Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ANA787
Topic Author

BA cancels Portland (PDX)

Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:32 am

Cancelled indefinitely before the start. Not even a push out to next spring or summer. All schedules removed for next year.

Hopefully they can restart next year, but as of now PDX has been completely wiped from the entire schedule. Perhaps the 787 frames need to be used elsewhere.

https://londonairtravel.com/2020/07/21/british-airways-suspends-london-heathrow-portland/#more-24044
Last edited by ANA787 on Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

FLYKTPA

Re: BA cancels Portland (PDX)

Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:08 am

Not saying it’s not true.. but there seems to be nothing official in that article. I’d wait for something official from PDX or BA.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

ScottB

Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:15 am

ANA787 wrote:
as of now PDX has been completely wiped from the entire schedule. Perhaps the 787 frames need to be used elsewhere.

Or perhaps BA management has realized that air traffic will be severely depressed for an extended period, and many secondary markets in the U.S. will be more cost-effectively served via their partners like AA and AS.

DeltaPSCFlyer

Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Should be interesting to see now what DL does with its PDX-LHR route. I would venture to guess that it's likely gone for the foreseeable future as well.

Portland is not in a good place right now...hopefully better days are ahead.

ANA787
Topic Author

Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:58 pm

DeltaPSCFlyer wrote:
Should be interesting to see now what DL does with its PDX-LHR route. I would venture to guess that it's likely gone for the foreseeable future as well.

Portland is not in a good place right now...hopefully better days are ahead.

Delta made an announcement earlier this year to restart SEA-LHR, I assume this frame would've came from the PDX flight. But with BA once again gone for now it will be interesting to see what DL does.

PDX has also lost for the time being:
PDX-KEF on FI
PDX-FRA on DE

Delta's schedules to Europe still remain from PDX to AMS and LHR

Pi7472000

Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:40 pm

It seems British Airways is making the right decision due to the economic circumstances of Portland. This could be the future of other U.S. cities if we fail to contain COVID19 and have cities occupied by federal police.

FlyingElvii

Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:41 pm

I agree with the above.
The drawdown is going to affect most, if not all of the secondary markets. You cannot keep running empty airplanes forever...

GettingHigh38k

Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:21 pm

With BA retiring their 747 fleet, maybe they need the aircraft on routes that are currently running or routes that will resume operating.

DBun

Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:32 pm

As someone who actually lives in Portland I can tell you there is no 'rioting' inspire of what you might see in the press. I've been to a few protests and have many friends going regularly and they're always peaceful until the police instigate violence.

There are protests confined to a small area of downtown (about three blocks) and for the vast rest of the city, life is still going on as it has been during COVID. The protests have had little economic impact (as opposed to COVID which has had a massive impact)

Chugach

Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:47 pm

As a Portlander I can assure you that what the media is reporting (basically that the entire city is burning) is far from the truth. I work in downtown about 3 blocks from where the nightly protests happen, and has been alluded to by others it’s business as usual. None of us are privy to internal BA decisions but to think that BA pulled PDX because of protests/rioting is silly. Most likely it is a combination of COVID and the BA 747 fleet retirement, which means they won’t have as much slack for their 787 fleet.

pdxswa

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:03 pm

It is unfortunate to see BA cancel. There is a 14 day quarantine for anyone going to the UK in effect. It is unfortunate given the current circumstances. But it is necessary IMHO. I am sure the withdrawal of the BA 744 fleet has had an impact too.

wingman

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:19 pm

+1 on the Portland "riot" comments. Life goes on as normal under COVID. It's unfortunate about the BA news but it has nothing to do with the blazing anarchist inferno consuming the talking heads. BA or someone else from Europe will be back. Certainly if AA gets deeper and deeper with AS in this market then expanded int'l OD will follow. The smallest wide bodies are tailor made for just this kind of town.

AKL321NX

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:32 pm

Yes it's definitely the protests and not the pandemic that the United States has abdicated any responsibility for

hiflyeras

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:25 pm

We nearly booked it the other day for next June...glad we didn’t!

F9Animal

Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:08 pm

Bummer. Can't say I am shocked though. I think PDX will be a good market for them in the future though.
I Am A Different Animal!!

OA412

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:04 pm

Just a reminder that politics belongs in non aviation.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

LAX772LR

Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:32 pm

Doubt it has much to do with the current unrest, versus (1) the downturn, combined with (2) AA's fortification of SEA.

With 3, possible 4, airlines offering a nonstop SEA-LHR, I'm guessing BA just saw adding PDX as overkill in the post-CoVID market. Especially if DL keeps its competing PDX-LHR.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos