Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eugdjinn
Topic Author

Who holds the Trans States Airlines certificate now?

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:46 pm

If indeed United is gradually pulling the plug on ExpressJet (who for now is the operator of 50 seaters in IAH for them), it raises the stakes, and the value of that certificate. Without a severe pilot crunch, and with the possible financial support (however hidden) of UA, or other investors, surely a wise and knowledgeable team could put together a replacement airline to operate the United owned E145 LR and XR fleet, as a competitor to Commutair.

Versus ExpressJet a new player could bring: A lean HQ, sized to an airline of under 100 aircraft, zero year seniority pilots, flight attendants and mechanics, and a great deal less entrenched animosity masquerading as a 'proud history.'

Clearly, there are aircraft available, people who will find themselves available and I just wonder if there's a puppet master arranging to make use of that certificate.

Varsity1

Re: Who holds the Trans States Airlines certificate now?

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Still owned by Hulas Kanodia..
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

toga998

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:54 pm

The EV operation is one of UA's biggest, and their demise would leave quite the gap in their network. Is this "new player" rumor showing any truth in the midst of all that's going on? Interesting times 2020 has had and will continue to have for us...

n7371f

Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:38 am

LOL. And Rick Leach's stache.

Varsity1 wrote:
Still owned by Hulas Kanodia..

eugdjinn
Topic Author

Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:54 am

toga998 wrote:
The EV operation is one of UA's biggest, and their demise would leave quite the gap in their network.

Actually, right now they are operating maybe 25 aircraft, and none of those are flying all that hard. WARN notices were sent to everyone at the company, and today, to add insult to injury, United notified all employees that travel fees must be paid in advance and cannot be payroll deducted. EWR, CLE and TYS bases are or are about to be closed, leaving only ORD and IAH. At the moment, Commutair is bigger it appears. Just like the end of the DL and AA contracts, and the last of the CRJ200s, rumors suggest a drop to 10 planes, then gradual wind down.

To me, it leaves really only one hole in the network, IAH will be without a 50 seat operator. And there are no shortage of markets from IAH that aren't going to grow into larger airplanes, places like Tyler, Longview, etc.

It wouldn't be hard for OO to suddenly have 10-25 CRJ200s appear in IAH, just surprising. Meantime, EV has been flying more and more of 145LR and 145XRs to IGM for storage, I would assume under orders from Willis Tower.

burnsie28

Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:29 am

Breeze bought the Compass (owned by Trans States) AOC.

flight152

Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:30 am

eugdjinn wrote:
toga998 wrote:
The EV operation is one of UA's biggest, and their demise would leave quite the gap in their network.

Actually, right now they are operating maybe 25 aircraft, and none of those are flying all that hard. WARN notices were sent to everyone at the company, and today, to add insult to injury, United notified all employees that travel fees must be paid in advance and cannot be payroll deducted. EWR, CLE and TYS bases are or are about to be closed, leaving only ORD and IAH. At the moment, Commutair is bigger it appears. Just like the end of the DL and AA contracts, and the last of the CRJ200s, rumors suggest a drop to 10 planes, then gradual wind down.

To me, it leaves really only one hole in the network, IAH will be without a 50 seat operator. And there are no shortage of markets from IAH that aren't going to grow into larger airplanes, places like Tyler, Longview, etc.

It wouldn't be hard for OO to suddenly have 10-25 CRJ200s appear in IAH, just surprising. Meantime, EV has been flying more and more of 145LR and 145XRs to IGM for storage, I would assume under orders from Willis Tower.

United hasn’t served Tyler and Longview for quite some time.

strfyr51

Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:52 am

well? What will be the outcome of trans States demise on the UAX network? If United is talking about Pilot Layoffs? Then they could be flying all of these parked airplanes lin the interim if they're short on lift.in the future. There are people at United who could run a UAX operation and still keep working For United in the interim. Especially? If they're going to have to work anyway. They may have to work for Less, But? Some oney is better than NO money. I cut my teeth in the regionals. The work was Fast Paced? But sometimes actually Fun. . And? where would you find Better people? No doubt who and what they are.. Since the day will eventually come when United will have to bring all of UAX ib House anyway? They could set up a UAXops control Center in the old Elk Grove facility as I'll be there's PLENTY of room in the old Main Building off of Algonquin Then? United would know where EVERY plane is or Ain't? And Every Dime Made or Spent! I would get to talking with ALPA right away and AFA as well as the IBOT and IAM. IN the end? You would have Readily Trained Managers, Readily trained Pilots, Mechanicsm Flight attendants, Operation managers, Dispatchers ETC. If I can see it? It can't be that HARD to see!

n7371f

Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:44 am

hasn't been approved...and predicated on DOT/FAA quick approval.

burnsie28 wrote:
Breeze bought the Compass (owned by Trans States) AOC.

FlyingElvii

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:15 am

eugdjinn wrote:
If indeed United is gradually pulling the plug on ExpressJet (who for now is the operator of 50 seaters in IAH for them), it raises the stakes, and the value of that certificate. Without a severe pilot crunch, and with the possible financial support (however hidden) of UA, or other investors, surely a wise and knowledgeable team could put together a replacement airline to operate the United owned E145 LR and XR fleet, as a competitor to Commutair.

Versus ExpressJet a new player could bring: A lean HQ, sized to an airline of under 100 aircraft, zero year seniority pilots, flight attendants and mechanics, and a great deal less entrenched animosity masquerading as a 'proud history.'

Clearly, there are aircraft available, people who will find themselves available and I just wonder if there's a puppet master arranging to make use of that certificate.

We are 9 months away from the 12-month look back in UAL’s Pilot contracts. Short of bankruptcy, that means A BUNCH of regional flying has to go, and it is easier to justify it starting in October.

Simply postulating, it would be my best educated guess that the 50 seaters are in for brutal cuts. With the 700’s to follow. The 175’s are safe for now, although the block hours will get slashed. They are System flexible, and popular with the pax. I imagine Skywest will still keep some 200’s around In UA colors for the at-risk, sub, and charter work, now that they have flex in the pilot schedules. In fact, there could be even more opportunities for that kind of flying now.

FlyingElvii

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:23 am

eugdjinn wrote:
toga998 wrote:

Funny you should say that.
Flight aware shows to more Expressjet 145’s due to arrive in Kingman Thursday afternoon.

The 200’s still on Skywest Property are paid For, I believe, which makes them relatively dirt cheap to operate as a low cycle operation.

usdcaguy

Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:40 am

Will be very intending indeed to see whether UA will keep the E145s into the future. Many other carriers have stopped using them or cut back on them so severely that they‘re only important for UA. It’s clear what OO wants. By closing EV, they get out of paying union wages. The regional business has always been a race to the bottom. Really wish the EV folks lots of luck.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:33 am

usdcaguy wrote:
Will be very intending indeed to see whether UA will keep the E145s into the future. Many other carriers have stopped using them or cut back on them so severely that they‘re only important for UA. It’s clear what OO wants. By closing EV, they get out of paying union wages. The regional business has always been a race to the bottom. Really wish the EV folks lots of luck.

OO does not own EV anymore. EV is owned by a United through a holding company.

DiamondFlyer

Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:55 pm

MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:

OO does not own EV anymore. EV is owned by a United through a holding company.

Partially owned by a UA holding company. That said, OO did the best they could to scavenge the best parts of ASA & XJT, and left the rest for scrap.
From my cold, dead hands

IAH901RT

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:19 am

C5 will probably be the E145 player for UA. They have the former VP of EWR as their CEO now and I would guess that their pay scale is much less than EV.

dstblj52

Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:24 am

IAH901RT wrote:
C5 will probably be the E145 player for UA. They have the former VP of EWR as their CEO now and I would guess that their pay scale is much less than EV.

Their pay scale is lower and they have a much more junior workforce vs expressjet who has an average seniority among their captains of 18 years, which puts them in a bad way when it gets determined who gets cut. The reason flow is such an advantage to the AA WO is that removes the most expensive part of the workforce consistently preventing the build-up of people with lots of years of service and the pay and benefits to match.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos