Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bennett123

Re: Irish 9/20: Livid about Covid

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:06 am

Fliplot

Turned the other way, yes you could buy your ticket at the airport.

Two scenarios;

1. You get to the airport and there are no seats until next week.

2. You make the trip, return to the airport and find no seats available until next week.

AmricanShamrok

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:07 am

OA260 wrote:
Some Aer Lingus staff to get pay and hour increases

Aer Lingus has said that staff representatives have been advised that those working in ground operations at Dublin and Cork airports are to have their hours and pay increased from 30% to 50%.

Ground operations staff at Shannon Airport, who are currently laid off, are to return to rostered duties with hours and pay increased to 40%.

In an update, the company said an incentivised winter leave programme would also be made available for ground staff at Shannon.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/09 ... k-shannon/

No clarity on the resumption of any ops from SNN. SNN-based crew are being brought back onto the roster but I wonder if they will be redeployed elsewhere or whether EI is actually planning to resume limited flights here over the winter?

AmricanShamrok

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:13 am

DUB runway 10/28 will be re-designated 10R/28L on 8th October as it prepares to commission the new northern runway next year.

https://flyinginireland.com/2020/09/dub ... uJRp349dDw

Fliplot

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:18 am

Would I travel to the airport on the off chance I might get a seat - no!
I rarely buy one way tickets
Anyway am stopping now as the discussion is circular and likely never ending.
Each to his or her own opinion.

ClassicLover

Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:35 pm

I see the DAA lounge in Terminal 1 is scheduled to open from 1 October. None of the other lounges will be open, which is fine as one lounge will likely do.

If it actually opens (the new restrictions could mean a delay), does anyone know if EI will also send their passengers to that lounge as their own one is closed?
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:09 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
I see the DAA lounge in Terminal 1 is scheduled to open from 1 October. None of the other lounges will be open, which is fine as one lounge will likely do.

If it actually opens (the new restrictions could mean a delay), does anyone know if EI will also send their passengers to that lounge as their own one is closed?

Would be very surprised if Aer Lingus pay the DAA to use their lounge if it indeed opens as touted.

ClassicLover

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:20 pm

OA260 wrote:
Would be very surprised if Aer Lingus pay the DAA to use their lounge if it indeed opens as touted.

I completely agree with you on that one!

Meanwhile, has anyone seen the Ryanair job ad on LinkedIn that was posted today?

Looks like Ryanair are expressing their dissatisfaction wherever they can. I think they're justified doing that as well, quite frankly. I'm very interested to see what changes will be made next week to the green list and then how this whole EU traffic light system works.

Fliplot

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:14 pm

And goodness a chance to blame someone other than the Irish Government! How novel

Vicenza

Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:29 pm

Trip wrote:
Fliplot wrote:
The increase in cases, I believe, is not related to travel but individuals not observing the requirements

It's probably both. When people who don't observe the requirements travel things only get worse.

The increase in cases in Ireland is of no surprise. The government drones on about reducing social contacts and washing hands. Meanwhile there's no emphasis on the wearing of face coverings when in close quarters with others. Visit almost any Costa or Starbucks and watch people behind the counter working closely together without using masks, or wearing face shields turned up as if they were visors thus providing no protection whatsoever for the wearer or those close to the wearer. Each worker then goes home and perhaps infects their three flatmates who also don't bother with face coverings when they're in shops or on public transport. And health authorities ignore all of this but emphasize hand washing.

However, this is also a reflection of modern society......people (in all walks of life) seemingly these days have to 'be told' what to do Surely, sensibility would indicate why does any government need 'to tell' anyone to wear a mask? Why blame government for people seemingly unable to think, or take responsibility for something which affects their health or safety?

Vicenza

Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:31 pm

JannEejit wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Restrictions on the way which will impact travel and tourism even more .

Dublin to be cut off from rest of country for next three weeks as 'concerning trends' emerge in three other counties

Dublin is facing three weeks of new Covid-19 restrictions which will cut off the capital from the rest of the country.

The National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) is expected to recommend enforcing Level 3 restrictions across the entire county of Dublin, which will cause further economic damage to the country’s economy.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/d ... 38525.html

Do alternatives exist for the three weeks, Shannon, Belfast, Cork etc or does no DUB effectively mean no Ireland to airlines, both domestic and international ?

Both Belfast airports are open for flights, so of course an alternative exists.

Trip

Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:58 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Why blame government for people seemingly unable to think, or take responsibility for something which affects their health or safety?

Because if face coverings were stressed more in government messaging people might use them more frequently as is happening in other countries. Instead, the Irish authorities flap their lips constantly about hand washing which is of limited benefit if people are still breathing droplets all over each other rather than covering their faces when they're near others. And now due to the closure of indoor dining and museums etc Dublin is likely to see even less tourism from green countries which won't be good for airlines.

Fliplot

Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:44 am

Flipping heck
Government decrees we should wear masks and they are autocratic and dictators
Government uses the soft approach and they are mealy mouthed and flapping their lips
Was not aware part of the Governments remit was to act as our brain.
The longer we don't comply the longer, costlier and the more dangerous the virus becomes. Is it really that difficult to understand? What is the supposed confusion and misinformation based on?

OA260

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:52 am

Ryanair drops plans to resume flights from Belfast International to Barcelona

RYANAIR appears to have dropped plans to resume flights from Belfast International Airport to Barcelona as the budget airline confirmed it will cut further flights from its October schedule.

www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews ... ntent.html

—-

Belfast City Airport’s new route to Dundee gets lift-off with Loganair

Flights to Dundee Airport will take off from George Best Belfast City Airport today (Friday 18th September) with Loganair.

The service will initially consist of twice-weekly flights departing at 13.15 from Dundee Airport Fridays and Sundays, with a 15.00 return each day.

This will increase to four flights per week within the airline’s summer 2021 schedule commencing on 29th March.

www.newsletter.co.uk/business/belfast-c ... 976192?amp

AmricanShamrok

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:27 pm

Interesting article on the EI reservations system “ASTRAL”, which turns a whopping 52 years old this year.

https://travelupdate.com/aer-lingus-res ... -computer/

I find it remarkable that for such an ancient and bespoke system, they were able to integrate it with the mobile app and website (which are far from perfect from a usability standpoint, but still).

Pintman

Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Had an excellent trip from Connemara Airport over to Inis Mór during the week with Aer Arann Islands. Great experience for the aviation lover on the BN-2 Islander, the STOL performance capabilities really are something to behold!

LF of 100% on both flights, something you don’t hear too often these days. Unfortunately due to social distancing the co-pilot seat is not in use for pax. Had some good chats with the staff who, along with some locals on the island, said that despite the obvious lack of international tourists, domestic tourists were keeping the airline and island businesses busy. Always good to hear some positivity during these times.

Vicenza

Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:55 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Flipping heck
Government decrees we should wear masks and they are autocratic and dictators
Government uses the soft approach and they are mealy mouthed and flapping their lips
Was not aware part of the Governments remit was to act as our brain.
The longer we don't comply the longer, costlier and the more dangerous the virus becomes. Is it really that difficult to understand? What is the supposed confusion and misinformation based on?

Well said Fliplot, and agree 100$

Vicenza

Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:12 pm

Trip wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
Why blame government for people seemingly unable to think, or take responsibility for something which affects their health or safety?

Because if face coverings were stressed more in government messaging people might use them more frequently as is happening in other countries. Instead, the Irish authorities flap their lips constantly about hand washing which is of limited benefit if people are still breathing droplets all over each other rather than covering their faces when they're near others. And now due to the closure of indoor dining and museums etc Dublin is likely to see even less tourism from green countries which won't be good for airlines.

And you are proving exactly the point I made. Today's society, including that of ROI (and which is far from being a third world country!!) is based on instant news and information from all sources......yet you are telling me people don't know, or what is happening in other countries? Yesy, funny enough, those seem people don't seem to have the slightest problem in accessing whatever they want....when it suits them. From your reply I simply don't know what it's going to take for people just to do what they were told. But then, as you say, it's the governments 'fault' they weren't told, right?

OA260

Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:48 pm

Ryanair re-iterates Cork, Shannon bases closure warning
Aviation industry needs decisiveness from Government immediately, says airline chief

Ryanair has re-iterated its warning that it will close its operations at both Cork and Shannon Airports for the winter unless the Government adopts the EU traffic light system for international travel.

This system would allow passengers fly from Ireland to a greater range of countries during the Covid-19 pandemic.

In a memo sent to all Ryanair staff at Cork and Shannon airports, Diarmuid Rogers, head of Ryanair flight operations base management, warned that “if there is no change, we regrettably expect the base closures at Cork and Shannon to proceed” even though a final decision has not yet been made.

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-n ... 0?mode=amp

Trip

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:22 pm

Vicenza wrote:
But then, as you say, it's the governments 'fault' they weren't told, right?

What I'm saying is that since Irish health authorities are always giving advice about hand washing and how many social contacts people should have, they should also give advice to use face coverings when social distance can't be maintained. It works in many other countries. Whether people take the advice is a different subject, but things in Ireland are heading in the wrong direction.

I guess in your view we should just throw up our hands while airlines close Irish bases and scrap flights as a result of the pandemic.

Fliplot

Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:46 am

No
But we should do what we have been asked to do! Is it truly that difficult???

BrianDromey

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:38 pm

I dont think the government have been unclear about face coverings? They have said to wear them where social distancing is not possible and that social distancing should be adhered to at all times. Is it really the job of the Government to send Gardaí to every hamlet in the country to 'force' the population to put a mask on? Should they all be thrown in jail? Fined? There are enormous yellow signs everywhere with illustrations of masks. What more can, practically, be done?

OA260

Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:05 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
I dont think the government have been unclear about face coverings? They have said to wear them where social distancing is not possible and that social distancing should be adhered to at all times. Is it really the job of the Government to send Gardaí to every hamlet in the country to 'force' the population to put a mask on? Should they all be thrown in jail? Fined? There are enormous yellow signs everywhere with illustrations of masks. What more can, practically, be done?

Refuse people into shops and other places if they don't have a face covering on would be a start. The shop owners have a responsibility too. Then the minority who are not adhering to rules would get the message. There is a certain demographic too that you notice out and about who seem to flout the rules! Same at airport terminals and other forms of travel. No face covering no entry / no service . Simple

YUAND

Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:43 pm

I think the problem in this country is that the rules lack clarity, coherence and are chopped and changed on a regular basis seemingly to make the government look like they are doing something. From the very start there should have been a rule regarding masks, quarantine on arrival from other countries which was actually enforced all supported by scientific evidence. It is clearly evident from the way that the hospitality sector in particular has been treated that they have no idea what they're at and cannot decide on a strategy. This faffing around obviously discourages trust in the restrictions which then discourages compliance. In particular, in relation to the green list and travel this is very evident which is highly damaging for the aviation sector.

Fliplot

Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:06 pm

I think the problem is the people and nit the Government. Your comments and other like them, are fuelling the confusion.
Sorry but it's time to man up and accept responsibility for our own actions!

JAmie2k9

Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:45 pm

The problem is unlike certain countries its much harder to legislate for these restrictions because of the constitution and you open the State to legal challenges or call a referendum to pass harsher laws.

Then you factor in the economy and politically a return to April style lockdown is unlikely to even happen without a high death rate.

OA260

Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:30 am

Appointment of IAA Aviation Regulator

The Minister for Transport, Eamon Ryan T.D. has today welcomed the appointment of Mr. Diarmuid Ó Conghaile as the new Aviation Regulator with the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA). Mr Ó Conghaile will take up his appointment from 1 January 2021.

www.gov.ie/en/press-release/4dabe-appoi ... regulator/

Irish and Australian companies join to improve airline customer service
One Sky Claims Solutions and Flight Disruptions advise on handling disruption to passengers and compensation

Irish-based One Sky Claims Solutions (OSS), which advises airlines on handling passenger compensation, is joining forces with an Australian player in the same market.

Established in December by former Ryanair and Etihad general counsel Jim Callaghan, OSS aids airlines in managing passenger claims for cancellations and other disruptions.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 0?mode=amp

Eagleboy

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:06 am

Fliplot wrote:
..................You are reasonably unique in receiving money back - based on threads here and general social media
I would disagree with you on this point.
We see posts online and on social media about ppl NOT getting their refunds.
But the ppl that DO get their refunds, they you think they are going to be boasting about it online?
Its confirmation bias in action.

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Interesting article on the EI reservations system “ASTRAL”, which turns a whopping 52 years old this year.
I find it remarkable that for such an ancient and bespoke system, they were able to integrate it with the mobile app and website........

A long time ago I work in a section with a very long term EI employee. He had done the very first computer programming course in Ireland in 1967-68 in the hope of getting a job working on ASTRAL. EI hired outside 'experts' and he was left in his section in EI. He did end up moving up the ranks and eventually became very important in EI daily operations.
Personally I hated using ASTRAL, its was clunky and the command language didnt make a lot of sense to someone who was introduced to computing by using Windows and Netscape in the early 90s.

JannEejit

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:25 am

Vicenza wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Restrictions on the way which will impact travel and tourism even more .

Dublin to be cut off from rest of country for next three weeks as 'concerning trends' emerge in three other counties

Dublin is facing three weeks of new Covid-19 restrictions which will cut off the capital from the rest of the country.

The National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) is expected to recommend enforcing Level 3 restrictions across the entire county of Dublin, which will cause further economic damage to the country’s economy.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/d ... 38525.html

Do alternatives exist for the three weeks, Shannon, Belfast, Cork etc or does no DUB effectively mean no Ireland to airlines, both domestic and international ?

Both Belfast airports are open for flights, so of course an alternative exists.

I was speculating as to whether or not a formal agreement or plan had been drawn up to host inbound traffic elsewhere in the event DUB should be closed as part of a city wide lockdown. Not simply if there was an alternate or 'divert' field, to be fair. But yes Ireland does contain other airports.

OA260

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:37 am

Crippled aviation industry pleads for State aid

The Oireachtas will hold an emergency meeting to discuss a support package for Ireland's aviation industry, which has been devastated by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Transport Committee chair Senator Kieran O'Donnell has been asked to convene the special meeting amid mounting alarm at the impact of the crisis on airports and airlines.

At the peak of the lockdown, passenger numbers at Dublin, Cork, Shannon and Ireland West-Knock airports had collapsed by 95pc.

Ireland West-Knock Airport chair Arthur French said the pandemic had had "a devastating effect" on the facility with a massive cost-cutting programme implemented and a 50pc reduction in its workforce.

www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavir ... 55184.html

--

Irish Government's view on travel one of most extreme in Europe - Walsh

The former boss of Aer Lingus owner IAG has said the Irish Government has adopted one of the most extreme views on travel around Europe which has effectively shut the island down.

Willie Walsh said the approach of governments across Europe in stopping people from travelling has not done anything to stop the spread of Covid-19.

"One of the things that we saw in IAG before I left is there's a lot of demand for flying, it is just that people can't because of government restrictions."

"This is a classic example of where politicians and regulators who aren't as used to us in the industry at managing risk have taken an extremely risk averse view."

www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0922/1166 ... -industry/

EISG1129

Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:19 pm

Pintman wrote:
Had an excellent trip from Connemara Airport over to Inis Mór during the week with Aer Arann Islands. Great experience for the aviation lover on the BN-2 Islander, the STOL performance capabilities really are something to behold!

LF of 100% on both flights, something you don’t hear too often these days. Unfortunately due to social distancing the co-pilot seat is not in use for pax. Had some good chats with the staff who, along with some locals on the island, said that despite the obvious lack of international tourists, domestic tourists were keeping the airline and island businesses busy. Always good to hear some positivity during these times.

Great to see the good load factor on both flights. It's a flight I must make an effort to use again over the next while - it's been over 4 years since I last flew out to Inis Mór. I've also never made any effort to fly out to Inis Meáin or Inis Oirr.

I note that it is no longer possible to purchase the flights via the website though. Clicking on 'Book your Flight' now leads to a page suggesting to email or phone them, or to an online enquiry page: https://aerarannislands.ie/book-your-flight/. It strikes me as a very backwards move for any airline to remove the online booking facility from their website.

I note also from their website that the timetable for their shuttle bus out to Connemara Airport from Eyre Square in Galway is now gone. There is no suggestion that it has been temporarily or permanently suspended. I recall that it was about €3 to use the bus to/from the airport at the time. It's a pity if that has been removed as well.

AmricanShamrok

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:20 pm

EISG1129 wrote:
Pintman wrote:

Great to see the good load factor on both flights. It's a flight I must make an effort to use again over the next while - it's been over 4 years since I last flew out to Inis Mór. I've also never made any effort to fly out to Inis Meáin or Inis Oirr.

I note that it is no longer possible to purchase the flights via the website though. Clicking on 'Book your Flight' now leads to a page suggesting to email or phone them, or to an online enquiry page: https://aerarannislands.ie/book-your-flight/. It strikes me as a very backwards move for any airline to remove the online booking facility from their website.

I note also from their website that the timetable for their shuttle bus out to Connemara Airport from Eyre Square in Galway is now gone. There is no suggestion that it has been temporarily or permanently suspended. I recall that it was about €3 to use the bus to/from the airport at the time. It's a pity if that has been removed as well.

Interesting you mention this as I had the same issues a few weeks back when I was looking to make my inaugural journey to the islands. I filled in the online enquiry form to try and get the flight and shuttle bus schedules and got no reply. Ended up having to e-mail the other address. As you say, they used to be there; bit odd that they removed them.

OA260

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:44 pm

Dublin Airport to become a no-go zone for Germans as Berlin puts capital on COVID risk

The Euro king pins are very wary of people arriving from Ireland as our health officials warn Ireland is on a knife-edge and in grave danger of being hit by a second wave of the killer virus

Germany is to declare Dublin a high-risk COVID hotspot because of the capital’s alarming rise in cases.

If Berlin makes that official any traveller arriving back in Germany from Dublin Airport will have to take a coronavirus test and then stay put until they get their results.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/health/du ... 987172.amp

Dublin Aerospace to expand apprenticeship programme

Aviation maintenance company, Dublin Aerospace, is bucking the negative trends engulfing the sector at the moment, by announcing that it intends to increase the number of apprentices it takes on this year.

The Dublin Airport based firm is to hire an additional 29 apprentices as part of its 2020 programme, a 20% increase on the previous intake.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0923/1166 ... programme/

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:05 am

Airports looking to add testing centres:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.4362789

It will be interesting to see how much this will cost; as I understand it, this may require two tests. The logistics might get a bit complicated.

OA260

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:49 am

NEW Majorca Summer Sun Breaks available from City of Derry Airport

City of Derry Airport is pleased to announce the launch of summer sun services to Majorca with JetsGo Holidays from June – August 2021. This will be a weekly service on Friday’s between City of Derry Airport and Palma de Mallorca Airport

https://news.causewaycoastcommunity.co. ... y-airport/

Cork Airport would be reduced to 2 flights a day 'maximum' if Ryanair close base for winter
'Ryanair have continued to operate 24 services over the summer and they're accounting at the moment for 81 percent of the business we do have'

www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/cork-air ... 2-18986705

BrianDromey

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 am

OA260 wrote:
Cork Airport would be reduced to 2 flights a day 'maximum' if Ryanair close base for winter
'Ryanair have continued to operate 24 services over the summer and they're accounting at the moment for 81 percent of the business we do have'

http://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/c ... 2-18986705

I wonder if the time for greenlists and travel has passed? I think a lot of us are resigned to a winter lockdown, rather than a winter escape. Im listening to Ryan Tubridy on the radio now. He's saying how he's got a lock-down haircut and cant see his family all in one go, due to the restrictions. The Commission cut-off is 50 cases. France, Spain, Portugal and the UK would all be off any commission-based green list. More worryingly the morbidity rates in France and Spain are also creeping up. We are not seeing that here just yet, but they are about 2 weeks ahead of where we are.

OA260

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:53 am

BrianDromey wrote:
OA260 wrote:

http://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/c ... 2-18986705

I wonder if the time for greenlists and travel has passed? I think a lot of us are resigned to a winter lockdown, rather than a winter escape. Im listening to Ryan Tubridy on the radio now. He's saying how he's got a lock-down haircut and cant see his family all in one go, due to the restrictions. The Commission cut-off is 50 cases. France, Spain, Portugal and the UK would all be off any commission-based green list. More worryingly the morbidity rates in France and Spain are also creeping up. We are not seeing that here just yet, but they are about 2 weeks ahead of where we are.

Your probably right Brian most people I talk to including very frequent flyers are focusing on Christmas preparations and are worn down by the hassle of planning travel. People are looking at April 2021 and after hoping things will be better by then. Of course you have a minority who buck that trend and a mate of mine just came back from a 2 week holiday to UAE. The Green list could be down to one or two countries soon . If I go anywhere it will be booked 48 hours before once a new list is published and be back before its reviewed the following week.

Pintman

Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:32 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
EISG1129 wrote:
Pintman wrote:

Interesting you mention this as I had the same issues a few weeks back when I was looking to make my inaugural journey to the islands. I filled in the online enquiry form to try and get the flight and shuttle bus schedules and got no reply. Ended up having to e-mail the other address. As you say, they used to be there; bit odd that they removed them.

Yes, not too sure as to why the online booking facility has been removed but nevertheless, my other half was able to easily book the flights and return bus to Eyre Square after a quick email to the address given on the website. The buses are certainly still running, the price currently set at €9 return which is a very fair price in my opinion. Bus and flight tickets all paid for upon arrival at the airport.

Was great to see them so busy and hopefully they continue to be around for a long time to come and provide an excellent service for locals and tourists alike.

ClassicLover

Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:18 pm

OA260 wrote:
[Your probably right Brian most people I talk to including very frequent flyers are focusing on Christmas preparations and are worn down by the hassle of planning travel.

This describes things perfectly - people are worn down by the hassle of booking travel. I find I book things, they're cancelled, I have to get a refund, sometimes flights are not available for sale even when they're operating, and on and on and on. Travel booking is a hassle right now and the ever changing rules and regulations - not to mention the differing ones by country make it a real slog. Not much we can do about it, but it's certainly not great.

al2637

Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:52 pm

Christmas will be an interesting challenge for the government. The annual homecoming of the diaspora, many of which are living in countries which much less restrictive policies than in Ireland, a significant number will probably have no intention of going into lockdown for 10days once they arrive, given most of them have not come home to see family/friends at all in the past year.

The government can pass as many laws and regulations as they want to try and restrict this, but I still see it happening on an enormous scale. I hope they are working (or at least thinking) on how they are going to handle this. I fear come mid-December they will claim they never foresaw this happening.

OA260

Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:55 pm

al2637 wrote:
Christmas will be an interesting challenge for the government. The annual homecoming of the diaspora, many of which are living in countries which much less restrictive policies than in Ireland, a significant number will probably have no intention of going into lockdown for 10days once they arrive, given most of them have not come home to see family/friends at all in the past year.

If Irish ex pats cant be bothered to respect the rules of the country which the rest of us are having too then they best stay abroad ! Its for the government to make sure all arriving passengers are properly registered into the country and that they have sufficient resources to follow up on all arrivals ramping it up from Mid December until mid January. Many of us have not seen our loved ones since March or before so they have no more rights then anyone else.

EIBoston

Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:29 pm

OA260 wrote:
al2637 wrote:

If Irish ex pats cant be bothered to respect the rules of the country which the rest of us are having too then they best stay abroad ! Its for the government to make sure all arriving passengers are properly registered into the country and that they have sufficient resources to follow up on all arrivals ramping it up from Mid December until mid January. Many of us have not seen our loved ones since March or before so they have no more rights then anyone else.

You are correct, the ex-pats will have to abide by the same rules as everybody. I am one of those and to be honest I will not travel home if the current restrictions are still in place. It is just not worth it. However I believe there could be a better system in place(like pre departure testing and testing on arrival) but seems like that won't happen.

BrianDromey

Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:49 pm

al2637 wrote:

The government can pass as many laws and regulations as they want to try and restrict this, but I still see it happening on an enormous scale. I hope they are working (or at least thinking) on how they are going to handle this. I fear come mid-December they will claim they never foresaw this happening.

It's not like COVID is unique to Ireland. Remember that on arrival back from Ireland a lot of people will have some sort of restriction on their movements. At the moment arrivals into the US from Ireland (UK and Schengen countries too) are currently suspended. Anyone coming home for Christmas who is not a US citizenships or Green Card holder will not be able to return to the US, as it currently stands. There is a narrative that the Irish government have gone into a crazy, draconian, unilateral lock-down. While it might be ill-advised and ineffective the quarantine requirements do keep the borders open.

dangerhere

Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:57 pm

OA260 wrote:
Dublin Airport to become a no-go zone for Germans as Berlin puts capital on COVID risk

The Euro king pins are very wary of people arriving from Ireland as our health officials warn Ireland is on a knife-edge and in grave danger of being hit by a second wave of the killer virus

Germany is to declare Dublin a high-risk COVID hotspot because of the capital’s alarming rise in cases.

If Berlin makes that official any traveller arriving back in Germany from Dublin Airport will have to take a coronavirus test and then stay put until they get their results.

Just worth to mention (as I don't see it mentioned in Irish media), the German rules from October 1st for high risk regions, such as Dublin, will become stricter. Instead of the current test on arrival and isolate until result method, arrivals from Dublin would not be tested on arrival, but forced to quarantine for five days, register with local health office in Germany, then being tested after the fifth day, then back to quarantine until test result (which can be typically several days after). So it might well be somebody is only free after ten days or so.

Fliplot

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Thanks Brian. For a while there I thought Ireland was the only Covid country with restrictions. Certainly according to FR that is the case. I read on RTE that thr DAA are considering testing - too little and a lot too late!

OA260

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:40 pm

dangerhere wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Just worth to mention (as I don't see it mentioned in Irish media), the German rules from October 1st for high risk regions, such as Dublin, will become stricter. Instead of the current test on arrival and isolate until result method, arrivals from Dublin would not be tested on arrival, but forced to quarantine for five days, register with local health office in Germany, then being tested after the fifth day, then back to quarantine until test result (which can be typically several days after). So it might well be somebody is only free after ten days or so.

Thanks for that good to know so in reality any air links from DUB to German airports are effectively for the few and doubt it will be changing anytime soon. Its starting to get worse here in Ireland a bit earlier then most thought and this year is pretty much written off as predicted back in March . Dare I say my prediction is now April 2021 before we leave the current situation sadly .

al2637

Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:57 pm

OA260 wrote:

I agree with you, and I am one of these (living in Amsterdam which is seeing a huge surge in cases). I will make a decision about Christmas much later to the time, a lot can happen between now and then. If I do travel I will abide by all local regulations, but if there is a 10 day isolation its just not worth it. However I think it's wishful thinking that the majority will do the same. It's a difficult one for the government. If they are seen to "cancel Christmas", I think public acceptance of the measures will really start to diminish.

BrianDromey wrote:
It's not like COVID is unique to Ireland.

Of course, my point is that Ireland has had one of the strictest lockdowns (with little effect), people coming from places with more loose restrictions will be less likley to follow measures they think are pointless.

The government can't just make some rules and regulations and expect that they will be followed. They need to have a strategy for this. Be that testing, banning people from travel, or simply letting the virus run wild for a week. The biggest travel period of the year is yet to come.

OA260

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:14 pm

Green list updated

The updated ‘green’ (normal precautions) list outlined below is based on ECDC data on Thursday 24 September, and takes effect from Monday 28 September. Until then, the earlier list continues to apply.

‘Green’ (Normal Precautions) List (effective from Monday 28 September)

Cyprus*
Finland*
Latvia*
Liechtenstein
‘Green’ (Normal Precautions) List (remains in effect until midnight on Sunday 27 September)

Cyprus*
Finland*
Germany *
Iceland*
Latvia*
Lithuania*
Poland

www.dfa.ie/travel/

factsonly

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:54 am

Aer Lingus Regional ATR72-600 EI-FAU operated by Stobart Air operated a Monchengladbach circuit (MGL - MGL), before commencing a flight MGL - BHD:

MGL-MGL:
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... u#2599def3

MGL-BHD
https://www.flightradar24.com/STK72M/2599f540

Test and Positioning flight or ??

OA260

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:10 am

Willie Walsh appointed deputy chairman of CarTrawler

Airline industry veteran Willie Walsh has been appointed deputy chairman of CarTrawler.

CarTrawler is an Irish technology company that provides digital car-hire services to the travel industry.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/willi ... 58501.html

--

Datalex 'focused' as it seals debt deal

Travel software firm Datalex has retained all its clients and "remain focused on potential wins", according to chief executive Sean Corkery.

Mr Corkery was speaking at the embattled company's annual general meeting (AGM) yesterday, which was held remotely.

Chairman David Hargaden said the company continues to face financial challenges, however.

www.independent.ie/business/irish/datal ... 61174.html

---

Just four countries remain on green list: Where do we stand with travel now?

As countries enter and leave the travel green list and airlines call for less restrictions, some passengers are still awaiting flight refunds

Travel to and from Ireland remains shrouded in a fog of unprecedented uncertainty. With the list of countries Irish people can visit without restrictions set to shrink to just four from next Monday, and the increased incidence of Covid-19 here making overseas travel more difficult, it is unlikely there will be any clarity for weeks if not months ahead.

www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/trave ... -1.4363425

BrianDromey

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:30 pm

factsonly wrote:
Aer Lingus Regional ATR72-600 EI-FAU operated by Stobart Air operated a Monchengladbach circuit (MGL - MGL), before commencing a flight MGL - BHD:

MGL-MGL:
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... u#2599def3

MGL-BHD
https://www.flightradar24.com/STK72M/2599f540

Test and Positioning flight or ??

I would have thought so, in connection with the new Stobart flights to GB from BHD. EDI, MAN, EXT and BHX have already started. LBA and EMA from 1st October.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos