Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nine4nine

Re: Air New Zealand retires two 77W

Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Bummer. I flew ZK-OKS 3 times over the past 2 years on the LHR/LAX runs on NZ1 and NZ2, the last being right before New Years 2020. When you’ve flown one particular bird multiple times you find a bond with it.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

ZK-NBT

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:26 pm

TheWorm123 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
I can't see the 777-200s ever flying again and once they are retired they will be gone for good. They are getting to there end of their economic life some are 15 years old. In the future if demand recovers well eventually they will take the 787-10 orders.

They can fly for 30 years. The owned 77Ws may stay around they may not as well. I guess hopefully eventually they take the 78J, in the medium term I could see only the 789 given the way things are looking atm.

772’s younger than 15 were being scrapped pre-COVID they don’t stand much of a chance now that widebody operation at that scale is more or less nil.

Sure, there is a wide body glut now so younger frames are being scrapped. I agree the NZ 772 is done.

aklrno

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:08 pm

airboss787 wrote:
aklrno wrote:
It seems strange to see OKS go. I was on the first revenue Trans-Pacific flight

Maybe you should let them know. They might change their mind after knowing about that fact. :bigthumbsup: :D

I guess my comment did sound kind of silly. I should have mentioned that my reason for the comment was that it didn't seem all that long ago. The only reason I remember it is that was the first time I was on a plane that had "new car smell", so I asked how old it was. Other than that I rarely remember any of the aircraft I've flown on.

Actually, there was one more, flying on a UA 787 LAX-HOU on its first revenue flight, but I have no idea which one it was. UA made a big deal of telling us about it.

airboss787

Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:24 pm

aklrno wrote:
airboss787 wrote:
aklrno wrote:
It seems strange to see OKS go. I was on the first revenue Trans-Pacific flight

Maybe you should let them know. They might change their mind after knowing about that fact. :bigthumbsup: :D

I guess my comment did sound kind of silly. I should have mentioned that my reason for the comment was that it didn't seem all that long ago. The only reason I remember it is that was the first time I was on a plane that had "new car smell", so I asked how old it was. Other than that I rarely remember any of the aircraft I've flown on.

Actually, there was one more, flying on a UA 787 LAX-HOU on its first revenue flight, but I have no idea which one it was. UA made a big deal of telling us about it.

Haha no worries. I was just making a joke. I did not intend on coming off as a jerk. I totally understand that nostalgia of flying on an aircraft and then that aircraft getting retired soon after that. It seems very recent in those cases.

For the LAX-HOU segment, if it was HOU as in Houston Hobby, was it a 737MAX?
Star Alliance Gold

aklrno

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:15 pm

airboss787 wrote:
aklrno wrote:
airboss787 wrote:

Haha no worries. I was just making a joke. I did not intend on coming off as a jerk. I totally understand that nostalgia of flying on an aircraft and then that aircraft getting retired soon after that. It seems very recent in those cases.

For the LAX-HOU segment, if it was HOU as in Houston Hobby, was it a 737MAX?

I should really not post these things when sleepy. I meant IAH. I was connecting to Buenos Aires, also on a 787 that was 2 or 3 months old. When asked by the purser if I was enjoying the flight I said the plane seemed old to me. He was a little surprised, but then I told him about the morning flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos