Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
PiedmontRegiona
Topic Author
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:15 pm

US Airways B1900 from CLT

Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:12 pm

I was wondering, does anybody know what routes US Airways Express (Air Midwest) flew from Charlotte? I know they did Greenville-Spartanburg and Athens, GA but I think there are more.

Thanks in advance
 
crj900lr
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:44 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:26 am

The little hub that ZV had down in CLT was short lived. I believe they did that LWB, BFL and whatever that third city in that trip was once a day also.
 
User avatar
pwm2txlhopper
Posts: 1457
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:40 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:43 am

My memory is a bit unclear, but I think I flew CLT-JAN sometime in the late 1990s or very early 2000’s in the -1900.

However, I might be confusing it with IAH-JAN, on a Continental B-1900 during the same time period.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:52 am

BKW, PGV is another possibility. I know Air Midwest had a TPA-MIA run at some point, because I hopped on that to get to Miami once. Not sure where that airplane came to Tampa from.
 
N292UX
Posts: 584
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:30 am

crj900lr wrote:
The little hub that ZV had down in CLT was short lived. I believe they did that LWB, BFL and whatever that third city in that trip was once a day also.

They flew the B1900 on Charlotte-Lewisburg, WV-Bakersfield, CA? I assume you mean Bluefield, WV whose code if BLF. I'm not sure of the third city but it possibly could've been Parkersburg, WV (PKB) or Clarksburg, WV (CKB).
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2342
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:38 am

A whole bunch of Southern stations closed in two waves, immediately after 9/11 with the demise of CC Air (also owned by Mesa) in 2002 (routes were flown with J32), and then after Air Midwest was shut down in 2008.

RWI (Rocky Mount), SOP (Southern Pines/Pinehurst), ISO (Kinston), HKY (Hickory) are all North Carolina cities that lost US (and all scheduled air service) after 9/11 due to the collapse of CC Air. While I understand discontinuing HKY (less than an hour drive from CLT) made sense, I am still surprised at SOP and figured it would have hung around a little longer due to the wealth and tourism in the area.

I think towards the end the only solely served B1900 cities served ex CLT were AHN, LWB, BLF, and BKW. All left the US network after Air Midwest was shut down. US also had an Air Midwest EAS network ex MCI and PIT that was shut down in 2008 as well. I believe they also operated several Florida-Bahamas flights.

It was a CLT-GSP flight that an Air Midwest B1900 had a fatal crash into the US hanger at CLT.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
Ionosphere
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:46 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:28 am

The Air Midwest B1900 that crashed flew CLT-GSP/LYH/LWB/AHN/HTS in its last two days.
 
User avatar
seat55a
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:39 am

RWI (Rocky Mount)
Hey don't forget Wilson! there's a reason the code is RWI.
--signed, someone who lived around there way too long.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2342
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:04 am

CSG was also served up until 9/11 as well IIRC. DAN also had service, but I don't think it made it to the transition from USAir to US Airways. Same for MCN. I swear US also did CLT-BQK but can't find the start/end dates.

Fascinating to see how small the Georgian network has gotten. I'm surprised about the lack of service to BQK. It's a relatively popular tourist destination and I would have thought that US/AA could have made it work, but then again, DL is king in Georgia, just as AA reigns in the Carolinas.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
USPIT10L
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:59 am

DAN was cut in late 1995 and BQK was served in 1990 only IINM. INT (Winston-Salem, NC) was also a CCAir city that was cut in early 2000. Also, AND (Anderson, SC) was a CCAir city in 1992 for USAir Express. MCN was also served during the BQK period and cut during the same timeframe....I assume we both have extensive USAir timetable collections to cross-reference from.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!
 
73G
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:25 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:36 am

In August 2003, Air Midwest operated the following routes as part of the CLT system:

CLT-AHN
CLT-GSP
CLT-HTS
CLT-LWB
CLT-LYH
AVL-GSP
RDU-AVL
RDU-CHS
RDU-GSP
RDU-ORF
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:09 am

N292UX wrote:
crj900lr wrote:
The little hub that ZV had down in CLT was short lived. I believe they did that LWB, BFL and whatever that third city in that trip was once a day also.

They flew the B1900 on Charlotte-Lewisburg, WV-Bakersfield, CA? I assume you mean Bluefield, WV whose code if BLF. I'm not sure of the third city but it possibly could've been Parkersburg, WV (PKB) or Clarksburg, WV (CKB).


I think Beckley was a tag flight, though Air Midwest also served PKB & CKB w/1900's...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:38 pm

A little OT here but I remember flying US back in 2000 MCI-Manhattan,KS then a tag to Dodge City, KS (where I was going). We flew some kind of prop plane (B-1900 I'm assuming) through a terrible thunderstorm. The women in front of me looked like she was ready to scream.

I also remember in 2001 flying a USExpress prop plane from MIA to TPA. Not sure what US's inter Florida routes were-if they had more than MIA/TPA.
 
nkops
Posts: 2237
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:09 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:47 pm

N292UX wrote:
crj900lr wrote:
The little hub that ZV had down in CLT was short lived. I believe they did that LWB, BFL and whatever that third city in that trip was once a day also.

They flew the B1900 on Charlotte-Lewisburg, WV-Bakersfield, CA? I assume you mean Bluefield, WV whose code if BLF. I'm not sure of the third city but it possibly could've been Parkersburg, WV (PKB) or Clarksburg, WV (CKB).


PKB and CKB were both flown from PIT .. I think LWB had both PIT and CLT service ( I also remember LWB having 737-200 service from LGA during the summer)
Turn left heading 080 contact departure
 
N292UX
Posts: 584
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:51 pm

nkops wrote:
N292UX wrote:
crj900lr wrote:
The little hub that ZV had down in CLT was short lived. I believe they did that LWB, BFL and whatever that third city in that trip was once a day also.

They flew the B1900 on Charlotte-Lewisburg, WV-Bakersfield, CA? I assume you mean Bluefield, WV whose code if BLF. I'm not sure of the third city but it possibly could've been Parkersburg, WV (PKB) or Clarksburg, WV (CKB).


PKB and CKB were both flown from PIT .. I think LWB had both PIT and CLT service ( I also remember LWB having 737-200 service from LGA during the summer)

LWB has had a lot of decent service in the past when you look at it. Pretty sure DL also flew to LWB from ATL/CVG for a bit too. LWB recently got jet service back with UA who flies to IAD and ORD now with CRJ-200s.

Also, did ZV ever fly to MGW from CLT? Or was that only PIT. I assume if they did serve it from CLT, it was a tag flight.
 
PiedmontRegiona
Topic Author
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:15 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:11 pm

Thank you all so much!
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:27 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
A little OT here but I remember flying US back in 2000 MCI-Manhattan,KS then a tag to Dodge City, KS (where I was going). We flew some kind of prop plane (B-1900 I'm assuming) through a terrible thunderstorm. The women in front of me looked like she was ready to scream.

I also remember in 2001 flying a USExpress prop plane from MIA to TPA. Not sure what US's inter Florida routes were-if they had more than MIA/TPA.


I'd almost guarantee it was on a B1900D. US served a good number of cities ex-MCI with it.

...And under the UAX banner, they also flew the 1900D to a lot of places in KS ex-DEN...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
User avatar
ChaseCLT
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:35 pm

I remember it flew to Hickory, NC which I thought was incredibly short.

According to Google Maps, it takes 54 minutes to drive from Charlotte Douglas airport to downtown Hickory.

It takes longer to get to Dulles from downtown DC (even when the silver line opens soon) then it does to drive to from CLT to Hickory.
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:36 pm

NWAESC wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:
A little OT here but I remember flying US back in 2000 MCI-Manhattan,KS then a tag to Dodge City, KS (where I was going). We flew some kind of prop plane (B-1900 I'm assuming) through a terrible thunderstorm. The women in front of me looked like she was ready to scream.

I also remember in 2001 flying a USExpress prop plane from MIA to TPA. Not sure what US's inter Florida routes were-if they had more than MIA/TPA.


I'd almost guarantee it was on a B1900D. US served a good number of cities ex-MCI with it.

...And under the UAX banner, they also flew the 1900D to a lot of places in KS ex-DEN...


Flying back from Dodge City, KS I flew a UA Express flight to DEN with a couple of stops. Don't know the a/c type (a prop) but there was no lav onboard and the Co Pilot served as FA. This was Pre 9/11. On one of the stops I asked the Co Pilot/FA about a lav and he indicated nothing onboard and about an hour to DEN. I really couldn't wait and if I went into the terminal I would need to go back through Security (such as it was Pre 9/11) and the Pilot didn't want to wait. It was "suggested" that I could "go" on the side of a parked fuel truck on the tarmac, which is exactly what I did.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:53 pm

Ha! I wonder how that would go over today?

No lav and the co-pilot doing the pre-flight cabin duties were definitely hallmarks of the 1900.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:18 pm

I also remember one night scheduled to fly USAir Express FLL/EYW around 1999. Flight gets cancelled and I go up to an agent. She starts tapping away on her computer trying to see if there's an alternate carrier. She said to me "I have no idea of who or what this is but there's a carrier called Free Air which looks like a one prop plane operation, I can put you on that." Sure I say. The plane was pink with a mural of Gandhi on the nose of the plane.

IIRC the plane has six seats, all were full. No FA and maybe one pilot. But flying that low got a great view of the Keys as every seat was a window seat.
 
USPIT10L
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:36 pm

N292UX wrote:
nkops wrote:
N292UX wrote:
They flew the B1900 on Charlotte-Lewisburg, WV-Bakersfield, CA? I assume you mean Bluefield, WV whose code if BLF. I'm not sure of the third city but it possibly could've been Parkersburg, WV (PKB) or Clarksburg, WV (CKB).


PKB and CKB were both flown from PIT .. I think LWB had both PIT and CLT service ( I also remember LWB having 737-200 service from LGA during the summer)

LWB has had a lot of decent service in the past when you look at it. Pretty sure DL also flew to LWB from ATL/CVG for a bit too. LWB recently got jet service back with UA who flies to IAD and ORD now with CRJ-200s.

Also, did ZV ever fly to MGW from CLT? Or was that only PIT. I assume if they did serve it from CLT, it was a tag flight.


MGW was only served by US Express to PIT and DCA (which got cut after 9/11 and never returned). The tag-on to CKB was cut at the same time. Even CKB and PKB never had nonstop CLT service on US or Piedmont.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2342
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:42 pm

Intra-Florida network according to my 1993 timetable:

MCO-MLB/MTH/DAB/EYW/FLL/JAX/MIA/PBI/PNS/RSW/SRQ/TLH/VRB with some flights to FLL/TLH/PBI/MIA/PNS/RSW being mainline.
TLH-FLL/JAX/MCO/MIA/PNS/TPA with some flights to FLL/MIA/MCO/TPA being mainline.
TPA-APF/EYW/FLL/GNV/JAX/MIA/PBI/PFN/PNS/RSW/TLH/VPS with some flights on PNS/TLH/MIA/FLL being mainline.
VRB-MCO/MLB
DAB-JAX/MCO
FLL-JAX/MCO/RSW/TLH/TPA with some flights to TPA/MCO being mainline.
RSW-FLL/MCO/TPA, with some mainline to MCO.
VPS-MCO/PFN
GNV-MIA/TPA
JAX-DAB/FLL/MCO/MIA/PBI/TLH/TPA, with mainline on some MIA runs
EYW-MCO/TPA/MIA
MLB-VRB/MCO
MIA-EYW/GNV/JAX/MCO/TLH/TPA
APF-MCO/TPA
PNS-MCO/TPA/VPS
PFN-MCO/TPA/VPS

APF/VRB/MTH no longer have commercial service. If I had to guess, APF/VRB/MTH/MLB/VPS/PFN flights were all B1900 but everything else that was express was served by a Dash-8. Old US timetables don't show equipment types.

There were some wild out of state Express routes I saw too, like VPS-MSY, JAX-BHM, SAV-TPA.

US also had a B1900 operation in MSY too running MSY-LIT/PFN/PNS/SHV/VPS. Other Express "hublets" were ALB/RDU/IND/MCI/BUF/BDL. One timetable I have shows ALB having roughly 55 daily departures in 1999.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:10 pm

APF and MTH were 1900s (at least prior to ‘98).
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
User avatar
ua900
Moderator
Posts: 1607
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:14 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:04 pm

NWAESC wrote:
Ha! I wonder how that would go over today?

No lav and the co-pilot doing the pre-flight cabin duties were definitely hallmarks of the 1900.


Went over well with SeaPort on a 208 just a few years back at IPL and with Mokulele thereafter ;-)

They joked that the bench seating immediately behind them was their business class.

Miamiairport wrote:
I also remember one night scheduled to fly USAir Express FLL/EYW around 1999. Flight gets cancelled and I go up to an agent. She starts tapping away on her computer trying to see if there's an alternate carrier. She said to me "I have no idea of who or what this is but there's a carrier called Free Air which looks like a one prop plane operation, I can put you on that." Sure I say. The plane was pink with a mural of Gandhi on the nose of the plane.

IIRC the plane has six seats, all were full. No FA and maybe one pilot. But flying that low got a great view of the Keys as every seat was a window seat.


I wish the US3 would have more partnerships like that, kinda like Boutique Air and United. Hopefully, you're right and there was at least one pilot ;-) But yeah, with smaller planes like the C208, the B1900, or the E120 I've always appreciated the views. Whether it's flying past a huge mountain, over a desert or closer to the ocean, the views are the perfect IFE, no AVOD needed.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TXL
 
nkops
Posts: 2237
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:09 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:43 am

USAirALB wrote:
Intra-Florida network according to my 1993 timetable:

MCO-MLB/MTH/DAB/EYW/FLL/JAX/MIA/PBI/PNS/RSW/SRQ/TLH/VRB with some flights to FLL/TLH/PBI/MIA/PNS/RSW being mainline.
TLH-FLL/JAX/MCO/MIA/PNS/TPA with some flights to FLL/MIA/MCO/TPA being mainline.
TPA-APF/EYW/FLL/GNV/JAX/MIA/PBI/PFN/PNS/RSW/TLH/VPS with some flights on PNS/TLH/MIA/FLL being mainline.
VRB-MCO/MLB
DAB-JAX/MCO
FLL-JAX/MCO/RSW/TLH/TPA with some flights to TPA/MCO being mainline.
RSW-FLL/MCO/TPA, with some mainline to MCO.
VPS-MCO/PFN
GNV-MIA/TPA
JAX-DAB/FLL/MCO/MIA/PBI/TLH/TPA, with mainline on some MIA runs
EYW-MCO/TPA/MIA
MLB-VRB/MCO
MIA-EYW/GNV/JAX/MCO/TLH/TPA
APF-MCO/TPA
PNS-MCO/TPA/VPS
PFN-MCO/TPA/VPS

APF/VRB/MTH no longer have commercial service. If I had to guess, APF/VRB/MTH/MLB/VPS/PFN flights were all B1900 but everything else that was express was served by a Dash-8. Old US timetables don't show equipment types.

There were some wild out of state Express routes I saw too, like VPS-MSY, JAX-BHM, SAV-TPA.

US also had a B1900 operation in MSY too running MSY-LIT/PFN/PNS/SHV/VPS. Other Express "hublets" were ALB/RDU/IND/MCI/BUF/BDL. One timetable I have shows ALB having roughly 55 daily departures in 1999.


I believe ALB was the base for the Commutair BE1900.

I worked for Air Midwest from roughly 1994-2002 and they had a good size operation for USAir(ways) in Florida, PIT and PHL and smaller ops in MCI,MSY and BOS. The JAX-BHM and VPS-MSY were operated by the 1900 to get a/c from the MSY to Florida system
Turn left heading 080 contact departure
 
pshifrin
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2001 10:02 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:01 am

As mentioned above, LWB which I flew a few times for an annual summer work project in WV, from NY. A mostly empty flight with gorgeous views. I was usually the only person on the flight NOT going to the Greenbrier. I would always try and sit upfront and with no cockpit door, it was an avgeek's dream flight!

One year they had a nonstop E145 from LGA, which was amazing and cut my travel time substantially. I remember one trip it was just me, comedian Robert Klein and his handler. The e145 took off like a freaking rocket so lightly loaded. Funny thing is years later I ran into him at a dog park in Sleepy Hollow, NY and mentioned how we were once on a plane together.
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1425
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:48 pm

CC Air/Air Midwest operated the equivalent of a Carolina milk run with its RDU-AVL-GSP-RDU route. State politicians in the western part of NC loved the service connecting Raleigh to Asheville. I flew the AVL-GSP-RDU route a couple of times--the B1900 got just enough altitude between AVL and GSP to clear the highest mountains along the 41.6 nm AVL-GSP route.
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:38 pm

crj900lr wrote:
The little hub that ZV had down in CLT was short lived. I believe they did that LWB, BFL and whatever that third city in that trip was once a day also.


short lived?!?! CC Air then ZV had a huge foothold in CLT and the Mid Atlantic. I think they had close to 30 planes based in CLT.
xx
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:40 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
A little OT here but I remember flying US back in 2000 MCI-Manhattan,KS then a tag to Dodge City, KS (where I was going). We flew some kind of prop plane (B-1900 I'm assuming) through a terrible thunderstorm. The women in front of me looked like she was ready to scream.

I also remember in 2001 flying a USExpress prop plane from MIA to TPA. Not sure what US's inter Florida routes were-if they had more than MIA/TPA.


MIA-TPA, MIA-EYW, MIA-ELH, PBI-TPA, PBI-MHH/TCB, TPA-PNS, TPA-JAX, TPA-PFN, TPA-EYW, MSY-PFN, JAX-CHS... Up to maybe 2006/2007

APF, MTH were also part of the US network until 9/11ish I believe.
xx
 
USPIT10L
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:42 pm

MTH was cut by US in early 1998, according the excellent SunshineSkies website. APF lasted until June of 2003.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!
 
phllax
Posts: 614
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:19 pm

pshifrin wrote:
As mentioned above, LWB which I flew a few times for an annual summer work project in WV, from NY. A mostly empty flight with gorgeous views. I was usually the only person on the flight NOT going to the Greenbrier. I would always try and sit upfront and with no cockpit door, it was an avgeek's dream flight!

One year they had a nonstop E145 from LGA, which was amazing and cut my travel time substantially. I remember one trip it was just me, comedian Robert Klein and his handler. The e145 took off like a freaking rocket so lightly loaded. Funny thing is years later I ran into him at a dog park in Sleepy Hollow, NY and mentioned how we were once on a plane together.


They ran mainline 737-200's on the route as well.
 
User avatar
CV990A
Posts: 1477
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 1999 6:04 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:16 pm

When did ZV take over? I've got an August '99 North American OAG, and all I see are CC Air J31s to AHN / AGS / CSG / GSO / PGV / GSP / HKY / HTS / ISO / LWB / LEX / LYH / SOP / RWI

There isn't a single BE1 flight out of CLT that I can find.
Kittens Give Morbo Gas
 
crj900lr
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:44 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:44 am

NWAESC wrote:
N292UX wrote:
crj900lr wrote:
The little hub that ZV had down in CLT was short lived. I believe they did that LWB, BFL and whatever that third city in that trip was once a day also.

They flew the B1900 on Charlotte-Lewisburg, WV-Bakersfield, CA? I assume you mean Bluefield, WV whose code if BLF. I'm not sure of the third city but it possibly could've been Parkersburg, WV (PKB) or Clarksburg, WV (CKB).


I think Beckley was a tag flight, though Air Midwest also served PKB & CKB w/1900's...


Beckley, that's what I was looking for.
 
User avatar
dennypayne
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:38 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:41 am

In Feb 2003 I flew Beech 1900s from CLT-EWN (New Bern, NC) and return. I recorded these flights as US Airways Express but I suppose it was likely Air Midwest as well. I did record my CLT-AHN flight around the same time as ZV though.
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 ARJ AT6/7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 741/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR1/2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L4T M11/80/87/90 SF3 SU9 TU3/TU5 YK2
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:19 am

USPIT10L wrote:
MTH was cut by US in early 1998, according the excellent SunshineSkies website. APF lasted until June of 2003.


That's about the time the new terminal was built, no?

And I think that was Florida Gulf at the time- Mesa had a handful of 1900 operators and mushed them all into Air Midwest I think (Liberty Express is another USX operator that YV owned..)
xx
 
nkops
Posts: 2237
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:09 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:42 am

usxguy wrote:
USPIT10L wrote:
MTH was cut by US in early 1998, according the excellent SunshineSkies website. APF lasted until June of 2003.


That's about the time the new terminal was built, no?

And I think that was Florida Gulf at the time- Mesa had a handful of 1900 operators and mushed them all into Air Midwest I think (Liberty Express is another USX operator that YV owned..)


Correct.. when I started with Mesa in GNV, we were FloridaGulf flying E-120's to CLT and MIA and BE1 to TPA and MCO.. I believe about 1995 it became AirMidwest
Turn left heading 080 contact departure
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:59 am

usxguy wrote:

And I think that was Florida Gulf at the time- Mesa had a handful of 1900 operators and mushed them all into Air Midwest I think (Liberty Express is another USX operator that YV owned..)


Mesa had a bunch of carriers operating under the same umbrella.

Air Midwest
Florida Gulf
Liberty
WestAir
Mesa
Desert Sun

I might be forgetting 1 or 2?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10877
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:09 pm

NWAESC wrote:
usxguy wrote:

And I think that was Florida Gulf at the time- Mesa had a handful of 1900 operators and mushed them all into Air Midwest I think (Liberty Express is another USX operator that YV owned..)


Mesa had a bunch of carriers operating under the same umbrella.

Air Midwest
Florida Gulf
Liberty
WestAir
Mesa
Desert Sun

I might be forgetting 1 or 2?

-Skyway (flew on behalf of Midwest Express)/Superior (formed from Mesa’s Skyway assets after Midwest Express ended relationship with Mesa and took over Skyway)
 
phllax
Posts: 614
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:49 pm

Polot wrote:
NWAESC wrote:
usxguy wrote:

And I think that was Florida Gulf at the time- Mesa had a handful of 1900 operators and mushed them all into Air Midwest I think (Liberty Express is another USX operator that YV owned..)


Mesa had a bunch of carriers operating under the same umbrella.

Air Midwest
Florida Gulf
Liberty
WestAir
Mesa
Desert Sun

I might be forgetting 1 or 2?

-Skyway (flew on behalf of Midwest Express)/Superior (formed from Mesa’s Skyway assets after Midwest Express ended relationship with Mesa and took over Skyway)


Desert Sun was the AWE F70 operator for about a year before Mesa got CR2's. They didn't fly props. The rest flew B1900's with a few J31's as well. Mesa it self also flew Dash 8's.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:59 pm

I know. I worked there. They flew PHX- DSM and PHX- FAT (or maybe BFL?).
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
Viajero
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:41 am

A bit off topic, but on the subject of Air Midwest..Where did they fly out of DFW?
 
crj900lr
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:44 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:50 am

Viajero wrote:
A bit off topic, but on the subject of Air Midwest..Where did they fly out of DFW?



Hot Springs
Jonesboro
And before the flight got to Jonesboro it stopped somewhere else but I cant remember the city.
 
User avatar
AVLAirlineFreq
Posts: 1425
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:03 am

crj900lr wrote:
Viajero wrote:
A bit off topic, but on the subject of Air Midwest..Where did they fly out of DFW?



Hot Springs
Jonesboro
And before the flight got to Jonesboro it stopped somewhere else but I cant remember the city.


I think it was El Dorado.
 
Ionosphere
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:46 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:17 am

phllax wrote:
Polot wrote:
NWAESC wrote:

Mesa had a bunch of carriers operating under the same umbrella.

Air Midwest
Florida Gulf
Liberty
WestAir
Mesa
Desert Sun

I might be forgetting 1 or 2?

-Skyway (flew on behalf of Midwest Express)/Superior (formed from Mesa’s Skyway assets after Midwest Express ended relationship with Mesa and took over Skyway)


Desert Sun was the AWE F70 operator for about a year before Mesa got CR2's. They didn't fly props. The rest flew B1900's with a few J31's as well. Mesa it self also flew Dash 8's.


PHX-DSM/GEG were the first two routes in 1995. Desert Sun was merged back into Mesa in 1996.
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:20 pm

ZV flew to Hot Springs, El Dorado, Harrison, and Joplin from DFW
xx
 
phatfarmlines
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:06 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:02 pm

usxguy wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:
A little OT here but I remember flying US back in 2000 MCI-Manhattan,KS then a tag to Dodge City, KS (where I was going). We flew some kind of prop plane (B-1900 I'm assuming) through a terrible thunderstorm. The women in front of me looked like she was ready to scream.

I also remember in 2001 flying a USExpress prop plane from MIA to TPA. Not sure what US's inter Florida routes were-if they had more than MIA/TPA.


MIA-TPA, MIA-EYW, MIA-ELH, PBI-TPA, PBI-MHH/TCB, TPA-PNS, TPA-JAX, TPA-PFN, TPA-EYW, MSY-PFN, JAX-CHS... Up to maybe 2006/2007

APF, MTH were also part of the US network until 9/11ish I believe.


I think the intra-Florida turboprop flying, then reduced to just Beech 1900s, wound down just after the 2004 bankruptcy filing by US.

But what an extensive intra-Florida network US had throughout the 90's. You couldn't go to TPA without hearing the distinctive whine of the Dash-8s.
 
crj900lr
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:44 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:08 am

CV990A wrote:
When did ZV take over? I've got an August '99 North American OAG, and all I see are CC Air J31s to AHN / AGS / CSG / GSO / PGV / GSP / HKY / HTS / ISO / LWB / LEX / LYH / SOP / RWI

There isn't a single BE1 flight out of CLT that I can find.


CC Air also had some DASH-8 flights out of CLT, I believe one of the places they flew them was to CVG.
 
USAirALB
Posts: 2342
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:46 am

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:24 am

USPIT10L wrote:
MTH was cut by US in early 1998, according the excellent SunshineSkies website. APF lasted until June of 2003.

Thanks for the website, their Marathon article is interesting.

MTH always kind of interested me. I stayed there at this beachhouse resort back in 2007 with my extended family. The area was significantly more built up than other parts of the Keys (besides Key West, of course) and there seemed to be a good number of permanent residents in the area. I know the area also attracts those from the surrounding region as well because of its infrastructure. I remember going with my dad to watch the DL CRJ take off from Atlanta one day whilst there and the terminal seemed quite charming.

Performance of the RJ must have been so bad if DL left even though they were offered money to stay.

Considering that they recently refurbished the terminal there (according to the SunshineSkies site) and the fact that they did offer DL grant money, I would say there likely is an appetite for service there.

I know Key West is 50 miles south and Miami is 110 miles North, but the Overseas Highway can get backed up really quickly. I've driven from Miami multiple times, and sometimes it has taken me almost 4 hours just to reach Marathon, and then almost another 2 to Key West. The drive is fun once but gets old quick, especially in traffic.

The runway should be able to handle E-Jets, and I always wonder whether AA would ever be interested in trying MIA-MTH.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: US Airways B1900 from CLT

Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:40 pm

Ionosphere wrote:
phllax wrote:
Polot wrote:
-Skyway (flew on behalf of Midwest Express)/Superior (formed from Mesa’s Skyway assets after Midwest Express ended relationship with Mesa and took over Skyway)


Desert Sun was the AWE F70 operator for about a year before Mesa got CR2's. They didn't fly props. The rest flew B1900's with a few J31's as well. Mesa it self also flew Dash 8's.


PHX-DSM/GEG were the first two routes in 1995. Desert Sun was merged back into Mesa in 1996.


Time sweetens all memories, but I sure had fun working there during that era.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: a350lover, AF022, Baidu [Spider], Brianpr3, ClassicLover, EagleStar, eicvd, factsonly, FLJ, Geoff1947, Google Adsense [Bot], KWI, LH982, lightsaber, oakleaf1, qf789, simairlinenet, skyymarc, TWA767, VS11, xwb777 and 198 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos