Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyRow
Topic Author

KLM back in Cairo!

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Starting 9-9-20 KLM will restart a twice-weekly 777-200ER flight to Cairo. It's been 3 years since KLM passengers last flew to Egypt.

Flights will be till the end of October, KLM will evaluate if flights will continue in the Winter season. It will also be KLM's shortes widebody flight.

From 9 to 28 September, KL 0553 departs from Amsterdam on Wednesday and Saturday at 19.10 hours and arrives in Cairo at 23.30 hours. KL 0554 departs from Cairo on Thursday and Sunday at 01.20 hrs and arrives in Amsterdam at 06.00 hrs.
From 30 September to 23 October, KL 0553 leaves Amsterdam on Wednesday and Friday at 19.10 hrs and arrives in Cairo at 23.30 hrs. KL 0554 departs from Cairo on Thursday and Saturday at 01.20 hrs and arrives in Amsterdam at 06.00 hrs.
All times are local.

Source Luchtvaartnieuws (NL) https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/klm-hervat-na-drie-jaar-lijndienst-naar-cairo
Source KLM (english) https://news.klm.com/klm-temporarily-returns-to-cairo/
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

Asiaflyer

Re: KLM back in Cairo!

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:49 pm

Interesting times to launch a new widebody destination. Just wondering what load they expect?

MIflyer12

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:34 pm

That's an interesting aircraft choice for these times. One might have expected they would happily use a 738 for that distance with more frequency. It doesn't seem likely the choice is driven by cargo when it's not six or seven days a week.

inkjet7

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:37 pm

The Aircraft type seems to point to cargo though. KLM previously operated a 772 to Cairo and a 737 to Tel Aviv because of cargo. They also operated freighters to Cairo. Maybe they want to operate those elsewhere?

Toinou

Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:59 pm

If I remember correctly, some European airlines fly (or flew) widebodies to Cairo (and sometimes to Tel Aviv too). I'm sure Swiss and Lufthansa did, maybe Air France too.
I'm not sure what the reason is. Maybe it is because they need capacity but can't add more frequency (bilateral?).

From (western) Europe, it's a bit of a weird destination: technically intercontinental but only three to five hours away, frequently flown making the round trip during the night (like the KLM flight) which is more friendly to improve aircraft utilization than it is for customers...

mywaterbroke

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:05 pm

Air France still does. With their latest and greatest A350 in fact! Before that it used to be the A340 daily (operated by Joon) and before that the B789. BA also mostly operate the B788/9 to CAI (sometimes also the B773 and/or the former BMI A321s with proper Business Class seats).

Lufthansa and Swiss permanently flew widebodies to CAI since the 70s (and probably even since before that) until the Egyptian revolution happened. CAI used to be flown with A310s and A300s until the early 90s when the switch to the A340s happened. I think LH switched from said A343s to the dreaded A321s in 2010/11 and LX from A343s to the A320s in 2014. Back then LH and LX even used to sell First Class on the route (always full on both airlines, especially with Miles & More HONs). Occasionally you’ll see LH bring back the A330s during the summer season on one of their two daily flights to FRA. They certainly did last year (June-September) and the year before that. LX will also sometimes fly A330s to Cairo. Heck, even OS sometimes operate the B767s and/or B777s once a week during specific seasons. I had the pleasure of flying CAI-VIE in Jan 2019 on the B777 with OS, LH A330s FRA-CAI-FRA (twice actually) in the summer of 2019 and also the LX A330s from/to ZRH. With LX I was actually upgraded both times to F (but of course with J service)

I think Air Italy also often flew A340s to CAI when they still operated.

Great news re: KLM. Hope the route lasts. From memory KLM was one of the most successful airlines operating in Egypt. Just until 3 years ago they flew the 787s daily to CAI. They withdrew mainly because when Egypt devalued their currency KLM couldn’t transfer their funds out of Egypt (central bank regulation monitoring foreign transfers to keep hard currency in the country) and the route just became economically unviable. But the flights were always full and very popular with both tourists and pax flying to North America. If anyone knows more please feel free to correct me

factsonly

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:22 pm

KLM is taking an interesting approach to meeting the COVID downturn.
The airline is boosting aircraft utilisation by extending its network with new destinations:

- Cork - commenced August 3rd
- Southampton - commences August 31st
- Cairo - commences September 9th
- Riyadh - commences September 28th
- Poznan - commences October 25th

Over recent years KLM suffered slot restrictions at AMS.
With COVID freeing up slots, the airline must see network opportunities that will improve aircraft utilisation and strenghten its market position.

Judge1310

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:58 pm

So, with this type of operation for KL between AMS and CAI, do current EU rules/regs allow the flight deck to operate this as a turn, e.g. augmented flight deck? I ask as I'm curious if KL will have crews laying over so long in CAI for such a short stage length.

Thanks!

Jetty

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:27 am

factsonly wrote:
KLM is taking an interesting approach to meeting the COVID downturn.
The airline is boosting aircraft utilisation by extending its network with new destinations:

- Cork - commenced August 3rd
- Southampton - commences August 31st
- Cairo - commences September 9th
- Riyadh - commences September 28th
- Poznan - commences October 25th

Over recent years KLM suffered slot restrictions at AMS.
With COVID freeing up slots, the airline must see network opportunities that will improve aircraft utilisation and strenghten its market position.

Not surprisingly KLM is also the European network carrier least impacted by Corona overall.

adambrau

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:54 am

Judge1310 wrote:
So, with this type of operation for KL between AMS and CAI, do current EU rules/regs allow the flight deck to operate this as a turn, e.g. augmented flight deck? I ask as I'm curious if KL will have crews laying over so long in CAI for such a short stage length.

Thanks!

I recently flew AF CDG-CAI-CDG late July on the 350. Flight arrives CAI at 23h50 and the crew lays over until 01:50 which is technically +2 days but really 24 hours. I think the plane sits in Cairo the whole time as there were only 2x flights per week when I traveled.
JFK Friendly

76er

Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:56 am

Judge1310 wrote:

Thanks!

The freighter service AMS-CAI-AMS operates out and back with an augmented crew. EU rules/regs are not the issue, the collective labor agreement is. And perhaps departure/arrival times also play a role. The freighter runs a daytime service, night flights are a lot more restrictive, schedule wise.

Flanker7

Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:25 pm

Judge1310 wrote:

Thanks!

I think it will be with a augmented crew, cockpit and additional cabin. Over the past month they have done this a lot to certain destinations. Leaving the crew there for that lengthy period is ofcourse an option, not sure what the covid situation in Egypt is right now. I'll see if I can find out what the rotation is.
Flying blue only if possible

Flanker7

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Judge1310 wrote:

Thanks!

They are going to fly there and back without a layover and some extra crew. My wife just got her roster with Cairo on it.
Flying blue only if possible

Judge1310

Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:32 am

Flanker7 wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:

Thanks!

They are going to fly there and back without a layover and some extra crew. My wife just got her roster with Cairo on it.

Thank you for the good response. :)

Nileblue

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:49 pm

First flight (operated by PH-BQK) on its way now

https://fr24.com/KLM553/25748510

Welcome back to Cairo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos