Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IndianicWorld

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2020

Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:35 pm

LTEN11 wrote:
anstar wrote:
LTEN11 wrote:
So many people who've never had a union go into bat for them, you have no idea how valuable they can be. Most of you will also be shocked to learn that the vast majority of unions work with the employer to get a fair deal for both sides. But of course you never hear of that work, as governments and the media would far prefer to union bash, it discourages union membership and helps big business drive people to individual contracts. That's fine if you work in a high skill job, not so great if you work on a production line, or a warehouse, or baggage handling where it's easy to find a replacement if you don't sign that contract. The joy of that new contract that gives you a 1.75% pay rise for the next 3 years if they are lucky, sounds great, till you realise that you're now expected to work a rotating shift, ie, day shift this week, night shift next week, split shifts, penalty rates are reduced, or eliminated altogether, sick leave gets reduced and leave loading is abolished. Suddenly that new contract has destroyed your family life, your health declines as you can't sleep properly, oh and you suddenly realise that your weekly pay has actually gone down 10%, though your base wage went up 1.75%. This happens everyday and will continue to happen as big business know that low to mid skill workers are individually not important, who leaves today will be replaced tomorrow, with barely a hiccup. However, if there are 100 working together on the same negotiated contract, suddenly they can negotiate in strength, they may give up a little bit and get a fair return.

So for all you obviously highly skilled and sought after employee's who see no value in unions, just think if you were one of the little guys on the factory, warehouse, shop floor, or throwing bags around on the apron, getting paid an award wage and the only way those jobs become worthwhile, is by putting in some o/t, or work the night shifts and weekends for the penalty rates, but they are the things that get taken away from you, see how you feel, especially when that new contract is put in front of you and those penalty rates are whittled away a bit more. Do you sign it because it's a job and some pay is better than the dole for 6 months, or do you not and find out that you've been replaced by a new guy on even less than what you were making ?

Sure unions can do some dumb things, but in the overall scheme of things, they do a pretty good job where they are involved.

Rant over.

Well the last union I was in only had onb oard managers as reps and when they cut the lower ranks it was like... oh there is nothing we can do its the best for the business... then when they went to wield the axe to the pursers it was we all have to stand united... they even threw in shopping vouchers for every 3 members you signed up.... I think unions have their place but some are just not doing the best for their members.

Union reps are suppose to be voted on by there work place colleagues, if you didn't like the job they were doing, you had very right to nominate someone else to take their place. You also have the right to go to the union and express your dissatisfaction with your job site union rep, they will come out and try and help you. I've been at a work site where the union rep wasn't doing anything, the union came out and spoke to everyone and a new rep was voted in, as well the union officer who had our site was changed. They want to help, it is their job and they do literally get paid by the union fees paid by their members, so it is in their interest to keep the members happy. But, having said that, there are always individuals who don't have the best interest of of those they are suppose to represent, happens in every aspect of life.

Just want to say not everyone shares a love for unions and the job they do. Everyone has a different experience, be it the specific union or individuals involved, but I must say some of the things I have seen certainly don’t come across as having the best interests of those they are supposed to represent sorry to say.

Anyway, back to the joy of aviation in these crazy times.

Someone did raise an interesting point recently about AVV and it’s potential to possibly have flights if the borders reopen to Regional Victoria. Although a fair amount of demand is from the Melbourne metro area, could be an interesting proposition if they could restart services earlier.

Bendigo and Mildura could also see services restart, but the real prize the airlines want is for the Melbourne market reopened as soon as possible. That will certainly kick start the national economy, and give the airlines a chance at rebuilding again.

LTEN11

Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:59 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
LTEN11 wrote:
anstar wrote:

Well the last union I was in only had onb oard managers as reps and when they cut the lower ranks it was like... oh there is nothing we can do its the best for the business... then when they went to wield the axe to the pursers it was we all have to stand united... they even threw in shopping vouchers for every 3 members you signed up.... I think unions have their place but some are just not doing the best for their members.

Union reps are suppose to be voted on by there work place colleagues, if you didn't like the job they were doing, you had very right to nominate someone else to take their place. You also have the right to go to the union and express your dissatisfaction with your job site union rep, they will come out and try and help you. I've been at a work site where the union rep wasn't doing anything, the union came out and spoke to everyone and a new rep was voted in, as well the union officer who had our site was changed. They want to help, it is their job and they do literally get paid by the union fees paid by their members, so it is in their interest to keep the members happy. But, having said that, there are always individuals who don't have the best interest of of those they are suppose to represent, happens in every aspect of life.

Just want to say not everyone shares a love for unions and the job they do. Everyone has a different experience, be it the specific union or individuals involved, but I must say some of the things I have seen certainly don’t come across as having the best interests of those they are supposed to represent sorry to say.

Anyway, back to the joy of aviation in these crazy times.

Someone did raise an interesting point recently about AVV and it’s potential to possibly have flights if the borders reopen to Regional Victoria. Although a fair amount of demand is from the Melbourne metro area, could be an interesting proposition if they could restart services earlier.

Bendigo and Mildura could also see services restart, but the real prize the airlines want is for the Melbourne market reopened as soon as possible. That will certainly kick start the national economy, and give the airlines a chance at rebuilding again.

One last comment on the Unions, I can understand people not liking unions, I certainly don't love them, as I have seen some pretty average work by them, as well as some outstanding work, but a lot of the info people get is from media reports and they tend to only mention bad experiences. It is a rare occurrence for people to highlight something good a union does, simply because it is what they expect them to do anyway and it's not what sells for the media.

It's not just the Victorian market that is frozen out, N.S.W. is effectively as well. With the exception of the N.T. and now S.A. from midnight tonight, N.S.W. was basically cutoff as well. There has been scant community transmission in N.S.W. for weeks, which has been very effectively traced and confined. So, like a lot of people in N.S.W. I'm about to embark on a driving holiday to see some more of the state, this is replacing the 10 days in Port Douglas, which was replacing the 17 days in Southern Africa. I'm currently waiting for the local outbreak to close the state, just to stuff up what we plan to do......again.

Aviator34ID

Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:48 am

How many QF aircraft will rejoin the active fleet as a result of the SA opening?

RyanairGuru

Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:07 am

Aviator34ID wrote:
How many QF aircraft will rejoin the active fleet as a result of the SA opening?

Probably none. The "active" fleet has fairly low utilisation so a few daily flights between ADL and SYD should be easy to accommodate.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

VCVSpotter

Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:01 am

Qantas 787-9 VH-ZNA and VH-ZNG are currently headed to LAX, prior to storage at VCV.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHZNA
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHZNG
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell KLM 747-400M

VH-BZF

Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:46 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
Qantas 787-9 VH-ZNA and VH-ZNG are currently headed to LAX, prior to storage at VCV.

Yep and VH-ZNC will return to SYD from LAX in their place, over the coming weekend. Also heard that the last A380 not in either VCV or LAX will be headed there from Dresden by the end of the month.

BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

eamondzhang

Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:26 am

I would say the real big booster is when stats start opening doors to Victoria and WA opens up - then we might see more planes coming back

Michael

VCVSpotter

Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:37 am

VH-BZF wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:

Yep and VH-ZNC will return to SYD from LAX in their place, over the coming weekend. Also heard that the last A380 not in either VCV or LAX will be headed there from Dresden by the end of the month.

BZF

Yup, heard it (VH-ZNC) will be departing on Saturday night from LAX. The last A380 not at VCV or LAX would be VH-OQI, currently at DRS. Surprised that she'll go to VCV by the end of the month, last I heard it was planned in November 2020. Based off these pics (taken September 22), it looks like she hasn't been repainted (therefore likely not retrofitted either). Wouldn't be surprised if that was the last flight of a Qantas A380 in the old livery.

https://twitter.com/PlanSpott/status/13 ... 2117896192

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell KLM 747-400M

qf2220

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:03 am

What is ZNC going to do back in Aus that A or G couldn't have done?

jrfspa320

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:09 am

qf2220 wrote:

Guessing maintenance check coming up?

RyanairGuru

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:22 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:

Guessing maintenance check coming up?

Agree that it's probably something maintenance related. If ZNA or ZNG are approaching maintenance checks it would make sense to park them, while ZNC had maintenance done in LAX did she not? If so then it makes sense to have her flying to recoup that cost, but keep the others on the ground so that they aren't running up hours
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Singapore 777

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:12 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
VH-BZF wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:

BZF

Yup, heard it (VH-ZNC) will be departing on Saturday night from LAX. The last A380 not at VCV or LAX would be VH-OQI, currently at DRS. Surprised that she'll go to VCV by the end of the month, last I heard it was planned in November 2020. Based off these pics (taken September 22), it looks like she hasn't been repainted (therefore likely not retrofitted either). Wouldn't be surprised if that was the last flight of a Qantas A380 in the old livery.

https://twitter.com/PlanSpott/status/13 ... 2117896192

It looks like the refit has happened as you can see door U3R has now been plugged, which is a distinctive feature of the refitted birds. It probably just hasn't been repainted.

Chipmunk1973

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:26 am

Singapore 777 wrote:

It looks like the refit has happened as you can see door U3R has now been plugged, which is a distinctive feature of the refitted birds. It probably just hasn't been repainted.

I understand why VCV is used for aircraft storage with it’s dry climate. But as it a desert area, are the skins or paint of planes more prone to minor surface damage due to winds that may carry fine sand particles? Perhaps that could be a reason why the refitted A380 has not be repainted so far.
Cheers,
C1973

B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.

787SIN

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:46 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Singapore 777 wrote:

I understand why VCV is used for aircraft storage with it’s dry climate. But as it a desert area, are the skins or paint of planes more prone to minor surface damage due to winds that may carry fine sand particles? Perhaps that could be a reason why the refitted A380 has not be repainted so far.

Would think that saving a few hundred thousand dollars is the main reason for it not being painted.

SYDSpotter

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:38 am

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... uent-flyer

REX is now planning to launch a FF program, so much for keeping their cost base down... Also this little tidbit from the article gave me a chuckle:

"Regional Express earmarks the eventual value of its frequent flyer program at between $1 billion and $1.6 billion “in 3-4 years” after capital city flights commence".

To give a bit of context, when VA bought back the remaining 35% of Velocity it didn't own last year, it valued the entire Velocity program at $2 billion in total - that's with ~10 million members. And REX reckons it will reach that point in 3-4 years time despite many predicting the domestic market will only get back to pre-COVID levels by 2022-23. So despite the domestic market not growing, it expects to replicate the value of Velocity, do REX honestly think QF and VA are just going roll out the welcome mat and have REX take a nice chunk of the market !
Oh and to give further context, REX's current market capitalisation is ~$140m, they certainly have their rose coloured glasses on recently...
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

TN486T

Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:42 am

Is there any possible way of getting the flying hours and cycles to date of each of the QF A380's, or is that not for public info?. cheers

EK413

Australian Aviation Thread - September 2020

Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:53 am

Job well done with thousands of workers short changed.

Unions have won a landmark federal court case over jobkeeper against airline Qantas, with the federal court ruling companies have to pass the full wages subsidy on to workers.

If Qantas does not successfully appeal it will be required to make backpay to hundreds of workers, each of which unions estimate could be due thousands of dollars.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... are_btn_fb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

SCFlyer

Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:59 am

SYDSpotter wrote:
https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/regional-express-rex-frequent-flyer

REX is now planning to launch a FF program, so much for keeping their cost base down... Also this little tidbit from the article gave me a chuckle:

"Regional Express earmarks the eventual value of its frequent flyer program at between $1 billion and $1.6 billion “in 3-4 years” after capital city flights commence".

Oh dear.

Might be cheaper for REX to apply for Star Alliance membership, REX doesn't have the baggage that VA does with that alliance and the fees for REX may potentially be cheaper (with the smaller network than VA) with REX bringing their regional network in addition to their proposed trunk route jet flying.

*end sarcasm*.

Chipmunk1973

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:21 am

787SIN wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:
Singapore 777 wrote:

Would think that saving a few hundred thousand dollars is the main reason for it not being painted.

Well I guess that is what I was alluring to. There’s little point to doing a repaint at considerable expense if it’s only going to be weathered/degraded until the aircraft is ready for usage again.

I was just a bit more curious about how much “weathering” a plane endures in a desert area even though it’s dry and corrosion is not so much of a problem.
Cheers,
C1973

B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.

Chipmunk1973

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:44 am

SYDSpotter wrote:

On the surface of the statements I’d agree with you that it seems bombastic and far fetched. And, to the point where you’d consider quoting the famous line from the movie, The Castle, “Tell ‘me he’s dreaming’”.

However, from my perspective, I think they’re seeing this as a mid to long term view. Whilst COVID has certainly changed not only the aviation world, but life in general, they’re still anticipating that Australia will continue to grow as a nation for the foreseeable future. Whilst we may not reach a population of 35 million by 2035 as previously anticipated or projected, it still MAY happen by 2040.

I personally believe they think that these increases are an opportunity to try and take a small slice of the flying public pie. And good luck to them if they can perform this. Time will tell.
Cheers,
C1973

Qf648

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:59 am

eamondzhang wrote:
I would say the real big booster is when stats start opening doors to Victoria and WA opens up - then we might see more planes coming back

Michael

Well WA would be the bigger one I think. There is a lot of displaced FIFO workers currently who are looking to get home or go back to work.

RyanairGuru

Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:09 pm

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:

On the surface of the statements I’d agree with you that it seems bombastic and far fetched. And, to the point where you’d consider quoting the famous line from the movie, The Castle, “Tell ‘me he’s dreaming’”.

However, from my perspective, I think they’re seeing this as a mid to long term view. Whilst COVID has certainly changed not only the aviation world, but life in general, they’re still anticipating that Australia will continue to grow as a nation for the foreseeable future. Whilst we may not reach a population of 35 million by 2035 as previously anticipated or projected, it still MAY happen by 2040.

I personally believe they think that these increases are an opportunity to try and take a small slice of the flying public pie. And good luck to them if they can perform this. Time will tell.

Unfortunately I still believe that is slightly optimistic.

Firstly, unless their private backers are taking a very long term view, I doubt that they are looking at a 10-20 year investment here. But that could well be what it takes under the scenario you are proposing, starting with several years of depressed demand.

Moreover, 35 million is about the same population as Canada today. While the Canadian international market is fundamentally different, being next door to a market of 300 million and only 6-10 hours from Europe, the domestic market is very similar to Australia. Both countries are vast and sparsely populated, with a few large cities in the East (Toronto, Montreal; Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane), one city in the West that plays an outsize role in the national economy (Vancouver, Perth) and a medium sized city in the middle (Calgary, Adelaide). In between are some secondary cities that receive decent levels of service (Halifax, Edmonton, Winnepeg, Ottawa etc; Hobart, Canberra, Darwin, Townsville etc) and then a fair few markets served by nothing but props.

Despite its larger population, Canada has also never really supported more than two domestic airlines. Very much like Australia with Ansett and Virgin Blue, the demise of Canadi>n Airlines left the room for WestJet to grow, but there have been many failures over the years such as Jetsgo, Canjet and others.

The other thing to consider is that while it might be smart for Rex to grab slots while demand is suppressed, as the market grows opportunities for further growth will be limited. SYD was pretty much full pre-Covid, Tulla is getting there, Brisbane will be fine now with a second runway, but Perth doesn't have space for a new runway. Between both increasing gauge and shifting their existing slots around, I think it will be easier for QF and VA to grow in a constrained market. A lot of Rex's Sydney slots for example are held under the NSW government provisions that ear mark somd slots for connections to regional NSW, and it will therefore be hard for them to cut service to Lismore or Broken Hill in order to add more Melbourne flights.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

CarbonFibre

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:12 pm

VCVSpotter wrote:

Skyliner has them as returning to lessor.

https://www.skyliner-aviation.de/regdb. ... av4&page=4

NZ801

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:47 pm

ryanairguru - Perth do have plans for a new runway.

https://www.perthairport.com.au/Home/co ... factsheets

tullamarine

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:39 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:

I think that is wrong. They are owned albeit fully encumbered.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

eamondzhang

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:15 pm

tullamarine wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:

I think that is wrong. They are owned albeit fully encumbered.

Yeah I wouldn't believe skyliner in this instance although they usually do a pretty good job

Michael

RyanairGuru

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:44 am

NZ801 wrote:

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that.

Looking at that link, and then looking at Google Maps, I'm puzzled how it's going to fit in that space but presumably they have a plan!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

EK413

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:56 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
NZ801 wrote:

Looking at that link, and then looking at Google Maps, I'm puzzled how it's going to fit in that space but presumably they have a plan!

tullamarine

Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:03 am

I quite like the PER long-term plan with a central road and terminal complex between the runways, almost like a mini-Changi. I guess in the post-Covid world, the end date for this may be pushed off a bit further into the future.

I would think the terminals will happen before the new runway. The old T3/T4 complex is not great and the airport has been firm that they aren't prepared to put further investment into that precinct. In addition, T3/T4 does not link with the new rail connection so can never be part of any long-term solution.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

jrfspa320

Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:03 am

tullamarine wrote:
I quite like the PER long-term plan with a central road and terminal complex between the runways, almost like a mini-Changi. I guess in the post-Covid world, the end date for this may be pushed off a bit further into the future.

I would think the terminals will happen before the new runway. The old T3/T4 complex is not great and the airport has been firm that they aren't prepared to put further investment into that precinct. In addition, T3/T4 does not link with the new rail connection so can never be part of any long-term solution.

Indeed the centralised layout is very efficient. I guess the other thing PER has is the current runway layout does allow for dual runway use (winds dependent...albeit its not very common) with the crosswind long enough for short / medium haul flights.

RyanairGuru

Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:26 am

EK413 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
NZ801 wrote:

Thanks, but I had looked at the plan, and then at Google Maps, and don't understand how it's going to go there, unless the intention is to flatten the logistics park and car yards. That could well be the plan, but it sounds expensive.

Edit: looking again it's probably just the car parks that are going, in which case it looks feasible and quite a good use of space!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

VCVSpotter

Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:18 am

Qantas A380 VH-OQI filed DRS-VCV 9:16AM - 12:34PM as QF6006.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA ... /EDDC/KVCV

TTJonas

Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:29 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
EK413 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Thanks, but I had looked at the plan, and then at Google Maps, and don't understand how it's going to go there, unless the intention is to flatten the logistics park and car yards. That could well be the plan, but it sounds expensive.

Edit: looking again it's probably just the car parks that are going, in which case it looks feasible and quite a good use of space!

Correct on the carparks being the ones to go.
The carpark was only ever intended to be temporary - built to make the airport some extra income on the side while the land sat vacant waiting for the 3rd runway to be built.

qf789

Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:52 am

REX ambitious plan of launching services on the golden triangle is part of what is dubbed As “project Mother”

If these initial services are successful it would see REX expand from SYD to PER, ADL and CBR, followed by services from MEL to DRW, HBA, CNS, LST and TSV

The plan also reveals that REX would be a domestic only LCC++ with comparable costs to JQ and 5-10% lower than QF

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... -australia
Forum Moderator

zkncj

Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:03 am

Looks like the Wallabies, have found them self an new un-offical sponsor.

They are current in en-route on Virgin Australia from NTL-CHC as VA9015
Operated by VH-YIV (due at 19:21)
https://www.flightradar24.com/VOZ9015/2599b714

Would have though Qantas would have carried them to New Zealand, with there long-history with the Wallabies.

EK413

Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:11 am

zkncj wrote:

Would have though Qantas would have carried them to New Zealand, with there long-history with the Wallabies.

I’d say you have read too far into it. Just like NRL teams flying interstate on QQ charters.

tullamarine

Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:51 am

zkncj wrote:

Sounds more likely to be just a charter.

SYDSpotter

Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:28 am

qf789 wrote:

The plan also reveals that REX would be a domestic only LCC++ with comparable costs to JQ and 5-10% lower than QF

Just to clarify the above quote, the 5-10% is in reference to "fares" being 5-10% lower than QF rather than "costs".

5-10% lower fares than QF is basically the same price bracket as VA pre-COVID. The fares aren't particularly competitive and operating such a small fleet means they cannot afford to have the operational issues that Tiger had with their small fleet. Both VA and QF can and probably will have greater frequency than REX on the capital city routes, so the question for the consumer is, would you go with REX when their fares are only 5-10% cheaper than QF who offer more frequency/destinations/FF earning/redemption opportunities?

Or looking at it another way, would you pay the same price for ticket with REX, when VA even in their smaller form will have more frequency/destinations/FF earning/redemption opportunities?
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

vhqpa

Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:37 am

Alliance to fly CNS-CBR, and MCY-CBR from 23 October.

CNS is quite a long stage for a Fokker.

Alliance Airlines will begin flying direct to Cairns and the Sunshine Coast from Canberra on October 23, with more destinations added in the future.

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12701688
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

jrfspa320

Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:42 am

vhqpa wrote:
Alliance to fly CNS-CBR from 23 October.

Quite a long stage for a Fokker.

Alliance Airlines will begin flying direct to Cairns and the Sunshine Coast from Canberra on October 23, with more destinations added in the future.

Perfect size for the route. Plenty of "long" stage lengths on the F100 in WA...PER-KNX being the longest, although that along with BME has moved to mainline for VA.

I don't know if the planned F70 MEL-KNX ever operated before CV-19 hit?

xiaotung

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:39 am

SCFlyer wrote:
SYDSpotter wrote:

Oh dear.

Might be cheaper for REX to apply for Star Alliance membership, REX doesn't have the baggage that VA does with that alliance and the fees for REX may potentially be cheaper (with the smaller network than VA) with REX bringing their regional network in addition to their proposed trunk route jet flying.

*end sarcasm*.

From what I am reading, REX doesn't intend to be a LCC. If the do well, they are likely to move up market and that puts all sorts of pressure on VA. VA would have to think harder as to whether to apply for alliance membership because if they don't, REX might beat them to it. They are targeting and will hurt more VA than QF. The way I see it is the winner either way are QF and JQ.

SCFlyer

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:58 am

xiaotung wrote:
From what I am reading, REX doesn't intend to be a LCC. If the do well, they are likely to move up market and that puts all sorts of pressure on VA. VA would have to think harder as to whether to apply for alliance membership because if they don't, REX might beat them to it. They are targeting and will hurt more VA than QF. The way I see it is the winner either way are QF and JQ.

It may also help that the Singapore company that owns REX may (or may not) be able to to talk to 'one-time' rivals' state-owned parent company (Temasek). So that Temasek's subsidary may not stand in the way should they apply for Star Alliance membership in the future.

Saying that Global Alliance membership for any of the remaining Australian carriers is likely to be off the radar for the foreseeable future. REX is only a (very) slim chance at best.

AJ

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:51 am

vhqpa wrote:

The flight will route CBR-MCY-CNS and vv.

RyanairGuru

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:09 am

vhqpa wrote:

After my post the other day saying that I thought there would be more interstate demand to popular holiday destinations moving forward, and that markets like CBR-OOL make sense in the current market, I was actually thinking that a seasonal CBR-MCY could make sense. Afterall OOL has been around for years, up to 10 weekly in school holidays, and even hung around 2 weekly over recent months during QLD border restrictions. Furthermore, Tiger is out of CBR-BNE, which would draw some leisure traffic from Canberra to both the Gold and Sunshine Coasts, and the Canberra economy has fared better than most as it is dominated by the public sector which hasn't been hit by mass redundancies like other industries. Therefore in the era of domestic holidays now made more sense than ever for a route like CBR-MCY.

However, I was not expecting it to be operated by Alliance though!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

RyanairGuru

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:11 am

TTJonas wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
EK413 wrote:

Correct on the carparks being the ones to go.
The carpark was only ever intended to be temporary - built to make the airport some extra income on the side while the land sat vacant waiting for the 3rd runway to be built.

Thanks for that. It's quite a narrow plot of land, which is why I was wondering if the warehouses were going as well, but looking at it again I can see how it will work.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Revelation

Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:36 pm

VCVSpotter wrote:
Qantas A380 VH-OQI filed DRS-VCV 9:16AM - 12:34PM as QF6006.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA ... /EDDC/KVCV

Seems to be the last of the QF A380s heading off to be stored:

The final international Qantas A380 flight until at least 2023. All Qantas A380s will soon be in California for storage. Qantas has said mid-2023 is the earliest any of the 12 could fly again.

Ref: https://twitter.com/flightradar24/statu ... 6284422148
Ref: https://www.flightradar24.com/QFA6006/2599ee6e
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

redroo

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:25 pm

I wish Rex well but I fear for them. Australia isn’t a big market and I worry that there will be space for them between Jetstar, qantas and virgin.

Apart from a cool name (which I love) what will they offer that the others don’t? Are they going to be cheaper or better? Or will they try the better but cheaper route that many have tried before and failed?

With virgin pulling back, I think their place is regional. Plenty of routes around the country that the big boys won’t/can’t touch because of cost. Service those, and cut a deal with the big boys on FF / codeshare or something.

vadriver

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:46 am

or feed your own inter-capital flights ..

NTLDaz

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:56 am

redroo wrote:
I wish Rex well but I fear for them. Australia isn’t a big market and I worry that there will be space for them between Jetstar, qantas and virgin.

Apart from a cool name (which I love) what will they offer that the others don’t? Are they going to be cheaper or better? Or will they try the better but cheaper route that many have tried before and failed?

With virgin pulling back, I think their place is regional. Plenty of routes around the country that the big boys won’t/can’t touch because of cost. Service those, and cut a deal with the big boys on FF / codeshare or something.

REX would have some idea of the amount of people on their regional flights who are transferring to interstate flights so they won't be starting blind.

tullamarine

Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:11 am

NTLDaz wrote:
redroo wrote:

REX would have some idea of the amount of people on their regional flights who are transferring to interstate flights so they won't be starting blind.

The numbers will be pretty low. Take MEL for example assuming initial routes out of MEL are SYD and BNE. ZL have regional flights into MEL from MGB, MQL, BWT, MIM and KNS. Some of these are only once daily. Transfer pax to SYD from MQL and MIM will be zero as they can use direct services and some of the flights are only once daily anyway. Let's assume half the pax from a regional flight transfer to mainline (seems a bit high but let's be optimists) That means 17 pax from each SF3 would be transferring to a mainline service but some people would be going to non-ZL destinations so maybe that 17 has now dropped to, say, 12. Assuming ZL had a bank that meant all their flights arrived within an hour ( not really true as flights like KNS are not that common so there will be some mainline flights with very little connecting traffic). That would mean there were 5 flights but only 3 of them had any pax transferring to SYD or BNE flights and each flight had 12 transferring onto ZL mainline services (6 to each). So from the inbound flight bank, each mainline service gains a total of only 18 pax...in other words 10% of available load. They need to find pax elsewhere and, without a compelling pricing proposition (ie less than Jetstar), I don't know how they do it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos