Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777ER
Head Moderator
Topic Author

New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:03 pm

Welcome to the August 2020 edition. Link to July 2020 viewtopic.php?p=22345467#p22345467
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

NZ516

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2020

Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:39 am

How well could AKL handle an domestic only summer holiday period?

Hopefully with not too much challenges the new lounge is now open and more gates are free now that the Q300s are gone. If Air NZ gets back up to 100% it will be interesting to see back to normal congestion in the terminal areas etc.

Zkpilot

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:08 pm

NZ516 wrote:

Hopefully with not too much challenges the new lounge is now open and more gates are free now that the Q300s are gone. If Air NZ gets back up to 100% it will be interesting to see back to normal congestion in the terminal areas etc.

Shouldn’t have a problem at all (although they absolutely should be replacing the dom terminal - well overdue!), but even with increased domestic travel from Kiwis, that doesn’t make up for the loss of international travellers on domestic flights. At best it’ll be about 90% of last summers flights. But now is a good opportunity to start building the new domestic terminal while it won’t interfere with intl operations.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

NZ321

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:10 pm

NZ516 wrote:

New lounge is a plus; I think think the regional one is better than the other one. Q300s gone? Since when? I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself on that one. Where did you read or hear that? They may be moving into the setting sun but I ain't seen any announcements about that one yet. What am I missing?
Plane mad!

NZ516

Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:26 pm

NZ321 wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

New lounge is a plus; I think think the regional one is better than the other one. Q300s gone? Since when? I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself on that one. Where did you read or hear that? They may be moving into the setting sun but I ain't seen any announcements about that one yet. What am I missing?

Sorry I missed out the word: JETSTAR Q300s are gone which frees up the layover gates for other aircraft to use.

Whoopeecock

Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Can’t see it on any news page yet, but an announcement has just been made to strengthen and lengthen the Chatham Island airport to the tune of $36 million.

NZ6

Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:16 am

Whoopeecock wrote:
Can’t see it on any news page yet, but an announcement has just been made to strengthen and lengthen the Chatham Island airport to the tune of $36 million.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/big ... 99-economy

Good for aviation minded people.

Questionable if this is the best investment/allocation for regional growth fund money but I won't get political about it.

NZ6

Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 am

NZ516 wrote:

If only time....

There's been a concept floating around for the last couple of decades... a brand new domesitc & short haul terminal for NZ.

So people can fly domesitc <> shorthaul and tasman <> pacific under one roof. Streamlinging things operationaly, logisiticlly as well as the customer exeprience side of things.

If that had been done. Cook Island flgihts could be flown now with much less "risk" as they would be completely seperated from other international crew/passengers etc etc.

zkncj

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:59 am

NZ516 wrote:

Only probably being that end of JQ Q300 services only freed up an shed (stand alone terminal). Which on an hole doesn’t explain the airside passenger space, which at time is at premium when a couple of Domestic a321NEO flights are in. Let alone when NZ decides to though an 789 on AKL-CHC.

SpoonNZ

Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:02 am

NZ6 wrote:
If that had been done. Cook Island flgihts could be flown now with much less "risk" as they would be completely seperated from other international crew/passengers etc etc.

They can already do this. Send PI flights to Wellington, others to Auckland. Aucklanders would have to connect, but seems like a simple way to eliminate a risk.

zkncj

Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:02 pm

SpoonNZ wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

They can already do this. Send PI flights to Wellington, others to Auckland. Aucklanders would have to connect, but seems like a simple way to eliminate a risk.

Or International passengers don’t need to use most of the terminal, I would.

Restrict international services to pier b, that way passengers to/from the Islands will not mix with transit passengers on international services. Blocking off pier A as an clean pier for Pacific Island flights.

Then since arrival numbers on all flights are currently capped at very low limits. All arriving passengers are transferred directly onto buses from the pier b bus gates.

Once on the bus they are taken to an near by sorting facilities to clear customs, collect there bags and be send to an hotel.

jane477

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:32 pm

zkncj wrote:
SpoonNZ wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Restrict international services to pier b, that way passengers to/from the Islands will not mix with transit passengers on international services. Blocking off pier A as an clean pier for Pacific Island flights.

Then since arrival numbers on all flights are currently capped at very low limits. All arriving passengers are transferred directly onto buses from the pier b bus gates.

Once on the bus they are taken to an near by sorting facilities to clear customs, collect there bags and be send to an hotel.

I think this system should be implemented everywhere to reduce virus spread
From this resume services online help you can get all the info and tips on how to write professional resume yourself. Maybe this could be useful

zkncj

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:22 pm

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300072380/coronavirus-jacinda-ardern-says-victoria-outbreak-pushes-transtasman-bubble-well-into-the-future

New Zealand PM this morning has finally stated what her standard would be for allowing an Tasman Bubble to happen.

Before such travel was possible Australia would need to have 28 continual days with no community transmission, Ardern said, suggesting that could be at least several months away.

So looks like Tasman travel will not be an thing for the reset of 2020, hopefully we can move on past an Tasman Bubble and open up to the Islands instead.

x1234

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:55 pm

I have friends in both China & the USA what want to visit NZ. Is the corona situation under control like China or is it spreading like wildfire like in the US? When do you guys estimate NZ borders will be open again?

zkncj

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:14 pm

x1234 wrote:
I have friends in both China & the USA what want to visit NZ. Is the corona situation under control like China or is it spreading like wildfire like in the US? When do you guys estimate NZ borders will be open again?

Mid-End of 2021 would be my bet, unless an miracle vaccination is found tomorrow and the majority to the population is vaccinated this year.

It will largely depend on the election result in September.

NZ6

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:57 pm

SpoonNZ wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

If 100% of passengers were connecting at AKL that would seem logical but the vast majoirty commence in AKL being Aucklanders or living north or south of it by 1-4Hours and dirve (WRE,KKE, HLZ, ROT,TRG etc etc).

That would add cost and time to their journey and so would it NZ with regard to crew numbers and locations. You can't exactly crew AKLWLG-WLGNAN-NANWLG-WLGAKL in one day. Nor would you want to pax them or overnight them.

NZ6

Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:13 pm

zkncj wrote:
SpoonNZ wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

This is heading down the path of what needs to happen if we every get a bubble. It's more complex than just that though. You need to seperate immigration and baggage collection, MPI screening as well. A customs officer won't be able to clear NZ5 then move over to a bubble flight. It's really like having two completely seperate operations but complicated by having it under one roof, that's why I'm saying if idea of a shorthaul hub had been done we would essentially have that.

Cook Islands is ready to go. It's waiting on government approval which will happen very shortly I believe. But being one destination it's easily manageble. I just hope some of the other Pacific Islands get on board soon after. Mainly for some type of outbound touriusm but also alowing our Pacific Island communities to be connected with home again especially over Christmas.

All this may not matter anyway as there'll be no Tasman bubble this calendar year. While not official as it's a goverment decsion and one they've never put a timeline on. It's what NZ are planning on and it's pretty clear anywyay. Once we're into next year we have to start asking oursevles if the bubble or vaxxine will come first?

I'm following the Oxford vaxxine closely and it's showing promising results and early next year is still a optimisitc window. I just wonder if there's be any appitite for a bubble if the Vaxxine is weeks away....?!?!?!

*** I dont' want to initate a vaxxine debate. There's so much positive and negiaive stuff in the media around what MAY or MAY NOT happen around it. My comment is simply, if one was available early next year would that end up being so close to a bubble the whole idea just gets shelved. ****

zkncj

Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:52 pm

[quote="NZ6"]
This is heading down the path of what needs to happen if we every get a bubble. It's more complex than just that though. You need to seperate immigration and baggage collection, MPI screening as well. A customs officer won't be able to clear NZ5 then move over to a bubble flight. It's really like having two completely seperate operations but complicated by having it under one roof, that's why I'm saying if idea of a shorthaul hub had been done we would essentially have that.

Cook Islands is ready to go. It's waiting on government approval which will happen very shortly I believe. But being one destination it's easily manageble. I just hope some of the other Pacific Islands get on board soon after. Mainly for some type of outbound touriusm but also alowing our Pacific Island communities to be connected with home again especially over Christmas.
l/quote]

Before COVID-19 ships arrived and departed from an pop up facility on the Auckland water front (basically passengers we're processed in an shed). All of that pop-up equipment is now sitting doing nothing, there is no reason why it could be put on an truck an transfered to an marque in AKL to create an Pacific Island arrival terminal which could get attached to the old Jetstar Regional terminal.

Baggage claim doesn't need to be to flash, it was only 10 years ago that you would collect you bag in Queenstown of the baggage trolleys. It just seems to be the current government is coming up with excuses, so people spend in New Zealand and not the Pacific Islands.

Regarding staffing, surely there is an surplus of Customs, MPI and AVSEC staff at the moment that could be put in an safe bubble?

Sylus

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:18 am

Speaking of the old JQ regional term (shed) at AKL, surely it wouldn't be too challenging to convert this space with some temp customs,avsec and MPI facilities with enough capacity for 2 x A320/21 flights a day to RAR (spread across the day). Check in would be as normal in the domestic term and then pax just walk to the shed term and process departing customs avsec there. And also arriving pax. Then just walk or bus to the stands. I know it's not a large space but with some temp buildings perhaps doable. Especially if only a capacity of say 180 pax every 3-4 hours. Just a thought, that way it's entirely separate from international

NZ6

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:12 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

l

Before COVID-19 ships arrived and departed from an pop up facility on the Auckland water front (basically passengers we're processed in an shed). All of that pop-up equipment is now sitting doing nothing, there is no reason why it could be put on an truck an transfered to an marque in AKL to create an Pacific Island arrival terminal which could get attached to the old Jetstar Regional terminal.

Baggage claim doesn't need to be to flash, it was only 10 years ago that you would collect you bag in Queenstown of the baggage trolleys. It just seems to be the current government is coming up with excuses, so people spend in New Zealand and not the Pacific Islands.

Regarding staffing, surely there is an surplus of Customs, MPI and AVSEC staff at the moment that could be put in an safe bubble?

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of ways to achieve what's needed. I did hear through a friend that tennants at AIAL will be and are seeking compesation via things like rent relief if not all internatinal passengers are able to access their shops due to COVID bubble restrictions so there's that to consider as well.

aemoreira1981

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:40 am

I have to wonder why NZ would even consider restoring LAX or SFO this year. That would make more sense with the start of NS21. YVR might make sense for NW20 as Canada has been responsible. (Such was announced on Airlineroute late last month:)

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-28jul20/

(EWR is already postponed to NW21.) With the situation in Australia, even with Melbourne on lockdown until at least mid-September, I can't really see trans-Tasman passenger traffic either...but what about destinations in the South Pacific and Japan? (RAR could be useful just for cargo movement.)

zkncj

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:49 am

[threeid][/threeid]
Sylus wrote:
Speaking of the old JQ regional term (shed) at AKL, surely it wouldn't be too challenging to convert this space with some temp customs,avsec and MPI facilities with enough capacity for 2 x A320/21 flights a day to RAR (spread across the day). Check in would be as normal in the domestic term and then pax just walk to the shed term and process departing customs avsec there. And also arriving pax. Then just walk or bus to the stands. I know it's not a large space but with some temp buildings perhaps doable. Especially if only a capacity of say 180 pax every 3-4 hours. Just a thought, that way it's entirely separate from international

Apart from lacking an baggage belt, it would be no worse off that the International Area at DUD or PMR/ROT/HLZ back in the days.

Did ROT use to have a International baggage belt? Back when it had its short lived services to SYD.

ZK-NBT

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:10 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I have to wonder why NZ would even consider restoring LAX or SFO this year. That would make more sense with the start of NS21. YVR might make sense for NW20 as Canada has been responsible. (Such was announced on Airlineroute late last month:)

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-28jul20/

(EWR is already postponed to NW21.) With the situation in Australia, even with Melbourne on lockdown until at least mid-September, I can't really see trans-Tasman passenger traffic either...but what about destinations in the South Pacific and Japan? (RAR could be useful just for cargo movement.)

LAX never stopped. Repatriation, essential travel, those who want to pay for isolation plus freight.

UA are loaded to return to SFO-AKL in October, I have heard they are looking at freight services which is what they will be when they do return anyway.

New Zealand is looking at pacific island travel bubbles, plenty of loopholes to work through before they can commence. They are running plenty of freight flight to the islands already.

Kiwings

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:42 am

And there is your answer to separating flights.....not really that hard to do as AIAL have shown.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12353350

77west

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:50 am

AKL to be split into two zones for bubble management:

77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W

zkncj

Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:18 am

Kiwings wrote:
And there is your answer to separating flights.....not really that hard to do as AIAL have shown.

It seems that airports are being used an escape goat for the government.

There is really no reason why flights to Rarotonga couldn’t start this week, after all apparently we have had no community transmission for 93 days now.

The only reason that we wouldn’t get flights to RAR now would be purely political. Both NZ and JQ would jump at the chance to resume passenger flights this week.

PA515

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:03 am

Air Chathams will be sending the ATR72-500 to the Chathams from October.

'Jubiliant islanders celebrate $40m windfall'
Air Chathams is already planning to introduce the 68 seat ART-72 in October once its long range navigation equipment has been adapted for the route. But a longer runway will mean it can take a bigger payload of passengers and freight - a crucial development for the islands tourism and export markets.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300072 ... e-mainland

I interpret that as meaning the ATR is payload restricted on the present runway. Perhaps Air Chathams will take another ex Air NZ ATR72-500. The asking price should be a bit less now.

PA515

NZ6

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:13 am

Kiwings wrote:

Not really that hard? Did you read that even the air-con is sperated?

it's simple on the surface but complex and detailed once you get into detail.

PA515

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:54 pm

Air NZ 77W ZK-OKS is showing as AKL-LAX 2100/1410 Wed 05 Aug as NZ6004. I expect it will be LAX-VCV the following day.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-oks

PA515

zkncj

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:51 am

With the prospect of International travel to/from New Zealand in 2021, now looking pretty slim.

What airlines/routes from markets that re-open, are predictions that will be axed post COVID-19.

On the Tasman, I would be expecting DUD-BNE(VA) and AKL-MCY(NZ), both to be victims of COVID-19. But surely they will be plenty more to come in the next 12-18 months.

NZ6

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:54 am

zkncj wrote:
With the prospect of International travel to/from New Zealand in 2021, now looking pretty slim.

What airlines/routes from markets that re-open, are predictions that will be axed post COVID-19.

On the Tasman, I would be expecting DUD-BNE(VA) and AKL-MCY(NZ), both to be victims of COVID-19. But surely they will be plenty more to come in the next 12-18 months.

Any bubble with QLD may change that wouldn't you think?

SpoonNZ

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:14 am

NZ6 wrote:

There will never be a bubble with QLD if not with all of Australia. Would basically mean QLD choosing NZ over NSW/VIC etc. Not going to happen.

Motorhussy

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:27 am

AKL ready to safely operate Pacific bubble from 17 August says airport’s Networks Development Manager.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018758133/pacific-bubble-possible-by-august-17-auckland-airport
come visit the south pacific

Zkpilot

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:04 pm

SpoonNZ wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

There will never be a bubble with QLD if not with all of Australia. Would basically mean QLD choosing NZ over NSW/VIC etc. Not going to happen.

State governments in Oz have said exactly that...they are open to doing state by state with NZ.
Problem is there is likely to be leakage from VIC to the other states which will put it all at risk.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

NZ6

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:10 pm

Motorhussy wrote:
AKL ready to safely operate Pacific bubble from 17 August says airport’s Networks Development Manager.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018758133/pacific-bubble-possible-by-august-17-auckland-airport

I'm expecting an announcement this week or next. Unfortunately only the government know when that'll be. But there's been more encouragement and dotting of the I's and crossing the T's in the last few weeks.

Everything is 'ready' or 'on-track' to be ready for an imminent bubble.

Looking at the work that's gone on behind the scenes, I'm honestly scratching my head at what we're waiting for? Announce it so people can plan and book. I wonder if moving closing to September 19th is a factor?
Last edited by NZ6 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NZ6

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:24 pm

SpoonNZ wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Interesting...

Both NZ and AU have both left that door wide open for it so it can't really be dismissed.

I agree it's an absolute no anytime soon, especially while Australia tries to ringfence this "second wave".

VIC and NSW are extremely high-risk areas and will be for some considerable time.

But QLD has demonstrated strong leadership and followed similar principals to NZ, go hard, go early. QLD also rely on tourism heavily. NZ has a significant part to play in this so if NZ or AU aren't open to a wider bubble involving NSW/VIC, let's say in the first half of next year. At what point do QLD and NZ sit down.

If you look at our 'current state' and look at what a 'normal state' looks like (pre-COVID state) there has to be some transition. COVID could well be with us for several years to come and while a political question which will have differing opinions - can we afford to be closed for another 12-18 months and what does any transition look like and how will bubbles or "safe zones" be introduced during any transition period.

zkncj

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:03 pm

Motorhussy wrote:

Should Rarotonga be re-opened in the next couple fo weeks, I guess we could expect NZ to be back there daily. But would JQ return on there AKL-RAR service?

NZ801

Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:57 am

SpoonNZ wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

I disagree. I think it is highly likely that there will be state bubbles with NZ with QLD/WA/TA being likely candidates. This morning on ABC News Breakfast the VA CEO mentioned this exact scenario happening though did caution that it wasn’t a given.

NZ801

Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:00 am

I think we need to remember that NZ has an election in a few weeks and the government is not going to risk re election by opening borders.

Have seen some comments that opening the borders isn’t that holy grail some are saying it will be.

Some1Somewhere

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:30 am

NZ6 wrote:
Kiwings wrote:

I don't see anything about that in there. Even if it is, I would fully expect different terminals to have separate aircon systems, especially if built at different times. Failing that, setting a few points in the BMS and cutting holes in duct may not be hard. I say this as someone who works in HVAC.

I'd expect the hardest parts to be duplicating all the biosecurity, security, and customs gear.

NZ6

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:34 am

Some1Somewhere wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
Kiwings wrote:

I don't see anything about that in there. Even if it is, I would fully expect different terminals to have separate aircon systems, especially if built at different times. Failing that, setting a few points in the BMS and cutting holes in duct may not be hard. I say this as someone who works in HVAC.

I'd expect the hardest parts to be duplicating all the biosecurity, security, and customs gear.

Those areas are currently one zone? It's taken several months of plannning but okay.

tullamarine

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:48 am

NZ6 wrote:
SpoonNZ wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Interesting...

Both NZ and AU have both left that door wide open for it so it can't really be dismissed.

I agree it's an absolute no anytime soon, especially while Australia tries to ringfence this "second wave".

VIC and NSW are extremely high-risk areas and will be for some considerable time.

But QLD has demonstrated strong leadership and followed similar principals to NZ, go hard, go early. QLD also rely on tourism heavily. NZ has a significant part to play in this so if NZ or AU aren't open to a wider bubble involving NSW/VIC, let's say in the first half of next year. At what point do QLD and NZ sit down.

If you look at our 'current state' and look at what a 'normal state' looks like (pre-COVID state) there has to be some transition. COVID could well be with us for several years to come and while a political question which will have differing opinions - can we afford to be closed for another 12-18 months and what does any transition look like and how will bubbles or "safe zones" be introduced during any transition period.

It is unclear if it would even be consitutional to open international trade but only for certain states in AU. I doubt there will be a Tasman bubble before Christmas. NZ probably wants and needs it more economically than AU anyway so the AU Government won't be in any rush.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

anstar

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:58 am

Zkpilot wrote:
SpoonNZ wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

State governments in Oz have said exactly that...they are open to doing state by state with NZ.
Problem is there is likely to be leakage from VIC to the other states which will put it all at risk.

I thought the border was a matter for the commonwealth govt, not state govts?

Motorhussy wrote:

Vested interest and all that... Same as the Aus tourism body/chamber of commerce saying borders will open in July a few months ago.... Govt's decide this stuff not business.

zkncj wrote:
Motorhussy wrote:

Should Rarotonga be re-opened in the next couple fo weeks, I guess we could expect NZ to be back there daily. But would JQ return on there AKL-RAR service?

As an Aus airline ie I believe they only have rights for AKL-RAR if its opersated as a through service from AUS... so until TT is back up and running no AKL-RAR.

zkncj

Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:51 am

anstar wrote:
As an Aus airline ie I believe they only have rights for AKL-RAR if its opersated as a through service from AUS... so until TT is back up and running no AKL-RAR.

Would have thought that the Cook Islands, would have been covered by the Australia & New Zealand SAM agreement. As the Cook Islands are an free self governing state of New Zealand.

If any Australia airlines needed the approve on the Cook Islands end, I’m sure that would be approved very fast.

DavidByrne

Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:24 am

zkncj wrote:
If any Australia airlines needed the approve on the Cook Islands end, I’m sure that would be approved very fast.

I wouldn’t be too sure about that - the Pacific governments are extremely conscious of their vulnerability to Covid and will not want to take any risks whatever.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

zkncj

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:17 am

DavidByrne wrote:
zkncj wrote:

I wouldn’t be too sure about that - the Pacific governments are extremely conscious of their vulnerability to Covid and will not want to take any risks whatever.

I’m not talking about direct flights from Australia to the Cook Islands. More Flights from AKL-RAR operates by an Australian Airline (operated by AKL based crew).

Such as Jetstar and Qantas, Virgin wouldn’t be able to get back up and running (as they fired all there New Zealand staff in March).

AviatorNZ

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:06 pm

anstar wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Motorhussy wrote:

JQ's AKL-RAR-AKL service operated as an independent service as JQ128 and JQ129. Oftentimes the aircraft would operate a full day of domestic services, fly to RAR and back, and then back to domestic flying.

Some1Somewhere

Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:43 am

NZ6 wrote:
Some1Somewhere wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Those areas are currently one zone? It's taken several months of plannning but okay.

Ah, I haven't seen any detailed plans. It sounded like they were separating 'piers' of the terminal.

I'm not saying it hasn't taken months of planning, just that I doubt the aircon is a major part of that planning.

Gangurru

Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:58 am

NZ6 wrote:
You can't exactly crew AKLWLG-WLGNAN-NANWLG-WLGAKL in one day. Nor would you want to pax them or overnight them.

Ignoring the economics of an extra hours flying compared to AKL, couldn’t the aircraft be based in WLG and use WLG crew?

Your reply has me wondering if the WLG international crew base closed? I used to fly with them regularly and they gave lovely service.

Kiwings

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:00 am

The AIAL press release is quite clear - https://corporate.aucklandairport.co.nz ... -two-zones

As I said originally - this is not that difficult to do - it is more just ensuring that the protocols are understood by staff and abided by.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos