Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FARmd90
Topic Author

Allegiant starting 7 new routes.

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:55 pm

Looks like Allegiant will be adding 7 new routes by years end to its route map. All starting in the November time frame and already bookable on the app.

https://worldairlinenews.com/2020/08/27 ... Z1sJi5lKmI

PGD-HOU/MDW Nov. 20th
SRQ-BOS Nov. 19th
AZA-SMX Nov. 19th
PSP-BOI Nov. 19th
PSP-EUG Nov. 20th
DEN-PVU Nov. 19th
BNA-BZN Nov. 19th (article says this is an extension on the seasonal route)
According to the link, new routes operate 2 weekly.

ericm2031

Re: Allegiant starting 7 new routes.

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:12 pm

SMX-AZA seems like an obvious add considering how long they’ve been in the market. And any expansion at PSP seems like a no-brainer...I always wondered why they only served 1 destination from such a seasonal destination that seems right in G4’s wheelhouse.

HNLSLCPDX

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:54 pm

DEN-PVU is a big addition. Glad to see that route back after it was dropped by F9 about seven years ago.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:58 pm

I think they could hit a homerun with Bozeman, summer National Park trips and winter sking.

wnflyguy

Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:00 pm

When I saw this thread pop up I first thought maybe they are coming back to LGB after all.
Only because the LGB lottery application closes today and awards come out tomorrow morning. So I figured maybe they anticipated a minimum of slots awarded to them.
Good to see Allegiant add additional markets from HOU and MDW.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

jplatts

Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:38 pm

FARmd90 wrote:
PGD-HOU/MDW Nov. 20th

wnflyguy wrote:

There are some competitive moves that WN can make against G4 at HOU such as the return of HOU-RSW nonstop service and the addition of HOU-CVG/CLE/ORF/PBI nonstop service.

enplaned

Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:49 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
SMX-AZA seems like an obvious add considering how long they’ve been in the market. And any expansion at PSP seems like a no-brainer...I always wondered why they only served 1 destination from such a seasonal destination that seems right in G4’s wheelhouse.

G4 has tried both SMX-AZA and EUG-PSP in the past, FYI.

LAXBUR

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:12 pm

I can’t speak for Eugene but I don’t know many snowbird types in Boise. I hope the route is successful, but I have my doubts. There are a ton of Californians, particularly Baby Boomers to the suburbs, moving to the Boise Area. Obviously they have some indication they can make it work.

BA744PHX

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:31 pm

enplaned wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

G4 has tried both SMX-AZA and EUG-PSP in the past, FYI.

I believe this is AZA-SMX third attempt

drdisque

Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:49 pm

I wonder if with the multitudes of other options to reach SW Florida from MDW or ORD, how MDW-PGD will fare. Maybe they have enough data that enough people flying RFD-PGD were coming from closer to MDW.

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:06 pm

FARmd90 wrote:
PGD-HOU
DEN-PVU

I might have expected thrifty Houstonians to do Padre Island instead of West Florida. DEN-PVU I don't get - not at all.

SurfandSnow

Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:12 pm

Wow! G4 never ceases to amaze me. Some of these routes, like MDW-PGD and DEN-PVU, will offer travelers an alternative to busier airports like ORD, RSW and SLC. For older snowbird travelers trying to get from Chicagoland to Southwest Florida, utilizing much smaller MDW and PGD could be very appealing.

Other additions, like EUG-PSP and BNA-BZN, will allow folks to bypass connections at major hub airports altogether. Again, for older travelers (people of that age may be more likely to have the means to own second homes and timeshares in the Coachella Valley or Big Sky), the ability to avoid "hot spots" like Texas and Los Angeles might be a big consideration when making travel plans.

Then there's the competitive SRQ-BOS route, which (I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong) B6 and DL both still fly? G4 sure doesn't seem to be afraid of some strong competition - both carriers are quite well known in the Northeast and Florida markets! Interesting to see carriers like B6, G4 and shockingly enough UA making rather bold moves these days, while their competitors appear to be following much more conservative strategies...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

FARmd90
Topic Author

Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:37 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
Wow! G4 never ceases to amaze me. Some of these routes, like MDW-PGD and DEN-PVU, will offer travelers an alternative to busier airports like ORD, RSW and SLC. For older snowbird travelers trying to get from Chicagoland to Southwest Florida, utilizing much smaller MDW and PGD could be very appealing.

Other additions, like EUG-PSP and BNA-BZN, will allow folks to bypass connections at major hub airports altogether. Again, for older travelers (people of that age may be more likely to have the means to own second homes and timeshares in the Coachella Valley or Big Sky), the ability to avoid "hot spots" like Texas and Los Angeles might be a big consideration when making travel plans.

Then there's the competitive SRQ-BOS route, which (I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong) B6 and DL both still fly? G4 sure doesn't seem to be afraid of some strong competition - both carriers are quite well known in the Northeast and Florida markets! Interesting to see carriers like B6, G4 and shockingly enough UA making rather bold moves these days, while their competitors appear to be following much more conservative strategies...

Yeah it’s interesting to see G4 head to head with some stiff completion I feel like on some routes. I can’t speak for DL but B6 does still fly BOS-SRQ and on the day G4 starts B6 has a 321 showing scheduled for that route. B6 is starting at 86 one way where as G4 was starting at 35 one way on Nov. 19th.

jplatts

Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:46 pm

FARmd90 wrote:
DEN-PVU Nov. 19th

G4 adding DEN-RIC nonstop service might be a possibility with
(a) DEN-RIC being one of the top routes without nonstop LCC service, even though UA already serves DEN nonstop from RIC,
(b) F9 not currently serving the RIC market, and
(c) RIC being the 2nd largest market in the contiguous U.S. without nonstop LCC service to DEN.

G4 adding DEN-EUG nonstop service is also another possibility with
(a) DEN-EUG being one of the top domestic nonstop routes without nonstop LCC service and
(b) EUG no longer served by F9.

Other expansion possibilities by G4 out of DEN include the addition of nonstop service out of DEN to secondary airports that aren't served by F9 or UA such as OAK or AZA, even though F9, UA, and WN all already serve both SFO and PHX nonstop from DEN.

MDGLongBeach

Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:50 pm

I was hoping that amidst the LGB slot lottery that maybe AAY would come back and dip their feet back into this market as it'd be nice to have LGB-BOI/BLI. Maybe we'll be surprised tomorrow. Otherwise, good for AAY on their expansions.

HNLSLCPDX

Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:51 pm

I would like to see G4 resume OAK-PVU. That would give PVU service to LAX/AZA/DEN on G4.

lightsaber

Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:03 pm

For those noting WN will retaliate, has SouthWest upgraded their software to allow flights on only a few days per week? These routes will not support daily flights. WN could flood the market with daily flights and just loose a lot of money.

WaywardMemphian wrote:
I think they could hit a homerun with Bozeman, summer National Park trips and winter sking.

Allegiant specializes in liesure routes. Identifying the trend to outdoor camping is key!

I hope G4 beats financial predictions.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

DaCubbyBearBar

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 pm

jplatts wrote:
FARmd90 wrote:
PGD-HOU/MDW Nov. 20th

wnflyguy wrote:

There are some competitive moves that WN can make against G4 at HOU such as the return of HOU-RSW nonstop service and the addition of HOU-CVG/CLE/ORF/PBI nonstop service.

Not a thread for WN counter moves and off the wall route additions... just surprised that you didn’t mention DEN-RIC
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

Midwestindy

Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 pm

lightsaber wrote:
For those noting WN will retaliate, has SouthWest upgraded their software to allow flights on only a few days per week? These routes will not support daily flights. WN could flood the market with daily flights and just loose a lot of money.

WaywardMemphian wrote:

Allegiant specializes in liesure routes. Identifying the trend to outdoor camping is key!

Lightsaber

Why would WN care about most of these adds? PGD-HOU/MDW are somewhat relevant, but are only 2x weekly....

WN has started running some frequencies 3x weekly on a few routes I have seen, and as you know they've had 2x/1x weekly flights for weekends
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Wingtips56

Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:16 pm

Admittedly, I'm not that deep in my knowledge of G4's business, but aren't they really a travel company that happens to fly their own planes? I'm having trouble understanding how the PVU-DEN is going to work, as I don't see a whole lot of travel package interest in either end. You can ski at either end, and neither is a hot spot for snow birds. If they connected over DEN, that would be different.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

jplatts

Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:20 pm

lightsaber wrote:

WN does have the capability to schedule Saturday-only, Sunday-only, or weekend-only nonstop flights, and WN also currently plans on operating some Saturday-only and weekend-only nonstop routes in 2021.

There was also an article in the Dallas Business Journal titled "Southwest switch to new reservations system means hello red-eyes, goodbye overbooking" back in May 2017 that said that "the new system adds flexibility so the airline can tailor schedules to days that are most profitable", and that article can be found at https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2017/05/08/southwest-switch-to-new-reservations-system-means.html.

WN also has a FF base in both HOU and RSW to support the return of HOU-RSW nonstop service, and RSW is also one of the largest WN stations that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from HOU.

WN can also connect passengers to and from other Texas cities through HOU whereas G4 doesn't offer any connections.

lightsaber

Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:59 pm

Wingtips56 wrote:
Admittedly, I'm not that deep in my knowledge of G4's business, but aren't they really a travel company that happens to fly their own planes? I'm having trouble understanding how the PVU-DEN is going to work, as I don't see a whole lot of travel package interest in either end. You can ski at either end, and neither is a hot spot for snow birds. If they connected over DEN, that would be different.

If you read Allegiant's anual report, they rely heavily on ancillary revenue:

warning, pdf:
https://ir.allegiantair.com/static-file ... 63ca7ef082
or a list here:
https://ir.allegiantair.com/presentations

Slide 19 shows how a growing fraction of revenue is ancillary. Only a tiny bit, less than 5%, isn't air related. A growing pre-Covid19 success.

They use travel services to increase profits, it is not yet the driver.

Maybe this specific route works, maybe not. Allegiant tends to find opportunities I miss. I follow them as they opperate successfully in a manner very different than my ideal.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

WaywardMemphian

Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:44 am

lightsaber wrote:

WaywardMemphian wrote:

Lightsaber

Smack day in the middle of Yellowstone and Glacier NPs. Lower costs than Jackson Hole.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos