Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2561
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:17 am

They may also pick up more regional pax helping fill flights. But I don't think that is their primary business case for launching capital city services. They want the Point ot Point traffic and there should be enough demand for them to fill 10 aircraft.

What other regional traffic could they pick up? QF Link aren't going to give them any and Alliance already has mutual relationships with both QF and VA.

I doubt JQ have a lower cost base. I mean JQ's CEO is on something like $4m a year... REX has a CEO on something like $220k and none of the board are earning much more than that if any. $220k at Jetstar wouldn't even pay for a department head.

JQ's cost advantages come from the economies of scale they have. For example, their ground crew and check-in staff can service flights full-time. REX's restricted operations will mean their staff will spend large blocks of time doing little waiting for the next peak. The same applies to spares where JQ holds a stock of rotable parts that can be spread across 75 A320s. REX won't be able to do this and will need to contract either QF or VA to provide this support because they won't be able to hold parts at all 3 ports for only 10 planes.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:42 am

anstar wrote:
They may also pick up more regional pax helping fill flights. But I don't think that is their primary business case for launching capital city services. They want the Point ot Point traffic and there should be enough demand for them to fill 10 aircraft.


Unfortunately you have 2 significantly larger players (QF/JQ and VA) who also have their own planes to fill. VA is going to want to reclaim lost ground and JQ isn't going to let any competitor undercut them. Can't see how anyone with a small fleet of 10 succeeding in a market which history has shown can only support 2 airlines.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789
 
grh
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:35 am

Any idea when Aust. Post/QF's new freighter (VH-ULD) is due ?
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3388
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:25 am

Deano969 wrote:
On Adelaide
They would be better off with Adelaide over Melbourne as the have many more feeder flights at Adelaide
Linking their hubs would be a smart way of guaranteeing a base load of passengers
ADL MEL SYD BNE all stops could be a way also to cover all if pax don't mind a stop or 2 to get from A to C or D


Just not going to happen as the priority has to be where the $$ are.

With business and leisure demand in the golden triangle a very important part of any airlines profit drivers, the focus on the SYD/MEL/BNE markets will continue for a long time.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8438
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:47 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:

With business and leisure demand in the golden triangle a very important part of any airlines profit drivers, the focus on the SYD/MEL/BNE markets will continue for a long time.


The problem is that now is not the time to be trying to jump into that - or indeed any - new market. NSW is closed to VIC, and QLD is closed to both NSW and VIC. The Australian economy is in its first recession in 30 years, and the global economy in the worse recession sine the 1930s. Businesses have discovered Zoom, Cisco Webex, teleconferencing etc. and while none of these are new technologies, after 6+ months of 'getting by' it is highly unlikely that business travel will return to 2019 levels even after the economy rebounds. Demand at the moment is basically zero - essential travel only - and even 12-24 months from now it seems unlikely that demand will have recovered on the SYD-MEL-BNE triangle to 2019 levels.

Add to this that Rex is an airline that has always shied away from any competition, complains about having to pay for security screening, whinges incessantly about how unfair it is when QantasLink enter one of their markets, and after pouting for a bit leaves a market that Qantas have entered (Kingscote and Ballina being two recent examples). I don't understand how this same company thinks they will survive in a war with Qantas/Jetstar and a newly capitalised Virgin Australia during a period of depressed demand. Qantas Group and Virgin are practically nothing without those traditional gold mine routes, and definitely aren't going to play nice just because Rex is the new kid.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3388
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:16 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

With business and leisure demand in the golden triangle a very important part of any airlines profit drivers, the focus on the SYD/MEL/BNE markets will continue for a long time.


The problem is that now is not the time to be trying to jump into that - or indeed any - new market. NSW is closed to VIC, and QLD is closed to both NSW and VIC. The Australian economy is in its first recession in 30 years, and the global economy in the worse recession sine the 1930s. Businesses have discovered Zoom, Cisco Webex, teleconferencing etc. and while none of these are new technologies, after 6+ months of 'getting by' it is highly unlikely that business travel will return to 2019 levels even after the economy rebounds. Demand at the moment is basically zero - essential travel only - and even 12-24 months from now it seems unlikely that demand will have recovered on the SYD-MEL-BNE triangle to 2019 levels.

Add to this that Rex is an airline that has always shied away from any competition, complains about having to pay for security screening, whinges incessantly about how unfair it is when QantasLink enter one of their markets, and after pouting for a bit leaves a market that Qantas have entered (Kingscote and Ballina being two recent examples). I don't understand how this same company thinks they will survive in a war with Qantas/Jetstar and a newly capitalised Virgin Australia during a period of depressed demand. Qantas Group and Virgin are practically nothing without those traditional gold mine routes, and definitely aren't going to play nice just because Rex is the new kid.


I get what you are saying, but what they are looking at is a longer term business case, not what is currently occurring in terms of border closures or current conditions.

Of course things will be affected on many fronts, and the competition will come out fighting, but the reality is the only way an airline has a chance of truly making inroads in this country is tapping into the golden triangle. Doesn’t mean they will be a big success, but it’s the best chance of finding a strong competitive position with the market size of those 3 markets.

Thinking that markets like ADL present strong opportunities is only likely to lead down a very disappointing path. Longer term those are things that can be considered, but the first priority for them will be the biggest markets that can generate the volume and demand mix they need.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2561
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:53 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:

With business and leisure demand in the golden triangle a very important part of any airlines profit drivers, the focus on the SYD/MEL/BNE markets will continue for a long time.


The problem is that now is not the time to be trying to jump into that - or indeed any - new market. NSW is closed to VIC, and QLD is closed to both NSW and VIC. The Australian economy is in its first recession in 30 years, and the global economy in the worse recession sine the 1930s. Businesses have discovered Zoom, Cisco Webex, teleconferencing etc. and while none of these are new technologies, after 6+ months of 'getting by' it is highly unlikely that business travel will return to 2019 levels even after the economy rebounds. Demand at the moment is basically zero - essential travel only - and even 12-24 months from now it seems unlikely that demand will have recovered on the SYD-MEL-BNE triangle to 2019 levels.

Add to this that Rex is an airline that has always shied away from any competition, complains about having to pay for security screening, whinges incessantly about how unfair it is when QantasLink enter one of their markets, and after pouting for a bit leaves a market that Qantas have entered (Kingscote and Ballina being two recent examples). I don't understand how this same company thinks they will survive in a war with Qantas/Jetstar and a newly capitalised Virgin Australia during a period of depressed demand. Qantas Group and Virgin are practically nothing without those traditional gold mine routes, and definitely aren't going to play nice just because Rex is the new kid.


I get what you are saying, but what they are looking at is a longer term business case, not what is currently occurring in terms of border closures or current conditions.

Of course things will be affected on many fronts, and the competition will come out fighting, but the reality is the only way an airline has a chance of truly making inroads in this country is tapping into the golden triangle. Doesn’t mean they will be a big success, but it’s the best chance of finding a strong competitive position with the market size of those 3 markets.

Thinking that markets like ADL present strong opportunities is only likely to lead down a very disappointing path. Longer term those are things that can be considered, but the first priority for them will be the biggest markets that can generate the volume and demand mix they need.

The problem with the currently known REX plan is that it doesn't offer anything new so it is hard to see how they will make inroads. They are not going to be especially cheap, they will have ordinary frequency and they are flying well established routes. If they had chosen to be a ULCC or adopt new routes not flown by the existing mainline incumbents, at least they would stand out and give a reason for customers to try.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
BNEFlyer
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:41 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:
aschachter wrote:


Given Virgin are going to downsize its' fleet by reducing to a 737 fleet and removing the A320s (Virgin and Ex-Tiger), A330s and 777-300ers (Stored), I don't remember reading that Virgin were going to return excess 737s as well...

Slight correction, the VARA A320's are remaining in the fleet. And a number of 737's are going back to lessors. I recall reading early on in the piece that they were going to return about 70+, but that could be more now.


Do you by chance mean keep 70? They only had 79 737s to start with!

Pre-Covid they had 101 including the Tiger fleet, if they have 79 now excluding Tiger as they're gone, VA will probably end up with about half of them.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1841
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:50 pm

BNEFlyer wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:
Slight correction, the VARA A320's are remaining in the fleet. And a number of 737's are going back to lessors. I recall reading early on in the piece that they were going to return about 70+, but that could be more now.


Do you by chance mean keep 70? They only had 79 737s to start with!

Pre-Covid they had 101 including the Tiger fleet, if they have 79 now excluding Tiger as they're gone, VA will probably end up with about half of them.

They never had that many. They only had 85 as the last fleet exit was ages ago (2015) - and this includes both 73G and the 6 birds with TT. Unless you count the old 22 fleet exits to make it up to 107.

By 101 I bet you were counting absolutely every bird in VA group (VA has 98 when including ATR, A330 and 777).

Michael
Last edited by eamondzhang on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2561
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:51 pm

BNEFlyer wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:
Slight correction, the VARA A320's are remaining in the fleet. And a number of 737's are going back to lessors. I recall reading early on in the piece that they were going to return about 70+, but that could be more now.


Do you by chance mean keep 70? They only had 79 737s to start with!

Pre-Covid they had 101 including the Tiger fleet, if they have 79 now excluding Tiger as they're gone, VA will probably end up with about half of them.

As at 31/12/19 VA (inc TT) had 45 owned 737s including 2 737-700s. Given they are aiming for an initial 737 fleet of around that size, it would seem that none of the leased 738s will be retained.

It's a bit unclear on the plans for the VARA A320s of which only 1 was owned. I originally read they were all going but have since read the VARA will maintain its A320s; not sure which is right. All the F100s are owned.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
x1234
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:02 pm

I'm reading that AU & NZ have the most restrictive lockdowns in the Western world right now apart from China. I really hope this pandemic ends soon because I want to visit my friends in Australia & NZ. The US border right now is closed too. :(
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1499
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:31 pm

x1234 wrote:
I'm reading that AU & NZ have the most restrictive lockdowns in the Western world right now apart from China. I really hope this pandemic ends soon because I want to visit my friends in Australia & NZ. The US border right now is closed too. :(


NZ border is closed. The two Australian states with 60% of the national population are closed to each other and to the other states. Some movement is currently possible between some states (Queensland and SA for example, although they don't share an easily navigable land border.) The national border is closed, with both entry and exit requiring government approval.

For "closed states" movements are heavily regulated, and largely via major airports into compulsory 14 day quarantine.

I don't know that my family in the US will be visiting any time soon, and reopening our borders is both a political and public health challenge, as noone wants to be the person responsible for allowing infections and/or deaths to climb..... My home state of NSW (about 8 million pop) saw 3 new confirmed cases yesterday, taking the total under monitoring to around 270.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
smi0006
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:13 am

grh wrote:
Any idea when Aust. Post/QF's new freighter (VH-ULD) is due ?


Is this the airbus ones? Was it a 321 freighter?
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1841
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:27 am

smi0006 wrote:
grh wrote:
Any idea when Aust. Post/QF's new freighter (VH-ULD) is due ?


Is this the airbus ones? Was it a 321 freighter?

Yep

I was also curious about this - thought it should've been delivered long time ago as it can be helpful during this period

Michael
 
grh
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:28 am

Yep, A321P2F

Has been sitting at Seletar for a while
 
Deano969
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:12 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:16 am

There are 3 points about REX that give me hope that they will succeed with a jet fleet
1 they claim to have never had loss
2 this is despite relatively low load factors
3 they currently offer discounted "community fares" on many of their routs
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2561
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:53 am

Deano969 wrote:
There are 3 points about REX that give me hope that they will succeed with a jet fleet
1 they claim to have never had loss
2 this is despite relatively low load factors
3 they currently offer discounted "community fares" on many of their routs

Their segment fares are not particularly cheap not that this is unusual for regional flights. I believe community fares may be subsidised by state governments to cover routes that would not otherwise be serviced. There will be no subsidies from government for golden-triangle flights.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:54 am

Deano969 wrote:
There are 3 points about REX that give me hope that they will succeed with a jet fleet
1 they claim to have never had loss

Past performance doesn't mean a thing. They've never operated jet aircraft, they're going from a 36 seat aircraft to a 180 seat aircraft.

2 this is despite relatively low load factors

A number of their routes are subsidised by State governments.

3 they currently offer discounted "community fares" on many of their routs

Which is only possible because of subsidies.

There are two big competitors in QF/JQ and VA who aren't going to let any newcomer come in a grab a slice of the market without a fight, this will come down to who has the deepest pockets and REX isn't at the top of that list...
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2561
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:42 pm

QAN has released their 2019/20 results with a statutory loss of $2.7B and an underlying profit of $124M. Obviously the largest expenses accounting for the difference between the 2 figures is the writedown on the A380 fleet (1.4B) and hedging losses due to Covid ($570M).
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1841
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:03 pm

tullamarine wrote:
QAN has released their 2019/20 results with a statutory loss of $2.7B and an underlying profit of $124M. Obviously the largest expenses accounting for the difference between the 2 figures is the writedown on the A380 fleet (1.4B) and hedging losses due to Covid ($570M).

And if I read it correctly $642m in redundancies and restructuring costs.

Kinda surprised that they actually reported some profit before all the writedowns - got to show how strong their financial is.

Michael
 
anstar
Posts: 3291
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:10 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
QAN has released their 2019/20 results with a statutory loss of $2.7B and an underlying profit of $124M. Obviously the largest expenses accounting for the difference between the 2 figures is the writedown on the A380 fleet (1.4B) and hedging losses due to Covid ($570M).

And if I read it correctly $642m in redundancies and restructuring costs.

Kinda surprised that they actually reported some profit before all the writedowns - got to show how strong their financial is.

Michael

They also received $515m from the govt... so without that would of been no profit,
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2561
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:11 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
QAN has released their 2019/20 results with a statutory loss of $2.7B and an underlying profit of $124M. Obviously the largest expenses accounting for the difference between the 2 figures is the writedown on the A380 fleet (1.4B) and hedging losses due to Covid ($570M).

And if I read it correctly $642m in redundancies and restructuring costs.

Kinda surprised that they actually reported some profit before all the writedowns - got to show how strong their financial is.

Michael

There is a bit of argument if redundancies should be considered as non-underlying. Underlying profit is grossly abused by a lot of companies as there are no clear standard on what it means. It was supposed to have been fixed 20 years ago when companies were stopped from reporting extraordinary items but it has crept back. You can tell it is abused because you never see a company report underlying profit worse than the statutory profit.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
Foopz
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:05 am

A La Compagnie A321N (F-HBUZ) will appear in Perth today as flight B0 802 BOM-PER at 1900.
Guessing this is more charter activity? Interesting choice of aircraft if so.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:17 am

eamondzhang wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
grh wrote:
Any idea when Aust. Post/QF's new freighter (VH-ULD) is due ?


Is this the airbus ones? Was it a 321 freighter?

Yep

I was also curious about this - thought it should've been delivered long time ago as it can be helpful during this period

Michael


According to the following it’s due for delivery in October

https://twitter.com/r_wall/status/12962 ... 45473?s=21
Forum Moderator
 
smi0006
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:30 am

qf789 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Is this the airbus ones? Was it a 321 freighter?

Yep

I was also curious about this - thought it should've been delivered long time ago as it can be helpful during this period

Michael


According to the following it’s due for delivery in October

https://twitter.com/r_wall/status/12962 ... 45473?s=21


Be great to see the 321 in QF livery, even the freight one. Hopefully a prelude to 321XLR going to QF, I see it as a useful aircraft to support pax recovery into Asia, and a good fit for the Tasman/PI too.
 
grh
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:02 am

thanks for the info.

QF had 3 on order.

It will be interesting to see if the other 2 follow.
 
JQ321
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:40 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:03 am

grh wrote:
thanks for the info.

QF had 3 on order.

It will be interesting to see if the other 2 follow.

No, they ordered 1 with options for another 2.
 
Kieros
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:34 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:26 am

Foopz wrote:
A La Compagnie A321N (F-HBUZ) will appear in Perth today as flight B0 802 BOM-PER at 1900.
Guessing this is more charter activity? Interesting choice of aircraft if so.


Possibly for the Australian Cricket team departing to England..
 
Obzerva
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:46 am

Kieros wrote:
Foopz wrote:
A La Compagnie A321N (F-HBUZ) will appear in Perth today as flight B0 802 BOM-PER at 1900.
Guessing this is more charter activity? Interesting choice of aircraft if so.


Possibly for the Australian Cricket team departing to England..


good pickup.
 
User avatar
allrite
Posts: 2614
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:58 am

An Alliance Fokker F70 just flew low over our house this evening as QQ3391 between Sydney Kingsford Smith and Bankstown airports. Very short hop! Just repositioning or something more?

Image
I like artificial banana essence!
 
QF744ER
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:20 pm

qf789 wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Is this the airbus ones? Was it a 321 freighter?

Yep

I was also curious about this - thought it should've been delivered long time ago as it can be helpful during this period

Michael


According to the following it’s due for delivery in October

https://twitter.com/r_wall/status/12962 ... 45473?s=21


I’ve heard the conversion is completed, it’s been certified, painted (although I personally haven’t seen any photos of -ULD post painting into QF/Aust Post livery) and she’s now sitting stored in XSP.
 
ben175
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:25 pm

La Compagnie apparently flew a 321neo from Paris Orly to Perth via Mumbai today. Is this a repatriation flight?
 
smi0006
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:51 pm

ben175 wrote:
La Compagnie apparently flew a 321neo from Paris Orly to Perth via Mumbai today. Is this a repatriation flight?


I would have thought there is plenty of capacity back to France now with SQ,EK,QR. Perhaps a charter for the mining industry above the capacity restrictions inbound to AU, with a separate quarantine arrangement?
 
VHZNE
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:42 pm

smi0006 wrote:
ben175 wrote:
La Compagnie apparently flew a 321neo from Paris Orly to Perth via Mumbai today. Is this a repatriation flight?


I would have thought there is plenty of capacity back to France now with SQ,EK,QR. Perhaps a charter for the mining industry above the capacity restrictions inbound to AU, with a separate quarantine arrangement?


They mentioned above that it is for the cricket team.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1719
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:42 pm

allrite wrote:
An Alliance Fokker F70 just flew low over our house this evening as QQ3391 between Sydney Kingsford Smith and Bankstown airports. Very short hop! Just repositioning or something more?

Image


Alliance, as you probably know, is operating charters for the NRL (and AFL, if I'm not mistaken) whereby teams are flown to matches, play and then are immediately fly back again. For the Sydney teams, this often means using Bankstown where the arrival or departure is during the SYD curfew. In this case, the aircraft (VH-QQV) departed Bankstown at 2358 last night to MCY, and the Storm (currently 'at home' on the Sunshine Cosat) played the Eels in Sydney last night.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3893
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:49 pm

NZ has started an new LAX-BNE-LAX freight service a couple of times an week, operated by an mix of 77Ws and 789s as NZ1199/NZ1198.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-oko
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2561
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:01 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
allrite wrote:
An Alliance Fokker F70 just flew low over our house this evening as QQ3391 between Sydney Kingsford Smith and Bankstown airports. Very short hop! Just repositioning or something more?

Image


Alliance, as you probably know, is operating charters for the NRL (and AFL, if I'm not mistaken) whereby teams are flown to matches, play and then are immediately fly back again. For the Sydney teams, this often means using Bankstown where the arrival or departure is during the SYD curfew. In this case, the aircraft (VH-QQV) departed Bankstown at 2358 last night to MCY, and the Storm (currently 'at home' on the Sunshine Cosat) played the Eels in Sydney last night.

AFL is using VA for charters. VA9007 is currently flying Richmond and Essendon from BNE to DRW.
Last edited by tullamarine on Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2561
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:07 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ has started an new LAX-BNE-LAX freight service a couple of times an week, operated by an mix of 77Ws and 789s as NZ1199/NZ1198.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-oko

I assume that this is replacing the demand left vacant by VA which stopped flying its 77Ws on US freight services a couple of weeks ago.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
aschachter
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:37 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:43 am

VHZNE wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
ben175 wrote:
La Compagnie apparently flew a 321neo from Paris Orly to Perth via Mumbai today. Is this a repatriation flight?


I would have thought there is plenty of capacity back to France now with SQ,EK,QR. Perhaps a charter for the mining industry above the capacity restrictions inbound to AU, with a separate quarantine arrangement?


They mentioned above that it is for the cricket team.


Is that for the Australian Cricket Team that are going to London?

If it is, I thought they would have used QF and given I remember seeing one of the A330-200s moved from Avalon Storage to Brisbane, they may have been getting that ready for the flight, given the 200s greater range than the 300s.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:39 am

aschachter wrote:
VHZNE wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

I would have thought there is plenty of capacity back to France now with SQ,EK,QR. Perhaps a charter for the mining industry above the capacity restrictions inbound to AU, with a separate quarantine arrangement?


They mentioned above that it is for the cricket team.


Is that for the Australian Cricket Team that are going to London?

If it is, I thought they would have used QF and given I remember seeing one of the A330-200s moved from Avalon Storage to Brisbane, they may have been getting that ready for the flight, given the 200s greater range than the 300s.

You would notice the -200’s currently stored at AVV have been ferried to BNE for maintenance and repositioned to SYD for storage.

The conditions at AVV haven’t been ideal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2561
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:01 am

EK413 wrote:
aschachter wrote:
VHZNE wrote:

They mentioned above that it is for the cricket team.


Is that for the Australian Cricket Team that are going to London?

If it is, I thought they would have used QF and given I remember seeing one of the A330-200s moved from Avalon Storage to Brisbane, they may have been getting that ready for the flight, given the 200s greater range than the 300s.

You would notice the -200’s currently stored at AVV have been ferried to BNE for maintenance and repositioned to SYD for storage.

The conditions at AVV haven’t been ideal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that SYD is ideal for long-term storage either given it is also damp and close to the sea.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
Foopz
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:46 am

Obzerva wrote:
Kieros wrote:
Foopz wrote:
A La Compagnie A321N (F-HBUZ) will appear in Perth today as flight B0 802 BOM-PER at 1900.
Guessing this is more charter activity? Interesting choice of aircraft if so.


Possibly for the Australian Cricket team departing to England..


good pickup.

Makes sense. Interesting as it looks like it's going to sit in PER for a few more days yet, if not longer.
Considering the unique fitout La Compagnie has it doesn't surprise me that they might get some high-end charter business through COVID-19.

Another interesting one heading into Perth tomorrow, this one is definitely a repatriation flight of some sort.
Myanmar Airways International Flight 8M 1201, RGN-DPS-PER arriving at 14:35 tomorrow. XY-ALN, an A319 will be used for it.
8M 1202 PER-DPS-RGN departs 23/08 at 03:35.
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:51 am

Virgin's bondholder group has dropped its "Plan B" proposal to have creditors convert debt into equity, recapitalise the airline and railroad the Deloitte-Bain ownership plan.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... es-control 

Apparently the next step in all this comes on August 25 when Deloitte will present a report to creditors listing how much or rather how little they'll get back on the dollar, AND how much Bain paid for Virgin Australia. That report is certain to leak very quickly, any bets as to how much Bain paid?
 
zkncj
Posts: 3893
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:16 am

aschachter wrote:
VHZNE wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

I would have thought there is plenty of capacity back to France now with SQ,EK,QR. Perhaps a charter for the mining industry above the capacity restrictions inbound to AU, with a separate quarantine arrangement?


They mentioned above that it is for the cricket team.


Is that for the Australian Cricket Team that are going to London?

If it is, I thought they would have used QF and given I remember seeing one of the A330-200s moved from Avalon Storage to Brisbane, they may have been getting that ready for the flight, given the 200s greater range than the 300s.


Does QF have any international cabin left on active duty? Would think most have been stood down until March-July 2021?

It would be bit of an process getting crew etc ready to operate, would think most of the cabin crew would no longer been current on there trained types.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:18 am

tullamarine wrote:
zkncj wrote:
NZ has started an new LAX-BNE-LAX freight service a couple of times an week, operated by an mix of 77Ws and 789s as NZ1199/NZ1198.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-oko

I assume that this is replacing the demand left vacant by VA which stopped flying its 77Ws on US freight services a couple of weeks ago.


Organised by Australian Government, once weekly for 8 week period. Full list of organised freight flights is in the links below - including JL's new NRT-BNE flight launched this week for 12 weeks.

https://www.austrade.gov.au/ArticleDocu ... e.pdf.aspx
https://www.austrade.gov.au/ArticleDocu ... e.pdf.aspx
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 613
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:32 am

Edit: Article was previously posted some posts up.
 
User avatar
CPS001
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:46 am

Foopz wrote:
Another interesting one heading into Perth tomorrow, this one is definitely a repatriation flight of some sort.
Myanmar Airways International Flight 8M 1201, RGN-DPS-PER arriving at 14:35 tomorrow. XY-ALN, an A319 will be used for it.
8M 1202 PER-DPS-RGN departs 23/08 at 03:35.


The full rotation is MAA-RGN-DPS-PER v.v. as per FR24, quite interesting.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8438
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:04 am

zkncj wrote:
aschachter wrote:
VHZNE wrote:

They mentioned above that it is for the cricket team.


Is that for the Australian Cricket Team that are going to London?

If it is, I thought they would have used QF and given I remember seeing one of the A330-200s moved from Avalon Storage to Brisbane, they may have been getting that ready for the flight, given the 200s greater range than the 300s.


Does QF have any international cabin left on active duty? Would think most have been stood down until March-July 2021?

It would be bit of an process getting crew etc ready to operate, would think most of the cabin crew would no longer been current on there trained types.


If an A330 was used then then it could be operated by "Domestic" cabin crew. Any flight within that aircraft's range would fall within their permissible duty day. "Domestic" crew can - and often did - crew any A330 flight in the system apart from SYD-HNL, and the only reason they never flew to HNL was due to USA visa requirements - for that it was easier to just use "International" crew who require visas anyway for flights to mainland US.

That said, given they are keeping 2 787s around and will be using them for Antarctic charters later in the year I'd assume there are still some International cabin crew left? If there are then they are presumaby crewing A330 domestic flights.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:03 pm

tullamarine wrote:
EK413 wrote:
aschachter wrote:

Is that for the Australian Cricket Team that are going to London?

If it is, I thought they would have used QF and given I remember seeing one of the A330-200s moved from Avalon Storage to Brisbane, they may have been getting that ready for the flight, given the 200s greater range than the 300s.

You would notice the -200’s currently stored at AVV have been ferried to BNE for maintenance and repositioned to SYD for storage.

The conditions at AVV haven’t been ideal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that SYD is ideal for long-term storage either given it is also damp and close to the sea.

AVV isn’t a maintenance base whilst SYD, MEL & BNE are bases with manpower and tooling accessible.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
soyuz
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:35 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2020

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:08 pm

Ukraine Air Alliance Antonov 12BK inbound to BNE from Fiji at this time. It’s a 50 year old example with one of the best regos in the history of aviation. UR-CNT. As per FR24, it looks like she has been shuttling between BNE and Nadi for a week now!
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos