Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smi0006

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - September 2020

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:57 am

The other challenge I’ve heard Rex is having is getting slots, whilst historical slots have been suspended for this season. They haven’t for the next two yet. Whilst the brand tiger is gone the AOC still exists and VA is still holding onto TT slots!

NTLDaz

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:23 am

tullamarine wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
redroo wrote:
I wish Rex well but I fear for them. Australia isn’t a big market and I worry that there will be space for them between Jetstar, qantas and virgin.

Apart from a cool name (which I love) what will they offer that the others don’t? Are they going to be cheaper or better? Or will they try the better but cheaper route that many have tried before and failed?

With virgin pulling back, I think their place is regional. Plenty of routes around the country that the big boys won’t/can’t touch because of cost. Service those, and cut a deal with the big boys on FF / codeshare or something.

REX would have some idea of the amount of people on their regional flights who are transferring to interstate flights so they won't be starting blind.

The numbers will be pretty low. Take MEL for example assuming initial routes out of MEL are SYD and BNE. ZL have regional flights into MEL from MGB, MQL, BWT, MIM and KNS. Some of these are only once daily. Transfer pax to SYD from MQL and MIM will be zero as they can use direct services and some of the flights are only once daily anyway. Let's assume half the pax from a regional flight transfer to mainline (seems a bit high but let's be optimists) That means 17 pax from each SF3 would be transferring to a mainline service but some people would be going to non-ZL destinations so maybe that 17 has now dropped to, say, 12. Assuming ZL had a bank that meant all their flights arrived within an hour ( not really true as flights like KNS are not that common so there will be some mainline flights with very little connecting traffic). That would mean there were 5 flights but only 3 of them had any pax transferring to SYD or BNE flights and each flight had 12 transferring onto ZL mainline services (6 to each). So from the inbound flight bank, each mainline service gains a total of only 18 pax...in other words 10% of available load. They need to find pax elsewhere and, without a compelling pricing proposition (ie less than Jetstar), I don't know how they do it.

Of course they'll have to find other passengers but my point is they likely have a base to start with which is better than nothing.

Flights into Sydney from Regional NSW will provide them more opportunities than flights into Melbourne will.

CraigAnderson

Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:20 am

smi0006 wrote:
The other challenge I’ve heard Rex is having is getting slots, whilst historical slots have been suspended for this season. They haven’t for the next two yet. Whilst the brand tiger is gone the AOC still exists and VA is still holding onto TT slots!

Rex should be able to successfully challenge this 'slot-squatting' by Virgin.

tullamarine

Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:43 am

NTLDaz wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

REX would have some idea of the amount of people on their regional flights who are transferring to interstate flights so they won't be starting blind.

The numbers will be pretty low. Take MEL for example assuming initial routes out of MEL are SYD and BNE. ZL have regional flights into MEL from MGB, MQL, BWT, MIM and KNS. Some of these are only once daily. Transfer pax to SYD from MQL and MIM will be zero as they can use direct services and some of the flights are only once daily anyway. Let's assume half the pax from a regional flight transfer to mainline (seems a bit high but let's be optimists) That means 17 pax from each SF3 would be transferring to a mainline service but some people would be going to non-ZL destinations so maybe that 17 has now dropped to, say, 12. Assuming ZL had a bank that meant all their flights arrived within an hour ( not really true as flights like KNS are not that common so there will be some mainline flights with very little connecting traffic). That would mean there were 5 flights but only 3 of them had any pax transferring to SYD or BNE flights and each flight had 12 transferring onto ZL mainline services (6 to each). So from the inbound flight bank, each mainline service gains a total of only 18 pax...in other words 10% of available load. They need to find pax elsewhere and, without a compelling pricing proposition (ie less than Jetstar), I don't know how they do it.

Of course they'll have to find other passengers but my point is they likely have a base to start with which is better than nothing.

Flights into Sydney from Regional NSW will provide them more opportunities than flights into Melbourne will.

Same issues exist for SYD. Ballina and Newcastle will provide no feed to mainline as direct services exist with JQ and VA. Lismore, Grafton and Armidale will provide nothing for BNE. Mildura, Broken Hill, Wagga, Albury and Merimbula will provide nothing for MEL. This means the only ports with feeds to both MEL and BNE are Dubbo, Parkes, Orange, Griffith and Moruya and even then some of these such as Griffith are dubious when compared with car.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

RyanairGuru

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:02 am

tullamarine wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Same issues exist for SYD. Ballina and Newcastle will provide no feed to mainline as direct services exist with JQ and VA. Lismore, Grafton and Armidale will provide nothing for BNE. Mildura, Broken Hill, Wagga, Albury and Merimbula will provide nothing for MEL. This means the only ports with feeds to both MEL and BNE are Dubbo, Parkes, Orange, Griffith and Moruya and even then some of these such as Griffith are dubious when compared with car.

Don't forget that the likes of DBO, OAG and WGA already have direct flights to BNE and MEB with Fly Corporate.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Kent350787

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:48 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Don't forget that the likes of DBO, OAG and WGA already have direct flights to BNE and MEB with Fly Corporate.

Link Airways thank you :)

But otherwise I just can't work out what the Rex model will be, unless they are just looking to grab a chunk of whatever they can, especiailly with VA wounded.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

RyanairGuru

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:55 am

Kent350787 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

But otherwise I just can't work out what the Rex model will be, unless they are just looking to grab a chunk of whatever they can, especiailly with VA wounded.

Noted about Link Airways!

Back when it was first announced it struck as an opportunistic ploy if VA were liquidated, but now that VA are recapitalised by an owner with deep pockets and a long history of successful corporate turnarounds it just strikes me as insanity.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

SCFlyer

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:00 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Back when it was first announced it struck as an opportunistic ploy if VA were liquidated, but now that VA are recapitalised by an owner with deep pockets and a long history of successful corporate turnarounds it just strikes me as insanity.

I'd say mixed record in regards to VA's new owners IMO. Of course their "Toys'r'Us'" failure is going to come up when referring to those guys from time to time.

tullamarine

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:22 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

I don't get it either. REx has never been a great competitor preferring monopoly or subsidised routes. They are entering a depressed market where there are already 2 (or maybe 3 if you say JQ is separate from QF) mature participants with excess capacity. They have no unique selling proposition that somehow targets a different segment of the market. OzJet was always doomed but at least it tried to be different. Maybe if they had gone the ULCC route, I'd have gotten it but from what has been described so far, REX looks no different from VA but with a much smaller route network. I guess they are more than welcome to try but I hope the government don't try to prop them up when the losses really kick in.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

BNEFlyer

Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:02 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

Link don't serve WGA anymore and DBO and OAG are multi-stop flights (DBO via TMW, OAG via TMW and DBO).

NTLDaz

Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:42 am

tullamarine wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

Do I think they'll succeed ? No. But they will have at least some idea of potential transfer passengers. If they can get ( for arguments sake ) 20 per flight that's 20 less seats to fill.

Why does a port need to be useful to serve both Melbourne and Brisbane ?

tullamarine

Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:00 am

NTLDaz wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
NTLDaz wrote:

Do I think they'll succeed ? No. But they will have at least some idea of potential transfer passengers. If they can get ( for arguments sake ) 20 per flight that's 20 less seats to fill.

Why does a port need to be useful to serve both Melbourne and Brisbane ?

It doesn't need to be but it just makes the maths harder.

20 per flight is only just over 11% of a 738 so a long way to go to a decent load and it's hard to see why O&D pax would bother with them unless they are really cheap.

anstar

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:50 am

Rex have started advertising for Flight Attendants in MEL/BNE/SYD. Likewise Altara have started recruiting for National Jet in MEL... is that for the 717's?

qf2048

Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:01 am

Talking of Link Airways, They have announced on their Facebook page they are commencing 4 times per week service between CBR and Hobart.
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN

IndianicWorld

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:04 pm

qf2048 wrote:
Talking of Link Airways, They have announced on their Facebook page they are commencing 4 times per week service between CBR and Hobart.

Now that’s unexpected.

Let’s hope it works out for them.

IndianicWorld

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:07 pm

anstar wrote:
Rex have started advertising for Flight Attendants in MEL/BNE/SYD. Likewise Altara have started recruiting for National Jet in MEL... is that for the 717's?

Would certainly align with the QF 717 Base announcement.

As for Rex, I really want to see this venture succeed but with the economic climate, along with QF, JQ and VA all likely to fight their turf strongly, it’s ping to be hard to see it being anything but a huge challenge.

qf789

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:24 pm

Latest pictures from ASP, 81 aircraft if counted correctly, also yesterday saw the first CX 77W's arrive for storage

https://twitter.com/Keg767/status/13108 ... 10976?s=20
Forum Moderator

dredgy

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:26 pm

qf2048 wrote:

Are they still operating Brisbane to Woolongong flights? I want to pop down as soon as the borders are open and I can find tickets for October, but it seems insane that they're operating that route at the moment.

BNEFlyer

Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:32 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
Qantas 787-9 VH-ZNA and VH-ZNG are currently headed to LAX, prior to storage at VCV.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHZNA
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHZNG

They're not going to VCV for storage, they're going to LAX for maintenance. ZNC came back on Monday.

BNEFlyer

Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:38 am

dredgy wrote:
qf2048 wrote:

Are they still operating Brisbane to Woolongong flights? I want to pop down as soon as the borders are open and I can find tickets for October, but it seems insane that they're operating that route at the moment.

No they're not flying it at the moment.

Qantas16

Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:40 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
anstar wrote:

As for Rex, I really want to see this venture succeed but with the economic climate, along with QF, JQ and VA all likely to fight their turf strongly, it’s ping to be hard to see it being anything but a huge challenge.

Speaking of the QF 717 base announcement, appears they will be using JQ for maintenance of the 717 fleet in MEL as they are advertising for LAME/AME's

https://www.seek.com.au/job/50633175?ty ... 8ab5216554

VCVSpotter

Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:23 am

BNEFlyer wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:
Qantas 787-9 VH-ZNA and VH-ZNG are currently headed to LAX, prior to storage at VCV.

They're not going to VCV for storage, they're going to LAX for maintenance. ZNC came back on Monday.

Someone I know who works at Qantas and is currently working with these EXACT aircraft told me they are going to VCV (they are still working some stuff out right now though, and things are subject to change right now though). Can’t release time line.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9

CraigAnderson

Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:06 am

Rex confirms lease of six Boeing 737s to start its triangle network, first delivery on November 1

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... 37-flights

EK413

Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:13 am

qf789 wrote:
Latest pictures from ASP, 81 aircraft if counted correctly, also yesterday saw the first CX 77W's arrive for storage

https://twitter.com/Keg767/status/13108 ... 10976?s=20

B-KPJ made a quick turnaround yesterday and departed at 0730L as CX3492 to Alice Springs for parking.

VCVSpotter wrote:
BNEFlyer wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:

Someone I know who works at Qantas and is currently working with these EXACT aircraft told me they are going to VCV (they are still working some stuff out right now though, and things are subject to change right now though). Can’t release time line.

Correct, they are eventually VCV bound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

qf2048

Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:37 am

Qantas16 wrote:
IndianicWorld wrote:
anstar wrote:

Speaking of the QF 717 base announcement, appears they will be using JQ for maintenance of the 717 fleet in MEL as they are advertising for LAME/AME's

https://www.seek.com.au/job/50633175?ty ... 8ab5216554

I was catching a QF flight at the start of August from Sydney. While in the lounge I could see a JQ A320 being moved into one of the QF hangers, for maintenance I presume. Makes sense for the Qantas group to utilise all their facilities where they can.
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN

SYDSpotter

Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:06 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Rex confirms lease of six Boeing 737s to start its triangle network, first delivery on November 1

So based on that article, REX now has ambitions to expand beyond SYD/MEL/BNE and will include CBR/ADL/PER (ex-SYD)…

A quote from the article:

According to the presentation, fares on Rex's capital city network will be priced at "competitive rates with Jetstar and 5-10% cheaper than Qantas," while the services would occupy a “mid-tier” position below Qantas and Virgin Australia but above Jetstar.

So how do REX plan to differentiate themselves from QF/VA when their fares are only going to 5-10% cheaper than QF but will offer inferior frequency, connectivity and product. It's all well and good having arguably the lowest cost base out of all the carriers, but if you're going to struggle to fill your planes, then you won't be making any money.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

smi0006

Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:57 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

Well good luck to them. I do look forward to some more variety in our domestic skies a 737 will look good in ZL livery, hopefully they adopt the hybrid US airways look as it’s a bit less eurowhite.

ben175

Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:08 pm

I wish Rex all the best and I hope they do carve out a little niche market, like Jetblue did in the US.

qf789

Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:34 pm

Please continue discussion in Australian Av Thread- October 2020

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1452383
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos