Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
DLX737200
Topic Author
Posts: 1665
Joined: Tue May 29, 2001 6:42 am

Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:33 am

Just noticed this flight on FlightAware:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA7554

Why is N856GT, an Atlas 747-8F, making a flight under the Qantas call sign? Obviously Qantas has contracted Atlas to fly freight from ORD to HNL but why do they use the QFA call sign?
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1785
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:46 am

It's a wet-lease for QFA flying QFA's route under QFA traffic right, so it's common to use the lessee's callsign.

Michael
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1394
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:03 am

QF have two wet leased. They usually have an "Operated for QANTAS" sticker near the main door.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8342
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:06 am

Atlas and Qantas have been doing this for years and years, close to a decade. The flights are Qantas flights in every sense apart from using Atlas aircraft and pilots.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1394
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 am

Also, I think you'll find that, although it's a QF flight number, it's an Atlas callsign.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
Sancho99504
Posts: 707
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:44 pm

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:50 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Atlas and Qantas have been doing this for years and years, close to a decade. The flights are Qantas flights in every sense apart from using Atlas aircraft and pilots.

Over a decade. Used to work the turn at ORD every week in 2006-7. Interestingly, we loaded horses and high end sports cars frequently.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC
 
factsonly
Posts: 2958
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:53 am

ATLAS wet-leases freighter aircraft to multiple airlines to add short-term additional lift or for long-term leases.

Lately its B747-400F N419MC has been operating for AF/KLM/Martinair on a MIA-AMS-MIA-BOG-MIA-AMS routing.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n419mc
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3165
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:40 pm

DLX737200 wrote:
Just noticed this flight on FlightAware:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA7554

Why is N856GT, an Atlas 747-8F, making a flight under the Qantas call sign? Obviously Qantas has contracted Atlas to fly freight from ORD to HNL but why do they use the QFA call sign?


This info is freely available online like here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Freight
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4936
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:05 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
Also, I think you'll find that, although it's a QF flight number, it's an Atlas callsign.

Nope They fly under QANTAS call sign.
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 1139
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:50 pm

Atlas Air 747-8F N854GT and N856GT are both leased by Qantas and have an ‘Operated for Qantas’ sticker near the door as mentioned previously.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell BA/KL 744s
 
wjcandee
Posts: 8952
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:18 pm

Yeah, okay. But you don't need a long-term wet lease with a sticker by the door to fly under somebody else's callsign. If you're doing subservice for them, that will often be the case as well. And certainly with Military. Used to be all sorts of flights by CRAF participants were "Reach" flights, until AMC decided that it should reserve Reach for organic military flights and created "Camber" for contract military flights. So, a flight under the Camber call sign could be a charter of an aircraft and crew from Atlas, Western Global, ABX Air, ATI, Kalitta, United, American, Miami Air, etc. When SunJet used to use subservice all the time when its planes were broken, you'd see a Sun Pacific (or even United) aircraft at the gate, operating a flight under the SunJet callsign. Years ago at MDW, I seem to recall something about Northwest doing subservice for another carrier on occasion (maybe Kiwi, maybe Midway Airlines, I just have to remember). If you're protecting another carrier's flight, you will sometimes be using their callsign.

On the Camber flights, it isn't uncommon to see the aircraft move under the chartered airline's callsign when moving into and out of position (for which they are paid by the military), and use the Camber callsign when on the live leg.

And of course AAWW aircraft painted "Atlas" very often operate under the Polar callsign. Since the crews are merged under one contract, they're interchangeable. It's not some big deal like "OMG, they're USING ANOTHER AIRLINE'S CALLSIGN!!"

The only real issue is that it's another thing for ATC to remember and sometimes there's a concern about passenger confusion as to who is actually operating the aircraft that they are flying on (more an issue with the Express carriers), hence the "Operated by" sticker requirement next to the passenger entry door under certain circumstances.
 
FX1816
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:02 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:48 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Yeah, okay. But you don't need a long-term wet lease with a sticker by the door to fly under somebody else's callsign. If you're doing subservice for them, that will often be the case as well. And certainly with Military. Used to be all sorts of flights by CRAF participants were "Reach" flights, until AMC decided that it should reserve Reach for organic military flights and created "Camber" for contract military flights. So, a flight under the Camber call sign could be a charter of an aircraft and crew from Atlas, Western Global, ABX Air, ATI, Kalitta, United, American, Miami Air, etc. When SunJet used to use subservice all the time when its planes were broken, you'd see a Sun Pacific (or even United) aircraft at the gate, operating a flight under the SunJet callsign. Years ago at MDW, I seem to recall something about Northwest doing subservice for another carrier on occasion (maybe Kiwi, maybe Midway Airlines, I just have to remember). If you're protecting another carrier's flight, you will sometimes be using their callsign.

On the Camber flights, it isn't uncommon to see the aircraft move under the chartered airline's callsign when moving into and out of position (for which they are paid by the military), and use the Camber callsign when on the live leg.

And of course AAWW aircraft painted "Atlas" very often operate under the Polar callsign. Since the crews are merged under one contract, they're interchangeable. It's not some big deal like "OMG, they're USING ANOTHER AIRLINE'S CALLSIGN!!"

The only real issue is that it's another thing for ATC to remember and sometimes there's a concern about passenger confusion as to who is actually operating the aircraft that they are flying on (more an issue with the Express carriers), hence the "Operated by" sticker requirement next to the passenger entry door under certain circumstances.



Interestingly, at ONT, during Christmas rush GTI would run daily for UPS but use the "Giant" callsign but they also operated a daily 747 for FedEx and it operated as FDX415 ONT-MEM in the morning. It confused the new trainees we had training on Ground Control as "FedEx" 415 heavy would call for taxi but they would see no FedEx painted planes ready to taxi.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 8952
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:06 pm

FX1816 wrote:

The only real issue is that it's another thing for ATC to remember and sometimes there's a concern about passenger confusion as to who is actually operating the aircraft that they are flying on (more an issue with the Express carriers), hence the "Operated by" sticker requirement next to the passenger entry door under certain circumstances.



Interestingly, at ONT, during Christmas rush GTI would run daily for UPS but use the "Giant" callsign but they also operated a daily 747 for FedEx and it operated as FDX415 ONT-MEM in the morning. It confused the new trainees we had training on Ground Control as "FedEx" 415 heavy would call for taxi but they would see no FedEx painted planes ready to taxi.[/quote]

Exactly the kind of thing I was talking about, because it's exactly the kind of thing I had heard about. Hence the tail numbers in the info that controllers have available. You and I would see an "MC" suffix, and look for an Atlas plane.
 
Allee
Posts: 565
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 1999 5:47 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:09 pm

I find it amusing that N855GT used to be in Atlas Air livery and N856GT was Polar Air Cargo, but now N855GT is Polar Air Cargo while N856GT is Atlas. Kind of a waste of money imo
 
jetskipper
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:50 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:18 am

In 2015-16 one of the Atlas/Qantas routings was TOL-ORD-HNL-SYD. Was pretty interesting to hear “Qantas xxx Heavy” checking on with Toledo Tracon.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3572
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:29 am

Another example is N487MC for Atlas Air. Because it flies under LY flight numbers, it uses an El Al callsign. As for the Qantas wet-lease, it's been for years. It used to utilize a B744 (typically N492/3MC in the past), but now has been up-gauged to a B748.

Now, if G*d forbid, there is an incident with the plane on a wet lease, it would go on the ledger of the airline leasing the capacity since the flight is under their callsign.
 
PhilMcCrackin
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 pm

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 am

I don't mean to be a dick, but maybe search next time? This question comes up on at least a monthly basis, if not weekly, and this service has existed for 15 years now.
 
mdavies06
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:28 pm

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:46 pm

You are absolutely correct. We just discussed this exact topic in July actually, though must say similar topic seems to come around more often recently due to COVID-19 perhaps:

viewtopic.php?t=1448195
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3165
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Atlas (GTI) Callsign "Qantas" (QFA)

Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:40 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
Also, I think you'll find that, although it's a QF flight number, it's an Atlas callsign.


:? :?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos