Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BN747
Topic Author

A Fitting Tribute to one of the Greatest Airlines Ever - TWA

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:15 pm

Memories burned in my mind from my early age hooked me into airlines and TWA was the first BIG ride and made a lifelong impression although the airline no longer lives.

I know I am not alone in having experienced this great airline. Although I cannot profit from this video (sound track issues) it's more important to me to help rekindle the millions of others who carry TWA images that left a mark, a pleasurable memory from just watching them as a spotter, to catching a flight or more, working for them and flying for them.

It was a carrier, where you had to be there.

Especially in it's apex of performance, the Golden Age of jet travel.

In the 1960s, jet travel was new to everyone on the planet and it got got better in the 1970s and peaked in the 1980s.

But again, to know it you had to be there.

The memories are so intact, I remember flights with certain meals, like my 1st caviar experience (yuck) and the coldest beer ever (I quite drinking 30 years ago) but I still remember that beer!

I remember the awesome flights, the super kind staffing across the planet and the sound of the engines. But this is a deserved treatment for a great airline. It's long, 3 parts for each livery, the Star Stream, red ribbon livery, the Twin Stripe Hollow Titles/Solid Titles design and the finally what I called their Ambassador Livery (no official name exist - but someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
Each over 1 hour in length. The length is due to want show the fleet in service at as many locations as possible Domestic and International. That's a lot of airplanes activity.

But the memories are worth the effort to put forth and help re-light the memories of those who were there. I'll chime in with my personal experience as I hope some of you will, but I can say now, no bigger or better tribute to TWA will come our way. I plan to do similar projects because I have flown nearly all early US carriers except Mohawk, Northeast, Allegheny and few others ..but I want to do my best to recall all of the majors in a fitting tribute that lets them live again.

Part 1 - The Star Stream Livery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdqTxoq8X94

Part 2 - The Twin Stripe Livery (Hollow & Solid Titles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKVUINSv3uk

Part 3 - The Ambassador Livery (my term for it, I'm open to corrections if anyone knows)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpm3InAJb1A
The last segment provides really hard a look of the great TWA employees toward the end. After all they made it all possible.

I hope they jog some memories!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

richiemo

Re: A Fitting Tribute to one of the Greatest Airlines Ever - TWA

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:48 pm

Fantastic!!! Thx for posting Those were the days, my friend. Makes me sad. I remember the days of plane spotting where we had so many airlines and so many different planes. Three-holers especially. There was one scene in the second video, the double stripes, that showed a busy taxi-way full of TWA and United 727s. Don't see anything like that anymore. Sigh.

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:51 pm

Love it! Can't wait to sit down and watch all parts on the big screen at home tonight. Thanks for posting.

Ryanair01

Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:59 pm

Thank you this is wonderful!

American 767

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Nice videos. Thank you for posting. Always a pleasure to look at airline videos from the past.

BN747 wrote:
BN747

That one is called the Tylenol livery.
Ben Soriano

tmu101

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:47 am

TWA was my first flight ever - EWR-LAX on a 707 back in 1982. :cloudnine: also the airline to host my first and only L1011 ride - EWR-STL in 1993. I do miss them and wish they were still around.

IMHO the last livery of theirs (right before AA merger) was one of the most BEAUTIFUL to ever grace the skies. :hyper:

These were great - thanks for posting! :D

AY104

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:13 am

Absolutely amazing first video, now I can look forward to the 2nd and 3rd. Funny thing, even though I never got to fly on TWA, I always understood there was a great fondness for the airline. Many of my friends flew with them, and all good things to say. I worked for Finnair, Western, and Delta over 25 years with the airlines, and I am sorry I missed flying on TWA. I was very sad for everyone at TWA when it went out of business. Thank you so much for these most excellent videos, absolutely wonderful footage in them, mesmerizing in fact. I really look forward to viewing the next two! Cheers, Carl
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

strfyr51

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:33 am

tmu101 wrote:
TWA was my first flight ever - EWR-LAX on a 707 back in 1982. :cloudnine: also the airline to host my first and only L1011 ride - EWR-STL in 1993. I do miss them and wish they were still around.

IMHO the last livery of theirs (right before AA merger) was one of the most BEAUTIFUL to ever grace the skies. :hyper:

I only knew a little about TWA as an airline but I learned a LOT about their people who came to United in SFO after their demise. Those guys were sharp, extremely GOOD troubleshooters and were very experienced in doing what they did. It pained me to hear that they were not treated well at American because we treasured them while at United.
My biggest complaint with them were the Maintenance foremen that came to United because they had a Do or DIE attitude and some of them cut corners on last minute snags rather than take a delay to fix it right. even in CH-11 we prided ourselves in fixing our airplanes, and if it was Broke? It was Broke! It got fixed and fixed right. We might have had to scrimp on cosmetic stuff but mechanically? Our airplanes and mechanical reliability never wavered. in maintenance control we did fleet reviews every night and when we ran across a chronic item? We addressed it right then and there. It's easier to address it ASAP than let it linger to bite you in the Butt during the operating day.
That's why then and Now the maintenance controllers have the Final Authority for Airworthiness,, I was never worried about any management person telling me what I had to sign off. But I was afraid of the FAA PMI and I had some that would and could spit Nails! He's retired now but the SFO ACDO office who had a Principal Maintenance inspector, Barry Bassey. . Mr. Bassey told all the new Maintenance Controllers. "If you can't or won't make the hard calls and I find out about it? My wrath will be to take your License and fine you, starting at $10K and if I can? Lock you UP"!! So No, Be afraid of some Ops boss?? YGBKM! we had s few ex TWA types in Maint control and they were as mean as it came!
so working with them? I learned a LOT because they KNEW a LOT! When they made Lead Mechanic at the terminal? I didn't even have to check on them. I dropped by for coffee during the shift and that was about it. as I was a relief foreman? When I worked the terminal? My day was pretty easy. because my boss was the meanest SOB I ever MET much less worked for.

tw

CFM565A1

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:40 am

:smile: The history buff in me loves this and also misses this great airline!
C172-M/N/P/R/S , PA-28-180, P2006T, PA-34-200T, B1900D, DH8A/C ERJ-145, CRJ-100/200, DH8D, CRJ-700/705/900, E-175/190, A319/320/321, 737-200/300/400/600/700/800/900ER/M8, MD-82/83, 757-200/300, 767-300, A330-300, 787-9, 777-300ER, F28-4000.

twaconnie

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:37 am

Can't believe there gone 20 years already, now part of AA history. Flew many times with them and was lucky enough to fly every type from connie to L-1011.

mbmbos

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 am

this is amazing. Than you!
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

southwest1675

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:00 pm

I bet they’d be all Airbus if they were around today.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

klm617

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:19 pm

the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

halrudy

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:33 pm

Great videos as I also appreciate seeing inside the terminals. We dont see as many videos of inside terminals as we do of the exteriors and its so cool to see how things were back in the day vs today, some good but hate seeing many terminals today look the same.

hohd

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:59 pm

My first flight was PA and my second flight was TWA. Both don't exist now, but those memories are still intact.

qf789

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:20 pm

delete
Forum Moderator

Cointrin330

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:43 pm

This is amazing. Why does it need to be deleted (Q to Moderator)? Thanks for sharing all these. Phenomenal.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Excellent videos - thank you for sharing!

strfyr51, I'm sure you ran into Joe Patroni over the years, even if he didn't look like George Kennedy.

That TWA survived as long as it did with Carl Icahn sucking it dry like a cancerous leech is a testament to its people, who always carried on as if it were still 1974, and their business model was still "service first". Yes, there were other circumstances that led to its demise as well; however, to the last day TWA employees did their jobs with great dignity.

I was fortunate to fly them three times in my life, the first as an eight-year old boy, flying with my family in January, 1975, from a brand-new MCI airport to LAX on a 707. My previous segments, BFL-LAX on a UA 727-100, LAX-DFW on an AA 727-200, DFW-FSM and FSM-MCI via Fayetteville Drake Field and Joplin on a Frontier CV-580, were all great, and I enjoyed them immensely. But TWA? Flight attendants with white gloves handing ME a menu! Such luxury! This airline really was a step above all the others.

Flash forward to August, 1987: I was determined that, on my first trip to New York City I would fly on a 747 to JFK, be it Pan Am or TWA. Well, TWA was significantly cheaper, so we flew them. No more white gloves, definitely; however, the service was outstanding. Wish I had gotten the registry number so I could know if it was a -100 or a -200 model 747. But I did get to see the TWA terminal in use at JFK.

My last time was, unfortunately, to accompany a family member of a flight 800 victim back to our home city. My friend had, in her words, "somehow managed to get on a plane two days later", but stated flat out she needed someone to get her back home. I volunteered, and TWA comped my ticket. LAX-STL-TPA on an L1011 and MD80, and returned on an MD80 and a 767-200.

Flying immediately after a tragedy was tough for everyone, myself included; however, I can't imagine how it must have been to be flying after such a loss to an airline, and more so when the cause isn't known. But every single employee held their heads up and carried on, as I'm sure their colleagues would have wanted. The TWA resolve: proof that employees DO matter.

I hoped and prayed that TWA could outlive that sadistic Karabu agreement - as did either Airways or Airliners magazine, who did an article about this pre-9/11, hoping for the same thing - but alas, it didn't. To this day, I always have more "what-if's" about TWA than any other lost airline:

* What if St Louis had been a more premium-heavy market, like the similarly-sized MSP market?
* What if TWA had pioneered a global alliance before others, instead of being left-out almost entirely?
* What if someone or some group other than Carl Icahn or Frank Lorenzo had bought the airline?
* What it TWA shed its oversized planes in the early 1980's to focus on ETOPS and smaller transatlantic operations?

Thanks again for the stroll down memory lane!

ltbewr

Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:37 pm

I used TWA several times in the 1980's. including on a 747 LHR-JFK, EWR-STL-PHX-STL-EWR (L-1011 to PHX, L-1011 PHX-STL, then brand new MD-80 series STL-EWR), PBI-EWR (727), L-1011 - JFK-AMS-JFK and going through at JFK the now restored Saarinen terminal. Service was good on all flight. Chose them as cheapest fare or purchase by a 'bucket shop' reseller. I also remember the NYC - 5th Ave. ticket office, I walked by it often 1978 till closed when worked at a building on 5th Ave then.

Sadly, like too many airlines a combination of greedy investors, competition, fare price wars, high legacy labor costs, fuel price ups and downs, old and inefficient aircraft and tragedy (in particular TWA 800) led to their demise, taken over by AA in early 2001, the last TWA branded flight Dec. 1, 2001,

By the way, are there any ex-TWA aircraft still in use and if so by who ?

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:03 pm

I'd really like to thank all of you for the awesome compliments you've shared and that tells me this project was totally worth the time and sweat to put it together!

American 767 wrote:
Nice videos. Thank you for posting. Always a pleasure to look at airline videos from the past.

BN747 wrote:
BN747

That one is called the Tylenol livery.

I heard that one before but just couldn't roll with labeling it dubiously that way.

None the less, that's for the compliment!

AY104 wrote:
Absolutely amazing first video, now I can look forward to the 2nd and 3rd. Funny thing, even though I never got to fly on TWA, I always understood there was a great fondness for the airline. Many of my friends flew with them, and all good things to say. I worked for Finnair, Western, and Delta over 25 years with the airlines, and I am sorry I missed flying on TWA. I was very sad for everyone at TWA when it went out of business. Thank you so much for these most excellent videos, absolutely wonderful footage in them, mesmerizing in fact. I really look forward to viewing the next two! Cheers, Carl

That's touching Carl, I hold that very feeling about several missed opportunities with a handful of carriers and that is a stinging regretful feeling in knowing 'that you could have but you did not..'
But I don't think many knew that big legends would fall so quickly and so successively.

strfyr51 wrote:
tmu101 wrote:

I only knew a little about TWA as an airline but I learned a LOT about their people who came to United in SFO after their demise. Those guys were sharp, extremely GOOD troubleshooters and were very experienced in doing what they did. It pained me to hear that they were not treated well at American because we treasured them while at United.
My biggest complaint with them were the Maintenance foremen that came to United because they had a Do or DIE attitude and some of them cut corners on last minute snags rather than take a delay to fix it right. even in CH-11 we prided ourselves in fixing our airplanes, and if it was Broke? It was Broke! It got fixed and fixed right. We might have had to scrimp on cosmetic stuff but mechanically? Our airplanes and mechanical reliability never wavered. in maintenance control we did fleet reviews every night and when we ran across a chronic item? We addressed it right then and there. It's easier to address it ASAP than let it linger to bite you in the Butt during the operating day.
That's why then and Now the maintenance controllers have the Final Authority for Airworthiness,, I was never worried about any management person telling me what I had to sign off. But I was afraid of the FAA PMI and I had some that would and could spit Nails! He's retired now but the SFO ACDO office who had a Principal Maintenance inspector, Barry Bassey. . Mr. Bassey told all the new Maintenance Controllers. "If you can't or won't make the hard calls and I find out about it? My wrath will be to take your License and fine you, starting at $10K and if I can? Lock you UP"!! So No, Be afraid of some Ops boss?? YGBKM! we had s few ex TWA types in Maint control and they were as mean as it came!
so working with them? I learned a LOT because they KNEW a LOT! When they made Lead Mechanic at the terminal? I didn't even have to check on them. I dropped by for coffee during the shift and that was about it. as I was a relief foreman? When I worked the terminal? My day was pretty easy. because my boss was the meanest SOB I ever MET much less worked for.

tw

Now that Ops tale is truly insightful, I got hang for a spell at Terminal 3 (which they shared with Eastern) at LAX in the late '80s and got that same vibe from TWA ops people and saw how other carriers sort of marveled at the TWA 'attitude' in ramp world. I really done think I got it that strong from any other carrier where I was exposed to their relations among other competing operations outside of Bradley Terminal ops where things could from great to somewhat hostile between some parties and usually it was the carriers with minimal staffing or everything farmed out Mercury or one of the other service companies.

Thanks for sharing that insight, strfyr51!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

TYWoolman

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:16 pm

That twin-globe L-1011! TOO AWESOME. Old livery on a crisp new jet that catapulted it to more across the Atlantic in the 80s! Will continue to watch! Good work on these and shows your love for TWA and everything aviation! On a side note: I always had a route map fantasy going on with Northwest, Eastern and TWA merging.
Last edited by TYWoolman on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bricktop

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:18 pm

ltbewr wrote:

DL has a bunch of of B752s N7xxTW, which another website has as being TWA. They are still in use.
AA had a bunch of NxxxTW MD83s but they left recently.

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:06 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
That twin-globe L-1011! TOO AWESOME. Old livery on a crisp new jet that catapulted it to more across the Atlantic in the 80s! Will continue to watch! Good work on these and shows your love for TWA and everything aviation! On a side note: I always had a route map fantasy going on with Northwest, Eastern and TWA merging.

Thanks, TYWoolman! Yeah man, the aviation-plane love blood runs deep, I wish I could crank these out faster to cover the missing (but I will get them) carriers who deserve similar recognition.

But I was a 'route map fantasy artist too' whenever a pen and paper were handy. I really like drawing the 707 a lot, and anyone who tried it can tell you that Boeing nose cone was the hardest thing to nailed down! It was the same in trying pencil a 737, 727 as well.

But yeah, those route maps...ia habit that really sucked you into grasping geography like no teacher ever could.

BN747

Cody

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:33 pm

Miami????????? When??????

Cody

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:34 pm

Cody

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:36 pm

But amazing job on TWA!

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Cody wrote:

I know, I know...sorry for that huge delay!

I can now promise it'll be here Friday at the earliest and Monday at very latest!

Cody is inquiring about the Airport PAST: Miami project.

Cody, I promise..it will be very much worth the delay, you will NOT be disappointed!

..and thanks for the TWA nod!

BN747

TYWoolman

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:40 pm

BN747 wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

Thanks, TYWoolman! Yeah man, the aviation-plane love blood runs deep, I wish I could crank these out faster to cover the missing (but I will get them) carriers who deserve similar recognition.

But I was a 'route map fantasy artist too' whenever a pen and paper were handy. I really like drawing the 707 a lot, and anyone who tried it can tell you that Boeing nose cone was the hardest thing to nailed down! It was the same in trying pencil a 737, 727 as well.

But yeah, those route maps...ia habit that really sucked you into grasping geography like no teacher ever could.

BN747

Without a doubt, route maps have given me perspective of this world! The best teacher, correct! When going to diners as a kid I would flip over the place mat and draw route maps. I love route maps! And I love airline route cases and proposals!

mrcoffee

Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 pm

My Dad worked for TWA from 68 until retiring at American. Thanks for the video.

BUT...

1. On the 2nd one, you misspelled San Francisco.
2. You say on the MD80 page, they operated MD-93's. I think you meant 83's.

and mostly..

Did you credit anyone's videos you used? Especially since you put your name on the video?

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:30 pm

TYWoolman wrote:
BN747 wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

BN747

Without a doubt, route maps have given me perspective of this world! The best teacher, correct! When going to diners as a kid I would flip over the place mat and draw route maps. I love route maps! And I love airline route cases and proposals!

HAHA!! I did the same thing..and everyone just shook their heads. But I look at the head shakers now and ask which of you 'get Neil DeGrasse Tyson' now people? They draw pure blanks.

My favorite times of route map drawings came when the movers showed up and let me have all massive sheets white & brown paper I could handle leaving me to go nuts drawing imaginary airport layouts, the whole schemes of everything airline.

Then came time to move and mom tosses all my masterpieces! Which hurt for a moment...then the notion occurred that - you had it all memorized! And up-packing from the big move was dead ahead.

Then I got a camera!

Boy this age revealing...any Flight Sim groomed kids have no idea what we are carrying on about!
:scratchchin:
BN747

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:41 pm

mrcoffee wrote:
My Dad worked for TWA from 68 until retiring at American. Thanks for the video.

BUT...

1. On the 2nd one, you misspelled San Francisco.
2. You say on the MD80 page, they operated MD-93's. I think you meant 83's.

and mostly..

Did you credit anyone's videos you used? Especially since you put your name on the video?

OOOPs...thanks for the alert!

I think I can past a corrective layover for that (I hope!).

That happens when you are editing until 4 or 5am and you're sure all is in order!

..if you catch any additional similar errors , please do as you just did and let me know!

And yes, youtube clips of other shooters are in the lower left corner of their clips with usernames.

Thanks

BN747

Bhoy

Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Bricktop wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

DL has a bunch of of B752s N7xxTW, which another website has as being TWA. They are still in use.
AA had a bunch of NxxxTW MD83s but they left recently.

Yeah, American sold their 17 remaining ex-TWA 752s to Delta in 2005, as they were PW powered rather than legacy AA’s Rolls Royce fleet.

Delta has them as ships 6801-6817; they’re the only ones in the Delta fleet without overwing exits, but with a smaller door aft of the wing.

Chuska

Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:26 pm

Such a great Airline and so missed, especially the L-1011's in ABQ.
One thing that always baffled me is when TWA celebrated their 75th anniversary in 2000 claiming that they began in 1925. TWA was formed in 1930 by a merger of Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT) and only one route of Western Air Express (WAE), Los Angeles to Kansas City. TAT started in 1929 and WAE started in 1925 however WAE kept operating with their other routes, namely LA to SLC. (The LA to KC route didn't start until 1929). WAE, which later became Western Airlines, fully merged into Delta in 1987. Can anyone explain this better why TWA used Western's 1925 seniority? Seems like 1929 or 1930 would be more accurate.

klm617

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:51 pm

Last TWA flight out of Frankfurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWpdtJ_CSuQ
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

BN747
Topic Author

Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:59 am

klm617 wrote:

What a shame TWA had to depart Frankfurt with a 767 instead of leaving with a 747, the long time workhorse on that route.

I took one from FRA to JFK and got that rare 747 where the seat behind the nose was a lone isolated FC seat on the left and one on right side of the aisle.
It felt kind weird at first..but was unique.

BN747

global2

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:19 am

Great post, great videos--thank you! Fantastic 707 footage. During the 60's TWA 707's made countless cameo appearances in movies and TV shows. The Twin-Globe logo and arrowhead (Starstream) livery were iconic of the Jet Age. The way the end of the arrowhead design splits and the upper half is angled so it is perfectly aligned with the leading edge of the tail was genius.

I didn't actually get to fly on TWA until the early 90's from JFK to SFO, via STL. The flight attendants were veterans to be sure, but were very professional and polished. They didn't hide out in the galley after the initial service, but came around frequently offering water and soft drinks.

IFlyTWA

Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:50 am

Thank you for this wonderful post.

To see the memory of TWA kept alive almost two decades after its final flight is very touching.

Good work!
"To express the excitement of travel" - Eero Saarinen

cv990Coronado

Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30 am

Thanks for the excellent links they bring back memories of the time I worked for TWA in the early 70s. It was a very proud and excellent airline then, top class service all over the world.
SSC-707B727 737-741234SP757/762/3/772/WA300/10/319/2/1-342/3/6-880-DAM-VC10 TRD 111 Ju52-DC8/9/10/11-YS11-748-VCV DH4B L

TYWoolman

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:41 am

BN747 wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

HAHA!! I did the same thing..and everyone just shook their heads. But I look at the head shakers now and ask which of you 'get Neil DeGrasse Tyson' now people? They draw pure blanks.

My favorite times of route map drawings came when the movers showed up and let me have all massive sheets white & brown paper I could handle leaving me to go nuts drawing imaginary airport layouts, the whole schemes of everything airline.

Then came time to move and mom tosses all my masterpieces! Which hurt for a moment...then the notion occurred that - you had it all memorized! And up-packing from the big move was dead ahead.

Then I got a camera!

Boy this age revealing...any Flight Sim groomed kids have no idea what we are carrying on about!
BN747

I, too, made airport layout runways using rolls of brown paper for my small metal jets as well. Wish I knew like-minded brains back then! Glad this website exists!

BN747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:39 pm

global2 wrote:
Great post, great videos--thank you! Fantastic 707 footage. During the 60's TWA 707's made countless cameo appearances in movies and TV shows. The Twin-Globe logo and arrowhead (Starstream) livery were iconic of the Jet Age. The way the end of the arrowhead design splits and the upper half is angled so it is perfectly aligned with the leading edge of the tail was genius.

I didn't actually get to fly on TWA until the early 90's from JFK to SFO, via STL. The flight attendants were veterans to be sure, but were very professional and polished. They didn't hide out in the galley after the initial service, but came around frequently offering water and soft drinks.

Thank you for checking it out. I know the angst felt by people who missed out for whatever reason as I have my list of regrets, but when it comes to that period (70s -80s) there's just no period in aviation to can match that. It was a feeling 'everywhere' every time you got near an airport and was going somewhere.

In those days, you purposely booked a trip that made as many stops as possible because you just loved the plane ride (everything about it) and you want to see every airport you could - even the boondock airports.

A whole different perspective versus today.

IFlyTWA wrote:
Thank you for this wonderful post.

To see the memory of TWA kept alive almost two decades after its final flight is very touching.

Good work!

Now there's username that fits!
Thank you for the props!

cv990Coronado wrote:
Thanks for the excellent links they bring back memories of the time I worked for TWA in the early 70s. It was a very proud and excellent airline then, top class service all over the world.

Yes indeed and you are one of those who made it that way! If you're were apart of the JFK station crew, I hope you appear in employee segment in part 3. If not, it's cool...you already get the vibe I tried to express, because you were a part of it!

Thanks for your TWA participation and service!!!

TYWoolman wrote:
BN747 wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:

Then I got a camera!

BN747

I, too, made airport layout runways using rolls of brown paper for my small metal jets as well. Wish I knew like-minded brains back then! Glad this website exists!

Thanks TYWoolman, I know what you mean, I was super lucky in having two childhood friends who were like-minded and have remained pals to this day. One who was an excellent photographer and such a young age..got away from us and went on a different path, that guy (as a kid) has (today 'had') a box of photos hidden away somewhere that would drive photo-fetished insane! Many efforts to locate him have met dead ends. I hope he's well.

Thanks for your support!

BN747

klm617

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:42 pm

BN747 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

What a shame TWA had to depart Frankfurt with a 767 instead of leaving with a 747, the long time workhorse on that route.

I took one from FRA to JFK and got that rare 747 where the seat behind the nose was a lone isolated FC seat on the left and one on right side of the aisle.
It felt kind weird at first..but was unique.

BN747

I have flown on TWA 740 and 741 JFK-FRA-JFK on a 747-131 as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos