Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
gdubflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:21 pm

Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:57 pm

Wreckless and dangerous, I can't imagine this guy not seeing his card getting pulled and a hefty fine from the FAA and USCG....

https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/08/pilo ... -says.html
 
SPREE34
Posts: 1744
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:09 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:49 pm

Meh. Plenty of room to spare.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.
 
fpetrutiu
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:54 pm

gdubflyer wrote:
Wreckless and dangerous, I can't imagine this guy not seeing his card getting pulled and a hefty fine from the FAA and USCG....

https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/08/pilo ... -says.html


Helicopters fly under Golden Gate bridge on regular basis...
Florin
Orlando, FL
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 6492
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:55 pm

What card? It wasn’t “wreckless” (thank God); but the FAA will call it reckless. The USCG has no jurisdiction over pilots flying anywhere, in the legal sense. I once watched two biplanes did in-trail loops around the Rip Van Winkle bridge on the Hudson River. Can’t say what happened to the pilots.
 
2175301
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:19 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:06 pm

It's not the first time....

There's a lot of room under that bridge...

How the FAA handles it is the question.

Have a great day,

Edited to add: I'm glad the linked article has the time an Air Force Pilot flew a B47 under the bridge.
 
JoseSalazar
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:18 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:13 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What card? It wasn’t “wreckless” (thank God); but the FAA will call it reckless. The USCG has no jurisdiction over pilots flying anywhere, in the legal sense. I once watched two biplanes did in-trail loops around the Rip Van Winkle bridge on the Hudson River. Can’t say what happened to the pilots.

I’d say it was wreckless because he didn’t wreck :D
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:13 pm

Meh, not condoning it but Dad pulled this stunt under the 'New Bridge" in Memphis back in 80's in his crop duster A few were giving the heads up to watch and never got caught. Be's been gone over 20 years but he made some memories.
Last edited by WaywardMemphian on Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
masonite
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:58 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Maybe the pilot just forgot they weren't on Grand Theft Auto and that this wouldn't count towards their 50 bridges flown under achievement.
 
Q
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 10:29 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:22 pm

FAA: Most bridges are forbidding to fly under the bridges. In St. Louis, The Arch Gate is illegally to fly through.


Q
 
rlwynn
Posts: 1508
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2000 3:35 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:25 pm

Is there a rule against that?
I can drive faster than you
 
wjcandee
Posts: 9215
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:37 pm

The article hysterically speaks about the thousands of cars that were on the bridge at the time, I guess implying that they were imperiled somehow.

You know, by coincidence, I actually have video of a BOAT going under the very same bridge while lots of cars are on it. I can't seem to put my hands on it right this second, but I will try to find it.
 
freakyrat
Posts: 2085
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:50 pm

When I was stationed at Craig AFB, AL in the 70's there was a T38 pilot that flew low down the river and under the Edmund Pettus Bridge.
 
User avatar
exFWAOONW
Posts: 738
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:58 pm

They need to re-read “Chicken Little” until they understand the lesson.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?
 
rampbro
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:00 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:07 pm

2175301 wrote:

Edited to add: I'm glad the linked article has the time an Air Force Pilot flew a B47 under the bridge.


"Why do men climb mountains? Or what motivates them to go into space? It's just a sense of adventure that some men have and some don't..."

Non-gender neutral language aside, hell yeah!
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1837
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:33 pm

It would be a big deal if it was a 747. No so much if it was an ultralight.
 
User avatar
SEPilot
Posts: 5649
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:21 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:45 pm

rlwynn wrote:
Is there a rule against that?

Yes. The FAA takes a very dim view of it. But to say the lives of the people in cars on the bridge were in danger is a laughable bit of hyperbole. Had the plane hit one directly it might have damaged it, but probably not because of the suspension cables that the plane would have hit before hitting the car. A light plane crashing into the bridge would do about the same amount of damage as a snowball hitting a house. The people in the plane were definitely imperiled, but not the people on the bridge.

The precise rule is that except on takeoff and landing you cannot fly closer than 500’ to any person, structure, or thing in sparsely settled areas, and 1000’ in densely settled areas. If there was a lot of traffic on the bridge I am sure the FAA would say that qualifies as densely settled.
Last edited by SEPilot on Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler
 
BowlingShoeDC9
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:18 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:47 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Meh, not condoning it but Dad pulled this stunt under the 'New Bridge" in Memphis back in 80's in his crop duster A few were giving the heads up to watch and never got caught. Be's been gone over 20 years but he made some memories.


Never heard about that. Would have loved to see it though. My mom is from Forrest City, so I’m sure your dad gave me some entertainment as a kid while driving there to see the grandparents. I used to love watching the crop dusters fly low over the interstates.

Also, I love how we still call a nearly 50 year old bridge the new bridge.
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:06 am

BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
Meh, not condoning it but Dad pulled this stunt under the 'New Bridge" in Memphis back in 80's in his crop duster A few were giving the heads up to watch and never got caught. Be's been gone over 20 years but he made some memories.


Never heard about that. Would have loved to see it though. My mom is from Forrest City, so I’m sure your dad gave me some entertainment as a kid while driving there to see the grandparents. I used to love watching the crop dusters fly low over the interstates.

Also, I love how we still call a nearly 50 year old bridge the new bridge.


He flew cropdusters out of Bay and Marked Tree. He and Teague(still flying) both had crashes from wind shear in the same week at Marked Tree's muni Airport. Flipped Dad upside down on the runway. Dad flew an AgCat and Teague flew an Air Tractor. Both admired Bill McDaniel, the local duster that they followed. Cropdusters are a rare breed that fear nothing.

The best story is when he and his then brother in law were flying to Galveston to do some deep sea fishing around the platforms in the Gulf. They hit a squall and he had to set it down on Seawall Blvd. And pulled it into a grocery store parking lot due too fuel. He'd landed the Cessna on a frozen Rice field behind the house and did donuts in it once. Need I tell you about the stalls for fun?
 
Max Q
Posts: 8563
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:11 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What card? It wasn’t “wreckless” (thank God); but the FAA will call it reckless. The USCG has no jurisdiction over pilots flying anywhere, in the legal sense. I once watched two biplanes did in-trail loops around the Rip Van Winkle bridge on the Hudson River. Can’t say what happened to the pilots.



Must be the under bridge crossing card


BTW ‘it wasn’t wreckless (thank god) means you’d prefer if he’d crashed
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
 
SteelChair
Posts: 1452
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:37 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:38 am

Small potatoes compared to flying a P-51 under the Eiffel Tower....
 
bfitzflyer
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:02 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:41 am

If I recall, I think the Blue Angels got in trouble once for flying under the Bay Bridge or the Golden Gate at one time.
 
AngelsDecay
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:19 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:49 am

Or a TAP 707 under 25th April Bridge on Tagus River at Lisbon many moons ago on a Training Sortie ;)
"Well be thy one,
and wisdom too.
And grew, and joyed in my growth.
From a word to a word, I was lead to a Wyrd.
From a deed, to another deed."
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 6492
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:54 am

Max Q wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What card? It wasn’t “wreckless” (thank God); but the FAA will call it reckless. The USCG has no jurisdiction over pilots flying anywhere, in the legal sense. I once watched two biplanes did in-trail loops around the Rip Van Winkle bridge on the Hudson River. Can’t say what happened to the pilots.



Must be the under bridge crossing card


BTW ‘it wasn’t wreckless (thank god) means you’d prefer if he’d crashed


Hadn’t thought of it that way, thanks for the correction. Sort of like a near miss is really a collision, sort of.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 6492
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:57 am

SteelChair wrote:
Small potatoes compared to flying a P-51 under the Eiffel Tower....


Mere bagatelle, Ray Hanna did up right....

https://worldwarwings.com/ray-hanna-tak ... -a-bridge/
 
User avatar
SuseJ772
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:10 am

SEPilot wrote:
rlwynn wrote:
Is there a rule against that?

Yes. The FAA takes a very dim view of it. But to say the lives of the people in cars on the bridge were in danger is a laughable bit of hyperbole. Had the plane hit one directly it might have damaged it, but probably not because of the suspension cables that the plane would have hit before hitting the car. A light plane crashing into the bridge would do about the same amount of damage as a snowball hitting a house. The people in the plane were definitely imperiled, but not the people on the bridge.

The precise rule is that except on takeoff and landing you cannot fly closer than 500’ to any person, structure, or thing in sparsely settled areas, and 1000’ in densely settled areas. If there was a lot of traffic on the bridge I am sure the FAA would say that qualifies as densely settled.


What’s always confused me about this is the low flights along the beach here in Florida. They are definitely lower than 500’. I have never been willing to fly that low because of this precise rule (honestly I’d consider it densely populated and wouldn’t be lower than 1000’), but either there is some exception or people break this all the time.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>
 
User avatar
Moose135
Posts: 3189
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:27 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:21 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The USCG has no jurisdiction over pilots flying anywhere, in the legal sense.


From the article:
The Coast Guard is involved in the investigation because of its authority over bridges spanning navigable waterways, said CGIS Special Agent Josh Packer, Coast Guard Sector Sault Ste. Marie.


The Coast Guard may not be able to pull his airman's certificate, but there can still be legal repercussions from his actions apart from anything the FAA might do.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!
 
User avatar
24Whiskey
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:05 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:27 am

SuseJ772 wrote:
SEPilot wrote:
rlwynn wrote:
Is there a rule against that?

Yes. The FAA takes a very dim view of it. But to say the lives of the people in cars on the bridge were in danger is a laughable bit of hyperbole. Had the plane hit one directly it might have damaged it, but probably not because of the suspension cables that the plane would have hit before hitting the car. A light plane crashing into the bridge would do about the same amount of damage as a snowball hitting a house. The people in the plane were definitely imperiled, but not the people on the bridge.

The precise rule is that except on takeoff and landing you cannot fly closer than 500’ to any person, structure, or thing in sparsely settled areas, and 1000’ in densely settled areas. If there was a lot of traffic on the bridge I am sure the FAA would say that qualifies as densely settled.


What’s always confused me about this is the low flights along the beach here in Florida. They are definitely lower than 500’. I have never been willing to fly that low because of this precise rule (honestly I’d consider it densely populated and wouldn’t be lower than 1000’), but either there is some exception or people break this all the time.


You could be 5’ off the water and be 500’ from any person/vessel/structure. That being said I know of a 91.13 event that involved someone doing just that with passengers.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8463
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:41 am

Wind can get real nasty in Mackinaw Straits. There are cases of vehicles getting tipped over the bridge and in one case car went over railing. Hope this guy/girl knew Red Bull Air Race folded in 2019, in case trying to impress them.
All posts are just opinions.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 6492
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:05 am

Moose135 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The USCG has no jurisdiction over pilots flying anywhere, in the legal sense.


From the article:
The Coast Guard is involved in the investigation because of its authority over bridges spanning navigable waterways, said CGIS Special Agent Josh Packer, Coast Guard Sector Sault Ste. Marie.


The Coast Guard may not be able to pull his airman's certificate, but there can still be legal repercussions from his actions apart from anything the FAA might do.


Maybe not,

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Office-of-Bridge-Programs/
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 983
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:16 am

Planes taxi under a bridge at DEN every day.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 15100
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:17 am

Was he returning from Quicky-kiss-it island?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
Max Q
Posts: 8563
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:36 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Max Q wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What card? It wasn’t “wreckless” (thank God); but the FAA will call it reckless. The USCG has no jurisdiction over pilots flying anywhere, in the legal sense. I once watched two biplanes did in-trail loops around the Rip Van Winkle bridge on the Hudson River. Can’t say what happened to the pilots.



Must be the under bridge crossing card


BTW ‘it wasn’t wreckless (thank god) means you’d prefer if he’d crashed


Hadn’t thought of it that way, thanks for the correction. Sort of like a near miss is really a collision, sort of.



As George Carlin said looking up at the wreckage falling from the sky


‘Look, they nearly missed’
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15342
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Especially after 9/11, flying close to or under bridges has become a big no for obvious homeland security reasons. Even before then, there was the risk of crashing on or near bridges, causing death and destruction. So yes, the pilot in this incident needs to be disciplined by a substantial suspension of their flying license.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8502
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:30 pm

Think of all the times commercial pilots - with advanced navigation systems - have misjudged elevation and speed and wound up too far down the runway.

Max Q wrote:

As George Carlin said looking up at the wreckage falling from the sky


‘Look, they nearly missed’


That is a great line, and perfect for this situation.
 
morrisond
Posts: 2867
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:22 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:36 pm

That looked like an Ultralight or a SuperCub - it may have scratched the paint on the bridge if it hit it. Basically zero chance it would have hit the bridge - probably 50-75' above and below it (the span actual height is 155' above water). It looks like it was probably only going 65-80mph. That would not have required great piloting skills. If a pilot couldn't do that in an Ultralight or Supercub they would probably have real challenges landing on a runway less than 5,000' long (when only 1,000-1,500 is the max required for most ultralights/Supercub style). He looked like he had pretty good control coordination as well.

However seeing a B47 do the same thing would impress me.
 
morrisond
Posts: 2867
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:22 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:40 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Think of all the times commercial pilots - with advanced navigation systems - have misjudged elevation and speed and wound up too far down the runway.

Max Q wrote:

As George Carlin said looking up at the wreckage falling from the sky


‘Look, they nearly missed’


That is a great line, and perfect for this situation.


Also because most Ultralight/Supercub pilots would never think of landing downwind and probably do more landings in a few weeks than a commercial pilot does in a year.

The pilot in the video looks like they have skills - I would rather have them fly a commercial jet while I was in it than a lot of commercial pilots. You don't learn a lot about Flying and how an aircraft handles by relying on Autopilot/Autoland and drilling straight holes in the sky.
 
BowlingShoeDC9
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:18 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:44 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
Meh, not condoning it but Dad pulled this stunt under the 'New Bridge" in Memphis back in 80's in his crop duster A few were giving the heads up to watch and never got caught. Be's been gone over 20 years but he made some memories.


Never heard about that. Would have loved to see it though. My mom is from Forrest City, so I’m sure your dad gave me some entertainment as a kid while driving there to see the grandparents. I used to love watching the crop dusters fly low over the interstates.

Also, I love how we still call a nearly 50 year old bridge the new bridge.


He flew cropdusters out of Bay and Marked Tree. He and Teague(still flying) both had crashes from wind shear in the same week at Marked Tree's muni Airport. Flipped Dad upside down on the runway. Dad flew an AgCat and Teague flew an Air Tractor. Both admired Bill McDaniel, the local duster that they followed. Cropdusters are a rare breed that fear nothing.

The best story is when he and his then brother in law were flying to Galveston to do some deep sea fishing around the platforms in the Gulf. They hit a squall and he had to set it down on Seawall Blvd. And pulled it into a grocery store parking lot due too fuel. He'd landed the Cessna on a frozen Rice field behind the house and did donuts in it once. Need I tell you about the stalls for fun?



It seems you might be a little North of where I traveled through, but maybe he came south on occasion. There’s one guy I’m thinking of who has a hangar and small paved airstrip just off I-40.

Your dad sounds like a trip. I hope he and his friend were alright after their crashes! Were there not cars on the road in Galveston, or did he get lucky and catch it at a slow traffic time?

I don’t doubt for a second that they would play around the stall limits for fun. I guess thats kind of the aviation version of a drifting a car. Haha
 
User avatar
william
Posts: 3350
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 1999 1:31 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:52 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Planes taxi under a bridge at DEN every day.


:D Good one. :rotfl:
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12594
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:12 pm

Interesting. When I took a helicopter tour of San Francisco, we flew under the Golden Gate bridge. Is that a special exception to the rule?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
26point2
Posts: 1102
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:01 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:15 pm

§ 91.13 Careless or reckless operation.
(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.
 
kiowa
Posts: 779
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:20 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
Small potatoes compared to flying a P-51 under the Eiffel Tower....


Mere bagatelle, Ray Hanna did up right....

https://worldwarwings.com/ray-hanna-tak ... -a-bridge/


cool, but not a p-51 nor the eiffel tower.
 
WaywardMemphian
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:04 pm

BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:

Never heard about that. Would have loved to see it though. My mom is from Forrest City, so I’m sure your dad gave me some entertainment as a kid while driving there to see the grandparents. I used to love watching the crop dusters fly low over the interstates.

Also, I love how we still call a nearly 50 year old bridge the new bridge.


He flew cropdusters out of Bay and Marked Tree. He and Teague(still flying) both had crashes from wind shear in the same week at Marked Tree's muni Airport. Flipped Dad upside down on the runway. Dad flew an AgCat and Teague flew an Air Tractor. Both admired Bill McDaniel, the local duster that they followed. Cropdusters are a rare breed that fear nothing.

The best story is when he and his then brother in law were flying to Galveston to do some deep sea fishing around the platforms in the Gulf. They hit a squall and he had to set it down on Seawall Blvd. And pulled it into a grocery store parking lot due too fuel. He'd landed the Cessna on a frozen Rice field behind the house and did donuts in it once. Need I tell you about the stalls for fun?



It seems you might be a little North of where I traveled through, but maybe he came south on occasion. There’s one guy I’m thinking of who has a hangar and small paved airstrip just off I-40.

Your dad sounds like a trip. I hope he and his friend were alright after their crashes! Were there not cars on the road in Galveston, or did he get lucky and catch it at a slow traffic time?

I don’t doubt for a second that they would play around the stall limits for fun. I guess thats kind of the aviation version of a drifting a car. Haha



It was very late. Galveston PD helped him taxi to the airport after the storm in the wee morning. About 1982 I think, I was 7 or 8.

Both walked away but the planes were in bad shape.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1925
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:46 pm

Image
FLYi
 
User avatar
DrPaul
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:14 pm

According to this story https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2017/04/michigan_air_force_pilot_flew.html, someone flew a B-47 under the same bridge.
 
Jean Leloup
Posts: 2004
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 10:46 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:33 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Meh, not condoning it but Dad pulled this stunt under the 'New Bridge" in Memphis back in 80's in his crop duster A few were giving the heads up to watch and never got caught. Be's been gone over 20 years but he made some memories.


Meh; counterpoint: My Dad pulled this stunt under a bridge on the North Saskatchewan River in 1973... and wrote off a Cessna 150 belonging to the the Air Force flying club...

-JL
Jean Leloup - original a.net moderator and still recovering!
 
User avatar
SuseJ772
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:33 pm

Jean Leloup wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
Meh, not condoning it but Dad pulled this stunt under the 'New Bridge" in Memphis back in 80's in his crop duster A few were giving the heads up to watch and never got caught. Be's been gone over 20 years but he made some memories.


Meh; counterpoint: My Dad pulled this stunt under a bridge on the North Saskatchewan River in 1973... and wrote off a Cessna 150 belonging to the the Air Force flying club...

-JL


Well, then. While we may not have solved whether this Mackinac Bridge situation was appropriate or not, we have established whose dad was the better pilot ;)
Last edited by SuseJ772 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>
 
User avatar
SuseJ772
Posts: 1002
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:37 pm

24Whiskey wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:
SEPilot wrote:
Yes. The FAA takes a very dim view of it. But to say the lives of the people in cars on the bridge were in danger is a laughable bit of hyperbole. Had the plane hit one directly it might have damaged it, but probably not because of the suspension cables that the plane would have hit before hitting the car. A light plane crashing into the bridge would do about the same amount of damage as a snowball hitting a house. The people in the plane were definitely imperiled, but not the people on the bridge.

The precise rule is that except on takeoff and landing you cannot fly closer than 500’ to any person, structure, or thing in sparsely settled areas, and 1000’ in densely settled areas. If there was a lot of traffic on the bridge I am sure the FAA would say that qualifies as densely settled.


What’s always confused me about this is the low flights along the beach here in Florida. They are definitely lower than 500’. I have never been willing to fly that low because of this precise rule (honestly I’d consider it densely populated and wouldn’t be lower than 1000’), but either there is some exception or people break this all the time.


You could be 5’ off the water and be 500’ from any person/vessel/structure. That being said I know of a 91.13 event that involved someone doing just that with passengers.


I think then it comes down to the definition of congested area or not. I would consider a beach a congested area. So you would need to be at 1000' above and 2000' horizontally away. Maybe that shouldn't be interpreted as that.

I will say your post did finally shed light on the the use of the words "above" and "closer than" in 91.119(c) - I never really fully understood the nuance of that language, and always was essentially saying the same thing twice, until you wrote it that way. Thank you for that.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 6492
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:19 pm

It is not whether you consider congested, 91.119(b) is clear about open air assembly of persons.
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: Plane flies under Mackinac Bridge

Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:19 am

Clearly not dangerous but it's primal to feel that way about something being fast and that close to you if you're on the bridge. Not... that this is really possible since the guy was over water, but what if he suddenly lost control for whatever reason and the plane climbed towards or over the bridge? Seems like a freak accident, but...regs are regs. That's not 500 feet. Curious if there was some really tall bridge if you /could/ fly under it as long as you are 500 feet away from it. I think the 1000 foot rule only applies /above/, although yeah 91.13, as long as it's reckless.
 

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos