Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lesfalls
Topic Author

Eastern Airlines announces flights to Los Cabos

Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:38 pm

The airline from August 29th will be starting flights to Los Cabos 2X weekly from JFK.

JFK 10:00- SJD 13:45 36
SJD 15:30- JFK 23:00 36

Forbes and other media have seemed to dub this news as a big thing:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/ ... a869cf32a1
https://goeasternair.com/

In addition the airline currently has a ton of Latin American relief flights bookable via its website including EZE.

Your thoughts?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

lesfalls
Topic Author

Re: Eastern Airlines announces flights to Los Cabos

Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:41 pm

Locations-July2020-1024x1024.jpg

In addition it seems that they are also adding the following destinations too viewable in the following page: https://goeasternair.com/destinations/
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

MIflyer12

Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:59 pm

lesfalls wrote:
Forbes and other media have seemed to dub this news as a big thing:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/ ... a869cf32a1
https://goeasternair.com/

Huh? There's a one-sentence reference to Eastern, and a bunch of extended blather about high-end resorts. It's not like people in NYC are unfamiliar with Los Cabos, or lack non-stop options to much of the Caribbean.

klm617

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:03 am

So I'm assuming JFK-SAN is now off the table.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

MO11

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:03 am

klm617 wrote:

Unrelated. Eastern has authority to operate scheduled flights between the US and Mexico. It does not have authority to operate domestic scheduled flights. JFK-SAN was the example in its application for such service, and does not necessarily put it "on the table".

TWA902fly

Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:16 am

MO11 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Unrelated. Eastern has authority to operate scheduled flights between the US and Mexico. It does not have authority to operate domestic scheduled flights. JFK-SAN was the example in its application for such service, and does not necessarily put it "on the table".

Really? A US certificate holder (FAA AOC 2DYA074Q) can operate international flights but not be authorized to operate domestic flights? How does that work? Seems like that goes against the purpose of deregulation, no? I'm curious to hear about this situation.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

MAH4546

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:28 am

The Latin flights are mostly repatriation charters. Eastern is however flying scheduled from Miami (and JFK) to Guayaquil.
a.

asuflyer

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:07 pm

I wonder if Eastern got subsidies from some resorts there. UA has flown EWR-SJD weekly in the past. I believe DL had JFK-SJD as a seasonal flight on and off for a few years. SJD as a destination is not very well known of in the NYC area, and those who have been are high end travellers, who would be reluctant to fly on Eastern.

MO11

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:06 pm

TWA902fly wrote:
MO11 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Really? A US certificate holder (FAA AOC 2DYA074Q) can operate international flights but not be authorized to operate domestic flights? How does that work? Seems like that goes against the purpose of deregulation, no? I'm curious to hear about this situation.

'902

That's the FAA certificate. Eastern is licensed by the FAA as a Domestic and Flag carrier (there no AOCs in the US). But I'm referring to the DOT certificate (used to be CAB certificate), which is economic authority (different set of rules). Dynamic (now Eastern) did have domestic scheduled authority at one time, but let its authority lapse so it had to reapply. It can fly domestic charters. It does have DOT authority to operate foreign scheduled service, either by certificate or exemption.

phllax

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:46 pm

I wonder how much of this is a pre-emptive strike against B6, who more than likely will be starting SJD from LAX and JFK within the year. UA does operate from EWR, but weekly.

argentinevol98

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:01 pm

phllax wrote:
I wonder how much of this is a pre-emptive strike against B6, who more than likely will be starting SJD from LAX and JFK within the year. UA does operate from EWR, but weekly.

Well, in the case that it is it would seem odd to me. Eastern doesn't stand a chance in head to head competition with B6 or frankly basically anyone at all. It would seem foolish to take an action that indicates that they are "taking on" any established carrier. I mean, I even see them having little to no chance taking on someone like SY (obviously that doesn't apply to this route). B6 (and UA for that matter) have nothing to worry about with regards to any preemptive strikes from Eastern. Eastern needs to get some 737NG or A320CEO instead of flying around ancient 767s if they want to compete with anyone.
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos