Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Antaras
Topic Author

Re: Long Thanh Int'l Airport: Construction and Development Thread

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:31 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

High speed rail could definitely do it in one day. Hanoi to HCMC would be about the same distance as Beijing to Shanghai and we all know how successful that is. Not saying that HCMC doesn't need a new airport but saying flights are the only solution for Vietnam isn't exactly true.

Well it would take 100 years for Vietnam to finish that hi-speed railway.
If you disagree with my statement, assume that it was just a joke :duck:

behramjee

Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:41 am

I have enjoyed reading through this thread topic and few things came to mind:

1. Vietnam Govt may force all new international carriers wanting to fly to HCMC to operate their flights at the newly built airport exclusively

2. SGN to be turned into a LCC hub airport like what DMK has become with Vietjet being exclusively based there

3. Vietnam Airlines to be allowed to move it’s entire operations to the new airport for easier logistical coordination. The only routes it should be allowed to maintain at SGN would be the prime domestic trunk routes of SGN-HAN and SGN-DAD.

4. All freighter operators to be moved to the new mega airport

Antaras
Topic Author

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:16 am

behramjee wrote:
I have enjoyed reading through this thread topic and few things came to mind:

1. Vietnam Govt may force all new international carriers wanting to fly to HCMC to operate their flights at the newly built airport exclusively

2. SGN to be turned into a LCC hub airport like what DMK has become with Vietjet being exclusively based there

3. Vietnam Airlines to be allowed to move it’s entire operations to the new airport for easier logistical coordination. The only routes it should be allowed to maintain at SGN would be the prime domestic trunk routes of SGN-HAN and SGN-DAD.

4. All freighter operators to be moved to the new mega airport

1. I don't think that the Vietnam Gov't will "force" all-new int' carriers to move here. However, I predict that the gov would "encourage" carriers to move their international operation to key countries such as Japan (served by FSC such as VN/QH/JL/NH), Korea (VN/QH/KE/OZ), Australia (QH/VN/JQ), EU/ME (QH/VN/AF/QR/EK/SU) and North America (VN/QH) to the new airport.
2. Yep SGN would become a heaven for domestic carriers and FSCs, especially with Pacific Airlines (it based here). VJ seems to prefer HAN and CXR but of course SGn would also become this carrier's new heaven.
3. VN can turn the new Long Thành Airport into its new hub and it will downgrade SGN into a secondary airport. However, I think that VN will keep the most domestic operation in SGN, and minimum domestic ops in Long Thành to DAD/HAN/PQC only for transit purposes.
4. Yeah I guess that all cargo ops will be moved to Long Thành. SGN is a mess, and trucks carrying goods from the airport made the traffic in the whole area worse.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:51 pm

The Vietnamese gov' confirms that the construction will start in 2021 and finished in 2025, divided into three phases.
The site-clearance is almost finished and the local government will hand-over the land to the airport's investor on 20 Oct 2020 (Just 2 more weeks!)

https://english.thesaigontimes.vn/78753 ... month.html
The Dong Nai government will hand over more than 1,800 hectares of cleared land for the first phase of the Long Thanh international airport project on October 20.

At a meeting with the Southern Airports Authority and the Airports Corporation of Vietnam (ACV) on October 1, Dung said the land has been mainly cleared. Of the 1,200 hectares of rubber farms, 1,100 hectares have been cleared, the local media reported.

As for the remaining 630 hectares, the province has paid VND1.3 trillion in compensation for 611 households. The compensation for over 200 other households will be paid this month.

In the remaining months of the year, the province will inspect some 3,200 other hectares of land for the project and set the compensation price for the affected households. It expected to hand over the entire land for the project by the second quarter of next year.

https://vnexplorer.net/long-thanh-airpo ... 03403.html
On October 2, the Ministry of Transport reported to the National Assembly on the implementation of the Long Thanh airport project.
According to the ministry, with the current progress, Long Thanh airport will start construction in 2021 and to be completed in 2025.

The project is divided into three phases. Phase 1 of the project will construct a runway with a length of 4,000 meters and a width of 75 meters. Constructing a passenger terminal with a design capacity of 25 million passengers/year, a total floor area of 373,000 m2, including four floors.

The air traffic control tower is about 123 m high for long term use. Build a garage with a capacity of about 4,200 cars.

Cargo terminals with a total capacity of 1.2 million tons of cargo/year; aviation catering area with a capacity of 40,000 meals/day; equipment maintenance facilities, aircraft cleaning, fuel supply stations, wastewater treatment

The traffic system directly connects with Long Thanh airport includes 2 main routes. Route number one, linking the airport with National Highway 51, has six lanes. Line 2 connects the airport with the Ho Chi Minh City-Long Thanh Expressway, with four lanes.

Phase 2, continuing to invest in building an additional open-run runway and an open passenger terminal to achieve a capacity of 50 million passengers/year, 1.5 million tons of cargo/year. Phase 3, completing items to reach a capacity of 100 million passengers/year and 5 million tons of cargo/year.

That day is so close, I can't wait LOL :D

lightsaber

Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:30 am

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Just for reference's sake, here's the size of Vietnam overlayed upon the west coast of the U.S.:

The distances in this country are definitely not walkable, and ground-based transportation can't do the journey from one end to another in a day.

I highly recommend the site http://www.thetruesize.com for seeing just how big and/or small places are.

High speed rail could definitely do it in one day. Hanoi to HCMC would be about the same distance as Beijing to Shanghai and we all know how successful that is. Not saying that HCMC doesn't need a new airport but saying flights are the only solution for Vietnam isn't exactly true.

The long/skinny nature of vietnam means high speed rail could cover a lot of the demand. But high speed rail is very expensive to install and occupies quite a bit of land.

Although to nitpick, that map should have been from San Diego to Portland Oregon. It is centered a bit high to try to claim more area.

LA to Portland is a 2 hour flight. That's it. I'll drive LA to SF (or I used to when SF was more fun), so the reality is, Vietnam isn't so large that most of its domestic needs couldn't be met by air.

I see a problem with split airports. That reduces transfers (people do not like to switch modes of transport). I prefer a large new airport and the old one closed.

However, Vietnam is building capacity, something many other countries are not adequately addressing and will thus suffer in the other side of this recession. A city needs transportation to build wealth.

Although, if there were a way for Vietnam to accept larger freight ships (say up to 19000 Teu) that would do even more for the economy, but that quickly gets off topic.

Lightsaber

Lightsaber
3 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:10 am

lightsaber wrote:
The long/skinny nature of vietnam means high speed rail could cover a lot of the demand. But high speed rail is very expensive to install and occupies quite a bit of land.

I see a problem with split airports. That reduces transfers (people do not like to switch modes of transport). I prefer a large new airport and the old one closed.

However, Vietnam is building capacity, something many other countries are not adequately addressing and will thus suffer in the other side of this recession. A city needs transportation to build wealth.

Although, if there were a way for Vietnam to accept larger freight ships (say up to 19000 Teu) that would do even more for the economy, but that quickly gets off topic.

Lightsaber

That high-speed railroad can't be finished before the new airport, as it is just a recommendation and there is no real effort to place that idea on stage.
Vietnam is building a bunch of highways to create a National Highway network, and the new Long Thành Airport is an important part of that project. In fact, the gov built a whole highway just for the airport, as when you exit the airport there will be definitely a highway, that highway can send you to the Ho Chi Minh City or send you to the Northern part of Vietnam by other connected highways. This means perfect in terms of logistic operation.

cpthuy

Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:19 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Just for reference's sake, here's the size of Vietnam overlayed upon the west coast of the U.S.:

The distances in this country are definitely not walkable, and ground-based transportation can't do the journey from one end to another in a day.

I highly recommend the site http://www.thetruesize.com for seeing just how big and/or small places are.

There is a proposal for high speed rail connecting Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh city, named North-South express railway, which is also a part of Trans-Asian railway network. Last I heard the construction was supposed to start in 2020 and finish in 2050. Even if the project actually start on time (which is highly unlikely since I don't think it's even been approved yet), it is still a few decades from completing.

Zinu

Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:44 pm

One should also note that the Annamite Range (Trường Sơn) that situated along the Central Coast of VN would also represent a real challenge in building a new High speed line. There will be a lot of tunnelling required to make this feasible.

JFK2SGN

Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:07 am

Have lived in Saigon for years and have never heard the notion that LT will only be international. All information I've seen over the years points to a split similar to BKK/DMK ops. The new LT Airport will house Vietnam Airlines (Domestic & Int'l) and likely all other foreign legacy and some foreign budget carriers. SGN will then be left with Vietjet, Pacific Airlines, Bamboo (maybe?), VASCO- plus the list of airlines that are waiting to startup (Vietstar, VIettravel Airlines, and an airline from Thien Minh Group) that aren't allowed to startup until SGN/HAN are expanded.

Antaras
Topic Author

Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:17 am

JFK2SGN wrote:
Have lived in Saigon for years and have never heard the notion that LT will only be international. All information I've seen over the years points to a split similar to BKK/DMK ops. The new LT Airport will house Vietnam Airlines (Domestic & Int'l) and likely all other foreign legacy and some foreign budget carriers. SGN will then be left with Vietjet, Pacific Airlines, Bamboo (maybe?), VASCO- plus the list of airlines that are waiting to startup (Vietstar, VIettravel Airlines, and an airline from Thien Minh Group) that aren't allowed to startup until SGN/HAN are expanded.

With a large number of long-haul routes that Bamboo wants to launch (Prague, Munich, Melbourne, Brisbane, London (LHR?), Incheon, Narita, LAX/SFO (?)), I think that Bamboo will prefer the new LT airport to the old-and-small SGN.

LT will be a nice home for both 2 largest full-services carriers of Vietnam (VN & QH). And of course, there would be plenty of space for budget and domestic carriers such as Pacific Airlines (its hub is here in SGN), VASCO (SGN is also its hub), VietJet (SGN is the center of its route network), Vietravel Airlines, Vietstar, KiteAir (Thiên Minh Group), as well as a part of domestic capacity from VN and QH.

Antaras
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:32 pm

The complete Long Thành International Airport project infographic:
Original infographic: https://e.vnexpress.net/infographics/ec ... 13920.html
Edited and updated some details by me corresponding to the latest updates.

Antaras
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:36 pm

The cost to build the airport is re-evaluated and now it is $111 million cheaper than before:
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/business/e ... 72249.html
The State Appraisal Council has reduced the cost of the first phase of Long Thanh International Airport by $111 million after assessing its feasibility study.

It estimated the cost of the proposed airport in the southern Dong Nai Province at VND109.1 trillion ($4.7 billion), or 2.2 percent lower than the Ministry of Transport’s price tag, due to lower construction and management costs.

The cost has worried some lawmakers, who say it is higher than for similar projects in other countries.

But the Airports Corporation of Vietnam (ACV), which is developing the project, has said it is similar to the cost of Beijing Daxing International Airport in China and Istanbul Airport in Turkey.

After all three phases are completed in 2050 at a total estimated cost of VND336.63 trillion ($16 billion), it will be able to handle 100 million passengers and five million tons of cargo a year.
[4 terminals + 4 runways]

Antaras
Topic Author

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:55 pm

A complete facilities map of the airport:
The authorities are spending up to $206.4mn to build those red-circled roads for the airport.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:41 am

The facilities map of the airport's first phase, including one terminal and one runway:
(c) MAUR

The yellow frame is the land for the airport for the next phases, with up to 4 runways and 4 terminals.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:44 am

The construction will be approved in the next few weeks and should be started in the First Quarter of 2021

Regarding the investment project to build Long Thanh International Airport phase 1, the Deputy Prime Minister assigned the Government Office to soon carry out procedures to submit to the Prime Minister for consideration and decision to approve the feasibility study report, judgment. The Ministry of Transport and agencies and units gather human resources, proactively and actively accelerate the progress of related legal procedures, prepare all necessary conditions to strive to start the project in the first quarter of 2021.

MrHMSH

Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:49 am

I passed through SGN today, when it’s not Tet it’s fairly easy, 15 minutes from arrival to through security, but deary me that domestic terminal is dingy. Night and day compared to the intl terminal.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:18 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
I passed through SGN today, when it’s not Tet it’s fairly easy, 15 minutes from arrival to through security, but deary me that domestic terminal is dingy. Night and day compared to the intl terminal.

Mid-august I went to SGN International Terminal to catch a JAL flight to HND.
The int'l terminal was so empty, and I don't think that there were more than 100 people in the terminal that day.

Antaras
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:04 pm

Yesterday marked a milestone of the project when the land-clearance process was officially finished. To be more specific, the local authorities have transferred 2589ha of land to the investors, including 1810ha of prioritized land for the first phase of the airport.

https://tuoitre.vn/ban-giao-2589-ha-dat ... 639867.htm

Antaras
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:49 am

A closer look at the airport's first phase, featuring the Terminal, as well as the taxiway, the parking lots and the runway of the airport.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... hase_I.png

Antaras
Topic Author

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:48 pm

The Vietnamese government has officially approved the airport project.

https://vnexpress.net/chinh-phu-phe-duy ... 90743.html
On 11/11, Deputy Prime Minister Trinh Dinh Dung signed a decision approving the investment project to build Long Thanh International Airport, phase one. This will be the country's important international airport and an international air transit hub for the region.

Long Thanh Airport phase 1 has a runway, a passenger terminal, and synchronous auxiliary items with a capacity of 25 million passengers, 1.2 million tons of cargo per year. The work is expected to be completed in 2025.

The project is divided into 4 component projects, including headquarters works of state management agencies; works in service of flight management; Essential works in airports and other works. In particular, essential works such as airport buildings, aircraft parking, passenger terminals, cargo terminals ... are assigned to Airport Corporation of Vietnam (ACV) as the investor by the capital of the business.

The main construction items of the airport include: runway with a length of 4,000 meters, a width of 75 meters (?), and a system of taxiways, apron; the passenger terminal has a design capacity of 25 million passengers/year, a total floor area of 373,000 m2.

Long Thanh Airport is planned in 3 phases to 2040, including 4 runways, 4 passenger terminals, and auxiliary items to ensure a capacity of 100 million passengers and 5 million tons of cargo. chemical every year.

Antaras
Topic Author

Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:13 pm

Some more look at the design of the airport.
It is a surprise to know that the designer of the new airport is Heerim - also the designer of Incheon Terminal 2.
Departure Terminal:
Entry Area:
Restaurants and stores area:
Pre-boarding area:
Check-in area:
Above pictures (c) VnExpress.net

Pictures from Heerim shows some more views on the Terminals:

FromCDGtoSYD

Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:13 pm

The interior definitely is reminiscent of ICN T2 with the use of wood and very rectangular arrangements.
I really don't understand the terminal design though, it looks very inefficient in terms of gate space... would be a big mistake if they decide to go through with the plan to make 4 of the same terminal. Anything will be better than SGN though, the hallway past security is a jungle during VN's departure banks and the amount of small shops make it feel more like a market than an airport terminal.
That being said I like the small size of the current terminal, walking from the lounge to the gate is never a problem.

Antaras
Topic Author

Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:52 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
The interior definitely is reminiscent of ICN T2 with the use of wood and very rectangular arrangements.
I really don't understand the terminal design though, it looks very inefficient in terms of gate space... would be a big mistake if they decide to go through with the plan to make 4 of the same terminal. Anything will be better than SGN though, the hallway past security is a jungle during VN's departure banks and the amount of small shops make it feel more like a market than an airport terminal.
That being said I like the small size of the current terminal, walking from the lounge to the gate is never a problem.

Theoretically, the gov't will use the same terminal design for all 4 terminals. However, as it may take up to 5-10 years for the second terminal to be constructed after the first one entered service, I hope that the airport owner will have time to re-evaluate the efficiency of the terminal design to create suitable edit and update on the design of the next terminals.

I see that the Vietnamese are still having a problem choosing a good terminal design. They seem to prefer beauty to efficiency. Just have a look at the "pure-Vietnamese design" of HAN T1: even though it is beautiful, it is ridiculously unscientific and made a mess every time I need to find my flight's gate at this terminal.

Antaras
Topic Author

Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:44 pm

The newest update shows that the construction of the new airport would begin in December this year, and the projected commercial service introduction is December 2025.
https://www.baogiaothong.vn/chu-tich-ac ... 85922.html
Currently, ACV (Airport Corp of Vietnam) is completing the detailed Project implementation plan and schedule in 60 months, with the commencement milestone in December 2020 and putting the project into operation in December 2020.

Before and after the project was approved, the Government, the Ministry of Transport, and Đồng Nai local authorities issued specific instructions. A lot of project preparation work has been implemented by ACV. The work that needs to be done, right now is urgently completing the documents, investment procedures, and receiving the land in accordance with the law to start the project at the end of December 2020, welcome the XIII National Party Congress.

Seems like the government is rushing the development of the airport.

FromCDGtoSYD

Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:56 pm

Antaras wrote:
I see that the Vietnamese are still having a problem choosing a good terminal design. They seem to prefer beauty to efficiency. Just have a look at the "pure-Vietnamese design" of HAN T1: even though it is beautiful, it is ridiculously unscientific and made a mess every time I need to find my flight's gate at this terminal.

Couldn't agree more, from check-in to boarding the design of HAN really confuses me. Talk about inefficiency...
At least the new international terminal seems to have been built with practicality in mind.
Luckily Long Thanh is being built with space and future proofing in mind. If they decide the keep the current terminal and expand it with satellites, they can. SGN deserves a state of the art hub, I just hope it doesn't end up looking run down in a few years like BKK or KUL

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:38 am

The airport operators say that the newest technologies will be applied to the new airport, including AI, big data, automation system...
https://thanhnien.vn/kinh-doanh/chinh-s ... 04553.html
Notably, artificial intelligence (AI) and big data technology will be applied for the first time to passenger check-in and immigration systems, to support the identification and calculation of passengers through biometric data (face, fingerprints) ...
The consultant also designs automation technology currently applied to new terminals of major airports in the world such as ICN T2, SIN T4 ..., for automated technical equipment systems at Long Thanh airport. Accordingly, the systems that support passengers with self-check-in procedures, supporting passengers with their own baggage check-in procedures, are all automatic.

Moreover, the new airport would be featured with a 123m (403.5ft) ATC Tower, which is projected to be the third tallest ATC Tower on Earth after BKK (132.2m/434ft), KUL (130m/426ft), and slightly taller than our current third-place ATL (121.31m/398ft). Just as mentioned, this ATC Tower would be modernized with the newest technologies and equipment.

The early design of the ATC tower was revealed by Vietnam Air Traffic Management Corp. (VATM), a state-owned enterprise being the main investor of the ATC tower as well as traffic-managing facilities of the new airport. However, we have the right to be disappointed about this design: it seems more like the biggest microphone on Earth rather than the world's third-tallest ATC tower :rotfl:
(c) VATM

Antaras
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:07 pm

Here we go the official English report confirming that the airport construction will be started next month. The airport will be constructed in approx 60 months (5 years) and due to be completed its first phase (1 terminal + 1 runway) in Late 2025.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/business/e ... 92439.html
The Airports Corporation of Vietnam (ACV) plans to begin construction of the Long Thanh International Airport in December and complete it by 2025.

With sufficient capital in hand and the fact that Dong Nai Province, where their airport will be built, has handed over 1,800 hectares of landed needed for the first phase, the ACV is making a detailed 60-month construction plan.

The chairman also stated that ACV, as well as all of the investors, have enough capital for this gigantic project:
Lai Xuan Thanh, chairman of the corporation which has been assigned to be the project's main developer, told VnExpress that it will pour over VND99 trillion ($4.28 billion), or 91 percent of total capital needed, into the first phase of the airport.

The money will be sourced from its current cash reserves of over VND29 trillion, with an additional sum of VND6.9 trillion in the 2020-2025 period, and the rest from commercial loans and bonds.

The corporation has signed memoranda of understanding valued at over VND143 trillion with 12 organizations for funding the project, which exceeds the amount needed.

The government last week approved the construction of the $4.6 billion first phase of the Long Thanh International Airport.

At this moment, the authorities still haven't registered this airport internationally as there is still no IATA or ICAO code for this airport.

The first phase of the airport contains 1 runway (4000m * 75m) and 1 terminal with a capacity of 25 million pax per year. When finishing all 4 phases, the airport will have four 4000m*75m runways, 4 terminals with the total capacity of 100mil pax/year, and unofficial sources say that it can even hold up to 120mil pax. And in fact, with plenty of space would be still available around the airport even after finishing Phase 3, I believe that this airport can be expanded even further and bigger. Rumors say that there is enough space for a small domestic terminal which can be built in the next 20-30 years.

https://laodong.vn/kinh-te/san-bay-long ... 765543.ldo

The pink areas are the projected "backup land" which can be used for expansion in the next decade. And in fact, it can be enough for one more terminal.

Antaras
Topic Author

Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:47 pm

There are arguments that say that this airport would be using an unnecessary big area of land, up to 50 km2.
A bit of comparison

Singapore Changi (SIN)
Capacity: 85 million pax per year
Number of terminals: 4 (+concourses)
Number of runways:3 (4000m)
Area used: 13 km2

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi (BKK)
Capacity: 60 million pax per year
Number of terminals: 3
Number of runways: 3 (3700m - 4000m)
Area used: 32.4 km2

Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta (ATL)
Capacity: 55 million pax per year
Number of terminals: 2 (+concourses)
Number of runways: 5 (2743m - 3776m)
Area used: 19 km2

Meanwhile, Đồng Nai - Long Thành
Capacity: 100 million pax per year
Number of terminals: 4
Number of runways: 4 (4000m)
Area used: 50 km2

How do you think about this?

Antaras
Topic Author

Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:45 pm

The government is suggested soon deploy a light railway network directly connecting SGN and the new airport
http://www.baodongnai.com.vn/tintuc/202 ... t-3034518/
At the meeting with the leaders of the Ministry of Transport and Communications on the handover of land for the construction of the Long Thanh Int'l Airport phase 1 on December 7, the provincial People's Committee leaders suggested to the MoT to soon deployed procedures, inviting investors to build a light railway connecting Long Thanh airport with Tan Son Nhat airport.

According to the Chairman of the Provincial People's Committee Cao Tien Dung, the light rail line connecting Long Thanh airport and Tan Son Nhat airport is now in the plan. Therefore, the early deployment of procedures to invest in this railway is very convenient. The light railway connecting the two airports when completed construction will meet the travel needs of passengers when Long Thanh Airport phase 1 is completed and put into operation.

At this moment, the connectivity between 2 airports is still a disaster with 1 hour going by car, go straight through the crowded Saigon downtown (where there're lots of traffic jam).

The Vietnamese need to see the Haneda-Narita problem as a lesson.

Carreidas160

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:07 am

Good news for Saigon ! It's finally coming ! I'll never get tired of SGN but I must I won't regret its immigration queues.

It's worth noting there are also some talks about either expanding HAN or build a new airport south of Hanoi.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:53 am

Carreidas160 wrote:
Good news for Saigon ! It's finally coming ! I'll never get tired of SGN but I must I won't regret its immigration queues.

It's worth noting there are also some talks about either expanding HAN or build a new airport south of Hanoi.

It is worth building a new airport in the south of Hanoi because the current HAN locates in a highly-populated area, any expansion would be extremely expensive and unnecessary.
Btw, I created a thread about HAN's expansion plan (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1450961) and the suggestion for Hanoi's second airport (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1452435). Have a look ;)

MrHMSH

Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:35 am

A relatively quick (and nonstop) rail line to the centre of Saigon would be very useful. Airports without good rail links are a real pain sometimes, though many slate it for being inconvenient I think LGW has a far superior public transport network to LHR for example, especially if you're outside London. Connecting to Ben Thanh central station when completed seems logical, albeit very difficult logistically.

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:26 am

MrHMSH wrote:
A relatively quick (and nonstop) rail line to the centre of Saigon would be very useful. Airports without good rail links are a real pain sometimes, though many slate it for being inconvenient I think LGW has a far superior public transport network to LHR for example, especially if you're outside London. Connecting to Ben Thanh central station when completed seems logical, albeit very difficult logistically.

It is more simple than our expectations.
Based on Long Thành's current position, from the new airport, we can make a rail-line run parallelly with the Long Thành-Dầu Giây Expressway to Saigon's District 2. From that, the suggested rail line can connect and join the Bến Thành - Suối Tiên route in Rạch Chiếc or An Phú station, where we can go straight to the Bến Thành hub, step on the Bến Thành - Tham Lương railway which would go over the Tân Bình - District 12 area (near SGN), and then you can approach SGN by going down the Hoàng Văn Thụ station which belongs to the mentioned route, locates just a few miles from SGN.
The Bến Thành - Suối Tiên route will enter commercial service in 2021, while the Bến Thành - Tham Lương route is projected to be finished in 2026. According to what we need (is one more line from Long Thành to An Phú/Rạch Chiếc?), we can go directly from Long Thành to Tân Sơn Nhất by the urban railway (metro) from 2030-2035, not too late.
Here is the illustration:
Original image from Wikipedia, edited by me.

Carreidas160

Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:19 am

Antaras wrote:
Carreidas160 wrote:

It is worth building a new airport in the south of Hanoi because the current HAN locates in a highly-populated area, any expansion would be extremely expensive and unnecessary.
Btw, I created a thread about HAN's expansion plan (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1450961) and the suggestion for Hanoi's second airport (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1452435). Have a look ;)

Cảm ơn anh! This is a topic I have a deep interest in and given the relatively few information available, this thread is a real gold mine (as well as the one about HAN). Going forward, we could eventually see tier 2 and 3 cities like DAD, CXR and HPH expand their facilities (rather than build brand new plateformes, which was achieved in the past 20 years with NHA for instance).

rhysflies

Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:52 am

Antaras wrote:
Moreover, the new airport would be featured with a 123m (403.5ft) ATC Tower, which is projected to be the third tallest ATC Tower on Earth after BKK (132.2m/434ft), KUL (130m/426ft), and slightly taller than our current third-place ATL (121.31m/398ft). Just as mentioned, this ATC Tower would be modernized with the newest technologies and equipment.

Is there any reason why taller is good? Presumably you can see further? Or is this just a dick-measuring contest...

Antaras
Topic Author

Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:51 pm

rhysflies wrote:
Antaras wrote:

Is there any reason why taller is good? Presumably you can see further? Or is this just a dick-measuring contest...

May be just for show...

potter787

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:25 am

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

I don't understand what is the problem with the terminal design. I think the pier design is pretty common (used in Daxing, ICN, etc) as it squeezes more gates into the same space thus allowing higher terminal capacity and more connections without changing terminal. The downside I can see is if you have to catch a connecting flight from a different pier then it would be a pain but this terminal doesn't look that big so hopefully it will not be a big issue.

Antaras
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:21 am

potter787 wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

I don't understand what is the problem with the terminal design. I think the pier design is pretty common (used in Daxing, ICN, etc) as it squeezes more gates into the same space thus allowing higher terminal capacity and more connections without changing terminal. The downside I can see is if you have to catch a connecting flight from a different pier then it would be a pain but this terminal doesn't look that big so hopefully it will not be a big issue.

The terminal area would be 373,000 m2, don't know is it big or small.
But I won't surprise when you have to move up to miles by yourself if you have connecting flights

FromCDGtoSYD

Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:44 am

potter787 wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

Don't get me wrong, the pier design is fine, centralised checkin and security in a large headhouse and smaller piers. What I mean is because of the shape of the terminal, building 4 of them would lead to lots of lost space. A lotus shaped main terminal with a toast rack satellite terminal arrangement would be a sufficient compromise.

Furthermore, unlike IST and to a lesser degree ICN (T2) the piers aren't arranged in a rectangular shape but are rounded. This leads to lost space between taxiways. That being said, considering the size of the land (twice the size of CDG I think?) I don't think saving space is a concern.

potter787

Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:02 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

Don't get me wrong, the pier design is fine, centralised checkin and security in a large headhouse and smaller piers. What I mean is because of the shape of the terminal, building 4 of them would lead to lots of lost space. A lotus shaped main terminal with a toast rack satellite terminal arrangement would be a sufficient compromise.

Furthermore, unlike IST and to a lesser degree ICN (T2) the piers aren't arranged in a rectangular shape but are rounded. This leads to lost space between taxiways. That being said, considering the size of the land (twice the size of CDG I think?) I don't think saving space is a concern.

I totally agree with you here. Building 4 lotus-shaped terminals is not the best way. It could be better with satellite or even starfish-shaped.

I don't think saving land space is the concern here, it's more on construction cost, the pier design (rectangular or rounded) allow gates to be built on both sides not one side like a long linear terminal.

Antaras
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:33 pm

potter787 wrote:
FromCDGtoSYD wrote:

I totally agree with you here. Building 4 lotus-shaped terminals is not the best way. It could be better with satellite or even starfish-shaped.

I don't think saving land space is the concern here, it's more on construction cost, the pier design (rectangular or rounded) allow gates to be built on both sides not one side like a long linear terminal.

Based on the design, seems like Vietnam would do that. Four lotus-shaped terminals in 2050.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... erview.jpg

Don't know if Vietnam will revise the design of the airport for the next phases. The satellite and the starfish design were suggested in the designing phase of the airport, but finally, the lotus design was chosen.
https://zingnews.vn/can-canh-9-mau-thie ... 01471.html

Fact: all of the designs are chosen and voted by the Vietnamese citizens through Facebook and media sites. And of course, many of them just only care about the beauty, not the science and the operational benefits of the terminals' designs (they couldn't understand those aspects, anyway)

Antaras
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:46 pm

The main investor and owner of the airport, Airport Corporation of Vietnam (ACV), confirmed that the financial investors and many donors have committed at least $5-billion for the construction of the airport.
https://vietnambiz.vn/acv-da-duoc-cam-k ... 846518.htm
ACV General Director added that international financial institutions have signed agreements and commitments to provide capital up to USD 5-6 billion for ACV.

ACV also has many other ways to get money and invest in the project:
Specifically, the total investment of Component 3 Project (including taxes) is over 99,000 billion VND (~$4.3-billion). The project investment capital source is from at least 36,102 billion VND ($1.6-billion).

The rest is funded by loans (not using government guarantees) and other legal sources (including equity) as regulated.

General Director of ACV said, "The company will continue to build capital mobilization plans on the basis of the available money and project disbursement progress from time to time".

With capital raising plans including the increase in charter capital, the company will step by step follow the project's progress: increasing charter capital, issuing bonds, borrowing legal sources, ... are also being company consideration.

Following the good news about the new airport, ACV's stock price has been rising rapidly on UPCoM (Unlisted Public Company Market) and reached the pre-Covid price.
https://finance.vietstock.vn/ACV/tin-tuc-su-kien.htm

potter787

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:11 am

Yeah I quite like LT06 design, it is the most efficient design among those submitted. Well anything can change in Vietnam, terminal 2 will not be built for another 7-10 years so who knows.

By the way, I really admire your passion for Vietnam aviation, have you ever thought of creating a dedicated thread for that? It would be easier to follow

Antaras
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:29 am

potter787 wrote:
Yeah I quite like LT06 design, it is the most efficient design among those submitted. Well anything can change in Vietnam, terminal 2 will not be built for another 7-10 years so who knows.

I predict that T2 would also feature the T1-lotus design. If we want something new perhaps we must wait until Phase 3 (T3 and T4, as well as full 4 runways).
potter787 wrote:
By the way, I really admire your passion for Vietnam aviation, have you ever thought of creating a dedicated thread for that? It would be easier to follow

Thank you. Because I'm Vietnamese, I have a big interest in my country's aviation ;)
I am thinking about creating a 2021 master-thread for Vietnam or Southeast Asia aviation.
Vietnam itself may be too small and too little info for a whole separate/dedicated thread. But who knows, New Zealand, the Philippines, and many smaller countries have their own dedicated threads, so I will be seriously considering your suggestion ;)

Antaras
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:34 pm

Official: the government has confirmed that the official construction to be started on January 5th, 2021 (next week)

Vietnamese report: https://vnexpress.net/san-bay-long-than ... 14321.html
The project of Long Thanh International Airport, phase one with a capacity of 25 million passengers, will start on January 5, 2021, according to Transport Minister Nguyen Van The.

The transport industry leader also said that after beginning the construction of the airport, the contractors will immediately deploy the items of fences, concrete structures, runways.

Currently, Dong Nai Local Authorities have handed over the first phase to the investors 1,600 hectares of clean ground, the remaining 200 hectares of land people have not relocated because there is no resettlement site. The investor is the Airports Corporation of Vietnam (ACV) conducted a bomb and mine check for the entire land area.

"Progress of project investment preparation up to now has been basically controlled, striving to complete as planned by 2025", Mr. The said.

According to the plan, the airport is built in 3 phases to 2040, including 4 runways, 4 passenger terminals, and ancillary items to ensure a capacity of 100 million passengers and 5 million tons of goods per year.

Antaras
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:46 pm

Antaras wrote:
The complete Long Thành International Airport project infographic:
Original infographic: https://e.vnexpress.net/infographics/ec ... 13920.html
Edited and updated some details by me corresponding to the latest updates.

Surprisingly, even though the country was hit hard by the Covid-19, the airport construction is still perfectly following the projected timeline ;)

Antaras
Topic Author

Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:28 pm

The airport's construction is officially started today, with a big groundbreaking ceremony and the joining of the Vietnam S.R. Prime Minister, Mr. Nguyễn Xuân Phúc.
The first work for the airport is the bomb and mine clearance for the construction site, to be started immediately.
https://tuoitre.vn/thu-tuong-san-bay-lo ... 323524.htm
https://thanhnien.vn/tai-chinh-kinh-doa ... 25387.html

The investors also announced some more key information about the projects, especially the timeline:
Accordingly, the project is divided into 4 component projects, including:
Project component 1 - Works for state management agencies;
Project component 2 - Works in service of flight management;
Project component 3 - Essential works in airports;
Project component 4 - Other works.
In which, Proj component 3 was assigned to Airports Corporation of Vietnam - (ACV) as an investor with capital from ACV.
ACV has developed a construction plan. Specifically:
- On May 5, starting the project of component 3 and implementing items of bomb clearance, building fences, leveling, expected to disburse about 6,000 billion VND in 2021.
- From January 1, 2021, to September 2021: Deploying technical design.
- From July 22nd: Construction of the passenger terminal.
- From August 2022: Construction of technical infrastructure items.
- From December 2025: Completing works and putting Long Thanh international airport phase 1 into operation.

Antaras
Topic Author

Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:07 pm

The national carrier VN plans investment in the airport, mostly in ground-services operations.
The investment may worth VNĐ 8.9 trillion, or nearly $430 million.
https://vnexpress.net/vietnam-airlines- ... 39737.html
Vietnam Airlines plans to invest VNĐ9,900 trillion ($429.1 million) in the Long Thanh Int'l Airport project, of which 30% is from the owner and 70% loan.

The above plan has just been sent by the Vietnam Airlines Corporation to the Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Planning and Consulting, and the Commission for the Management of State Capital at Enterprises (CMSC).

The services that the company wants to invest in Long Thanh include the supply of aviation fuel (via its subsidiary SkyPec), ground technology (VIAGS), catering applications, cargo terminals, and air logistics centers. At the same time, this business also wants to organize business operations, management servers at the terminal such as lounge services, duty-free sales, and other services.

VN also proposed to work with its subsidiaries to build infrastructure directly or cooperate with the Airports Corporation of Vietnam (ACV) to establish some joint ventures.

A sensical move from VN.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos