Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BOSAero
Topic Author

Hawaiian to cut workforce by 35%

Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:50 am

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/hawai ... workforce/

The 35% number is variable depending on how many employees opt for the retirement option. Also, 35% number came from internal communication sent to employees.

With Hawaiian Airlines mostly serving leisure travel, how fast or slow can a recovery to pre-covid levels be expected?

Would anyone here consider a Hawaiian vacation in the near future?

32andBelow

Re: Hawaiian to cut workforce by 35%

Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:45 am

A retirement would still be a reduction fo workforce and the loss of a position

KFTG

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:04 am

BOSAero wrote:

Sign me up.

MIflyer12

Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:09 pm

WARN Act notices have been sent.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/07/3 ... f-notices/

The sending of a notice doesn't finalize the number, not for October 1, December 1, nor any other date.

brilondon

Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:36 pm

I thought Hawaii was closed to out of state visitors.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

roadrunner165

Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:19 pm

Last I heard the 14 day mandatory quarantine was ending Sept 1.

And my wife and son have a trip planned to Honolulu in February — so yes, people are still planning trips.

FlyHossD

Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:42 pm

brilondon wrote:

My understanding is that Hawaii isn't closed, but a 14 day quarantine is required for out-of-state visitors.

My wife and I had discussed a trip to Hawaii this month, but that was before Governor Ige extended the quarantine date.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Cubsrule

Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:50 pm

KFTG wrote:
BOSAero wrote:

Sign me up.

I’m generally firmly in the Caribbean beach vacation camp, but I expect there’s going to be a period in 2021 - and maybe longer than just in 2021 - where Hawaii is going to be a lot safer from a COVID perspective than some of the Caribbean “usual suspects.”
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:57 pm

Hawaii tourism will likely ramp-up pretty quickly when they are at a point to end the 14-day arrival quarantine. While that is extended currently through Sept 1, there is likely a good chance it could be extended out further. Probably for good measure, as many tourism destinations in the US have been overrun with visitors this summer and have local outbreaks caused by visitors.
The Hawaiian islands have their own set of challenges more so than mainland locations.

Although it will likely pick-u fairly quickly, there is a faction of the population that is either not going to travel until a "vaccine". I doubt too many of the tours / busses / retiree groups are going to come back too quickly. Mass-tourism recovery isn't coming back even in 2021 at this point.

At this point, Hawaii tourism is probably looking at a real restart for Feb/March 2021.

BOSAero
Topic Author

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:18 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
brilondon wrote:

My understanding is that Hawaii isn't closed, but a 14 day quarantine is required for out-of-state visitors.

My wife and I had discussed a trip to Hawaii this month, but that was before Governor Ige extended the quarantine date.

The state government is exploring the option to remove the 14 day quarantine requirement for out of state visitors if they provide a negative covid test 48 hrs prior to travel to the islands. All that stands in the way is the cost of the test and the risk of anyone contracting the virus in those 48 hrs prior to travel to the islands.

Hawaii has enjoyed low virus numbers but they have spiked significantly in the past couple of weeks due to people ignoring the 14 day quarantine. the state is now aggressively enforcing the 14 day quarantine rule. People are going to jail for ignoring it.

As far as Hawaiian Airlines is concerned, they maintain that they are working closely with the governors office to help find the best possible solution to this in order to restore the tourism industry. They are in no way pressuring the governor to hastily lift the quarantine requirements and risk a heavier spike in cases. "So they say"

wnflyguy

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:21 pm

The state of Hawaii shooting for September 2 to start a mandatory temperature checks before You board all Mainland and international flights to the Islands. In addition all passengers will be required to show medical test records of a negative COVID. Any passengers showing symptoms in transit will require the arriving flight to have temperatures rechecked at deplaning.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

MKIAZ

Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:00 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
KFTG wrote:
BOSAero wrote:

Sign me up.

I’m generally firmly in the Caribbean beach vacation camp, but I expect there’s going to be a period in 2021 - and maybe longer than just in 2021 - where Hawaii is going to be a lot safer from a COVID perspective than some of the Caribbean “usual suspects.”

Hawaii has done just about the best of any state due to their isolation. The problem is as soon as people start coming, the virus will start spreading there - as it's running rampant on the mainland. At this point 14 day quarantine is really the only option. Tests are relatively unreliable with a high false negative rate.

The type of people willing to get tested so they can get on a plane to Hawaii right now are the high risk people that are probably also going out to restaurants bars ect.

The type of people who are taking lots of precautions against the virus and being careful wouldn't dream of getting on a plane until this is resolved.

Hawaii made a choice. Tourism $$$ or the lives of their citizens. They were one of the few places in the US to actually make the right one.

MKIAZ

Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:01 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
The state of Hawaii shooting for September 2 to start a mandatory temperature checks before You board all Mainland and international flights to the Islands. In addition all passengers will be required to show medical test records of a negative COVID. Any passengers showing symptoms in transit will require the arriving flight to have temperatures rechecked at deplaning.

Flyguy

Temperature checks are fairly useless with COVID due to the asymptomatic transmission.

Cubsrule

Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:07 pm

MKIAZ wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
KFTG wrote:
Sign me up.

Hawaii has done just about the best of any state due to their isolation. The problem is as soon as people start coming, the virus will start spreading there - as it's running rampant on the mainland. At this point 14 day quarantine is really the only option. Tests are relatively unreliable with a high false negative rate.

The type of people willing to get tested so they can get on a plane to Hawaii right now are the high risk people that are probably also going out to restaurants bars ect.

The type of people who are taking lots of precautions against the virus and being careful wouldn't dream of getting on a plane until this is resolved.

Hawaii made a choice. Tourism $$$ or the lives of their citizens. They were one of the few places in the US to actually make the right one.

I don’t really understand much of your post because going to restaurants is not a “high risk” activity and travel to Hawaii is expensive enough that it cuts out a large swath of the population, but putting that aside I’m speaking of a time period where there is a vaccine in wide circulation in the States but not in much of the Caribbean. I expect that’s likely to be the state of play at some point in 2021.

x1234

Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:34 pm

One thing that can increase yields is to make the JFK and BOS flights connect with the SYD, BNE and AKL flights. New York to Sydney is really expensive even in J Pre-Corona. Right now only the West Coast flights connect with the Oceania flights.

32andBelow

Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:01 pm

Tbh Hawaii would be a great socially distanced vacation. Lots of open space and beaches. Well for the other islands. Not so much the main drag in HNL

Silver1SWA

Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:03 pm

BOSAero wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
brilondon wrote:

Hawaii has enjoyed low virus numbers but they have spiked significantly in the past couple of weeks due to people ignoring the 14 day quarantine. the state is now aggressively enforcing the 14 day quarantine rule. People are going to jail for ignoring it.

Hawaii (Oahu more specifically) is currently experiencing a surge in numbers due to community spread. Every time the numbers go up the people blame the visitors for ignoring quarantine. While violators have been a problem since the beginning, the virus is starting to run wild because people have become complacent, acting like everything is back to normal and are engaging in large private social gatherings. Everyone blames the tourists and there’s been a lot of pushback against the proposed testing plan but in my opinion with how the virus is spreading within the local communities a visitor tested within the last 72 hours with a negative result is safer to interact with than a fellow member of the community who hasn’t been tested.

People have been very good about following distancing and mask wearing in businesses since day 1 and it helped keep numbers down. They nearly wiped it out with active cases down to 25 in late May. But since Memorial Day and July 4, the numbers have consistently gone up.

As for the September 1 partial reopening of tourism, I wouldn’t count on that. The testing plan was originally set to start August 1 but they pushed the date back tentatively to September 1 because they didn’t have all the resources in place, and daily case numbers had jumped to 20-30 per day. The past few days the daily numbers have been over 100. So the situation is getting worse. I expect the start date to be delayed again.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Aptivaboy

Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:05 pm

Absolutely! In fact, I already have a rental condo in Napili reserved mere yards away from The Gazebo.
https://www.mauihawaii.org/gazebo-menu/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... awaii.html

Next Spring Break will be awesome! I have 104,000 Hawaiian Miles and 160,000 United Miles, so I'll be flying (nearly) free to the Islands and back.

Aptivaboy

Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:10 pm

Hawaii (Oahu more specifically) is currently experiencing a surge in numbers due to community spread. Every time the numbers go up the people blame the visitors for ignoring quarantine. While violators have been a problem since the beginning, the virus is starting to run wild because people have become complacent, acting like everything is back to normal and are engaging in large private social gatherings. Everyone blames the tourists and there’s been a lot of pushback against the proposed testing plan but in my opinion with how the virus is spreading within the local communities a visitor tested within the last 72 hours with a negative result is safer to interact with than a fellow member of the community who hasn’t been tested.

I think you're right. There was a 40 car, 100+ person party at a beach park in Kauai a week or so ago, no social distancing norms or anything. According to news reports, they were all locals. If the Covid result spike upwards, I sure hope the locals don't continue to blame tourists. Its like on the Mainland where over the past two months the Covid positive numbers for people in the '20s and early '30s have really surged - the prime age for most of the protestors out every night across the country. Go out in large groups, get the virus. It really isn't that hard to figure out.

Cubsrule

Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:57 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:

I think you're right. There was a 40 car, 100+ person party at a beach park in Kauai a week or so ago, no social distancing norms or anything. According to news reports, they were all locals. If the Covid result spike upwards, I sure hope the locals don't continue to blame tourists. Its like on the Mainland where over the past two months the Covid positive numbers for people in the '20s and early '30s have really surged - the prime age for most of the protestors out every night across the country. Go out in large groups, get the virus. It really isn't that hard to figure out.

The evidence is getting clear on the Mainland that the problem amongst folks who don't live or work in a high-risk setting (prisons, nursing homes, meat and poultry plants) is largely bars and house parties and, consequently, is among the 20 to 35ish population. Perhaps my view is skewed because I never went to Hawaii as a young person, but I don't feel like that scene is very prevalent for tourists in Hawaii.

usxguy

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:13 pm

x1234 wrote:
One thing that can increase yields is to make the JFK and BOS flights connect with the SYD, BNE and AKL flights. New York to Sydney is really expensive even in J Pre-Corona. Right now only the West Coast flights connect with the Oceania flights.

Except for the Aussie & NZ borders being locked shut for the forseeable future. I think they said until at least mid 2021.
xx

seat1a

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:45 pm

usxguy wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Except for the Aussie & NZ borders being locked shut for the forseeable future. I think they said until at least mid 2021.

I read Qantas saying it was March 2021 at the earliest. Anyone know if there are significant staff cuts coming, too?

MIflyer12

Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:59 pm

x1234 wrote:

Have JFK & BOS ever been timed to connect to BNL/SYD/AKL? How many U.S. visitors do you think Australia and New Zealand are getting these days?

eamondzhang

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:16 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Have JFK & BOS ever been timed to connect to BNL/SYD/AKL? How many U.S. visitors do you think Australia and New Zealand are getting these days?

Pre-COVID a lot of them from US I can tell you that, US is the main source for clients travelling at my company during high season, and in addition to normal tourists an awful lot of them also flew down here for cruise. Normally Princess can have 1/3 of their ship filled with people from USA, and even more so for Holland America, Celebrity and other hihg-end brands.

I have seen Majestic Princess (a cruise ship ship with 3,500 pax capacity) regularly had more than 1,000 pax coming from the States on a regular basis. IMO that's a lot of people.

Michael

airlineaddict

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:37 am

BOSAero wrote:

Definitely. I was looking to rent a beach house on Maui where I could isolate and work remotely, but the State of HI clarified that the 14-day quarantine had to be at a hotel or motel. If the new rules do kick in September, I'm looking to take a trip.

Flflyer83

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:58 am

BOSAero wrote:
The state government is exploring the option to remove the 14 day quarantine requirement for out of state visitors if they provide a negative covid test 48 hrs prior to travel to the islands. All that stands in the way is the cost of the test and the risk of anyone contracting the virus in those 48 hrs prior to travel to the islands.

The collection of the sample within 48 hours prior to departure... with the vast majority of tests outside of hospitals taking 10+ days to get results right now, good luck.

caribny

Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:54 am

Cubsrule wrote:
KFTG wrote:
BOSAero wrote:

Sign me up.

Which "usual" suspect? Aside from PR and DR the Caribbean ranks as one of the safest on the planet. Their exposure is directly correlated to US visitors. Punta Cana isnt the only Caribbean destination.

JayinKitsap

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:26 am

Taking the car down the Coast from Washington, staying at small places along the way with kitchens. A lot of people here are doing RV vacations this summer.

Sorry, hanging out to board at the airport, be in a 6 hour packed flight to hawaii, then deal with the whole HNL scene worrying about the virus - not me.

rbavfan

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:13 am

Aptivaboy wrote:

Most of the protestors are wearing mask. I have done photography for the club scene in AZ for years. I get messages all the time about the great party we are doing tonight, please come by and photo it. Then see pics on facebook of large groups, no mask, making out and they all say were young it's the old people getting sick or so we get sick at least were having fun. So blame the young stupid party scene where the age group os that of the biggest spreads. We keep getting spikes right after holidays. That tells you it's not the protestors.

rbavfan

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:27 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

I think you meant BNE. BNL is in South Carolina with the longest runway of just over 5100 ft. I doubt they could do the HNL-BDL route. Especially westbound.

myki

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:46 am

usxguy wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Not locked shut for Australians, New Zealanders, partners, etc. etc. Not sure on AKL rulings, but with Australia limiting number of pax per aircraft (approx 50) in to SYD and BNE (MEL currently closed) then yes, a 'premium' could be added to the fare to make sure you can get in. Pay up, or stay States-side for the forseeable future.

KFTG

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:24 am

MKIAZ wrote:
Temperature checks are fairly useless with COVID due to the asymptomatic transmission.

Whatever we have to do to make the Karens of the world "feel safe", the better.

Silver1SWA

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:23 am

rbavfan wrote:
Aptivaboy wrote:

Most of the protestors are wearing mask. I have done photography for the club scene in AZ for years. I get messages all the time about the great party we are doing tonight, please come by and photo it. Then see pics on facebook of large groups, no mask, making out and they all say were young it's the old people getting sick or so we get sick at least were having fun. So blame the young stupid party scene where the age group os that of the biggest spreads. We keep getting spikes right after holidays. That tells you it's not the protestors.

Blame it all. I don’t understand why protests get some magical safeties. Look at any photo of the protests and you’ll see a number of protesters without masks or masks pulled down usually while yelling. The only thing saving protests is they’re outdoors which seems to be the safest place to do anything. But we need to stop pretending they aren’t contributing. The poster is right, gather in large groups, catch the virus. The virus doesn’t care why.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

usa330300

Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:59 am

32andBelow wrote:

Many companies attempt to limit involuntary furloughs and/or layoffs by offering, mostly senior, employees a package to take a leave. Some packages are for temporary leaves whilst others are a full fledged retirement package with no recall rights.

Cubsrule

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:07 pm

caribny wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
KFTG wrote:
Sign me up.

Which "usual" suspect? Aside from PR and DR the Caribbean ranks as one of the safest on the planet. Their exposure is directly correlated to US visitors. Punta Cana isnt the only Caribbean destination.

Again, I’m not talking about today. I’m talking about a period in which a vaccine is in wide circulation in the US but not in many lower- and middle-income places.

frmrCapCadet

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:36 pm

JayinKitsap wrote:
Taking the car down the Coast from Washington, staying at small places along the way with kitchens. A lot of people here are doing RV vacations this summer.

Sorry, hanging out to board at the airport, be in a 6 hour packed flight to hawaii, then deal with the whole HNL scene worrying about the virus - not me.

Wife and I are considering this, because of age we need a step up in precautions. What sort will you be following?

A more on topic note: I could see Hawaii subsidizing a local who would pick up a tourist family, drive them to their cabin/condo along with their groceries all sacked up. 'Babysit' them throughout with drives to appropriately isolated places, pick up takeout food, drive them for any needed medical care. Provide a little cheer up visits, and document all of this. It could be a great and memorable vacation, and only a little more expensive than usual.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

CLJFlyer

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:20 pm

I have a one week vacation planned in HNL starting 10/16. Hoping I'll still be able to go.

airportugal310

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:26 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

To answer your first question...no they have not. The BOS/JFK flights typically arrived into HNL anywhere from 1400-1530, depending on the season. The AKL/BNE/SYD flights all departed anywhere from 1230-1430, so no same day connections. That said, with the "free" stopover offered by HA, Australia and NZ visitors would in fact fly in from JFK or BOS on any given day, then connect some days later to their home cities.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

32andBelow

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:32 pm

usa330300 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Many companies attempt to limit involuntary furloughs and/or layoffs by offering, mostly senior, employees a package to take a leave. Some packages are for temporary leaves whilst others are a full fledged retirement package with no recall rights.

I get that. But it’s still a lost job even if no one is fired.

Aptivaboy

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:00 pm

With the greatest of respect, we clearly aren't watching the same news feeds. Its a combination of things - the party scene, sheer stupidity, and yes, the protests. However, when you have hundreds and even thousands of protesters out bumping shoulders within inches or less of each other, that's a lot more potential exposures than a large block party, masked or not. When the riots (that's what they were) started out here in LA, the local news channels covered in live and in detail. At least half of the people weren't masked and it went on for days and days... Right after that, the SoCal Covid numbers spiked. Coincidence? I think not. If it was all about masks, then no one would be afraid to touch the armrests on jetliners or seats at an airport. No, its about more than simple masks.

I'm a high school teacher. I keep up with what my current and former students are doing. Let me tell you, they're doing all of the above without masks - parties, the beach, and yes, some serious protests. One of my former students was arrested for rioting and (we think) is under investigation for arson. He was filmed. No mask. Yes, that's anecdotal but hey, its happening.

JayinKitsap

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:08 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:

Wife and I are considering this, because of age we need a step up in precautions. What sort will you be following?

We are doing car trips. Between hotels.com for the rooms (been getting good view rooms like in Hood River, Oregon that normally cater to the destination wedding places that no weddings allowed in Oregon) just 1 to 2 weeks out. Check the Covid data for the area, avoid counties that have higher risk. Select a room with outside access, the old motel style or cabins / condos with exterior access. Stores there are like the ones at home, we'll eat out but select places that are open or outdoor, at least with good distancing. Skipping the Red Lobster, helping the little family owned places.

usxguy

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:40 pm

Hawaiian is going to come out of this a new business. And, smaller, like all the other airlines. Hawai'i is being VERY serious about covid and the locals do NOT want anyone that's haole around. Facebook is full of pictures of tourists out and about, quarantine breakers, etc. Talks of putting tracking bracelets on tourists. Shaming on social media. Screaming matches in parking lots. This is going to leave a scar. The spirit of aloha is pau.

Inter-island is one thing, but transpac we're going to see a lot more shrinkage. It would not surprise me if we see a reduction in the A330 fleet and focus on the A321 neos moving forward.
xx

FlyingElvii

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:47 pm

x1234 wrote:

Australia is not opening to non-citizens for the foreseeable future.

They are blaming the latest clusters on non-Australian flight crews, and crew hotel staff not following thier own cleaning procedures.

airportugal310

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:51 pm

usxguy wrote:
Hawaiian is going to come out of this a new business. And, smaller, like all the other airlines. Hawai'i is being VERY serious about covid and the locals do NOT want anyone that's haole around. Facebook is full of pictures of tourists out and about, quarantine breakers, etc. Talks of putting tracking bracelets on tourists. Shaming on social media. Screaming matches in parking lots. This is going to leave a scar. The spirit of aloha is pau.

Inter-island is one thing, but transpac we're going to see a lot more shrinkage. It would not surprise me if we see a reduction in the A330 fleet and focus on the A321 neos moving forward.

C'mon...don't be naive...you and I both know (guessing you live here in HI like me) that the locals are behaving just as bad, if not worse...

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/08/0 ... es-covid-/

Can't blame the tourists on that...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Silver1SWA

Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
usxguy wrote:

C'mon...don't be naive...you and I both know (guessing you live here in HI like me) that the locals are behaving just as bad, if not worse...

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/08/0 ... es-covid-/

Can't blame the tourists on that...

Sadly that’s exactly what they’re doing. Look at every comment section under each article/tweet/social media post, even from Lt. Gov. Josh Green who clearly states it’s the result of irresponsibility and community spread and there’s a whole lot of shouting to stop all travel to the islands. Locals just don’t want to hear it. It’s frustrating.

ScottB

Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:27 pm

usxguy wrote:
the locals do NOT want anyone that's haole around. Facebook is full of pictures of tourists out and about, quarantine breakers, etc. Talks of putting tracking bracelets on tourists. Shaming on social media. Screaming matches in parking lots. This is going to leave a scar. The spirit of aloha is pau.

This really shouldn't be any surprise given that "haole" already had a negative connotation. Want someone to blame for Covid? Blame the haoles for giving it to the kama'aina. Can't have people taking responsibility for their own actions -- the "others"/"outsiders" have to be blamed.

Close to a quarter of Hawaii's gross domestic product stems from tourism. Cut that to zero and there will be severe dislocation once government supports (PPP, PSP, enhanced unemployment, stimulus checks) end. If Hawaii gets a reputation for being hostile to tourists, it will take a long time to bring people back, especially at Hawaii prices. That does not bode well for HA.

Nonrevhell

Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:01 am

MKIAZ wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
KFTG wrote:
Sign me up.

I've already had Covid, will I be able to present an antibody test result?

Laulau

Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:33 am

ScottB wrote:
usxguy wrote:
the locals do NOT want anyone that's haole around. Facebook is full of pictures of tourists out and about, quarantine breakers, etc. Talks of putting tracking bracelets on tourists. Shaming on social media. Screaming matches in parking lots. This is going to leave a scar. The spirit of aloha is pau.

This really shouldn't be any surprise given that "haole" already had a negative connotation. Want someone to blame for Covid? Blame the haoles for giving it to the kama'aina. Can't have people taking responsibility for their own actions -- the "others"/"outsiders" have to be blamed.

Close to a quarter of Hawaii's gross domestic product stems from tourism. Cut that to zero and there will be severe dislocation once government supports (PPP, PSP, enhanced unemployment, stimulus checks) end. If Hawaii gets a reputation for being hostile to tourists, it will take a long time to bring people back, especially at Hawaii prices. That does not bode well for HA.

What a blanket statement "no haoleʻs around". Itʻs not haoleʻs but people that don't respect the aina and are disrespectful (i.e. Mainland tourist). Yes there are cases of locals being irresponsible but the MAJORITY are of tourist blatantly breaking quarantine laws and posting it on social media.
Are these the kind of tourist Hawaii wants? Let them go to Mexico or other places.
I would rather have Japanesse tourist because they respect authority and wear mask! Don't need selfish Me-first tourist that don't want obey laws and disrespect locals.

usxguy

Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:17 am

ScottB wrote:
usxguy wrote:

A close friend works for a state senator and has some amazing stats. The issue is many locals ARE ignoring the rules & quarantine; in fact the first 20 or so cases were from LOCALS that didn't really quarantine when they got back from the Mainland. Most of that is unfortunately due to how many Hawaiians and their ohana live... multiple generations under one roof.

My point is the ugliness of what's happening to the tourists. I don't think a day goes by that I read about something in the paper about a tourist and whatnot; I think lately its been some tourists to Maui that broke quarantine and have warrants out for their arrests. I think I see a handful of those posts each day.

Switching gears to Alaska - the quarantine violation is HIGH, but not a single judge has tried anyone, and not a single prosecutor has filed a complaint against a tourist. Its meant to be a scary BARK rather than a BITE which is what we are seeing in Hawai'i. I think it will stain people's thoughts about the islands and there will be some significant adjustments to tourism moving forward.

Add in all the NEW restrictions on AirBNB, and I think we may have seen HI's US tourism peak for a while. And that may mean airlines like HA & UA no longer fly widebodies to the isles.

A few hours ago, my FB and Twitter lit up from people on Lana`i. Apparently someone on the island has COVID and didn't tell anyone. Pitchforks came out screaming at Hawaiian Ohana and Mokulele (all the posts have been removed) blaming the two airlines. More and more comments and hatred... and then.. boom. it was a construction worker who lives on O'ahu that flew in Sunday. Now imagine you are a tourist and looking at Lana`i and these threads appear from social media... you are going to start looking elsewhere, and quickly.
xx

aloha73g

Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:43 am

Let’s hope Hawaii tourism shrinks. The past few years have been out of control. This has been a great breather, and wakeup call on many levels. I for one would be VERY happy if tourism shrank 50%. Pretty much everyone I know feels this way. I don’t know how we get there, but I think it needs to happen.
-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos