover this kind of insurance like kiwi.com, but I have never tried it myself. Usually I make sure I can afford a last minute ticket home in case of cancellations. And when flying on a EU carrier it doesn't bother me that much because I know the EU261 refund is usually higher than the price of my flight home.
 
Blerg
Topic Author
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:51 am

I wonder if soon enough we might see them launch India flights. Anyone knows how many seats AUH has to India? I don't think they maxed out their share of the bilateral, especially not with the EY cuts a while back.
 
airhansa
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:18 pm

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:24 am

India is surely one of those markets where you could connect directly between India and Europe on a new low cost carrier, saving one section of the trip? The labor costs in India are far cheaper and ATH to DEL is around 5000 km which is under the range of A320.
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4239
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:49 am

Drucocu wrote:
Toinou wrote:
Does a travel insurance work in case of self-connection?

I don't think mine does. There are websites that do cover this kind of insurance like kiwi.com, but I have never tried it myself. Usually I make sure I can afford a last minute ticket home in case of cancellations. And when flying on a EU carrier it doesn't bother me that much because I know the EU261 refund is usually higher than the price of my flight home.


Some travel insurances do cover self-connections, but not all of them. It also depends on how much time you got scheduled between the two flights.

The disadvantage of sites like Kiwi is that they put a considerable fee on top of the individual fares, basically taking away the advantage of a self-connection. I've seen cases where the self-connection itself (without Kiwi) was the cheapest option, but if you tried to book that same self-connection through Kiwi they suddenly were more expensive than a through-ticket.

Kiwi is great for searching, but not for booking. After you found a nice opportunity through Kiwi, you should look up the flights that Kiwi found for you and book them individually. It saves you a considerable amount of money.

By the way. somehow the flights offered by Wizzair Abu Dhabi cannot be found through SkyScanner. For example if you search for a one-way from Larnaca to Abu Dhabi on Tuesday 13th October SkyScanner finds the best opportunity to be Aegean through Athens for €274. Meanwhile Wizzair offers a direct flight for €30, but SkyScanner doesn't find it.
 
myki
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:48 am

airhansa wrote:
India is surely one of those markets where you could connect directly between India and Europe on a new low cost carrier, saving one section of the trip? The labor costs in India are far cheaper and ATH to DEL is around 5000 km which is under the range of A320.

I could see both scenarios happening. Get to India non-stop out of a European base, but also out of AUH as the India-UAE market is huge, and AUH is crying out of a connection to GOI. It was previously offered by 9W before they shut up shop and even then was only seasonal for a month or so. Is there a market for other destinations too? JAI? ATQ? PNQ? Guess it all comes down the bilaterals and how much is left.
 
Rossiya747
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:56 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:07 pm

Will they be going further east? ie India, SE Asia, China
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI LV/IB VY AL
 
flyfresno
Posts: 1013
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:04 pm

Surprised no TBS...that's an emerging destination that I would think would be popular in addition to KUT...
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3346
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:48 am

It’s very hard to work out the decisions being taken currently in Abu Dhabi.

Etihad has been struggling, looking to find its ideal operating position again after a few years of pain. They start a JV with Air Arabia and set a course to hopefully assist broaden its reach.

In comes this Wizz Air subsidiary, in partnership with ADQ, a state owned investment company of Abu Dhabi. Seems a significant curveball really in terms of how the roadmap appeared to be going. Was a nice way of taking away business from DWC but how it actually works in the bigger scheme of things is not so clear.

How they all find their place, especially with the size of operation that Wizz Is talking about, is hard to see at this point in time.

Certainly keeps one on their toes trying to work out logical reasoning, but best of luck to all parties.
 
Toinou
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:21 am

Re: Wizz Air Abu Dhabi announces first destinations from AUH base

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:08 am

What you said is very interesting. I'm not sure either how this fills in the larger plan.
Maybe we shouldn't think too much in terms of "larger plan". In Abu Dhabi too, the people planing all may not all agree on the way to go. Probably they had already been destabilized by what happened to Etihad and the current crisis may have been the nail in the coffin to some kind of unanimity in the direction to go.

A personal hypothesis: larger carriers, like EY or EK, always have been more about connecting people than bringing people in UAE. I know that, the extant of both parts varied but because of many variables, including competition, ticket prices were frequently not that cheap if you were not connecting in Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Maybe the local power (or some part of it at least) thought that having instruments making sure that access to the UAE was available and cheaper was a solution to improve some aspects of the economy (probably tourism but who knows what they have in mind).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos