Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EVAAIRBR076
Topic Author

Kuwait Airways 777 unusual (wrong go around?) landing at EHAM

Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:27 pm

Don't know if this was posted before. But here is a what unusual landing of a 777 of Kuwait Airways this weekend at Schiphol. If you ask me i think it is a go around but due to not enough lift they eventually land again, luckily. Any thoughts?

https://youtu.be/7GpY8HCVlEs

https://youtu.be/dWJwnIxiAyc

AA757223

Re: Kuwait Airways 777 unusual (wrong go around?) landing at EHAM

Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Wow! I don’t see any go around attempt. Seems like they got slow, then over corrected, ballooned, got slow again and then thumped her in. Whoever was pilot monitoring might need some new underwear, oooof!

DH106

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:01 pm

Looks like he held it off & then stalled onto the runway from about 10ft
...I watched c-beams glitter in the dark by the Tanhauser Gate....

LTEN11

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:13 pm

Lovely day ! Not exactly by the book and they were keen to get off the runway as well. Weather obviously played apart in that landing.

SuseJ772

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:33 pm

DH106 wrote:
I hate that feeling. Been there a couple of times in a 172 and a SR22. Can't imagine it in a 772.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

FlyHossD

Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:37 pm

EVAAIRBR076 wrote:
Don't know if this was posted before. But here is a what unusual landing of a 777 of Kuwait Airways this weekend at Schiphol. If you ask me i think it is a go around but due to not enough lift they eventually land again, luckily. Any thoughts?

I didn't see any attempt at a go-around. IMHO, the flying pilot flared and then held it off, but when the aircraft didn't touch down, (so) it got slow and power was added with the engines starting to spool back up just as the airplane touched down. This is not a good landing, but it is something that happens every day.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

zeke

Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:02 pm

My guess is they flared a little high and had a little gust of wind.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

VS11

Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:09 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
DH106 wrote:
I hate that feeling. Been there a couple of times in a 172 and a SR22. Can't imagine it in a 772.

I have had a couple of such landings in 172 too. Starting the flare too soon....:)

airbuster

Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:55 pm

Landing in rain can change your perception. The odd thing that’s apparent from the first video is that the initial flare is correct then the aircraft starts gaining a few feet, with the rain approaching I wouldn’t be surprised if a gust of sorts messed up their day. The correct thing in HINDSIGHT would be to go-around. But hey I’ve been in hairy situations too where I concluded afterwards that a different handling would have been preferable. As said above, not a good landing but happens every day.
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

itisi

Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:46 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
DH106 wrote:

... or a 77W...
737-300/400/500 ... are NOT classics :)

cedarjet

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:12 am

Flared too high, floated, bit too generous with unloading it and wallop. I guarantee the handling pilot was new on type. Messy but it happens. I would argue the greater sin is the speed at which they take the taxiway turn off, that looks nuts.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Max Q

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:32 am

Interesting,

And brings new meaning to ‘high speed turnoff’
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

CriticalPoint

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:21 am

Should have been a go-around......bad crosswind technique.......bad decision to save it. I bet money that plane touchdown well outside the touchdown zone.

The crew is luckily this ended without bent metal.

N62NA

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:31 am

EVAAIRBR076 wrote:

A bit overly dramatic commentary on the 2nd video!

United1

Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:00 am

DH106 wrote:

Was it a stall or the computer pushing the nose down so there wasn't a tail strike.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

whiplash

Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:06 am

He/She didn't flare high, they over flared. The aircraft gained a few feet again and then just kept pulling the nose up to avoid slamming into the ground, which they actually did as the plane stalled onto the runway. Low visibility creates a lot of illusions.
A320 driver

zeke

Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:47 am

United1 wrote:
DH106 wrote:

Was it a stall or the computer pushing the nose down so there wasn't a tail strike.

Im guessing the person in the LHS pushed the control column forward a little.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

trent768

Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:17 am

If I was onboard, I'd be more freaked out by the Fast & Furious 10: Schiphol Drift stuff that they did when vacating the runway than the actual landing. Or was it just an optical illusion?

ERAUMBA

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:18 am

If you watch the video carefully you can tell the moment they click off the automation (had to have been set to either coupled autoland or was in approach mode with IAS) - to the trained eye, you can also tell that the airplane is very light - a light 777 is always a bit tricky to get in the touchdown zone on speed on a gusty day.

Redd

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:40 am

I may be wrong, but doesn't that look like a CATIII landing?

Nicoeddf

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:45 am

Redd wrote:

absolutely not. In CAT III you wouldn't be able to make movies of landings. Guess about OVC004 or so - easily CAT I
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

Nicoeddf

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:48 am

DH106 wrote:

Didn't stall, at all. Lift dropped with dropping speed and AOA, thats when the plane drops the last couple of feet to the runway.

No pretty landing and a text book example for a balked landing procedure (rather than go around), but by far not as dramatic as many imply here...
from the altar of god

kaitak

Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:13 pm

I wonder if weight had a part in it; KAC 777s aren't operated with high loads at the best of times; a light aircraft in very strong winds might be a bit of a handful. They certainly made heavy weather of it (to use an Irish expression - probably not the best one in the circumstances!) ... lucky they got down safely. Wonder if they'll need a heavy landing check!

CriticalPoint

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:26 pm

Redd wrote:

NO the AP would not be engaged for this landing. The X-Winds are WAY outside the limits of an autoland.

Nicoeddf

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:43 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
Redd wrote:

NO the AP would not be engaged for this landing. The X-Winds are WAY outside the limits of an autoland.

And then again, CAT III and autopilot have no inherent connection. CAT III may be flown as autoland, or manually with vision enhancing devices like HUDs.
from the altar of god

CriticalPoint

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:11 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Redd wrote:

And then again, CAT III and autopilot have no inherent connection. CAT III may be flown as autoland, or manually with vision enhancing devices like HUDs.

Assuming you have the authorization to do so.

For example United 787 have HUDs yet we are not authorized to hand fly anything below CAT 1 mins.

Is there a 777 out there that has a HUD....the X probably does.....but I gurantee that Kuwait 777 doesn’t.

Nicoeddf

Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:16 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

For example United 787 have HUDs yet we are not authorized to hand fly anything below CAT 1 mins.

Is there a 777 out there that has a HUD....the X probably does.....but I gurantee that Kuwait 777 doesn’t.

I don’t know. Haven’t been digging into the possible configurations of the 777. Just pointing out for posters who aren’t deep in topic, that CAT III and autopilot are not necessarily connected.
from the altar of god

deebee278

Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:54 pm

[quote="A bit overly dramatic commentary on the 2nd video![/quote]

I agree. Anyone out there shooting a video in that weather is a true enthusiast and some enthusiasts get a bit overenthusiastic :)

cedarjet

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:08 pm

Let’s put the “stall” idea to bed. Stall speed on a 777 fully flapped is around 100 knots. They’re playing fast and loose with energy and AOA, sure. Stalled, no way.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

flight152

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:10 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Let’s put the “stall” idea to bed. Stall speed on a 777 fully flapped is around 100 knots. They’re playing fast and loose with energy and AOA, sure. Stalled, no way.

Aircraft stall at an AOA, not airspeed.

SEU

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:27 pm

For the less informed, would this be subject to a investigation due to this video being published on the internet? Maybe investigation is a strong word, but at least an internal review?

It does seem like they stalled onto the runway after over egging the flare, to a point you could mistake it for a go around attempt.

Nicoeddf

Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:23 pm

flight152 wrote:
cedarjet wrote:

Aircraft stall at an AOA, not airspeed.

And still, cedarjets explanation was much more helpful and close to reality than your comment.
from the altar of god

Waterbomber2

Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:56 pm

It's not as bad as some say.
They were in heavy rain and crosswind at the flare, de-crabbed and started floating (ground effect), added a bit of power and stick into the wind and then a firm or "positive" touchdown as recommended on contaminated runways.
I don't think that you need a check for this kind of landing, it's well within the limits.
When you de-crab, the aircraft can behave unpredictably and start floating plus you start drifting off the centerline and the crosswind is trying to blow your upwind wing up; if you don't add enough stick into the wind. If you add too much, the aircraft starts banking.
The LH A320 that scraped the wing a while ago shows the tendency to float when getting out of crab and how the wind can blow your upwind wing into a roll.

A good save IMO.
There were thunderstorms in AMS this weekend, I landed there too as a passenger and it was pretty bad.

It's easy to criticise in the comfort of the armchair but to me that looks like a seasoned pilot doing what it takes to bring it home. Yes, the aircraft is all over the place but sometimes it's like having a wild dog on a leash and you need to tame it. Don't forget that wer're talking about a big plane that at the slightest hitch could have a main boggie in the grass and it's not exactly an Extra 300, you have lag between inputs and reactions. Look at the wipers scraping the hell out of the windshield and the aileron (inboard starboard by engine 2 is most visible) and elevator action.

CriticalPoint

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:55 pm

SEU wrote:
For the less informed, would this be subject to a investigation due to this video being published on the internet? Maybe investigation is a strong word, but at least an internal review?

It does seem like they stalled onto the runway after over egging the flare, to a point you could mistake it for a go around attempt.

No there is nothing to investigate. It was a horrible landing and I would say a bad decision to not go around once they started to float but other than that live to fight another day.

airbuster

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:37 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

I don’t know. Haven’t been digging into the possible configurations of the 777. Just pointing out for posters who aren’t deep in topic, that CAT III and autopilot are not necessarily connected.

14 years and 4 CAT III capable aircraft types and never have I even heard this in EASA land.
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

Max Q

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:46 am

airbuster wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

14 years and 4 CAT III capable aircraft types and never have I even heard this in EASA land.

I think SW has approval for hand flown CAT 111 using HUD ?

GGg

Max Q

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:08 am

Looking at that video again the PF did a nice job decrabbing he just overflared a bit and started floating

A go around was probably the best idea.

Saving things at that point when you’re not really close to touchdown is a bit tricky, you need it to come down but pushing the nose over too much will create a high rate of descent, possibly bend something and / or even touch down nosewheel first

So maintaining pitch attitude and adding power to cushion the touchdown is your best plan, it looks like he started to get slower and slower which increased the risk of a tail strike

And I think one of the pilots was well aware of that and made a very positive forward elevator input which immediately put them on the ground quite firmly

The wet runway will have helped that to not feel quite so hard, I doubt any damage was done

There’s also the possibility the 777’s electronic tail strike protection proved that input ?

If anyone can provide an educated opinion on that I’d be curious

Still the most amazing thing to me from this video is the speed at which he turned off, even on a dry runway that’s asking for trouble but on a wet one it’s quite impressive he didn’t end up in the weeds

GGg

BHM

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:21 am

Amazes me how much abuse landing can absorb. Love watching those videos.

Avgeek21

Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:47 am

airbuster wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

At my company we fly CATIIIB manually with the use of the HUD. Even single engine, only a RVR increase in that case to 125 m in mid point iso 75 m. No big deal otherwise, been doing it for many years. (737NG/EASA/CAROPS)

Nicoeddf

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:17 am

airbuster wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

So then this thread increased your knowledge and horizon of the multiple facets of aviation again. Isn’t this beautiful?
from the altar of god

Nicoeddf

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:17 am

Avgeek21 wrote:
airbuster wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

At my company we fly CATIIIB manually with the use of the HUD. Even single engine, only a RVR increase in that case to 125 m in mid point iso 75 m. No big deal otherwise, been doing it for many years. (737NG/EASA/CAROPS)

Same here. Just a different A/C type.
from the altar of god

djvalume

Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:47 am

airbuster wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

The SAAB 2000 is certified for CAT 3A approaches (manual landing) with the HUD

Max Q

Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:17 am

Nicoeddf wrote:
airbuster wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

So then this thread increased your knowledge and horizon of the multiple facets of aviation again. Isn’t this beautiful?

There are times I’ve been completely sure about something and most certainly been wrong. In fact just recently..

There’s always someone out there that knows more than you, not about everything but everyone has different strengths, we all retain a certain level of knowledge but no one ‘knows all’ especially about other operators

Airline operators and their approved procedures can vary significantly worldwide even when using the same aircraft type, it’s really quite surprising how differently things can be done to achieve the same result

GGg

Nicoeddf

Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:02 am

Max Q wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
airbuster wrote:

There are times I’ve been completely sure about something and most certainly been wrong. In fact just recently..

There’s always someone out there that knows more than you, not about everything but everyone has different strengths, we all retain a certain level of knowledge but no one ‘knows all’ especially about other operators

Airline operators and their approved procedures can vary significantly worldwide even when using the same aircraft type, it’s really quite surprising how differently things can be done to achieve the same result

I know and I fully agree. Hence are my words above no provocation, but simply a matter of fact.
from the altar of god

Bavd

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:00 am

Not much out of the ordinary. Long landing. Happens all the time on 18R. Because it is such a long (3800M) RWY, to
Avoid long rwy occupancy times lots of aircraft do sort of the same. I have seen 747s keeping their nose gear off the tarmac for a
Good kilometer. This also saves fuel otherwise needed for taxing down the very long rwy.
Nothing to see here folks, moving on.

Avgeek21

Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:31 am

Bavd wrote:
Not much out of the ordinary. Long landing. Happens all the time on 18R. Because it is such a long (3800M) RWY, to
Avoid long rwy occupancy times lots of aircraft do sort of the same. I have seen 747s keeping their nose gear off the tarmac for a
Good kilometer. This also saves fuel otherwise needed for taxing down the very long rwy.

I'm hoping that is discouraged by the airline and regulator! At my company we MUST touchdown in the touchdown zone as per Flight Crew Operating Manual. My homebase runway is 4+km at a much busier airport where MROT is so much more important. And I've flown regularly to AMS as well. Just landing slightly beyond the touchdown zone and you will get an email or be called into the office. And to prevent problems it's adviced to file an Air Safety Report yourself within 72hrs of the event explaining the event. And not wait for the FDR to be downloaded and it being flagged up and you called into the office for tea without biscuits. Long landings are also a 'reportable occurance' to the regulator. Statistics will be communicated to the pilot community every quarter and provided in detail. And I fully agree with this. Safety and standards always take preference over efficiency.

airbuster

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:22 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
airbuster wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

Yes thank you, thats why I come to this site. My words were not meant as a "closed case" statement but as stated, I honestly have never heard of this in Europe though I knew it was possible in the states. We did CATII manual without a HUD on the F70/100 at one point, so I get the feasability of CATIII manual with HUD.
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

Nicoeddf

Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:58 pm

airbuster wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:
airbuster wrote:

Yes thank you, thats why I come to this site. My words were not meant as a "closed case" statement but as stated, I honestly have never heard of this in Europe though I knew it was possible in the states. We did CATII manual without a HUD on the F70/100 at one point, so I get the feasability of CATIII manual with HUD.

And I should have included a " ;-) "

CATII without HUD makes the AP mandatory at my outfit, while CATIII is strictly HUD without AP and flown only by the captain of the craft. Works smoothly, even single engine.
from the altar of god

Nicoeddf

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:05 pm

Bavd wrote:

Not much to see, true, but a missed opportunity to fly a balked landing in real life.

Apart from that: is this your professional opinion, as in you know what you are talking about with hard facts, re long landings specifically for 18R @AMS? Or the enthusiasts opinion of what you perceive is happening "regularly"?

Because...

avgeek21 wrote:
I'm hoping that is discouraged by the airline and regulator! At my company we MUST touchdown in the touchdown zone as per Flight Crew Operating Manual. My homebase runway is 4+km at a much busier airport where MROT is so much more important. And I've flown regularly to AMS as well. Just landing slightly beyond the touchdown zone and you will get an email or be called into the office. And to prevent problems it's adviced to file an Air Safety Report yourself within 72hrs of the event explaining the event. And not wait for the FDR to be downloaded and it being flagged up and you called into the office for tea without biscuits. Long landings are also a 'reportable occurance' to the regulator. Statistics will be communicated to the pilot community every quarter and provided in detail. And I fully agree with this. Safety and standards always take preference over efficiency.

...quite frankly, what avgeek writes seems much closer aligned to what I see everyday at airports like AMS and even more busy ones across Europe. And what is strictly regulated in the OM w.r.t. putting the thing down in the touchdown zone at, I dare say, most credible airlines around the globe.
from the altar of god

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos