Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bluefltspecial
Topic Author

NY Area Airports to get Rapid Testing

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Headline pretty much says it all.
JFK and LGA have rapid testing for airline employees and passengers, EWR to get it soon for pax.

I flew in and out of JFK to Boston on B6 a few weeks ago and was shocked that
1.) no forms were given out on aircraft or arrival
2.) there was no one asking where we originated from as the people sitting behind us had originated in California apparently

At the time there seemed to be no type of contact tracing being enforced.

Glad to see that NYC is finally stepping up its game, Mass and Maine both really did an excellent job from what we saw while traveling.

I was not aware that Delta was doing rapid testing for their employees.
Are all airlines doing this? JetBlue, American, United?
What about regional partners, are they applicable? I feel like there are as many regional flights as mainline sometimes.

https://thejetset.tv/coronavirus/rapid-testing-coming-to-ny-airports/
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

tphuang

Re: NY Area Airports to get Rapid Testing

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:12 pm

this will be great. I have to imagine this will be good for leisure demand at least.

airbazar

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:14 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:
JFK and LGA have rapid testing for airline employees and passengers, EWR to get it soon for pax.

2.) there was no one asking where we originated from as the people sitting behind us had originated in California apparently

Why is this shocking? Why should there be any forms given out or anyone asking where you originated from? Last I checked there is no travel ban in the U.S.
I live in MA and I know that MA has a requirement for out of state travelers (with some exceptions), to fill out a ONLINE form with their information. But that's all. It's not the airline's responsibility to enforce a state's travel requirements.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:27 pm

The EWR location should be opening up soon if it hadn’t already?

par13del

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:03 pm

A question, after 9/11 the USA government mandated that airports serving the USA implement new security measures, inclusive of new types of security equipment - scanners, x-rays etc - do we know if anyone the world over is giving thought to such raid test machines being on the same level, it would certainly get the airlines back in business sooner rather than later. It would also create additional incentives for governments who are still playing politics versus getting the world economies back on track.

panamair

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:14 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:

The forms appear to only be for flights coming into NY directly from the quarantine states; they ask you to fill it out online. When you disembark, you have to show the electronic confirmation or fill out the paper forms at the gate.

MIflyer12

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:28 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:

This is the absence of national standards. Welcome to Selective Federalism as practiced by the administration in 2020. There are many relevant court cases that limit state or city regulation of interstate travel.

simairlinenet

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:41 pm

panamair wrote:
The forms appear to only be for flights coming into NY directly from the quarantine states; they ask you to fill it out online. When you disembark, you have to show the electronic confirmation or fill out the paper forms at the gate.

And the problem is that passengers can and do travel via intermediate airports. What about an Idaho (restricted) originating passenger that flies to New York via Seattle, Washington (not restricted)? A risk-based approach has been adopted, which inevitably leaves holes.

panamair

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:59 pm

simairlinenet wrote:
panamair wrote:

And the problem is that passengers can and do travel via intermediate airports. What about an Idaho (restricted) originating passenger that flies to New York via Seattle, Washington (not restricted)? A risk-based approach has been adopted, which inevitably leaves holes.

Oh, I definitely agree there are still plenty of holes...I guess more and more holes are being plugged as the number of quarantine states keeps increasing, and some of the remaining 'safe' states are the ones closer to NY with limited to no flights (e.g., NJ, CT, RI, NM, WV).

STT757

Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:00 pm

bluefltspecial wrote:

Glad to see that NYC is finally stepping up its game, Mass and Maine both really did an excellent job from what we saw while traveling.

What about regional partners, are they applicable? I feel like there are as many regional flights as mainline sometimes.

I commute MO-FR from New Jersey into Manhattan via the Holland tunnel, I have never seen anyone flagging down out of state vehicles like they said they were going to do a month or two back. I see plates from Florida, Texas and even Hawaii license plates (must be military), and I have never seen anyone stopped. The electronic signs all over New Jersey tell out of State visitors to call 511 to determine quarantine status.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Miamiairport

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:55 pm

STT757 wrote:
bluefltspecial wrote:

There isn't the resources or even the money to do this other than random "checkpoints." From what I understand what states are doing is looking at any large gatherings and determining i f any of the attendees did not properly quarantine. Other than that it's like Jaywalking in NYC. Doubtful that anyone is going to do anything about it.

I commute MO-FR from New Jersey into Manhattan via the Holland tunnel, I have never seen anyone flagging down out of state vehicles like they said they were going to do a month or two back. I see plates from Florida, Texas and even Hawaii license plates (must be military), and I have never seen anyone stopped. The electronic signs all over New Jersey tell out of State visitors to call 511 to determine quarantine status.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos