Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skydiamond
Topic Author

Eastern Airways plans LHR-Teesside

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:28 pm

https://www.easternairways.com/news/78/ ... rn-airways

Good to see an old BD domestic route return - albeit once daily!

Vasu

Re: London Heathrow (LHR) 2020 New Routes

Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:36 pm

Always good to see a new route rather than something getting cut. Is it the first time Eastern have operated to LHR?

Are there any other routes they’re set to start up?

superjeff

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:32 am

skydiamond wrote:
https://www.easternairways.com/news/78/major-boost-as-teesside-regains-london-heathrow-route-with-eastern-airways

Good to see an old BD domestic route return - albeit once daily!

In view of Covid19, it's pretty good to even have once daily. They can always add more service later, provided the economy recovers and they can get slots.

TheReckoner

Re: Eastern Airways plans LHR-Teesside

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:41 am

I'm pleased to see this route relaunched.

Will they be offering any connections onto long haul?

GVZZZ

Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:46 am

This is a once a day, middle of the day flight,operated from the Teesside end, and is currently advertised as being operated by the Embraer 170. There are no other Embraer 170 flights advertised from Teesside.

Eastern continue to serve Teesside to London City twice a day, continues to be advertised on the Saab 2000. The Saab does a middle of day rotation to Dublin, so on current schedules cannot operate the Heathrow flight.

Jetstream 41s operate everything else.

So it seems a little odd to go to Heathrow, particularly as there won't be a consistent set of connections off a once daily flight, interlining or not.

It seems likely that this flight is 'slot sitting' a middle of day pair for another airline that doesn't wish to use them in the short term.

Sure more will come out in the wash!

StTim

Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:57 am

My first flight was this route on a Viscount!

seansasLCY

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:13 am

GVZZZ wrote:
This is a once a day, middle of the day flight,operated from the Teesside end, and is currently advertised as being operated by the Embraer 170. There are no other Embraer 170 flights advertised from Teesside.

Eastern continue to serve Teesside to London City twice a day, continues to be advertised on the Saab 2000. The Saab does a middle of day rotation to Dublin, so on current schedules cannot operate the Heathrow flight.

Jetstream 41s operate everything else.

So it seems a little odd to go to Heathrow, particularly as there won't be a consistent set of connections off a once daily flight, interlining or not.

It seems likely that this flight is 'slot sitting' a middle of day pair for another airline that doesn't wish to use them in the short term.

Sure more will come out in the wash!

There's no need for slot sitting at the moment, the rules are suspended so Heathrow will let others use them as they are not being used. Think China Airlines moving to LHR for summer. This route is being paid for by the Mayor of Teeside who made the airport a big part of his campaign. Once the subsidy/slots end, the route will too.

darloscott

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:22 pm

Yes the mayor, and specifically the local ‘Tees Valley Combined Authority’ (Which he chairs) is partially funding a number of routes in a PSO-style contract with Eastern flying services to Aberdeen (these have been a long term feature), Alicante, Belfast, Dublin, London City, Newquay and Southampton in various frequencies. The Covid period has hit travel hard as we all know and the improved network was suspended after just 2 weeks, with the airport terminal closed not long after. The airfield at Teesside remained operational thanks to other operators. Since June they’ve been progressively adding more and more back in and flights to Newquay were announced to start in July, they’ve been a brilliant success and already had various upgrades to bigger aircraft (the Saab has done a few) due to high loads and also a third flight each week has now been added through August into September.
London City however hasn’t shared its success with the lack of business travel really showing. Heathrow is a hugely requested route and oddly the 2nd busiest destination for KLM flights out of Teesside. Bmi ran upto 5 flights a day at the peak of their operation on Teesside to Heathrow! Subject to slots and travel restrictions it may be an interesting one to watch. The other reason behind it may be to replace the London City route once the remaining Saab 2000 leaves Eastern’s fleet.
The Embraer 170 will operate the once daily flight to Heathrow but it was scheduled to operate the twice weekly flights to Alicante which have now been cancelled thanks to Covid.

redroo

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:51 pm

I am pleased that they’re having a go. I used to be a regular on the route many many years ago. When I lived in one part of London the train was easy, when I lived out west the plane was easier. Teesside was always easier than Newcastle. I wish them all the best.

Breathe

Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:11 pm

Good luck to Eastern and MME-LHR.

The crisis has really turned the aviation world upside down. If someone had said this time last year this route would be announced, I'm sure folk would be calling the men in white coats to take them away!

I guess we shouldn't be surprised about anything now. Whatever next, CWL-LHR, LIV-LHR, CAX-LHR?! :confused: :eek:

by738

Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:59 pm

The true test of time will be when the local subsidy runs out...
Really needs better timing and significant interlining to make this anywhere near a success.
Lets see how things lie in a year.

chonetsao

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:16 pm

Breathe wrote:

The crisis has really turned the aviation world upside down. If someone had said this time last year this route would be announced, I'm sure folk would be calling the men in white coats to take them away!

I guess we shouldn't be surprised about anything now. Whatever next, CWL-LHR, LIV-LHR, CAX-LHR?! :confused: :eek:

I would not mind a CWL-LHR. Great Western Railway is charging so much money for a return ticket, it is insane. Better to have some competition from aviation sector.

B757236GT

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:38 pm

Breathe wrote:

One could comment that BA already have CWL-LHR covered :lol:

David_itl

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:15 pm

Vasu wrote:
Always good to see a new route rather than something getting cut. Is it the first time Eastern have operated to LHR?

They did fly a DC3 from Norwich to LHR back in the day
https://www.freewebs.com/airhumberside/history.htm

davidjohnson6

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:21 pm

Flybe used to operate CWL-LCY - worked ok while there was major engineering work on the rail line between London and Cardiff, but was stopped long before Flybe went bust

darloscott

Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:08 am

Eastern have now pulled Teesside-London City from sale as of 31 August amid rumours of Heathrow going 3x daily from its start date of 14th September. That would see the end of Saab 2000 operations at the airline.

flipdewaf

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:30 pm

darloscott wrote:
Eastern have now pulled Teesside-London City from sale as of 31 August amid rumours of Heathrow going 3x daily from its start date of 14th September. That would see the end of Saab 2000 operations at the airline.

This is excellent news! Living in North Yorkshire and in normal times travelling more and more for work I have migrated to started my journeys from closer and closer to home. Flying to LHR from Leeds and getting to the world from there. In the last few years I have only flown once from MME in recent times (connecting in AMS) and whilst it isn’t the most modern of airports it is a nice experience.

MME holds a special place for me as it’s where I first ever flew from and where I got my license. I witnessed the decline from the glory days of 2007 right to the present through the years of it firmly looking like peel would rather it was an industrial estate and with a connection to LHR on a frequent basis it would be the new norm for me. The only thing in question is who and how they would interline/codeshare.

A BA codeshare would make it an instant win for me but we’d have to see.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airboeingbus

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:35 pm

Just checked the price £54.99 each way with 15kg of luggage. Considering the train for roughly the same route can be up to £70 each way that is really good

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos