Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

drdisque
Topic Author

UPDATE: AA Goes Forward with Suspending Service to 15 Small Airports in October

Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:43 pm

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/13/america ... nears.html

Source is an anonymous tip from inside AA management.

It's unclear if they're talking 20+ cities completely removed from AA's route map or just routes cut.

However, if it is cities here are some of my guesses (cities that are heavily reliant on business travel where AA is weak relative to other carriers or where the community's continued ability to sustain unsubsidized air service is questionable if AA is the only carrier):

LAN
SBN
LSE
BTR
MLU
CRP
IPT (only carrier, route is slated to move from PHL to CLT next week)
HVN (PHL service already slated to end in Sept)
CWA
GUC (seasonal station)
SBP
OAK
DRO
GNV
SUX (handing over station to UA)
BIL
SWF
ISP
PGV (only carrier)
BIS
DRT (only carrier)
GRB
HTS (only network carrier)

jfklganyc

Re: REPORT: American to drop routes to "two dozen" small/medium sized cities with no new aid

Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:50 pm

I can just say they threatened to drop Islip when they had to divest slots in DCA.

Maybe, they should just drop it already if it is that marginal.

Or maybe they have cried Wolf one too many times

enilria

Re: REPORT: American to drop routes to "two dozen" small/medium sized cities with no new aid

Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:55 pm

I wonder if other airlines will also threaten. NYT says 30 airports.

deltairlines

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:03 pm

I'd add MFR, EUG and RDM to this list. With the new codeshare with AS and these all being 850+ mile RJ routes to PHX, I don't see them sticking around when they can just let them feed into SEA/PDX. I'd also add STS to the list (similar reasons).

I don't really see the following getting cut from your list:
BTR - state capitol and large university, fairly decent population and is a decent drive (75 minutes no traffic) to MSY. Also currently has both CLT and DFW service. I'd expect MLU (as you mention) or AEX to be on the cut list (both very small, only traffic is to DFW)
LAN - state capitol and large university; similar story to BTR in that it's at least 75 minutes drive to DTW (helps them that DTW is on the other side of the city). Also helps that they have two destinations (DCA included) - LAN has been very vocal in the past about wanting that nonstop flight to DCA (I remember at one point they even got Sun Country to run it)
CRP - I don't see them losing their only link to Dallas. I could see some consolidation in the Rio Grande Valley airports though between McAllen, Brownsville and Harlingen.
GNV - large university there with service to DFW, MIA and CLT. I don't see them pulling out of there and leaving Delta as the only game in town.

The others on your list don't really surprise me too much.
Last edited by deltairlines on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigb

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:04 pm

PGV makes sense as folks can make the drive to CLT or RDU to catch flights.

KLMatSJC

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:10 pm

I don't think SBP will be on that list. They added a second DFW flight and I know they were exploring ORD as well.

AA ended their OAK flights in early June.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

deltairlines

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:11 pm

enilria wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me one bit, especially for airlines that wanted to drop airports but had to keep them because of CARES funding. All three airlines that serve ORH wanted out but Delta had to keep serving it. I doubt Delta is really interested running a daily CRJ to ORH with a handful of people on it every day (often this is less than 10 passengers per day each way).

If I were any airline running to an airport over 600 miles away with an RJ and only a couple of flights a day, I'd be worried about that airline sticking around, especially if there is service to another airport within a suitable distance. For example, I could see Delta dropping some combination of BGM, ELM and ITH, keeping one of them (I'm going to guess ELM since they have 2x CR9 right now vs a single CR2 for the other two; that and Ithaca is only about 60 miles to SYR...)

HNLSLCPDX

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:16 pm

Glad to see SGU will still have AA service. Last year pre COVID they had SGU-PHX 3x daily and also had SGU-DFW running 1x daily. AA has become a game changer for SGU and southern Utah.

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:22 pm

drdisque wrote:
It's unclear if they're talking 20+ cities completely removed from AA's route map or just routes cut.

This sounds like routes, not destinations to me, but it might just be sloppy writing.

American Airlines is preparing to scrap flights serving two dozen small and medium cities as the expiration of federal coronavirus aid that placed restrictions on carriers from cutting service approaches, according to an executive at the airline.

And this reads as destinations. See, sloppy writing: The new cancellations for up to 30 destinations could show up in fall schedules as early as next week, the American Airlines executive told CNBC.

I think 20-30 is just a start if we're looking at passenger revenues off 50+% into 1Q21.

BoilerAviation

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:24 pm

Hopefully PHF is not one of these airports, would signal some warning bells

CALMSP

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:25 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Glad to see SGU will still have AA service. Last year pre COVID they had SGU-PHX 3x daily and also had SGU-DFW running 1x daily. AA has become a game changer for SGU and southern Utah.

but we do not know for certain yet. I'd say DFW would probably be gone, but PHX would stay.

deltairlines

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:28 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if these were SkyWest at-risk routes, given their headquarters in SGU.

FLALEFTY

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:28 pm

I imagine we will start seeing lists of candidate cities to lose major-branded service in the coming weeks. The lists will probably include some state capitol cities to get the attention of Congress. The idea is to pressure the federal government to print up some more money and continue to bail the airlines out past October 1st.

HNLSLCPDX

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:29 pm

CALMSP wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

but we do not know for certain yet. I'd say DFW would probably be gone, but PHX would stay.

The DFW flight was dropped already, AA is now only running one flight a day on SGU-PHX.

klm617

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:30 pm

I wonder if this will open the door again for small commuter airlines serving small cities to start up using 19 seat aircraft like in the 70's and 80's where you had Metroliners and twin otters serving many markets that were too small for the regionals to serve.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:31 pm

Honestly 30 sounds low and easily believable.

Business travel is the driver for alot of those airports, and that's not coming back for a while. AA can leave and come back in 2-3 years and get huge incentives from these same airports. Business travel isn't going to be there in 2021 , it will be a while after vaccines are actually administered and proven successful.

Companies don't want liability or the expense. My company has already banned all business travel till July 1 2021 and I've heard all year is coming before years end. The company is saving a fortune on travel expenses and the huge budgets may never come back. Maybe 50% of what they spent in 2019 in 2022 budgeted maybe not even. Business travel is going to be alot more really necessary only in the future with lowered budgets at least for a while even after the pandemic.
Last edited by slcdeltarumd11 on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuska

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:31 pm

I really can't see dropping DRO. AA's Sep 9 schedule has them at 4 DFW and 2 PHX. The only competition is UA* with 3 DEN and the next closest airport is ABQ, over 200 miles away.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:32 pm

Why are people chiming on cities. There is no official list, the thread starter was just kicking some ideas from his own head.

jscottwomack

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:43 pm

drdisque wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/13/american-airlines-could-cut-some-flights-required-under-federal-aid-terms-as-expiration-nears.html

Source is an anonymous tip from inside AA management.

However, if it is cities here are some of my guesses (cities that are heavily reliant on business travel where AA is weak relative to other carriers or where the community's continued ability to sustain unsubsidized air service is questionable if AA is the only carrier):

LAN
SBN
LSE
BTR
MLU
CRP
IPT (only carrier, route is slated to move from PHL to CLT next week)
HVN (PHL service already slated to end in Sept)
CWA
GUC (seasonal station)
SBP
OAK
DRO
GNV
SUX (handing over station to UA)
BIL
SWF
ISP
PGV (only carrier)
BIS
DRT (only carrier)
GRB
HTS (only network carrier)

Not so sure on GRB. They run E-175x2 and E-145x1 out of ORD. If the market was not doing well, why larger Eagle flights?
TWA, Ozark, Braniff, Piedmont, USAir, American, Delta, Frontier, Midwest Express, Western, Eastern, Southwest, Northwest, PanAm, United, Mississippi Valley, Britt, Continental, Trans America, Midway, America West, National, American Trans Air, Sun Country

KFTG

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:49 pm

BoilerAviation wrote:

Hampton Roads does not need two “international airports”.

lightsaber

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:50 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
drdisque wrote:

This sounds like routes, not destinations to me, but it might just be sloppy writing.

American Airlines is preparing to scrap flights serving two dozen small and medium cities as the expiration of federal coronavirus aid that placed restrictions on carriers from cutting service approaches, according to an executive at the airline.

And this reads as destinations. See, sloppy writing: The new cancellations for up to 30 destinations could show up in fall schedules as early as next week, the American Airlines executive told CNBC.

I think 20-30 is just a start if we're looking at passenger revenues off 50+% into 1Q21.

Sadly, it does sound like stations will close. This will eventually happen. Because of the long time frame, there is no amount of aid that will save over half those markets.

Lightsaber
5 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:58 pm

deltairlines wrote:
enilria wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me one bit, especially for airlines that wanted to drop airports but had to keep them because of CARES funding. All three airlines that serve ORH wanted out but Delta had to keep serving it. I doubt Delta is really interested running a daily CRJ to ORH with a handful of people on it every day (often this is less than 10 passengers per day each way).

If I were any airline running to an airport over 600 miles away with an RJ and only a couple of flights a day, I'd be worried about that airline sticking around, especially if there is service to another airport within a suitable distance. For example, I could see Delta dropping some combination of BGM, ELM and ITH, keeping one of them (I'm going to guess ELM since they have 2x CR9 right now vs a single CR2 for the other two; that and Ithaca is only about 60 miles to SYR...)

Isolation is another issue. Stage lengths aren’t too long to FLO and HTS but does it really make sense to serve them when CAE and CRW are an easy, all interstate drive away?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

jplatts

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:04 pm

deltairlines wrote:
I don't really see the following getting cut from your list:
LAN - state capitol and large university; similar story to BTR in that it's at least 75 minutes drive to DTW (helps them that DTW is on the other side of the city). Also helps that they have two destinations (DCA included) - LAN has been very vocal in the past about wanting that nonstop flight to DCA (I remember at one point they even got Sun Country to run it)

UA adding LAN-IAD nonstop service is a possibility if AA drops LAN-DCA nonstop service.

Chuska

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:11 pm

Hey Cubsrule,

"Isolation is another issue. Stage lengths aren’t too long to FLO and HTS but does it really make sense to serve them when CAE and CRW are an easy, all interstate drive away?"

I think you meant CHS, not CRW?

drdisque
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:16 pm

He meant the drive from HTS to CRW

Rookinla

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Chuska wrote:
Hey Cubsrule,

"Isolation is another issue. Stage lengths aren’t too long to FLO and HTS but does it really make sense to serve them when CAE and CRW are an easy, all interstate drive away?"

I think you meant CHS, not CRW?

Nope. HTS is Huntington WV, so he meant CRW.

cschleic

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:23 pm

deltairlines wrote:
I'd add MFR, EUG and RDM to this list. With the new codeshare with AS and these all being 850+ mile RJ routes to PHX, I don't see them sticking around when they can just let them feed into SEA/PDX. I'd also add STS to the list (similar reasons).

Didn't AS (or operated by Skywest) already announce adding routes from some of these cities that look a lot like replacing AA? It would make a lot of sense to let AS run flights even to the AA hubs...except for having to connect to AA metal....

bigb

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:35 pm

KFTG wrote:
BoilerAviation wrote:

Hampton Roads does not need two “international airports”.

This is true.

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Isolation is another issue. Stage lengths aren’t too long to FLO and HTS but does it really make sense to serve them when CAE and CRW are an easy, all interstate drive away?

This is going to force a market rationalization that the EAS program has forestalled for decades in the even-smaller markets. Like lightsaber said, it's way too much money to subsidize small markets to maintain 2019 routes indefinitely.

jetblueguy22

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:46 pm

deltairlines wrote:
enilria wrote:

ORH isn’t about the passengers, it’s about scratching the backs of the big wigs at Massport. Gives them opportunities in BOS. Probably not a big deal anymore with international travel essentially zero.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

MohawkWeekend

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:49 pm

Maybe it's time for the State and Federal govt to raise the speed limits on Interstates to 80. : } Be a lot cheaper than subsidizing air service on a 50 seater. Of course, the FAA could modify the rules for 10 to 19 seaters to bring that segment of the industry back but ........
    300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11

SurfandSnow

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:54 pm

Surely a number of AA stations are on the chopping block - it's not like the airline hesitated to cut the likes of AGS, BFL, BUR, ISP, LGB, OAK, SWF and even PVD before (these stations then returned to the network via the US merger). OAK may already be gone for good, and I would be shocked if the airline continues to bother with LGB now that WN has added a competing PHX-LGB service. However, cutting places like BIL, BIS, CAK, CRW, DBQ, DRO, ERI, EUG, EVV, FLO, FNT, GRI, HVN, IPT, JAN, LSE, MGM, MLB, PHF, SJT, SPI, TLH and YUM might send a much more profound message to Congress... But then again, don't a lot of those small markets like that make the airline quite a bit of money?
    Last edited by SurfandSnow on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

MrPeanut

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:54 pm

The selection process will be simple
    1.) markets with service to only one hub
    2.) markets with less than 3 daily flights
    3.) markets where B6/AS can fill the void

cporcelli78

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:04 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
    I can just say they threatened to drop Islip when they had to divest slots in DCA.

Maybe, they should just drop it already if it is that marginal.

Or maybe they have cried Wolf one too many times

Boy I hope that’s not the case. I am an American executive platinum and I fly into ISP all the time. They have not had flights there since April or so but they restart next week and then they stop again September 9, and then they restart again October 7.

Praying! I do not want to fly that garbage Frontier or yuck WN.

freakyrat

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:25 pm

SBN-DFW is actually not doing bad considering Covid as AA is filling the First Class Seats. I can see SBN-CLT being cut back to one flight per day.

freakyrat

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:28 pm

Here is the skinny on SBN. Traffic is picking up. https://wsbt.com/news/local/special-rep ... oronavirus

ryanrap1

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:42 pm

Does anyone think BTr is on the chopping block ?

ryanrap1

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:43 pm

Does anyone think BTR is getting chopped?

MIflyer12

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:08 am

MohawkWeekend wrote:
    Maybe it's time for the State and Federal govt to raise the speed limits on Interstates to 80. : }

The Federal government doesn't set speed limits on interstates. It hasn't for about 25 years. There are already a few states with speed limits of 80. TX goes as high as 85. We already have 2x the fatality rate of Germany on limited access highways. Higher speed limits won't make for better American drivers.

kavok

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:20 am

If AA drops stations at BTR, LAN, etc. (and thus the DCA flight that goes with it), do those Air 21 slots become available for other airlines to take?

I know LAN-DCA, and many of the other small state capitals with DCA service have special slot rights that are tied to that specific location. And if AA stops the route, could another willing airline jump in and get that DCA slot? Not sure if anyone would, but more questioning if they could.
    Last edited by kavok on Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

drdisque
    Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:33 am

The reason I put SBN on the list is that they're throwing RJs pretty far from SBN to still be in 3rd place.

Italianflyer

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:00 am

I suspect this is political hardball.
    Yes, there are marginal cities that need to be culled given the current reality. But I suspect numerous cities in KY, NY State & CA will be on the chopper to make a point to both Chambers.

PVD757

Does anyone know where the list of “wish list” drops the airlines were asked to submit as exemptions to the COVID requirements can be found? Did AA submit a list? If they did, that is a very good place to start.

JohanTally

Depending how much mainline flying is cut they will have to adjust regional flying to adhere to scope limitations. I'm expecting the E140s to be parked for good sometime soon.

FWAERJ

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:03 am

drdisque wrote:
    The reason I put SBN on the list is that they're throwing RJs pretty far from SBN to still be in 3rd place.

At SBN (and FWA as well), SkyWest does most of the AA flying and sends in CR7s for MX. They need planes to maintain.
    B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

Ishrion

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:06 am

PVD757 wrote:
    Does anyone know where the list of “wish list” drops the airlines were asked to submit as exemptions to the COVID requirements can be found? Did AA submit a list? If they did, that is a very good place to start.

I think this covers the first wave of requested exemptions: https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... xemptions/

- Duluth (already gone)
    - Anchorage (ANC), Alaska; Jackson (JAC), Wyoming; Kalispell (FCA), Montana; and Martha’s Vineyard (MVY) and Nantucket (ACK); Massachussets
    - Kahului (OGG), Kona (KOA), Lihue (LIH).

Didn't Alaska just announce LAX-KOA/LIH? Wouldn't be surprised to see AA cede the route to them. Although, if they're truly cancelling a destination as a whole, they'd have to drop PHX-KOA/LIH.
    Last edited by Ishrion on Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

drdisque
    Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:10 am

PVD757 wrote:

Here are the stations that AA requested to drop in April: https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... xemptions/

DLH (already planned for cutting in late April and cut)
    Seasonal stations AA is now mostly operating: ANC, JAC, FCA, MVY, ACK, ASE, EGE, MTJ
    Hawaii: LIH, KOA, OGG

So basically, I don't see any of the stations that AA is currently flying that are in that list getting cut. They also don't for the most part fit the narrative of "small/mid-size cities". The April filing was mostly for seasonal and leisure destinations that AA wanted flexibility with or the Hawaiian destinations where they aren't currently allowed to carry tourists.

admanager

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:23 am

Cubsrule wrote:
    deltairlines wrote:
    enilria wrote:

FLO has CAE, CHS, MYR, FAY all about 60 to 75 minutes drive. Even before COVID AA only offer 3 flights. BYE

OzarkD9S

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:29 am

jplatts wrote:

UA adding LAN-IAD nonstop service is a possibility if AA drops LAN-DCA nonstop service.

That "possibilty" is so far down on UA's radar at the moment.
    "My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

DLASFlyer

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:30 am

AA has been growing like crazy in JAC. Used to be one seasonal flight to DFW. Now 3 per day plus 2x ORD, all mainline.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos