Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jomar777

Re: Aeroflot Group Makes a Big Announcement and Shift In Their Strategy

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:15 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
Jomar777 wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
2 cents? S7 has an opportunity to grab more domestic business travel. Investing in more connections across the continent and a better international business network would help them take on Aeroflot even more. (Heck, if they're really looking to grow, they could buy Ural Airlines...assuming that COVID leaves either one standing/with money)

Only that S7 already has Globus Airlines which even flies for them on the DOM-LED route for example... They are following the same suit. Also, in future, it will be very easy for Aeroflot to review the route plan, "promoting" this or that route from Pobeda/Rossiya to mainline if they so wish...

Globus is gone as of late last year, meged into S7 proper. Also provided very similar levels to mainline S7. You are right that they can always switch. If for example, PEE gets a rise in business/$$$ traffic or they discover new resources out in some formerly poor Siberian city, they could always switch between the two.
It would be interesting to see if this experiment sticks.

Thanks for the info. I did not know Globus has gone, Seems like just after I flew with them LED - DME last year... You are spot on on how do they see their network. It is best to see it as one single airline with different "brands" - much more tighter than Lufthansa, for example, where there's still some level of independence.

Both Pobeda and Rossiya might follow the same path of Globus and be merged into Aeroflot in future quite easily. I guess Rossiya is the prime candidate since it is losing their International presence...

Luftymatt

Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:27 pm

Toinou wrote:
mxaxai wrote:
The SSJ are used to serve various smaller airports in central and eastern Europe, these will suffer from the change to Rossyia. O&D traffic originating at the destinations served by Pobeda will also be less compared to Aeroflot service.

Why would that happen? Because of lowest brand recognition?
Is it really going to be a problem considering those flights will most probably be code-shared and, as such, be sold as "Aeroflot by Rossiya"?

Exactly. There's a lot of diluting of products in the airline world. AF tried it with Joon, didn't last long.

Vio

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:01 pm

Aeroflot777 wrote:
Vio wrote:
That's interesting. Boy, I'd love for the Russians to remove tourist visa requirements for up to 30 days... I always wanted to go to Russia and visit, but the hassle of going through obtaining a VISA is not worth it. I understand that they need to reciprocate with other countries requiring visas for Russian citizens, but in the end, it hurts the tourism in Russia.

St. Petersburg has been “visa free” (quick online application) for EU for quite some time now, and not just for cruise passengers. IIRC for travel up to 7 days.

Moscow and the rest of the country was set to follow Jan. 1st, 2021. We’ll see if this date holds amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. From stuff I’ve been reading, the St. Petersburg beta test has been quite successful. This will be a game changer for EU travelers, especially for extended weekend trips. I imagine more competition on MOW/LED from EU once this get’s 100% implemented.

That's really good to know (about, Moscow being potentially "visa free"). I'm actually really looking forward to visiting Russia.

bluefltspecial

Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:48 am

seansasLCY wrote:
workhorse wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:
The already regularly use A330s to LHR so I guess this will be expanded.

True, but I think I haven't seen a 330 in LHR since a while (even before the pandemic). And the last SU widebody in CDG was an A310, 20 years ago. On the other hand, pre-Covid they had something like 4 or 5 32S a day. Will they replace them with one or two 330s? Premium traffic likes frequency.

They have been using them during recent weeks. Today’s flight is a 777-300ER. Over the past weeks flights have been operated by 777, A333, A321 and A320.

Do not forget, pre-covid, Aeroflot had been operating a daily A330 SVO-AMS. I remember the first time I saw it in AMS.

JerseyFlyer

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:25 pm

Aeroflot to become Airbus-only by 2028, including 80 A35x and 94 A32x.

I wonder if they will be able get hold of any (cheap) ntus or maybe a whole fleet from Etihad?

http://www.rusaviainsider.com/aeroflot- ... raft-only/

Polot

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:18 pm

That would be quite the international expansion (considering also that it says Rossiya will also be operating 777). I’ll believe it when I see it.

Angelovo

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:50 pm

Polot wrote:
That would be quite the international expansion (considering also that it says Rossiya will also be operating 777). I’ll believe it when I see it.

Rossiya operates presently 10 777. 5x 77W and 5x 773 (773 are avg. 21,4 years) and they have 9 744 (5 active, avg 20,5 years). Eventually getting Aeroflot’s 77W (19 active + 3 on order, avg 5,2 years) makes actually sense. They will use them on the flights to Far East Russia, Russian Black Sea destinations and popular Mediterranean and Asian holiday destinations.

The question is, where will Aeroflot fly the 80 A350 to and double the international passengers until 2028.

MrPeanut

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:53 pm

In the US, an airline within an airline never works. Song, Continental Lite, Shuttle by United, etc. failed. Perhaps the environment outside of the US is more conducive to that type of structure.

Polot

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:02 pm

Angelovo wrote:
Polot wrote:

Rossiya operates presently 10 777. 5x 77W and 5x 773 (773 are avg. 21,4 years) and they have 9 744 (5 active, avg 20,5 years). Eventually getting Aeroflot’s 77W (19 active + 3 on order, avg 5,2 years) makes actually sense. They will use them on the flights to Far East Russia, Russian Black Sea destinations and popular Mediterranean and Asian holiday destinations.

The question is, where will Aeroflot fly the 80 A350 to and double the international passengers until 2028.

Yes, Rossiya getting the 777s makes sense. What I meant with my comment is that Aeroflot is planning on operating 80 A350s on top of that, they are not replacing Rossiya’s widebody operations. Which means huge (unrealistic imo) growth.

Angelovo

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:32 am

Seems like Pobeda will move to an A321N fleet, 55-65 Mio passengers planned for 2028

http://www.rusaviainsider.com/russias-l ... d-a321neo/

The budget airline is slated to become Russia’s largest carrier by passenger numbers in two years and its 175-strong mixed fleet will be dominated by large Airbus narrow-bodies by 2028.

But according to a source close to Aeroflot Group, perhaps the most intriguing part of the plan is the group’s intention to gradually move its Pobeda subsidiary to a unified Airbus narrow-body fleet, whilst it has been relying solely on Boeing 737NG so far and has MAX on order.

However in 2023, all-Boeing fleet of 75 B737-800s and 20 B737 MAXs is to be mixed with initial batch of 11 Airbus A321neos. From that point the strategy would make a curve towards A321neos, and ultimately have 113 of them operated by Pobeda by 2028.

The rationale behind this is Pobeda’s intention to lower unit costs by using more 239-seat neos instead of 189-seat 737s. The Russian discounter follows the paths of the likes of Wizz Air and Air Asia, which are gradually shifting their fleets’ balance toward 220+ seat A321 airplanes, an insider explains.

Ty134A

Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:38 am

What I don’t get is, that out of MOW FV/DP operates from VKO and SU from SVO. I get the two separate airlines thing, but in the end, there is no way of transferring between SVO and VKO or DME for a matter of fact. So the prevent themselves from having much more transfer options. And yes I get it, most likely SVO would be too small. But that should be the focus. It’s like delta having two airports in Atlanta, operating one half on the one side of the city, and the other half on the complete opposite.

Angelovo

Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:43 am

Ty134A wrote:
What I don’t get is, that out of MOW FV/DP operates from VKO and SU from SVO. I get the two separate airlines thing, but in the end, there is no way of transferring between SVO and VKO or DME for a matter of fact. So the prevent themselves from having much more transfer options. And yes I get it, most likely SVO would be too small. But that should be the focus. It’s like delta having two airports in Atlanta, operating one half on the one side of the city, and the other half on the complete opposite.

Rossiya (FV) has moved all operations to SVO in the last couple of weeks. Only Pobeda remains at VKO and is anyhow targeting a different passenger group.

Blerg

Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:47 am

So basically Aeroflot and Pobeda will be slowly retiring Boeing planes?

VSMUT

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:27 am

Blerg wrote:
So basically Aeroflot and Pobeda will be slowly retiring Boeing planes?

Well the opening post says Rossiya will transition to an almost all-Russian fleet, so it's safe to say that Boeing is getting almost completely wiped out in the Aeroflot group.

I suppose they say almost, because they won't have a home-grown replacement for the 777-300ER until the CR929 comes to fruition.

Polot wrote:
Yes, Rossiya getting the 777s makes sense. What I meant with my comment is that Aeroflot is planning on operating 80 A350s on top of that, they are not replacing Rossiya’s widebody operations. Which means huge (unrealistic imo) growth.

We don't know if they are planning to keep the existing Rossiya long haul fleet though. It could be that they drop every other long hauler in favour of just the 22 ex-Aeroflot 777s, or if they are even taking all 22.

MrPeanut wrote:
In the US, an airline within an airline never works. Song, Continental Lite, Shuttle by United, etc. failed. Perhaps the environment outside of the US is more conducive to that type of structure.

Those all failed because they were half-hearted attempts at stifling the new low-cost competition. The cost base was still too high. It basically amounted to only cutting free meals and selling tickets cheaper. We had several similar failed attempts in Europe.
There are plenty of examples of it working out. A strategy similar to this can be seen at Singapore Airlines. Silk Air does the regional flying (what Rossiya will be doing) and they also have Scoot as their low-cost carrier (Pobeda).

Angelovo

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:56 pm

We don't know if they are planning to keep the existing Rossiya long haul fleet though. It could be that they drop every other long hauler in favour of just the 22 ex-Aeroflot 777s, or if they are even taking all 22.

Now we know:

http://www.rusaviainsider.com/rossiya-a ... ght-years/

Finally, the strategic role of connecting key destinations in Russia’s Far East – Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Yuzhno-Sakhlinsk, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky and Magadan with country’s capital, would also be assigned to Rossiya. These very long routes can only be served non-stop utilizing Western-built long-haul widebodies. So the airline plans to operated 15 Boeing 777s, most of which Rossiya supposedly to inherit from Aeroflot.

Flflyer83

Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:04 pm

usdcaguy wrote:

The myths "Passengers won't know it's a step down from mainline" and "Nobody cares what kind of aircraft they're on" are generally false. Only the most ignorant among travelers do not know what's up, so I'd say the number is closer to 15-20%. Not negligible but clearly not the majority. People are much savvier than they used to be and will specifically look for the aircraft and carrier they want. In the Russian market, the use of regional jets is likely to downgrade the level of service to which people are accustomed, and in other CIS countries, they will be more likely to fly local carriers to the points in Russia they serve.

Have a source for your statistic or a link to the market research regarding 15-20% not knowing the regional partners are not the marketing carrier?

Blerg

Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:09 am

So long-haul domestic flying from Moscow will be dropped by Aeroflot? I suppose they will make these 777s less premium heavy.

VSMUT

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:29 am

What is the domestic demand out of St. Petersburg like? It seems like an inordinate amount of traffic from there is routed through Moscow. Reading that article, they are really ramping up operations there. It would undoubtedly help alleviate some of the congestion in the Moscow airports.

Blerg wrote:
So long-haul domestic flying from Moscow will be dropped by Aeroflot? I suppose they will make these 777s less premium heavy.

Not necessarily. Aeroflot will still serve the premium market (business, premium economy and connecting international passengers), so there could conceivably still be limited Aeroflot mainline service on domestic routes if the destination warrants it.

Angelovo

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:48 pm

Rossiya will acquire the 7 newest 744’s from British Airways (built between 12.98-04.99) as per aerotransport.org. Delivery scheduled for October/November 2020.

Presently Rossiya has 7 active 744 (6xGE + 1xPW).

Weird move, would have thought it should be easy to find used 777W’s on the market at reasonable price. Not as low as the 744 obviously, but with all other economics in favour of the 77W, it would have made more sense IMO.

Expansion? Replacement? By that number definitely not spare donors.

TC957

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:55 pm

Great news that BA has found a new home for at least some of the 744's. Wonder what Rossiya paid for them.

x1234

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:43 pm

I'm surprised too they picked the 744 instead of the 77W. EK has lots of 77W retirements (where Rossiya got its 77W from). Of course Aeroflot has more money and bought its 77W new from Boeing.

deltatrav

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:49 pm

OMAAT posted about refurbishment of 77Ws - anyone know timing? Any changes to economy cabin and/or premium?

afgeneral

Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 pm

I thought they were going to open a new focus city in KBP...

alan3

Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:33 pm

So....the holiday leisure travel business, in particular long haul (Thailand, Punta Cana, etc) stays with Rossiya or not? I couldn't quite understand in my translation of the article. I know in recent years a lot of that type of traffic has gone to Nordwind and Royal Flight

Saw a check-in queue for Rossiya high-density 744's in BKK a couple of years ago that literally wound around the entire length of the departure hall.

laca773

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:04 pm

Does SU have a strong dislike for their 738s & 77Ws? For them to transfer all these aircraft to their LCC/leisure, less premium markets seems like they look at the Boeing’s as the step-children (and only purchased as a political move?)?
I would think SU might have an interest in the B787-8s in particular as the A350 must be too large for certain long haul markets even in a premium heavy configuration?

Western727

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:46 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
laca773 wrote:
Does SU have a strong dislike for their 738s & 77Ws? For them to transfer all these aircraft to their LCC/leisure, less premium markets seems like they look at the Boeing’s as the step-children (and only purchased as a political move?)?
I would think SU might have an interest in the B787-8s in particular as the A350 must be too large for certain long haul markets even in a premium heavy configuration?

Getting rid of the Boeing aircraft is political.

This. I see it as a Cold War 2.0 move.

VSMUT

Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:50 pm

laca773 wrote:

The 737 is the unwanted step-child. Aeroflot only got them because a bunch of failing state-owned carriers had ordered them through Rostec (the state technology company) before Aeroflot was forced to take them (the airlines and the order) over. Aeroflot was committed to the A320 family long before. Sending them off to Pobeda makes sense, because Pobeda is already a 737 operator.
Last edited by VSMUT on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strebav8or

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:01 pm

This could explain encountering Aeroflot F/A's in Miami a couple weeks ago, during their training....

Ziyulu

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:14 pm

I think this is a great idea. It's usually the short haul flights that bring down the strong branding of an airline. Look at the US, short-haul flights have no meals, baggage fees, and basic economy tickets with a lot of restrictions. If these short-haul flights are a different brand, the strong brand of the parent airline will be strong. If AA, UA, or DL, did this, they can easily achieve 5 stars on SkyTrax.

VSMUT

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:42 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
I think this is a great idea. It's usually the short haul flights that bring down the strong branding of an airline. Look at the US, short-haul flights have no meals, baggage fees, and basic economy tickets with a lot of restrictions. If these short-haul flights are a different brand, the strong brand of the parent airline will be strong. If AA, UA, or DL, did this, they can easily achieve 5 stars on SkyTrax.

Aeroflot short haul isn't like any of those however. It's the best short haul product in all of Europe by a wide margin, only matched by Turkish. Let's not forget they will still have over 100 A320 family aircraft in the future.

https://onemileatatime.com/aeroflot-bus ... 37-review/

x1234

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:02 pm

Is Aeroflot still launching new destinations in Asia like they said they would (BOM KIX SIN)?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos