Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airboss787

Re: Is there an airline worldwide that’s not losing money ?

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:03 am

ITSTours wrote:
Asiana released the official figure, they made profits (both net and operating). About 100 million USD.

Can you provide link regarding that number? The official Q1 numbers that I see have a very substantial loss with a 24% drop in revenue.

https://www.wsj.com/market-data/quotes/ ... financials

https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/company/i ... 0001215750

KE seems profitable on an operational as well as net basis.

Ishrion

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:16 pm

Mesa Air - $3.4 million net profit in the... third quarter of 2020?

Compared to a 3Q 2019 net profit of $3 million.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... sults.html

catiii

Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:55 pm

Exeiowa wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
If US carriers just didn't fly, they would not lose so much money.

They have to so their money making credit cards keep going! (thats a joke)

CARES Act payroll support is contingent on continuing to fly, and no US airline to my knowledge is doing any flying (of the flying they’re doing) that isn’t above BLF.

trex8

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:01 pm

more details on CI-operating and net profit, BR operating profit only

https://www.flightglobal.com/taiwanese- ... 43.article

China Airlines made an operating profit of NT$2.75 billion ($93.4 million), a significant increase from the NT$572 million profit it reported the same period last year.

Revenue for the period fell 38.6% to NT$26.3 billion, while costs and expenses decreased 44% year on year to NT$23.6 billion.

The SkyTeam carrier reported a net profit of NT$2.5 billion for the quarter, reversing the net loss of NT$442 million it made last year.

As for EVA Air, it saw its operating profit shrink to NT$184 million, compared to a NT$1.1 billion profit reported last year.

Revenue for the period fell about 56% to NT$19.3 billion, while costs and expenses tumbled 55.3% to NT$19.1 billion.

The carrier made a net loss of NT$613 million for the quarter, reversing the net profit of NT$33 million it made last year. Still, this was a smaller net loss compared to the earlier quarter, where it reported a NT$1.22 billion net loss.

andrew1996

Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:45 pm

trex8 wrote:

China Airlines made an operating profit of NT$2.75 billion ($93.4 million), a significant increase from the NT$572 million profit it reported the same period last year.

Revenue for the period fell 38.6% to NT$26.3 billion, while costs and expenses decreased 44% year on year to NT$23.6 billion.

The SkyTeam carrier reported a net profit of NT$2.5 billion for the quarter, reversing the net loss of NT$442 million it made last year.

As for EVA Air, it saw its operating profit shrink to NT$184 million, compared to a NT$1.1 billion profit reported last year.

Revenue for the period fell about 56% to NT$19.3 billion, while costs and expenses tumbled 55.3% to NT$19.1 billion.

The carrier made a net loss of NT$613 million for the quarter, reversing the net profit of NT$33 million it made last year. Still, this was a smaller net loss compared to the earlier quarter, where it reported a NT$1.22 billion net loss.

Iteresting CI performed better than BR when the latter I believe is considered better run. The latter probably has a disadvtange in not having A359 and only a handful of 789s so it relies on the larger 77W. But isn’t BR also big on cargo and they have more 77Ws. Is BR and CI a major player for North America to Asia (including South east Asia) cargo? Do they have cargo traffic rights from say PVG to LAX via TPE?

trex8

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:12 am

andrew1996 wrote:
trex8 wrote:

Iteresting CI performed better than BR when the latter I believe is considered better run. The latter probably has a disadvtange in not having A359 and only a handful of 789s so it relies on the larger 77W. But isn’t BR also big on cargo and they have more 77Ws. Is BR and CI a major player for North America to Asia (including South east Asia) cargo? Do they have cargo traffic rights from say PVG to LAX via TPE?

CI in "normal " years has 1/3 of its revenue from cargo. BR only less than 20%.
CI last year was #13 in FRTK and IIRC # 5 in tonnage , BR didnt even make the top 25.
While BR has lots of 77Ws, CI have 18 744Fs. You need almost 4 77Ws with its cargo holds totally carrying freight (no room for LD3 for luggage) to give you as much cargo volume as a single 744F flight.
https://www.aircargonews.net/airlines/t ... ar-climbs/

BR has expanded very quickly in recent years and brought on lots of 77Ws etc, yet despite this and flying more RPK as most of these planes are running long haul, they carry fewer passengers than CI and their yields are lower than CI. On total revenue, total pax carried CI is still bigger than BR, BR only beats CI on RPK flown.
You may be better run but your costs are high paying for brand new planes with probably more capacity than you really need and can only fill with low priced tickets.

chrisair

Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:44 am

I didn’t see anyone mention Netjets.

Strato2

Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:59 am

Air Koryo

gabrusha

Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:39 am

After years of being a passive Airliner.net user, time for a post!

I believe that Belavia (B3) is printing money. I never thought I'd fly them, but have taken two trips over the summer with them as they were the only airline I could use to go home and back to the country where I work at. Packed flights, lots of passengers buying additional luggage (at 50€/suitcase). In fact at the stopover in Minsk it seemed they were more worried about ensuring that excess luggage had been paid for than anything else!

Gabrusha

MartijnNL

Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:51 am

chrisair wrote:

Where did you look? It was mentioned nine posts above yours.

AngelsDecay wrote:
Quite not a kind of airline, but some Biz and Taxi such as NetJets and VistaJet are doing great these days, like some others on the BizJet market worldwide.

rajincajun01

Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:41 pm

nws2002 wrote:
SY maybe, although they are private so don't release financials. Their CEO said they are building cash. I'm sure the Amazon flying is propping up their pax service though.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/ceo-chat- ... -plateaus/

SY had an operational profit in May and June thanks to Amazon flying.

jplatts

Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:35 pm

PDX-SMF had more than enough demand for daily nonstop service on WN in May 2020, but had weak load factors due to extra frequency on the route.

Here are the numbers for WN PDX-SMF nonstop service in May 2020:
7245 passengers
20115 seats
36.02% load factor

1 daily nonstop in each direction on a WN 737-700: 143 seats x 2 x 31 = 8866 seats

WN might be able to be profitable on the PDX-SMF during the COVID-19 pandemic if (a) WN further reduced frequencies on PDX-SMF nonstop service, (b) WN is able to fill the PDX-SMF nonstop flights, and (c) fares on WN PDX-SMF nonstop flights are at normal levels.

There were some other WN nonstop routes that had more than enough demand for daily nonstop service in May 2020, but with extra frequencies and weak load factors, including the following:
ATL-BWI, ATL-DAL, ATL-HOU, ATL-MDW, ATL-TPA, AUS-DAL, AUS-DEN, AUS-PHX, BNA-DAL, BNA-DEN, BNA-ECP, BWI-CLT, BWI-FLL, BWI-MCO, BWI-MDW, BWI-ORF, BWI-PBI, BWI-RSW, BWI-TPA, CLE-MDW, DAL-DEN, DAL-ELP, DAL-HOU, DAL-LAS, DAL-LAX, DAL-MCI, DAL-MDW, DAL-PHX, DAL-SAN, DAL-SAT, DAL-STL, DAL-TUL, DEN-HOU, DEN-IND, DEN-LAS, DEN-LAX, DEN-MCI, DEN-MDW, DEN-MSP, DEN-OKC, DEN-PHX, DEN-SAN, DEN-SEA, DEN-SLC, DEN-SMF, DEN-STL, DEN-TPA, FLL-MDW, GEG-LAS, HOU-LAX, HOU-MDW, LAS-LAX, LAS-MDW, LAS-PDX, LAS-PHX, LAS-RNO, LAS-SAN, LAS-SMF, LAX-MDW, LAX-PHX, MCI-MDW, MCO-MDW, MDW-MSP, MDW-PHX, MDW-RSW, MDW-TPA, MKE-PHX, OAK-PHX, OAK-SAN, PHX-SAN, PHX-SLC, PHX-SMF, PHX-SNA, SAN-SJC, SAN-SMF

chrisair

Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:51 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
chrisair wrote:

Where did you look? It was mentioned nine posts above yours.

AngelsDecay wrote:
Quite not a kind of airline, but some Biz and Taxi such as NetJets and VistaJet are doing great these days, like some others on the BizJet market worldwide.

Clearly I didn't look hard enough...

:mrgreen:

75driver

Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:13 pm

Based on what I saw yesterday the 135 operators (and quasi 135’s operating with only 91’s) are in great shape. The inbound yesterday at my FOB was the busiest I’ve seen it since the COVId charley foxtrot began. I counted 7 deplaned aircraft carrying business type passengers in just 2 hours at my FOB. I wonder what it’s like at busier fields.

DH8PU

Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:53 am

Chorus (Jazz's parent company) reported a Q2 profit.

Source: https://chorusaviation.com/chorus-aviat ... et-update/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos