Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MLIAA
Topic Author

Cape Air/Boutique Air Branding

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:11 pm

*preface* I work for a large regional airline in the Midwest but also fly Cape Air routinely. Those Cape Air flights have AA codeshare flight numbers and have connecting passengers to/from AA flights.

Why then is Cape Air not considered American Eagle? They provide the same service that any other AA regional partner would, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Same goes for Boutique and United.

Alternatively, why then would SkyWest or Republic not sell their own tickets as a codeshare to AA with their own branding?

Can anyone shed light onto this?
A319 A320 A321 A332 B712 B722 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B763 B764 B772 B788 B789 MD80 S340 E140 E145 E170 E175 E195 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Cape Air/Boutique Air Branding

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:14 pm

Not 121; 135 operation. AA would prefer that you think this single-pilot, piston-powered operation is only slightly connected to the jet airline. Marketing.

TonyClifton

Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:23 pm

Codeshare and Fee For Departure are two different things.
Buying a ticket on Cape Air and transferring onto American is purely a codeshare, and you pay each airline for the respective segment.

On a say SkyWest American Eagle flight, you’re buying the ticket from American, and they keep the money. Skywest is paid by American for the flight itself, not from the ticket money sold or not sold on the flight. Benefit for American under this system is revenue from the feeder flights. For Skywest to operate its own branded flights, it would need its own marketing, gates, ticketing system, etc. They could hypothetically codeshare a Skywest Branded flight with American, and you do see it on some of the EAS and At Risk flying, but those tickets are still sold through the partner airline website (such as Delta when doing APN-DTW). This of course is then regulated by scope clause, whereas the first example of Cape Air having a simple codeshare with AA isn’t.

We’ve seen regionals try to pivot into branded flying before (Atlantic Coast->Independence Air) and it’s never works. Operating FFD and having a mainline partner sell tickets for you is much different than doing it all yourself.

MO11

Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:59 am

TonyClifton wrote:
Buying a ticket on Cape Air and transferring onto American is purely a codeshare, and you pay each airline for the respective segment.

While your discussion is correct, it's somewhat off-track. An American, Delta, or United-branded regional jet flight is not always fee-for-departure.

TonyClifton

Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:13 am

MO11 wrote:
TonyClifton wrote:

While your discussion is correct, it's somewhat off-track. An American, Delta, or United-branded regional jet flight is not always fee-for-departure.

Correct, I did briefly mention how some are EAS or At Risk, and still associated with a mainline partner. I know Skywest does a decent bit of At Risk flying for DCI. I just used Codeshare v FFD as broader categories for the differences. Scope otherwise gets into very fine minutia!

TigerFlyer

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Cape Air is its own unique brand, serving niche markets, e.g., BOS to the Cape, Nantucket, Martha's Vinyard. It carries not only the AA code, but also B6 and UA. Very different from an Eagle Branded operation, which to most consumers is indistinguishable from the AA brand.

Chuska

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:07 pm

In a way the code-share between AA and 9K is similar to the code-share between AA and AS. There are considerable numbers of carriers, small and large, that have these kind of code-shares but each carrier keeps its own branding. I like to refer to these kind of code-shares as indirect code-shares and to the actual American Eagle, Delta Connection, and United Express carriers as direct code-shares with SkyWest, Mesa, Republic, etc.
Hope that makes some sense.

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:37 pm

Chuska wrote:
I like to refer to these kind of code-shares as indirect code-shares and to the actual American Eagle, Delta Connection, and United Express carriers as direct code-shares with SkyWest, Mesa, Republic, etc.

That may be how you keep them differentiated in your mind but I don't believe those terms are industry conventions.

'Direct' has its own meaning - a flight between origination and destination with stop(s) but without change of flight number. I'd be wary of secondary uses.

durangomac

Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:31 pm

Chuska wrote:
In a way the code-share between AA and 9K is similar to the code-share between AA and AS. There are considerable numbers of carriers, small and large, that have these kind of code-shares but each carrier keeps its own branding. I like to refer to these kind of code-shares as indirect code-shares and to the actual American Eagle, Delta Connection, and United Express carriers as direct code-shares with SkyWest, Mesa, Republic, etc.
Hope that makes some sense.

One is basically a wet lease and the other is just a sharing of passengers. The AAE, DCI and UAX operations are more like wet leases, some exceptions do apply like at-risk flying where the lessor (SkyWest) tends take the financial risk.

In the eyes of the US DOT, the wet leases such as AAE, DCO and UAX are code-shares and I think that is why it gets confusing.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos