Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Gillbilly
Topic Author
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:46 pm

BOS to LHR in the 90s

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:05 pm

Who would have been operating this route in the 90s, particularly '93 to '99 and on what aircraft? I'm assuming BA on some variant of 747 (which one?) but was there ever anyone else? NWA by any chance? Thanks
 
User avatar
deltacto
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:16 pm

Gillbilly wrote:
Who would have been operating this route in the 90s, particularly '93 to '99 and on what aircraft? I'm assuming BA on some variant of 747 (which one?) but was there ever anyone else? NWA by any chance? Thanks


1996 OAG shows British Airways and American Airlines

http://www.departedflights.com/BOSI96p1.html

Virgin flew from Gatwick in 1996

Northwest flew Boston to London Gatwick but had moved the route to Detroit sometime in the early 90's
 
ScottB
Posts: 6993
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:17 pm

In the 1990s, BOS-LHR was operated by BA, VS, AA, and UA.
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1659
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:37 pm

ScottB wrote:
In the 1990s, BOS-LHR was operated by BA, VS, AA, and UA.


Yes, this. Basically the same carriers except replace UA with DL. Likely soon to be B6 also.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:48 pm

Didn’t US run BOS-LGW at one point? I may be thinking of BOS-FRA but there was a very, very brief period in the 1990s when US had TATL service from BOS.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
Transpac787
Posts: 1421
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:47 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:13 am

Neither Delta nor Northwest served LHR during the days of Bermuda II. Prior to 2008, Northwest and Delta only served LGW.

The original two US carriers that could serve LHR were PanAm and TWA, later becoming United and American. After Open Skies in 2008, Northwest changed their MSP-LGW and DTW-LGW over to LHR.

USAirALB wrote:
Didn’t US run BOS-LGW at one point? I may be thinking of BOS-FRA but there was a very, very brief period in the 1990s when US had TATL service from BOS.


Did you look at the 'Departed Flights' link above?? Haha

It shows USair operating a daily BOS-FRA on 767-200.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:21 am

[*]BA, VS, AA, and UA operated BOS-LHR at the time. The UA flight was relatively short lived. It was once daily, on a 767-300ER. It launched in 1998 and ended in 1999 or 2000. Aircraft wise, I believe it was something like this:

British Airways (747-200, 747-400, 777-200)
Virgin Atlantic (A340-300 and 747-400)
American Airlines (B767-300ER, A300-600)
United Airlines (B767-300ER)
 
deltairlines
Posts: 7084
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 4:47 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:08 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
[*]BA, VS, AA, and UA operated BOS-LHR at the time. The UA flight was relatively short lived. It was once daily, on a 767-300ER. It launched in 1998 and ended in 1999 or 2000. Aircraft wise, I believe it was something like this:

British Airways (747-200, 747-400, 777-200)
Virgin Atlantic (A340-300 and 747-400)
American Airlines (B767-300ER, A300-600)
United Airlines (B767-300ER)


UA pulled BOS-LHR after 9/11. It was on a 767-300ER.

In the late 1990s, AA was occasionally using the 777 on BOS-LHR, intermixed with the A300-600 and 767-300.

I forget exactly when, but there were points in the 1990s where VS was using the 747-200 on BOS-LHR. They actually departed out of the B gates for a while as well.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10164
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:37 pm

deltairlines wrote:
I forget exactly when, but there were points in the 1990s where VS was using the 747-200 on BOS-LHR. They actually departed out of the B gates for a while as well.

I flew VS on the BOS-LGW route in their inaugural year (June, 1991?), on an ex-SQ 742 from terminal B. IIRC they were the only TATL airline with seatback tvs at that time :) They were in terminal B for quite some time I think which I found interesting because that was AA's terminal and at that time VS was running the "No Way BA AA" slogan.
 
VS11
Posts: 1661
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 6:34 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:36 pm

Virgin Atlantic did not start flying to Boston from LHR until after 09/11/2001. I do not remember the exact date but they started LHR-BOS shortly after 09/11 when they adapted their schedules to the post-09/11 world/economy. However, in December 2001 they were already flying LHR-BOS. I took BOS-LHR mid-December 2001. It was a 747-200, "Dancing Queen", G-VIBE.
 
N93109
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 1:29 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:46 pm

I believe US flew BOS - LGW and BOS - FRA with 767-200 aircraft. Remember, British Airways had 25% of voting stock and sat on their board in the 90's. They wanted full control, but US law limits foreign ownership to 25% of voting stock or 49% of non-voting stock.
 
USPIT10L
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:08 pm

N93109 wrote:
I believe US flew BOS - LGW and BOS - FRA with 767-200 aircraft. Remember, British Airways had 25% of voting stock and sat on their board in the 90's. They wanted full control, but US law limits foreign ownership to 25% of voting stock or 49% of non-voting stock.


No, US never flew BOSLON. They did, however, codeshare extensively with BA per the above agreement you referenced. It lasted from 1993 to 1997, after BA and AA announced their transatlantic alliance. US sued BA for breach of contract and tried to apply for LONPIT, LONPHL, LONBOS, and LONCLT, all to be served via LHR as conditions to approve the AA/BA alliance. Obviously, that had no chance of happening per Bermuda II. US did fly BOSFRA from 1995 to 1996, as several people have mentioned previously. My info on the US Airways London route applications came from the 1996 US Airways annual report.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:17 pm

N93109 wrote:
I believe US flew BOS - LGW and BOS - FRA with 767-200 aircraft. Remember, British Airways had 25% of voting stock and sat on their board in the 90's. They wanted full control, but US law limits foreign ownership to 25% of voting stock or 49% of non-voting stock.


US flew BOS-FRA but not BOS-LGW.
 
ManoaChris
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:22 pm

USPIT10L wrote:
No, US never flew BOSLON. They did, however, codeshare extensively with BA per the above agreement you referenced. It lasted from 1993 to 1997, after BA and AA announced their transatlantic alliance. US sued BA for breach of contract and tried to apply for LONPIT, LONPHL, LONBOS, and LONCLT, all to be served via LHR as conditions to approve the AA/BA alliance. Obviously, that had no chance of happening per Bermuda II. US did fly BOSFRA from 1995 to 1996, as several people have mentioned previously. My info on the US Airways London route applications came from the 1996 US Airways annual report.


The transatlantic lines between US Air and British Airways were very blurry in the mid-1990s. I remember a bizarre wet lease flight BWI-LGW with that was basically a US flight fully operated by BA on BA metal (I think a repainted 767, but with other BA cabin fittings not terribly well hidden).
 
gunnerman
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:41 pm

In the mid-1990s BOS-LHR had AA (double-daily using the 762 I think) and BA (daily using the 763 or 744). BA also flew GLA-JFK-BOS using the 757. UA then launched the route using the 763, one thing I remember was that on its termination UA was able to boast a 100% dispatch reliability.
 
NYCAAer
Posts: 786
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:22 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:14 pm

deltairlines wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
[*]BA, VS, AA, and UA operated BOS-LHR at the time. The UA flight was relatively short lived. It was once daily, on a 767-300ER. It launched in 1998 and ended in 1999 or 2000. Aircraft wise, I believe it was something like this:

British Airways (747-200, 747-400, 777-200)
Virgin Atlantic (A340-300 and 747-400)
American Airlines (B767-300ER, A300-600)
United Airlines (B767-300ER)


UA pulled BOS-LHR after 9/11. It was on a 767-300ER.

In the late 1990s, AA was occasionally using the 777 on BOS-LHR, intermixed with the A300-600 and 767-300.

I forget exactly when, but there were points in the 1990s where VS was using the 747-200 on BOS-LHR. They actually departed out of the B gates for a while as well.


AA didn’t start using the 772 on BOS-LHR until 2001 or so, as they were initially used out of DFW and ORD, and then SJC and SEA. The first 772s were delivered in 1999, and there weren’t enough to go around until further deliveries in the 2000-2001 timeframe.
 
amc737
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:56 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:32 pm

Hi all

I believe Northwest flew Gatwick to Boston until the end of the Summer 1995 season, after this having purchased Delta's London to Detroit authority they started this flight in Winter 1995 but pulled out of London to Boston. It was NW48/49. In the early 1990's it was operated by 747s but was a DC-10 by the end of its operation

Virgin started Gatwick Boston in May 1991 VS11/12 and it remained at Gatwick throughout the 1990s, as already mentioned it moved to Heathrow after 9/11. For a large period on the 90's Virgin had up to 3 daily flights from Gatwick, Boston, Miami and Orlando. G-VMIA the sole 747-100 was often used on Gatwick Boston, I also remember that Boston was the inaugural A340-300 route as these where delivered to Gatwick

American started Boston from Heathrow in July 1991 having purchased TWAs authority. At one point they used 3 DC-10-10s on the service. Initially daily, AA108/109, I think it went double daily in May 1995 with AA155/156 which was a day flight to Heathrow arriving at 21:05. I also remember they did operate a short lived Gatwick Boston with an A300 at some point in the late 90's

British Airways had a daily Boston, BA214/215, I think this went 2x daily in June 1992 with 767 service from 1 June to 12 September BA212/213 and seemed to have been operated some winter seasons and not others, by summer 1997 they had 3 flights per day with day Boston to London BA238 and BA239 returning.

Again as had already been said United has a daily service to Heathrow UA998/999 with a 767-300 and Delta started Boston to Gatwick on 1 June 2001 DL60/61

amc737
 
Kno
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:47 am

airbazar wrote:
deltairlines wrote:
I forget exactly when, but there were points in the 1990s where VS was using the 747-200 on BOS-LHR. They actually departed out of the B gates for a while as well.

I flew VS on the BOS-LGW route in their inaugural year (June, 1991?), on an ex-SQ 742 from terminal B. IIRC they were the only TATL airline with seatback tvs at that time :) They were in terminal B for quite some time I think which I found interesting because that was AA's terminal and at that time VS was running the "No Way BA AA" slogan.


I’ve always tried to find photos of vs at terminal B. Do you know what gate they used?
 
FlyingBrit
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:58 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:48 am

I specifically remember as a teenager in 1996 flying BA to London on a 757, but with a stop in JFK before heading over the pond. Parked next to Concorde in NY as a bonus.
Made in England
Living in New England
 
N649DL
Posts: 969
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:58 am

UA's BOS-LHR service was on a 763ER which IIRC originated in SFO and was definitely pulled after 9/11. This casualty was right after UA was quietly building up non-hub East Coast stations like JFK, BOS, EWR, off the radar. It only operated for a few years, I wanna say 1999-2001.
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5273
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:45 am

From my flight log.

22.10.94 BOS-LHR BA214 747-100 G-AWNP
 
flyjay123
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:07 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:45 am

I thought Delta lauched BOS - LGW in direct competition with their codeshare partner VS around 1995/6. If memory serves me right - VS were really pissed off as the codeshare was a one way street!
VS lauched LGW - BOS with 747 in 1991.

I flew a Northwest 747 LGW - BOS in 1990.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8364
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:52 am

flyjay123 wrote:
I thought Delta lauched BOS - LGW in direct competition with their codeshare partner VS around 1995/6. If memory serves me right - VS were really pissed off as the codeshare was a one way street!
VS lauched LGW - BOS with 747 in 1991.

I flew a Northwest 747 LGW - BOS in 1990.


That predates the DL-VS codeshare by about 18 years.

VS and CO had a longstanding codeshare for most of the 90s and 00s, but it was obviously much less developed than the subsequent VS-DL JV.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
VS11
Posts: 1661
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2001 6:34 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:03 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
VS and CO had a longstanding codeshare for most of the 90s and 00s, but it was obviously much less developed than the subsequent VS-DL JV.


It was more than a codeshare. CO paid for VS seats, at least in Upper Class, on every flight out of Boston, even if CO couldn’t fill them. CO had their own concierges for CO pax. IIRC, at one point, CO even went to court to break the agreement.
 
flyjay123
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:07 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:07 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:
I thought Delta lauched BOS - LGW in direct competition with their codeshare partner VS around 1995/6. If memory serves me right - VS were really pissed off as the codeshare was a one way street!
VS lauched LGW - BOS with 747 in 1991.

I flew a Northwest 747 LGW - BOS in 1990.


That predates the DL-VS codeshare by about 18 years.

VS and CO had a longstanding codeshare for most of the 90s and 00s, but it was obviously much less developed than the subsequent VS-DL JV.


DL signed a codeshare partnership with VS in 1994, placing it's code on VS flights. VS, unhappy with DL, suspended the deal early accusing DL of foul play (if memory serves me right), and then went on to sign a similar deal with CO in 1997. Infact, CO were considering buying a share of VS but Tricky Dicky wanted more than CO were prepared to pay/or could afford.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:13 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
flyjay123 wrote:
I thought Delta lauched BOS - LGW in direct competition with their codeshare partner VS around 1995/6. If memory serves me right - VS were really pissed off as the codeshare was a one way street!
VS lauched LGW - BOS with 747 in 1991.

I flew a Northwest 747 LGW - BOS in 1990.


That predates the DL-VS codeshare by about 18 years.

VS and CO had a longstanding codeshare for most of the 90s and 00s, but it was obviously much less developed than the subsequent VS-DL JV.


Incorrect. VS and DL code shared on select US-LON routes from 1994 to 1996. At JFK for instance, VS operated out of T3 (former Pan Am Worldport) for a time then shfited back to the IAB until the move to the newly built Terminal One in 1998. CO and VS entered into a code-share agreement starting in 1997 and the two airlines worked quite closely for an extended period of time.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:16 pm

N649DL wrote:
UA's BOS-LHR service was on a 763ER which IIRC originated in SFO and was definitely pulled after 9/11. This casualty was right after UA was quietly building up non-hub East Coast stations like JFK, BOS, EWR, off the radar. It only operated for a few years, I wanna say 1999-2001.


UA scraped away a lot of what it had at JFK, BOS, EWR in the post 9/11 world, at an accelerated pace. At JFK, UA quickly ended the HKG nonstop, which was launched in response to the CO EWR-HKG route. The UA flight was on a 747-400 which struggled with a full load of pax and cargo and took penalties. It only operated for a few months. NRT at JFK was also cut and shifted to IAD. Other UA routes at JFK had also been cut by or before 9/11 including EZE, GRU, CCS, SJU (weekend service) along with ORD which operated only a few days a week. All but one LHR frequency was cut (by 2006 UA operated a single daily 777 to LHR from JFK, EWR had been cut by then).
 
richcandy
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:49 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:04 pm

FlyingBrit wrote:
I specifically remember as a teenager in 1996 flying BA to London on a 757, but with a stop in JFK before heading over the pond. Parked next to Concorde in NY as a bonus.


You might well be correct but I thought the 757 BOS service via JFK was from BHX or GLA?

I flew LHR-BOS in 1994 and they were using a 747 classic. (sorry at the time I didn't take enough notice to get the reg or find out if it was a -200 or -100). I think it was the winter schedule and they only had one flight a day. What I remember is that it was a fairly late afternoon departure from LHR and that the aircraft had economy class seats on the upper deck.

Alex
 
BealineV953
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:28 pm

USPIT10L wrote:
N93109 wrote:
I believe US flew BOS - LGW and BOS - FRA with 767-200 aircraft. Remember, British Airways had 25% of voting stock and sat on their board in the 90's. They wanted full control, but US law limits foreign ownership to 25% of voting stock or 49% of non-voting stock.


No, US never flew BOSLON. They did, however, codeshare extensively with BA per the above agreement you referenced. It lasted from 1993 to 1997, after BA and AA announced their transatlantic alliance. US sued BA for breach of contract and tried to apply for LONPIT, LONPHL, LONBOS, and LONCLT, all to be served via LHR as conditions to approve the AA/BA alliance.
My info on the US Airways London route applications came from the 1996 US Airways annual report.


I wouldn't say that the BA/ USAir alliance lasted until "BA and AA announced their transatlantic alliance".
BA would say that the alliance lasted until USAir tried to sell itself to United in September '95. Here's the timeline:

July 1992:
British Airways and USAir announced an alliance. However, the agreement was terminated in December after the US Government indicated the transaction would not be approved without concessions by the UK Government.
January 1993:
British Airways and USAir announced a new alliance. The commercial arrangements covered codeshare on USAir flights in the USA, and the launch by BA of three new transatlantic services using aircraft leased from USAir and USAir crews.
BA invested US$300 million in USAir for an initial 19.9 per cent voting interest. The agreement gave BA options over the next five years to invest up to a further US$450 million in preferred shares in USAir in two tranches.
March 1993:
The US Government approved the BA alliance with USAir.
April 1993:
BA exercised its right to invest a further US$101 million, giving it a 24.6 per cent holding in USAir.
May 1993:
BA and US commenced a phased programme of codeshare flights to 38 cities.
June 1993:
British Airways launched daily flights between Gatwick and Pittsburgh using USAir B767s in BA livery and staffed by USAir crews in BA uniforms.
October 1994:
BA launched similar flights between Gatwick and Baltimore
January 1994:
BA launched similar flights between Gatwick and Charlotte
January 1994:
The US Department of Transportation approved BA and USAir codesharing to 65 destinations across the USA.
September 1995:
USAir announced that it had held preliminary conversations with United Airlines concerning possible strategic relationships up to and including the acquisition of USAir. American Airlines had also been approached, but had no interest.
USAir had lost $3 billion over five years. The airline had sought concessions from its unions in exchange for part ownership but broke off talks in July.
The USAir board, apart from the three BA members, believed that shareholder value would be maximised by selling the loss-making airline.
BA had seen that while it owned 49% of USAir shares and held 24.6% of the voting rights, close to the maximum allowed under US law, this did not give it control of the airline it had heavily invested in.
British Airways said that it would consider a number of options in relation to its investment in USAir and the airline’s future alliance strategy in North America.
November 1995:
United Airlines announced it will not pursue the possibility of acquiring USAir.
USAir said it would seek other solutions to its financial problems, including moving ahead on its plans to cut costs and eliminate unprofitable routes.
"Our talks with United, while important, were but one of several long-term strategic alternatives being examined to make USAir consistently profitable”, said Seth E. Schofield, USAir's chairman and chief executive officer.
January 1996:
BA confirmed that it would not be exercising its rights to subscribe for additional preference shares in USAir.
April 1996:
BA announced a code-sharing agreement with America West, enabling BA passengers to fly on to America West destinations beyond Phoenix.
June 1996:
BA and American Airlines announce plans for a broad alliance. The two airlines planned to co-ordinate their activities between Europe and the USA, introduce extensive codesharing across each other’s networks and establish full reciprocity between their frequent flyer programmes.
July 1996:
USAir filed a lawsuit at the New York federal district court claiming that the proposed alliance between BA and AA violated the existing agreements USAir has with British Airways. BA said: "USAir did not provide us with a copy of its complaint or discuss it with us before making its announcement today.”
October 1996:
USAir serves notice to end its code-share and frequent flyer relationship with BA with effect from 29 March 1997.
December 1996:
BA gave notice of its intention to sell all of its shares in USAir, ending the three-year partnership.
Bob Ayling, chief executive of BA, said "It would clearly be unwise to pursue an alliance with an unwilling partner."
January 1997:
BA announced the resignation from the Board of USAir of its three nominated directors.
January 1997:
BA and American Airlines submitted a joint application to the US Department of Transportation, requesting formal approval of an alliance.
May 1997:
BA sold its investment in US Airways, realising total proceeds of US$625 million.
December 1997:
The New York federal district court threw out the claims in the US Airways lawsuit.
In its original statement explaining the legal action, USAir said its agreement with British Airways "required both parties' best efforts to complete and advance their alliance...”
Presumably the court found that USAir’s earlier flirtation with United was inconsistent with USAir’s obligations under its contracts with BA.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’
 
BealineV953
Posts: 187
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:36 pm

richcandy wrote:
FlyingBrit wrote:
I specifically remember as a teenager in 1996 flying BA to London on a 757, but with a stop in JFK before heading over the pond.


You might well be correct but I thought the 757 BOS service via JFK was from BHX or GLA?

Alex


BA Regional (BAR) operated two B757s (G-BPEC & ‘EE) from January ’95 to October ’98. By summer ’97 they were operating daily BHX-JFK-YYZ and GLA-JFK-BOS services. They were configured with 18 ClubWorld and 138 WorldTraveller seats. The sectors from JFK to YYZ and BOS were flown largely because between their arrival at JFK and departure back to BHX or GLA, BA had nowhere at or near the BA terminal to park two 757s for the best part of the day.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’
 
User avatar
727stretch
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:59 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:16 pm

N649DL wrote:
UA's BOS-LHR service was on a 763ER which IIRC originated in SFO and was definitely pulled after 9/11. This casualty was right after UA was quietly building up non-hub East Coast stations like JFK, BOS, EWR, off the radar. It only operated for a few years, I wanna say 1999-2001.


UA998, BOS-LHR, operated 4/1999 through early 2002. It originally began as SFO-BOS-LHR through service.. Then the routing was changed and it continued to ORD, although not as a through flight. Eventually it just did LHR-BOS-LHR and was on the ground in BOS 6.5 hrs per day. The flight did well (load wise) despite the limited feed. I can say as I worked there at the time, that flight was given top priority.
 
BuzzmeSTL
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:49 pm

Apr 20, 1991 flew TW 810 from STL-BOS-LHR on an L-1011. Remember it being a palatable 1-stop in lieu of having nonstop from STL. Seemed like it was late ground time in BOS. The waning days of TW.

There was also a TW nonstop STL-LGW at the time on a 767 (returned on that one), but on the way over I needed to connect to a BA Athens flight, so opted for the one stop via BOS.
 
FlyingBrit
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:58 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:41 pm

richcandy wrote:
FlyingBrit wrote:
I specifically remember as a teenager in 1996 flying BA to London on a 757, but with a stop in JFK before heading over the pond. Parked next to Concorde in NY as a bonus.


You might well be correct but I thought the 757 BOS service via JFK was from BHX or GLA?


Ah yes! Thanks for the memory jog, it was in fact to GLA. Return trip was from London.
Made in England
Living in New England
 
airbazar
Posts: 10164
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:18 pm

Kno wrote:
airbazar wrote:
deltairlines wrote:
I forget exactly when, but there were points in the 1990s where VS was using the 747-200 on BOS-LHR. They actually departed out of the B gates for a while as well.

I flew VS on the BOS-LGW route in their inaugural year (June, 1991?), on an ex-SQ 742 from terminal B. IIRC they were the only TATL airline with seatback tvs at that time :) They were in terminal B for quite some time I think which I found interesting because that was AA's terminal and at that time VS was running the "No Way BA AA" slogan.


I’ve always tried to find photos of vs at terminal B. Do you know what gate they used?

I don't remember. I want to say it was one of the end gates, B37 or B38, but I'm not sure.
 
User avatar
deltacto
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:01 pm

airbazar wrote:
Kno wrote:
I’ve always tried to find photos of vs at terminal B. Do you know what gate they used?

I don't remember. I want to say it was one of the end gates, B37 or B38, but I'm not sure.




Caption says
I call this one "Virgin at the gate"


G-VBEE in 1999

This is either gate 37 or 38 ... this is when United still operated out of gates 40 and 41 in Terminal C ...
and you can see the facade of Terminal C
 
zrs70
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:08 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:49 pm

Somewhat relevant to this thread. Here is a link to some pretty poor quality photos I have of looking at that time.

You will notice one particular photo taken from the observation lounge of terminal B. This is the photo with the Northwest DC 10. The Virgin Atlantic gate was on the side closer to where the photo was taken. They also had a small clubhouse adjacent to the gate, but in the non-secure zone.

You’ll also see in this series ticket counters of carriers like Western, Braniff and Midwest Express, as well as Piedmont and Sabena, New York Air, Continental, and Pan Am.

The beautiful old eastern terminal proudly stands.

747s of Swissair and Aer Lingus.

The (shiver) Trump Shuttle.

DL and TW L10’s.

And lots of 727s!

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0y5ejO17eur2W
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020
 
deltairlines
Posts: 7084
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 4:47 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:27 pm

zrs70 wrote:
You will notice one particular photo taken from the observation lounge of terminal B. This is the photo with the Northwest DC 10. The Virgin Atlantic gate was on the side closer to where the photo was taken. They also had a small clubhouse adjacent to the gate, but in the non-secure zone.


Was the VS lounge what would eventually become the TWA lounge in the late 1990s and then a Continental President's Club in the mid-2000s, when they got moved over to C40-42? It was a pre-security lounge and was very tiny (it made the old Delta Crown Room at B10 in ATL look spacious).
 
Kno
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:51 pm

deltacto wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Kno wrote:
I’ve always tried to find photos of vs at terminal B. Do you know what gate they used?

I don't remember. I want to say it was one of the end gates, B37 or B38, but I'm not sure.




Caption says
I call this one "Virgin at the gate"


G-VBEE in 1999

This is either gate 37 or 38 ... this is when United still operated out of gates 40 and 41 in Terminal C ...
and you can see the facade of Terminal C


This is fascinating to me, for one that alley way is awfully tight for a 747, also b37 and b38 historically have been used for 757s and smaller. I’d love to see more photos if they’re out there.
 
deltairlines
Posts: 7084
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 4:47 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:13 pm

Kno wrote:
deltacto wrote:
airbazar wrote:
I don't remember. I want to say it was one of the end gates, B37 or B38, but I'm not sure.




Caption says
I call this one "Virgin at the gate"


G-VBEE in 1999

This is either gate 37 or 38 ... this is when United still operated out of gates 40 and 41 in Terminal C ...
and you can see the facade of Terminal C


This is fascinating to me, for one that alley way is awfully tight for a 747, also b37 and b38 historically have been used for 757s and smaller. I’d love to see more photos if they’re out there.


Another tight alleyway was when Delta and Swissair had their alliance, Swissair would park their 747-300 at C36.
 
zrs70
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:08 am

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:24 pm

deltairlines wrote:
zrs70 wrote:
You will notice one particular photo taken from the observation lounge of terminal B. This is the photo with the Northwest DC 10. The Virgin Atlantic gate was on the side closer to where the photo was taken. They also had a small clubhouse adjacent to the gate, but in the non-secure zone.


Was the VS lounge what would eventually become the TWA lounge in the late 1990s and then a Continental President's Club in the mid-2000s, when they got moved over to C40-42? It was a pre-security lounge and was very tiny (it made the old Delta Crown Room at B10 in ATL look spacious).


No, the VS lounge was part of B terminal proper. There was a large frosted glass wall. I think that wall is still actually there. And I believe that the space is used for American Airlines credit services or something.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020
 
Kno
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:03 am

deltairlines wrote:
Kno wrote:
deltacto wrote:



Caption says
No

G-VBEE in 1999

This is either gate 37 or 38 ... this is when United still operated out of gates 40 and 41 in Terminal C ...
and you can see the facade of Terminal C


This is fascinating to me, for one that alley way is awfully tight for a 747, also b37 and b38 historically have been used for 757s and smaller. I’d love to see more photos if they’re out there.


Another tight alleyway was when Delta and Swissair had their alliance, Swissair would park their 747-300 at C36.


Are you sure it wasn’t c31? I know their md11s were there a lot - also AF widebodies there as well. I remember delta even squeezing 767s at c28 and c26, and I know they parked 767s at c36. Looking at google maps you can really see what a tight squeeze that was, hard to imagine it was even possible.
 
BABDBY
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:11 pm

I have great memories of flying VS from LGW to Boston in the late nineties. Always on the ‘Spirit of Sir Freddie’ G-VMIA the B747-100. Had the tiniest ptv screens in economy - but a great novelty at the time!
Also flew LGW-BOS-LGW on an AA B767-200, around 1999, and I’m certain it was one of the aircraft that were hijacked on 9/11. Always a sobering thought.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10164
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: BOS to LHR in the 90s

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:51 pm

It's really surprising to me that there aren't more pictures in the database of the VS planes at terminal B because they were parked right up against the window, on the walkway between B and C. So many times when I was flying out of either B or C I would walk down there just to look at the VS plane. I should look in the box of pictures that I have stored in the basement to see if I have any :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos