Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VC10er
Topic Author

UNITED: investments stopped and continuing

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:28 am

I was on my way through EWR to LA, I departed from the concourse to the far left of the Polaris lounge. There are enormous plastic (floor to ceiling) construction barriers made of a very think plastic curtain, exactly where the elevator/escalators would be to the new rooftop United Club. And there was quite a bit of construction noise.
I would have assumed UA put a hold on the construction of that (rumored) big glass lounge, but has UA decided to keep going so it’s built and ready in a couple of years?

Prior to the pandemic UA was clearly spending more and more, investing throughout the net work. I would have assumed that most if not all of the NEW UNITED look and renovations would be put on hold. Or perhaps some already had been financed and accrued for. (Ex: the public bathrooms at EWR seem to still be getting their major renovations.

I’m curious what has been put on hold for another day, and which projects are continuing?

Thanks!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

enilria

Re: UNITED: investments stopped and continuing

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:09 pm

I don’t know about United but I think Delta has basically said they are only going forward with projects that can be done more cheaply during this time of reduced air travel. That includes things like the Salt Lake City terminal upgrade.

I think even that policy may be revisited.

MIflyer12

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:15 pm

VC10er wrote:
I’m curious what has been put on hold for another day, and which projects are continuing?

U.S. carriers don't typically give much detail of annual capital spending. They'll give a range ('$4-$4.5 Billion next year') and some major elements: '$3 Billion in aircraft, $400 Million IT projects...'

You might observe some things that are stopped - as you did - and you might find some local news stories, but you won't get a comprehensive picture. AFAIK, no U.S. carrier has detailed aircraft delivery deferments with new dates by type, for example, and aircraft are commonly the biggest elements of capital spending.

DLASFlyer

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:16 pm

enilria wrote:
I don’t know about United but I think Delta has basically said they are only going forward with projects that can be done more cheaply during this time of reduced air travel. That includes things like the Salt Lake City terminal upgrade.

I think even that policy may be revisited.

Also the Skyway at LAX is forging ahead.

Nicknuzzii

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:22 pm

I think they said they were suspending construction but that has probably since changed following DL’s speeding up of LGA.

DoctorVenkman

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:50 pm

The US3 are burning somewhere on the order of $20M-$30M in cash per day. This construction project is probably somewhere in the range of $50M-$100M over the course of a couple years. It's insignificant compared to their other expenses like fuel and payroll.

codc10

Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:59 pm

Right now there is no construction activity in the space and I imagine that will be the case for the rest of 2020. I assume capital projects currently underway will be very conservatively managed in 2021 and suspended as necessary. Projects managed by airport authorities from which UA will benefit (EWR T1, DEN A/B concourse extensions) are continuing.

vhtje

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:13 pm

Even if UA wanted to, presumably for some projects contracts are in place with construction companies that would be difficult and/or expensive to break and/or defer - meaning the work has to go ahead regardless of the change in circumstances, because stopping it would prove even more costly.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:40 pm

In most cases, once a construction project gets past the planning and into the implementation phase... It's usually cheaper to just continue and finish it than suspend it and restart later or to just end it. Often projects may be slowed down a bit to eliminate any overtime or other things where extra charges are paid to keep a specific schedule; but, that's usually about all that can be done to reduce project cost.

Have a great day,

capitalflyer

Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:31 pm

I assume construction of the new C/D concourse at IAD is on schedule... :duck:

airportugal310

Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:41 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
The US3 are burning somewhere on the order of $20M-$30M in cash per day. This construction project is probably somewhere in the range of $50M-$100M over the course of a couple years. It's insignificant compared to their other expenses like fuel and payroll.

Not only that, but these kinds of projects are usually paid back over the course of 20-30 years or more, depending on financing/lease arrangements etc etc etc...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

ikramerica

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:38 pm

Stopping construction can be expensive if your permits expire. Your project needs new approvals, codes may have changed requiring rework, materials meant to be covered are exposed for too long leading to degradation, etc.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

hondah35

Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:55 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
I assume construction of the new C/D concourse at IAD is on schedule... :duck:

Yes I believe the targeted completion of March 2047 was reaffirmed

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:09 pm

I think united will be very tight on cash. However EWR needs a non Polaris Lounge, the current situation is dire for UA at EWR. That project is just needed and there happens to be space there and they've gotten approval and permits. They might make it less flashy but they need to make a lounge badly for EWR. That is not a flashy investment that means anything, united desperately needs a Lounge or no one will pay for it whos EWR based. That lounge is desperately needed and cheaper to finish then start over, although I bet they cut corners and save wherever possible.

VC10er
Topic Author

Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:27 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I think united will be very tight on cash. However EWR needs a non Polaris Lounge, the current situation is dire for UA at EWR. That project is just needed and there happens to be space there and they've gotten approval and permits. They might make it less flashy but they need to make a lounge badly for EWR. That is not a flashy investment that means anything, united desperately needs a Lounge or no one will pay for it whos EWR based. That lounge is desperately needed and cheaper to finish then start over, although I bet they cut corners and save wherever possible.

I would envision a UC upstairs on the roof to look a lot like the big LAX club. It’s not that flashy, but very nice and perhaps the outdoor deck. I know spending money now while burning $30/$50 million a day seems crazy, but as someone said above “there could be unbreakable contracts, or “we got this far, might as well just finish it time for when passengers come back in larger numbers”

Then they will have the contrast between the new UC and the old Presidents club which still looks so old and dingy even with new furniture and some paint.(and the bathrooms haven’t changed since it opened. YET, while it gets no sunlight, the architects and designers could do something cool with the circular spaces.

I feel so bad for UA! They were really rocking with ALL the upgrades and aircraft renovations and new livery until the unexpected hit.

I’m sure it says what the current status is in the HUGE UNITED fleet thread, but have ALL the aircraft interiors been stopped? Eg: 789’s?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos