Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FX1816

Re: Northwest Orient and Northwest Airlines

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:41 pm

RetiredWeasel wrote:
EBiafore99 wrote:
So I live in Detroit and remember the Northwest-Republic merger. At first, the word "Republic" was simply covered with "Northwest Orient". Then, as the new livery came out (which was the bowling shoe), "Orient" was dropped.

My memory of your timeline is a little different and I was flying them during the livery changes. "Orient" was dropped well before the 'bowling shoe" livery, may 2 to 3 years. "Orient" on many aircraft was just taken off. The 727's we flew out of Guam (93/94) were all former Republic/Hughes Airwest and had this logo:

Yeah I don't believe the former Republic planes received the Northwest Orient titles, just Northwest titles. The bowling shoe livery debuted in 1989, 3 years after the merger with Republic. On a side note though, I really liked the Northwest Orient/Northwest livery but it seemed as though they never polished up the silver top and bottom of the aircraft. They always just seemed more dull than say American.

DFW17L

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:45 pm

NWA sported the smoky-eye look long before it became a fashion statement early in the twenty first century.

MohawkWeekend

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:18 pm

I guess soap/water and the labor cost more than jet fuel in the 60's so who needed clean planes!
    300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11

departedflights

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:45 pm

FX1816 wrote:
    RetiredWeasel wrote:
    EBiafore99 wrote:
    So I live in Detroit and remember the Northwest-Republic merger. At first, the word "Republic" was simply covered with "Northwest Orient". Then, as the new livery came out (which was the bowling shoe), "Orient" was dropped.

My memory of your timeline is a little different and I was flying them during the livery changes. "Orient" was dropped well before the 'bowling shoe" livery, may 2 to 3 years. "Orient" on many aircraft was just taken off. The 727's we flew out of Guam (93/94) were all former Republic/Hughes Airwest and had this logo:

Yeah I don't believe the former Republic planes received the Northwest Orient titles, just Northwest titles. The bowling shoe livery debuted in 1989, 3 years after the merger with Republic. On a side note though, I really liked the Northwest Orient/Northwest livery but it seemed as though they never polished up the silver top and bottom of the aircraft. They always just seemed more dull than say American.

"Orient" was dropped when the merger took place so I doubt any former Republic Aircraft would have ever had "Orient" placed on them.

I have two Northwest timetables from that time.

The timetable dated June 5, 1986 still has "Northwest Orient" on the cover.

The next timetable that was issued was October 1, 1986 (the day Republic's operations officially became part of Northwest) and the word "Orient" is gone.

So it appears that the first day of integrated operations was the first day that "Orient" was dropped.

The next livery and logo change (the bowling shoe) would not be introduced until 1989.
    The opinions are expressed are my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my coworkers or my employer.

EBiafore99

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:44 am

FX1816 wrote:
    RetiredWeasel wrote:
    EBiafore99 wrote:

I'm talking immediately after the merger, before the bowling shoe came in. But you're right, NW dropped Orient when the merger closed, so no Republic planes ever had "Orient". I'm thinking it may have been original NW aircraft before they were painted in the bowling shoe.

klm617

Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:00 am

EBiafore99 wrote:
    FX1816 wrote:
    RetiredWeasel wrote:

I'm talking immediately after the merger, before the bowling shoe came in. But you're right, NW dropped Orient when the merger closed, so no Republic planes ever had "Orient". I'm thinking it may have been original NW aircraft before they were painted in the bowling shoe.

Yes some of the DC-10's had Orient painted on them well into the merger.
    the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

n7371f

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:37 am

Orient was dropped the day of the merger. Technically it was determined during the approval process to name the combined carrier "Northwest" once approved and rolled out to the public.

MohawkWeekend

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:00 pm

Just to confirm - wasn't NWA an all Boeing fleet until the DC-10's showed up and the Republic buyout? IIRC every other major operated a twin jet except NWA. Wonder what their fleet planners were thinking - did they feel that the weather and range needs required 3 engines? And then they were the largest DC-9 operator.
      300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11

ACPainterNigel

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:03 am

tootallsd wrote:
      Cointrin330 wrote:
      It was also dropped because the word "Orient" has certain inappropriate connotations and is, among other things, a generic, Colonial era reference to the entire region and by the time NW dropped it, it was no longer a term that should be used to reference Asia.

I definitely agree with your statement and the characterization of the use of the word orient. However it was replaced by the also unfortunate NWA logo -- made me first think of the rap group of the same name.

The NWA logo came 3 years after ''Orient'' was dropped. I only know that because I painted a few DC-9'S at Paine Field in Everett, Wa. that where acquired from Republic Airlines. Along being a painter the
      dreaded task of buffing the bare skin and leading edges turns into a work out.

n7371f

Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:14 am

For a period, yes NWA was all Boeing. But they did fly DC-8's for a short time in the 60's.

MohawkWeekend wrote:
      Just to confirm - wasn't NWA an all Boeing fleet until the DC-10's showed up and the Republic buyout? IIRC every other major operated a twin jet except NWA. Wonder what their fleet planners were thinking - did they feel that the weather and range needs required 3 engines? And then they were the largest DC-9 operator.

DL_Mech

Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:20 am

ACPainterNigel wrote:
      Along being a painter the dreaded task of buffing the bare skin and leading edges turns into a work out.

Welcome to the forums, Nigel.
      This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

VC10DC10

Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:32 pm

n7371f wrote:
      For a period, yes NWA was all Boeing. But they did fly DC-8's for a short time in the 60's.

MohawkWeekend wrote:

It would have been a very short period that NWA would have been all-Boeing, in 1972--NWA kept some Electras in service in the early 70s. I believe they were traded to McDD as part of the deal for the DC-10s.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos