jetmatt777
Topic Author

Re: Rumor: United to make announcement at DEN

Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:46 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
BusBlitz wrote:
Source?

I am literally on the ground hearing it from the CEO. So no i dont have a source, I am sure there will be something soon

I'm guessing UGE will still be doing cabin cleaning, water and lav?

correct.

Boof02671

Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:49 pm

IAMAW, United Reach Deal to Insource 150 Jobs at DEN
Sep 1, 202

Sisters and Brothers,

As we continue to work with United Airlines to mitigate as many furloughs as possible, I’m proud to announce that we’ve reached an agreement to insource the balance of the fleet service work that supports the United Express operation at Denver International Airport (DEN). This work will remain insourced through at least the duration of “Section Six” negotiations for a successor agreement between the IAM and United.

This is a tremendous outcome for IAM members at United Airlines. The hard work done by United management and the IAM is an example of how we can work together to improve the lives of IAM members at United and their families. This is especially so at a time when the airline industry faces the biggest challenge in its history. This agreement will protect the jobs of approximately 150 employees immediately.

To make this agreement possible and to potentially mitigate layoffs in Boston (BOS) Tampa (TPA), and Fort Lauderdale (FLL), IAM District 141 and United agreed to allow special staffing assignments in those locations when the needs of service require additional employees. This procedure was set forth in ‘Letter of Agreement October 2020 Furlough Mitigation,’ which was agreed to on July 22, 2020. The Company also withdrew its ability to use special staffing assignments at Austin, Texas.

District Lodge 141 will continue to work with United management to find effective and creative ways to mitigate furloughs and to help steer our airline through this unprecedented crisis.

Read the Denver Fleet Service Work Letter of Agreement below.

Thank you to everyone for your continued solidarity as we face this crisis together.

Michael G. Klemm
President & Directing General Chairman

atrude777

Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:52 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
while not as groundbreaking news as hinted by management. it is terrific news for employees and the city of denver. this will protect many jobs from layoffs and support higher wage jobs in the city.

how much was being handled by Menzies ramp in the current environment? A and parts of B East piers? Everything on the main structure of B was handled by mainline, right?

also, is this going to be mainline employees or UGE?

united mainline will handle all ramp in Denver. Not UGE.

we have been chipping away at their work for a while now, recently taking over bag rooms for UAX as well as gates up to B60. Menzies handles B80-B95 and all A con UAX. So this is great news. This sends a strong signal, that they are willing to increase labor cost to avoid layoffs during a time when they are trying to decrease costs. Says a lot and I am happy to do the work.

Absolutely wonderful news for you guys at United in Denver!

I was former SkyWest, working those United Express Flights on the ramp and always thought it was weird we did the work in a UA Hub.

For others asking, while United Ground Express is owned by United Holdings, it would still be considered outsourcing for United Mainline.

If I understand the Union contracts, UGE cannot do CS or Ramp duties in a UA Hub anyway because UGE is owned by the same Holding Company that owns United Mainline.

This is why you only see UGE doing Wheelchair and Passenger Service in the hubs like EWR, and ORD.

Congrats again for you all at United Mainline! I truly hope this saves more jobs for you all, and signals continued expansion!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

CALMSP

Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:05 pm

its a small gain in DEN, but wonder about IAD, that is a huge operation from UAX that is handled by Swissport.

32andBelow

Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:21 pm

So United people stay employed but a bunch of other people Get laid off. Good for United I guess.

atcsundevil

Re: Updated: United to insource rampers at DEN

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:01 pm

The title has been updated to reflect the announcement.

✈️ atcsundevil

ScottB

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:31 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
we have been chipping away at their work for a while now, recently taking over bag rooms for UAX as well as gates up to B60. Menzies handles B80-B95 and all A con UAX. So this is great news. This sends a strong signal, that they are willing to increase labor cost to avoid layoffs during a time when they are trying to decrease costs. Says a lot and I am happy to do the work.

This may sound a bit cynical, but it probably saves them money if there's another round of airline subsidies which require the airlines to maintain employment. The government will pay the costs of keeping the mainline rampers employed and United saves the costs of paying the vendor for the outsourced work.

AEROFAN

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:42 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Change fees are coming back. :stirthepot:

:rotfl: :rotfl:
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~

Revelation

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:44 pm

uadc8contrail wrote:
kirby is probably there on a layover on his way up to the condo in vail and to get a bite to eat at que bueno

And maybe to enjoy some legal marijuana?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

joeljack

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:48 pm

Wow...does this mean I can start checking my bad again when connecting onto a united express flight in Denver? I've avoided it for a very long time...50% baggage mis-connect rate in my experience, even with super long layovers, doesn't matter. Or maybe this has already been fixed in the last few years, I don't know.

Either way, I hope this helps to fix issues.

jonair8

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:55 pm

Well its about time. I think its embarrassing for a legacy airline to outsource their own pampers in one of their key hubs. Menzies in DEN has been awful and I can't count on a single hand how many times we've sat waiting to go into our vacant gate because the ground crew wasn't ready.

jayunited

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:40 pm

CALMSP wrote:
its a small gain in DEN, but wonder about IAD, that is a huge operation from UAX that is handled by Swissport.

The IAM has been working on this for sometime it started with ORD, then came SFO, LAX and now DEN. If I had to guess I would say probably with the next contract the IAM will secure UAX above and below the wing work at IAD. I think the current contract runs through December 31, 2021.

32andBelow wrote:
So United people stay employed but a bunch of other people Get laid off. Good for United I guess.

No matter how you slice it someone was going to be laid off it was either going to be United employees or Menzies employees.
The truth is UA needed to bring this work in house because like others have already noted the baggage situation at UAX in DEN has been an absolute mess for years. I think it was December 2018 when UA experienced a UAX cataclysmic baggage melt down at DEN right before the Christmas. I think at one point during that melt down UA had around 5,000-7,000 undelivered UAX bags at DEN. UA had to bring in trucks and truck the bags to the destination airport then hire local drivers to deliver the bags to the customers home, or hotel. In some cases if it was a hotel we found that the customer had already checked out. Since Menzies has proven that they can't do the job it's time for UA employees to take over UAX operations at DEN.

DLASFlyer

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:10 pm

Isn’t a bunch of regional ground handling for DL at SLC done by SkyWest? Might see something similar there.

CALMSP

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:13 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
Isn’t a bunch of regional ground handling for DL at SLC done by SkyWest? Might see something similar there.

isn't it DGS? Which is what a large number of DL stations are handled by?

atrude777

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:15 pm

jayunited wrote:
I think it was December 2018 when UA experienced a UAX cataclysmic baggage melt down at DEN right before the Christmas. I think at one point during that melt down UA had around 5,000-7,000 undelivered UAX bags at DEN. UA had to bring in trucks and truck the bags to the destination airport then hire local drivers to deliver the bags to the customers home, or hotel. In some cases if it was a hotel we found that the customer had already checked out. Since Menzies has proven that they can't do the job it's time for UA employees to take over UAX operations at DEN.

Unless it happened again...this also happened in December of 2014, pushing into 2015.

I was SkyWest in Denver in 2014, and we lost the contract to Simplicity. I went to COS December of 2014 to keep my job with SkyWest, and in COS, we were getting planes without bags in the cargo pit. As you also mentioned, we had to drive up to DEN to bring UHauls of Bags down to COS to get them delivered and such.

Absolute nightmare working in COS and finding out flights arrived without bags. SkyWest I am sure had their own issues when they took over Air Wisconsin in the 2000's..but this was a mess and a half.

Very glad to see it finally go to United. I have since left SkyWest and joined UGE in Chicago.

Hope IAD is next! I think this is last UA Hub that still has it outsourced? Is UA Mainline doing CS for Express in IAD?

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

atrude777

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:17 pm

CALMSP wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:

isn't it DGS? Which is what a large number of DL stations are handled by?

SkyWest ground handles the E Gates in SLC for Express on the Ramp (do they do CS too or did that go to DL Mainline?)

DGS was doing quite a bit of ground handling for DL, but SkyWest is slowly catching up and grabbing a lot of the former DGS Stations too.

Alex

FlyingElvii

Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:07 am

Antarius wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
insourcing all UAX in Denver

Can you elaborate? Does this mean all the ground service will become UA employee vs subcontracted to a Swissport or Menzies?

Edit - just saw your reply above. Got it thanks.

More likely that it means Menzies gets laid off so that UA can avoid laying off more UA ramp. You can bet there was a trade off somewhere. Smaller stations go contract again?

FlyingElvii

Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:14 am

I thought Skywest controlled a bunch of the real estate at SLC, dating back to the Western days? Or did they give that up, like Comair did at CVG?

coairman

Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:25 am

atrude777 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
I think it was December 2018 when UA experienced a UAX cataclysmic baggage melt down at DEN right before the Christmas. I think at one point during that melt down UA had around 5,000-7,000 undelivered UAX bags at DEN. UA had to bring in trucks and truck the bags to the destination airport then hire local drivers to deliver the bags to the customers home, or hotel. In some cases if it was a hotel we found that the customer had already checked out. Since Menzies has proven that they can't do the job it's time for UA employees to take over UAX operations at DEN.

Unless it happened again...this also happened in December of 2014, pushing into 2015.

I was SkyWest in Denver in 2014, and we lost the contract to Simplicity. I went to COS December of 2014 to keep my job with SkyWest, and in COS, we were getting planes without bags in the cargo pit. As you also mentioned, we had to drive up to DEN to bring UHauls of Bags down to COS to get them delivered and such.

Absolute nightmare working in COS and finding out flights arrived without bags. SkyWest I am sure had their own issues when they took over Air Wisconsin in the 2000's..but this was a mess and a half.

Very glad to see it finally go to United. I have since left SkyWest and joined UGE in Chicago.

Hope IAD is next! I think this is last UA Hub that still has it outsourced? Is UA Mainline doing CS for Express in IAD?

Alex

Yes. At IAD, mainline UA CS employees work flights for all UAX flights. Below the wing is still Swissport.
The views I express are of my own, and not the company I work for.

SFOtoORD

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:07 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
BusBlitz wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
insourcing all UAX in Denver

Source?

I am literally on the ground hearing it from the CEO. So no i dont have a source, I am sure there will be something soon

That is great news. Smisek or Tilton would never have collaborated with the employee groups this way.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos