Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

phatfarmlines
Topic Author

SJU West Terminal

Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:40 am

Is there any history to these gates, shown in this 1994 Google Earth snapshot built beyond Terminal E to the west (encased in the red box in the linked photo)? This facility would be partially covering the apron which will eventually be used by American Eagle's remote operations, so I imagine this facility was demolished after the opening of the rebuilt Terminal C in the mid-90's. A guide I found has these gates labeled as part of "Terminal F". My memory escapes me that these gates existed, let alone called "Terminal F".

SJU West Terminal

Source: Google Earth

SJU Guide 1990 (1 of 2)

SJU Guide 1990 (2 of 2)

Source: User "mpar21" - flickr.com

SJU OAG Map from October 1991

SJU OAG Map from April 1995

Source: DepartedFlights.com

luckyone

Re: SJU West Terminal

Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:12 am

I went through SJU about 15 times in 2009-2010. If my memory is correct, the gates mentioned indeed appear to be where the E and F-Gates would have been. I remember being puzzled about the layout because unlike the rest of SJU in which each finger concourse extended from the main terminal, the F gates were accessed through the E Gates, all of which were part of the AA operation. Sometime around mid-2010 they stopped using the F Gates. To the best of my memory the D-Gates were where the ATRs flew out of. There would be around a dozen parked at any one time. E and F was where the bigger AA jets were parked.

DeltaRules

Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:23 pm

I seem to remember AA operating from Gates 1-3 and the Eagle flights left from below Gate 1. Did AA expand when DL/US/TW move to 30-41? We traveled to SJU quite a bit when I was a kid and I remember in the '90s DL was at 33 and 35, US at 37, TW at 39, NW and UA on the even side of that pier. (US later added 38 and I distinctly remember leaving on an A330 from there.)

There was also a time IIRC where the 19-27 concourse was closed and eventually reopened.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

PRAirbus

Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:31 pm

I recall reading the "west terminal" was mothballed with no date to reopen; I doubt it will open anytime soon especially now during the pandemic. jetBlue is the largest airline in SJU with their own terminal. Wonder if AA and B6 will move together in SJU as part of their future "alliance" in the Northeast.

phatfarmlines
Topic Author

Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:46 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
I seem to remember AA operating from Gates 1-3 and the Eagle flights left from below Gate 1. Did AA expand when DL/US/TW move to 30-41? We traveled to SJU quite a bit when I was a kid and I remember in the '90s DL was at 33 and 35, US at 37, TW at 39, NW and UA on the even side of that pier. (US later added 38 and I distinctly remember leaving on an A330 from there.)

There was also a time IIRC where the 19-27 concourse was closed and eventually reopened.

That's how I remember it. AA in Terminals D & E, all other airlines in Terminal B until the rebuilt Terminal C reopened.

luckyone wrote:
Sometime around mid-2010 they stopped using the F Gates. To the best of my memory the D-Gates were where the ATRs flew out of.

That is correct. When AA downsized SJU to a focus operation, AE abandoned the remote ramp operation and consolidated operations out of Terminal D.

PRAirbus wrote:
I recall reading the "west terminal" was mothballed with no date to reopen

I do recall a discussion about opening up a separate AE ticketing facility, which I presume would have involved said mothballed west terminal. Pictures are hard to come by, both inside, outside, and aerial, of SJU during the 1970's-early 1990's of the facilities and how the airport evolved over time.

luckyone

Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:55 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
That's how I remember it. AA in Terminals D & E, all other airlines in Terminal B until the rebuilt Terminal C reopened.

Prior to the remodeling, C was where JetBlue (I think) AirTran, Spirit, LIAT, Frontier and several other smaller carriers would fly out of. The other majors -- Delta, United, US, Air Canada-- used B. I don't remember where COPA operated from, but I want to say C, because I don't think B at the time was connected to immigration.

phatfarmlines
Topic Author

Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:53 am

luckyone wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

Prior to the remodeling, C was where JetBlue (I think) AirTran, Spirit, LIAT, Frontier and several other smaller carriers would fly out of. The other majors -- Delta, United, US, Air Canada-- used B. I don't remember where COPA operated from, but I want to say C, because I don't think B at the time was connected to immigration.

Terminal B at one point did have customs/immigration processing. I do remember a hallway partition on the north side of the concourse (this would have been in 1996) which would have been before or right at the opening of the rebuilt Terminal C.

luckyone

Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:46 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
luckyone wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

Terminal B at one point did have customs/immigration processing. I do remember a hallway partition on the north side of the concourse (this would have been in 1996) which would have been before or right at the opening of the rebuilt Terminal C.

Well that's interesting. When I was going through there regularly there was no divided hallway, though this was after the connector to C was built.

tistpaa727

Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:54 pm

Grew up on St. Thomas and used to fly through SJU often in the 80s and early 90s...I don't recall those jet bridges just that the end of the terminal was all American Eagle with mostly Shorts 360 I believe packing the apron. All but one flight from STT to SJU was on a prop (DC-3 or Shorts 360). Those DC-3 flights were awesome!

Found this image https://www.airliners.net/photo/American-Eagle-Flagship-Airlines/Short-360/58059/L from 1997 where you can see the jet bridges right behind the plane with what appear to be AA vehicles/equipment. Not sure if you could fit a plane at the closes jet bridge given where the Eagle flight is parked.
Don't sweat the little things.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos