Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
OB1504
Posts: 3980
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:47 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:
jfk777 wrote:
Southwest in Miami, I thought I would never live to see the day. FLL was there "Big" South Florida airport. Always expected Jetblue at MIA before Southwest. Midway, BWI, Houston and Love Field would be my picks.


Agreed. I thought B6 might eventually get on some of the Central and SA action in MIA. Getting to FLL from Southern Miami Dade is a nightmare.

I'll say this. This certainly didn't make Doug Parker's day. Ultimately WN could likely eat AA's lunch at MIA on key Caribbean, Central America and Northern SA destinations (that can be reached with a 737-800 Max). What concourse will WN operate out of?


Maybe the same concourse that AirTran did? Have we forgotten that there are still many folks at WN who came from FL and who are very familiar with the MIA market and ops...?


Toward the end FL was down to just a single BWI turn. FL was familiar with the MIA market and chose to focus on FLL instead. Of course, pre-pandemic may as well have been 100 years ago considering how the industry has been shaken up.

I don’t see WN settling for the former FL gates in G, which are the worst possible gates at the airport with minimal amenities and tiny holdrooms designed when propliners were still common. My bet is that they’ll go to F or the aviation department will find a way to make them fit in the South Terminal.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:49 pm

737max8 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Well, I imagine the idea is that a plane would arrive at MIA on a revenue flight and be replaced by a plane exiting maintenance.

Won’t don’t you understand? A plane stays at a vendor for a week to a month. Can’t be used till it’s done. Wouldn’t work for daily flights.


I don't think you get it.....

The plane going into MX flies to MIA on a revenue flight. It doesn't matter how long it stays in MX. The plane it's replacing in the hangar fills its spot in the revenue flying line as it comes out.

You still completely avoid the need to ferry empty flights in. It's still one cost cut in addition to the revenue flying passengers you weren't before.

And yes, this isn't the only or even main reason to add service. Just an added bonus.

You aren’t getting it. A plane is in the hangar for a month. So WN flies 12 flights a day for 30 days. How many flights can the bird in the hangar fly if it’s not airworthy for 30 days?

And WN moved eight domestic MRO lines to Aeroman in San Salvador who is now their primary heavy maintenance vendor.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8425
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:59 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
737max8 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Won’t don’t you understand? A plane stays at a vendor for a week to a month. Can’t be used till it’s done. Wouldn’t work for daily flights.


I don't think you get it.....

The plane going into MX flies to MIA on a revenue flight. It doesn't matter how long it stays in MX. The plane it's replacing in the hangar fills its spot in the revenue flying line as it comes out.

You still completely avoid the need to ferry empty flights in. It's still one cost cut in addition to the revenue flying passengers you weren't before.

And yes, this isn't the only or even main reason to add service. Just an added bonus.

You aren’t getting it. A plane is in the hangar for a month. So WN flies 12 flights a day for 30 days. How many flights can the bird in the hangar fly if it’s not airworthy for 30 days?

And WN moved eight domestic MRO lines to Aeroman in San Salvador who is now their primary heavy maintenance vendor.


No YOU are not getting what ScottB and 737max8 are saying.

Assuming that one aircraft exits heavy maintenance at the same time as another one enters, one aircraft flies in on a revenue service - and then enters maintenance - while the other one operates the turn and returns to flying.

Pretty much all airlines operate flights into maintenance bases like this, so long as the entry and exit of two aircraft are coordinated.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26252
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:00 am

OB1504 wrote:
Judge1310 wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

Agreed. I thought B6 might eventually get on some of the Central and SA action in MIA. Getting to FLL from Southern Miami Dade is a nightmare.

I'll say this. This certainly didn't make Doug Parker's day. Ultimately WN could likely eat AA's lunch at MIA on key Caribbean, Central America and Northern SA destinations (that can be reached with a 737-800 Max). What concourse will WN operate out of?


Maybe the same concourse that AirTran did? Have we forgotten that there are still many folks at WN who came from FL and who are very familiar with the MIA market and ops...?


Toward the end FL was down to just a single BWI turn. FL was familiar with the MIA market and chose to focus on FLL instead. Of course, pre-pandemic may as well have been 100 years ago considering how the industry has been shaken up.

I don’t see WN settling for the former FL gates in G, which are the worst possible gates at the airport with minimal amenities and tiny holdrooms designed when propliners were still common. My bet is that they’ll go to F or the aviation department will find a way to make them fit in the South Terminal.


I think F and G are closed right now.
a.
 
User avatar
zippyjet
Posts: 5107
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2001 3:32 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:28 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
enilria wrote:
doug wrote:
Ok I think Miami will add BWI,MDW,ATL and DAL for starters

I wonder if this is more like B6 moving LGB to LAX, but with FLL? Not that they would leave FLL, but perhaps this is more than it appears.

WN just built that terminal extension in FLL. I can't see that they would be giving up on that already. I think this is kind of like the LA Basin, just covering all the bases. Now they have PBI, FLL and MIA.

[color=#40FFBF]In this borderline hellacious year good news goes a long long way. Our CEO knocked this one out of the park! Started with FL back in '02. LUV/WN bought us and as they say the rest is history! FL had nonstop flighuta to MIA and we filled those 717's. We could have easily filled our new 737-700 series. I and a lot of us were sad when we left MIA. One of the first questions I asked when graciously accepted into the WN family...How about Miami? Rumors we were, we ain't and now it looks like we are going I Regarding FLL, were not going anywhere ! It will be like the Baltimore /Washington area three airports. BWI is the hub, then DCA and IAD. IMO hope we BWI get at least a couple BWI-MIA flights. I'm anticipating in addition DAL-MIA, MDW-MIA ATL-MIA and at least one West coast point for connecting to Hawaii flights. Now, where our gates be at MIA? If I had to wager a bet G concourse here we come . (Fl) used G2 and later a high end G gate. Where I like our MIA gates? It would be great to snag some new D pier gates but, I don't think Aa would be too happy. If not G, I get a feeling concourse J. A nice win win location Low E's. Sort of 80's but connected to the North terminal (D). The best food IMO at MIA. The amazing giant Cuban cuisine restaurant La Ceritta (not sure on spelling) Zippyjet is excited! And, there's a Metro Dade bus that takes you right from points in Miami Beach on the cheap to MIA. And Port Of Miami is the cruise capital of the world and the Cruise Port tunnell is easy peasy to connect to I-95 etc.[ /color=#40FFBF]In
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7314
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:54 am

Miamiairport wrote:
WN isn't going into MIA just like fly to places like BWI. WN has done their analysis and believes their business model will capture a portion of the MIA Hispanic Market. 2 bags free will be a big selling point. Time will tell what their strategy really is and are they successful, particularly if they want to take away from AA. WN is formidable competitor. Pre COVID 19 they had operating income along the lines of AA with half the revenue.

I don't think WN is going for the "Hispanic Market" with MIA. That would mean VFR to Latin America and Caribbean which is a huge no-go save for their Havana flights. WN is definitely going for the business passenger in MIA (yeah yeah yeah low cost, not business friendly, BS!). WN is very much a formidable player in the domestic business travel market, try flying DEN-PHX in the early morning and not finding a dude in a suit or golf clothes. MIA is a big business market and IMO this is definitely a shot at AA.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:29 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
I still can’t believe they weren’t able to make EWR work but they are going to add MIA which is down the road from their “hub” in FLL. Maybe if they sold it as New York/Newark like every other airline it would have worked... But good for WN to expand but not relevant if you live in New Jersey like me. lol.


In FLL, they are up against B6 and Spirit.
In Miami, they are only up against a weakened AA and National Carriers, none of which are much interested in destroying yields for share.

Didn’t Southwest serve PBI in the past?
 
bpat777
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 1999 8:21 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:36 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
I still can’t believe they weren’t able to make EWR work but they are going to add MIA which is down the road from their “hub” in FLL. Maybe if they sold it as New York/Newark like every other airline it would have worked... But good for WN to expand but not relevant if you live in New Jersey like me. lol.


In FLL, they are up against B6 and Spirit.
In Miami, they are only up against a weakened AA and National Carriers, none of which are much interested in destroying yields for share.

Didn’t Southwest serve PBI in the past?


They still operate into PBI
 
airplaneboy
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 11:59 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:48 am

I think some of you are looking way too deeply into this announcement (specifically about MIA).

1. Depending on how the covid/post-covid market develops and evolves, FLL is still here to stay for WN. As a point of destination and origin, as well as a connecting city for the heartland-Caribbean traffic to supplement the local FLL-Caribbean market.

2. MIA probably won’t be targeted as a big growth station unless AA drastically downsizes post covid. I think MIA is going to have service to major O&D domestic markets in which WN has a large presence. I don’t think they’ll jump heavily into the nonstop S. Florida-Northeast competition where B6, AA, and NK dominate. WN has tried Northeast-FLL nonstops in the past without much success. MIA will simply be a spoke to broaden their S. Florida offerings for their frequent fliers. I wouldn’t expect WN to grow past 10-20 departures initially for the first couple of years.

3. MIA will be strictly domestic unless Cuba route authorities become available and are viable. Any other international service from MIA will be highly contingent on travel restrictions and AA’s level of service.
 
FX1816
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:02 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:49 am

ericm2031 wrote:
FX1816 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Does PSP have two gates for WN? It’s not a huge airport.



Absolutely, it will only be about 6 total flights a day. The regional terminal has been getting worked on for a couple months so it will be open again soon. I can't imagine they would really have a need for 2 gates.


Pre-COVID I thought the Sonny Bono Concourse was already operating at max capacity during peak season (obviously it probably won't be this season)? I thought most of the work being done right now was being done on the ticketing building, not the regional concourse? It's been awhile since I've been there though.


It's definitely the regional concourse that is being worked on, mostly the northwest corner of the building/ramp. I have not gone over there to see the progress of the work, I work in the tower there but it has been a perfect time to work on it. Although my understanding is that this was going to be work done during the off season anyways. During the early spring it was not uncommon to have 2 737's there in the afternoon if the Bono Concourse was full. We have been seeing a steady but slow increase in traffic.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8270
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:57 am

airplaneboy wrote:
2. MIA probably won’t be targeted as a big growth station unless AA drastically downsizes post covid. I think MIA is going to have service to major O&D domestic markets in which WN has a large presence. I don’t think they’ll jump heavily into the nonstop S. Florida-Northeast competition where B6, AA, and NK dominate. WN has tried Northeast-FLL nonstops in the past without much success. MIA will simply be a spoke to broaden their S. Florida offerings for their frequent fliers. I wouldn’t expect WN to grow past 10-20 departures initially for the first couple of years.


You're probably right with much of that. WN has backed away from competition with NK in some markets. WN doesn't have the cost structure to compete. Some elements of the WN product just add to costs, like two checked bags free. As in a lot of markets, it can make money below AA/DL/UA avg fares but needs more than NK/F9. AS and B6 have found room in the middle.

CHI-MIA and WAS-MIA are big markets. WN should have no difficulty filling 3-4 flights a day six days a week to each.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3857
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:25 pm

airplaneboy wrote:
I think some of you are looking way too deeply into this announcement (specifically about MIA).

1. Depending on how the covid/post-covid market develops and evolves, FLL is still here to stay for WN. As a point of destination and origin, as well as a connecting city for the heartland-Caribbean traffic to supplement the local FLL-Caribbean market.

2. MIA probably won’t be targeted as a big growth station unless AA drastically downsizes post covid. I think MIA is going to have service to major O&D domestic markets in which WN has a large presence. I don’t think they’ll jump heavily into the nonstop S. Florida-Northeast competition where B6, AA, and NK dominate. WN has tried Northeast-FLL nonstops in the past without much success. MIA will simply be a spoke to broaden their S. Florida offerings for their frequent fliers. I wouldn’t expect WN to grow past 10-20 departures initially for the first couple of years.

3. MIA will be strictly domestic unless Cuba route authorities become available and are viable. Any other international service from MIA will be highly contingent on travel restrictions and AA’s level of service.


Yes. It will be something like:

3x BWI
2x BNA
2x HOU
1x MDW
1x DEN
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 6004
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:42 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
jfklganyc wrote:
So how long can Southwest ignore JFK slots sitting unused?


Not to hijack the thread but since New York to Florida is a big part about being relevant in south Florida...At some point, dont they want to be relevant in NY?

EWR has to be the biggest route planning fiasco in the history of the company.


WN going to JFK would be one of the worst possible things the airline could do. If they couldn’t make EWR work JFK stands no chance. Believe it or not EWR is performing better than JFK right now especially to Florida. This is the same reason why B6 is running EWR-MCO 4x daily but JFK only sees 3x daily service.

WN should have ran a schedule from EWR that included 4x MCO, 3x FLL, 2x SJU, 4x MDW, 3x STL, 2x DEN, 2x TPA. There should have never been OAK, IND, BNA, BWI, etc. If WN were to actually try in NYC they would need LGA or EWR. JFK makes sense for European carriers not WN...



People post without actually knowing what they are talking about...

The reason JetBlue is running more frequency to Newark at this point, is because they have Kennedy slots and gates locked up. They are using this opportunity to grab as many gates and landing spots at EWR as possible before other carriers fill in.

You can rest assured, none of it is going well outside of the DR and other VFR flights.

Even those are doing “relatively well” according to our CFO. Meaning, still garbage loads and yields but better than domestic flying.

Back to the point at hand, Newark was a big mistake for southwest. they should’ve made that work. JFK (and jetblue 20 years ago) is the biggest mistake WN ever made. with plenty of slots available now, they can rectify some of this mistake.

They seem to be taking a Walmart approach to the New York area, basically have stores everywhere else and very few in the New York City metro area. A token presence. As if it’s not worth their while.


I don’t think it’s a good idea. And it speaks to their weakness in a place like Fort Lauderdale… If you’re not a major presence to the New York area airports from Lauderdale, you have a big hole in your network that makes everything else less relevant.

The number one route from Lauderdale, the number one leisure route in the country, one of the largest routes in the country, they are stuck with a token presence to Islip and Laguardia. Stupid.
 
nine4nine
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:52 pm

MIA-HAV flights have to be in play in this one. The amount of baggage on those flights is astounding. And when bags fly free you can guarantee a full plane on this route hands down.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120
 
RL757PVD
Posts: 3197
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 1999 2:47 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:07 pm

I don't expect anything drastic by any means, in this environment WN has to compete for every passenger in the marketplace, in addition airlines are going to need to make as much cash as possible in Q1 meaning, warm and sunny destinations and thats exactly what we see here.

PSP can be simple as 2x OAK, PHX and DEN

MIA could be something simple like 2-3x BWI, 2x BNA, 2x MDW, 1x HOU and a wildcard of 2-3x MCO/TPA. Perhaps some Saturday only flights to places like ISP, BUF and PVD which have Saturday service to every Florida market south of Orlando in the peak.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!
 
Boof02671
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:49 pm

nine4nine wrote:
MIA-HAV flights have to be in play in this one. The amount of baggage on those flights is astounding. And when bags fly free you can guarantee a full plane on this route hands down.

I don’t think there are any route authority open maybe one from Delta but can’t find information if Delta suspended the route or not. And this administration won’t grant any new authority
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26252
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:44 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
MIA-HAV flights have to be in play in this one. The amount of baggage on those flights is astounding. And when bags fly free you can guarantee a full plane on this route hands down.

I don’t think there are any route authority open maybe one from Delta but can’t find information if Delta suspended the route or not. And this administration won’t grant any new authority

Southwest has ended FLLHAV. It can simply apply to switch to MIA.
a.
 
jimatkins
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:57 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:42 am

Great news. Love flying out of PSP, it's the closest airport to our desert oasis. Great to have more options!
 
strfyr51
Posts: 5030
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:20 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
enilria wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
WN just built that terminal extension in FLL. I can't see that they would be giving up on that already. I think this is kind of like the LA Basin, just covering all the bases. Now they have PBI, FLL and MIA.

Then why aren’t they in ORD?


I was going to argue costs... but now they’ve gone to MIA which is not a cheap airport by any stretch of the imagination.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see them try some Intl stuff that may not be working out so well at FLL at MIA, given what a huge market it is. Then again, you lose the connections

I don't think WN can expect to stick tp that "Cheap" stuff anymore. Aside from their being to Big to even think like that anymore. They have to go where the customers ARE and take them where they need to go. Once they built the terminal at DEN? They now have to defend it. And that means? Go in Big? and go in Strong!
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 4291
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Just a reminder that this thread is about WN expansion at MIA and PSP, not a general WN discussion.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:02 pm

And , they haven't 'launch'ed it yet. Cant do that until it actually occurs.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"
 
Insertnamehere
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:44 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:15 pm

It's surprising to me that WN does not fly between the NYC area to the Miami area. There is a very large amount of traffic between the two and B6s success proves there's a market outside of the typical ULCCs and the US3.
 
doug
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 1999 8:54 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:44 pm

2 years from now Miami just a common spoke or a mini Denver in the making?
 
airplaneboy
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 11:59 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:22 pm

doug wrote:
2 years from now Miami just a common spoke or a mini Denver in the making?


Unless AA drastically reduces MIA services, MIA will most likely be just a spoke in WN’s network. 10-20 flights to strong WN markets with high O&D traffic. Perhaps multiple flights to larger WN stations for onward connections (ATL/BNA/TPA/MCO/BWI).
 
flyiguy
Posts: 999
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:21 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:23 pm

I think with their no bag fees, lower prices and minimal fees there will be a huge influx of flyers moving to WN over AA if they can get approved to move the FLL flights to MIA for HAV service.

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3857
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:27 am

flyiguy wrote:
I think with their no bag fees, lower prices and minimal fees there will be a huge influx of flyers moving to WN over AA if they can get approved to move the FLL flights to MIA for HAV service.

FLY


-- Most people with money in Miami have AA status or an AA credit card already so the bag thing is minor
-- AA already matches FLL fares for domestic routes from Miami. WN is not going to be any cheaper.
-- With the demise of change fees, what fee does AA have that WN does not (other than bag fees)?
 
mwmav8r01
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:44 am

usflyer msp wrote:
airplaneboy wrote:
I think some of you are looking way too deeply into this announcement (specifically about MIA).

1. Depending on how the covid/post-covid market develops and evolves, FLL is still here to stay for WN. As a point of destination and origin, as well as a connecting city for the heartland-Caribbean traffic to supplement the local FLL-Caribbean market.

2. MIA probably won’t be targeted as a big growth station unless AA drastically downsizes post covid. I think MIA is going to have service to major O&D domestic markets in which WN has a large presence. I don’t think they’ll jump heavily into the nonstop S. Florida-Northeast competition where B6, AA, and NK dominate. WN has tried Northeast-FLL nonstops in the past without much success. MIA will simply be a spoke to broaden their S. Florida offerings for their frequent fliers. I wouldn’t expect WN to grow past 10-20 departures initially for the first couple of years.

3. MIA will be strictly domestic unless Cuba route authorities become available and are viable. Any other international service from MIA will be highly contingent on travel restrictions and AA’s level of service.


Yes. It will be something like:

3x BWI
2x BNA
2x HOU
1x MDW
1x DEN



I dont think you should leave out MCO and TPA, AA has some serious frequency on those. Im guessing SJU also. STL potentially too.
 
Chasensfo
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:32 am

Very interesting. MIA could be served by any number of markets, but I'd expect OAK\SJC for sure for PSP, as well as perhaps DEN and maybe a few others. Bay Area to PSP traffic is very heavy, and SJC and OAK are definitely wide open markets right now on that route. I'd be surprised to see WN join in the SFO-PSP blood bath where AS\UA have been established for decades, but the seasonal demand is there, at least. Not sure about year round, especially in the next 2-3 years.
 
OB1504
Posts: 3980
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:24 am

usflyer msp wrote:
flyiguy wrote:
I think with their no bag fees, lower prices and minimal fees there will be a huge influx of flyers moving to WN over AA if they can get approved to move the FLL flights to MIA for HAV service.

FLY


-- Most people with money in Miami have AA status or an AA credit card already so the bag thing is minor
-- AA already matches FLL fares for domestic routes from Miami. WN is not going to be any cheaper.
-- With the demise of change fees, what fee does AA have that WN does not (other than bag fees)?


No seat selection fees on WN. Plus they offer friendlier staff, a more comfortable hard product, and better operational reliability.

I actually have two AA credit cards and this post reminded me that I should convert one to something else since I rarely fly AA anymore. I think a lot of flyers would be willing to jump ship if WN becomes a viable alternative.
 
tphuang
Posts: 5330
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:55 am

WN should start off with BWI, BNA, MDW and HOU, I don't think they need to go beyond that for the first round. And maybe after that, they can add DAL, ATL, DEN and STL. I don't really see why they need to go international in the near future.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:01 pm

mwmav8r01 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
airplaneboy wrote:
I think some of you are looking way too deeply into this announcement (specifically about MIA).

1. Depending on how the covid/post-covid market develops and evolves, FLL is still here to stay for WN. As a point of destination and origin, as well as a connecting city for the heartland-Caribbean traffic to supplement the local FLL-Caribbean market.

2. MIA probably won’t be targeted as a big growth station unless AA drastically downsizes post covid. I think MIA is going to have service to major O&D domestic markets in which WN has a large presence. I don’t think they’ll jump heavily into the nonstop S. Florida-Northeast competition where B6, AA, and NK dominate. WN has tried Northeast-FLL nonstops in the past without much success. MIA will simply be a spoke to broaden their S. Florida offerings for their frequent fliers. I wouldn’t expect WN to grow past 10-20 departures initially for the first couple of years.

3. MIA will be strictly domestic unless Cuba route authorities become available and are viable. Any other international service from MIA will be highly contingent on travel restrictions and AA’s level of service.


Yes. It will be something like:

3x BWI
2x BNA
2x HOU
1x MDW
1x DEN



I dont think you should leave out MCO and TPA, AA has some serious frequency on those. Im guessing SJU also. STL potentially too.

MCO and TPA are flown to feed AA’s hub. WN won’t need to fly either as AA (and DL if they restart those routes) can more than cover the O&D flight demand that does exist.
 
guillelds
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:20 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:21 am

Why not WN serving south America out of MIA?
 
SWADawg
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:30 pm

guillelds wrote:
Why not WN serving south America out of MIA?

I think there is a good chance that they will over time. Probably not until late 2021 or sometime in 2022 though.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:25 pm

Yes I think if WN does well domestically at MIA they will at some future point begin to add CA and northern SA. Their 2 bags free would be very attractive to travelers to that region. Since there's no F cabin WN isn't going to chase that pax segment anyway. The question is how would AA react. WN has not always been overwhelmingly successful at driving out the competition, for example PHL.
 
User avatar
Miami
Posts: 6180
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:03 pm

Miami lacks LCC. This was well overdue. Needed. Necessary, etc. MIA pax get more options. It also helps prevent people from driving to FLL from Miami-Dade/Monroe.

I think Southwest does very well at MIA. I just hope MIA treats them well.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2226
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:24 pm

Miami wrote:
Miami lacks LCC. This was well overdue. Needed. Necessary, etc. MIA pax get more options. It also helps prevent people from driving to FLL from Miami-Dade/Monroe.

I think Southwest does very well at MIA. I just hope MIA treats them well.



The drive to FLL is inconsequential. I don't see MIA adding anything they can't already do out of FLL.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
southbound35
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:27 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Miami wrote:
Miami lacks LCC. This was well overdue. Needed. Necessary, etc. MIA pax get more options. It also helps prevent people from driving to FLL from Miami-Dade/Monroe.

I think Southwest does very well at MIA. I just hope MIA treats them well.



The drive to FLL is inconsequential. I don't see MIA adding anything they can't already do out of FLL.



Maybe at 2AM ... Traffic is awful in South Florida from 6AM - 9PM. Can take 30 minutes to get from MIA to FLL, can regularly take 3 hours.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3694
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:57 pm

There were 24 U.S. airports that carried more domestic passengers in 2019 than MIA did, and 19 of these 24 airports are already served by WN.

ORD, DFW, IAH, EWR, and JFK are the only U.S. airports with more domestic passengers in 2019 than MIA that aren't already served by WN, but WN did previously serve IAH and EWR.
 
doug
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 1999 8:54 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:04 pm

jplatts wrote:
There were 24 U.S. airports that carried more domestic passengers in 2019 than MIA did, and 19 of these 24 airports are already served by WN.

ORD, DFW, IAH, EWR, and JFK are the only U.S. airports with more domestic passengers in 2019 than MIA that aren't already served by WN, but WN did previously serve IAH and EWR.

Excellent point
 
barney captain
Posts: 2356
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:47 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:55 pm

Kelly explains the reasons behind the moves here - and they seem like good ones. Breadth over depth indeed.

First of all, there are huge numbers of growth opportunities remaining for Southwest.

Number two, we’re in an environment where our business challenge is customers. We’ve had a catastrophic reduction in customers flying — off 65% versus a year ago. And so what we need to remedy our business problem is more customers. At this point in time, there’s no way to get more depth in the market. Right now, there are only so many people that are going to fly between Dallas and Houston. I’ll call that depth.

The opportunity for us is more breadth and tap into new destinations that will give our loyal customers another opportunity to choose Southwest.




https://liveandletsfly.com/southwest-ai ... -dD_AIZt0M
Southeast Of Disorder
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:24 pm

southbound35 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
Miami wrote:
Miami lacks LCC. This was well overdue. Needed. Necessary, etc. MIA pax get more options. It also helps prevent people from driving to FLL from Miami-Dade/Monroe.

I think Southwest does very well at MIA. I just hope MIA treats them well.



The drive to FLL is inconsequential. I don't see MIA adding anything they can't already do out of FLL.



Maybe at 2AM ... Traffic is awful in South Florida from 6AM - 9PM. Can take 30 minutes to get from MIA to FLL, can regularly take 3 hours.
when exactly is that? When does it regularly take 3 hours to go from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?
 
santi319
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:38 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
southbound35 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Maybe at 2AM ... Traffic is awful in South Florida from 6AM - 9PM. Can take 30 minutes to get from MIA to FLL, can regularly take 3 hours.
when exactly is that? When does it regularly take 3 hours to go from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?


Yeah no, completely exaggerated, its 1 hour tops with heavy traffic, theres also the turnpike, Trirail and Brightline. And Ive seen ubers for as low as $29 usd from MIA to central Broward County on a Sunday night..

It is a shared market.
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:41 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Miami wrote:
Miami lacks LCC. This was well overdue. Needed. Necessary, etc. MIA pax get more options. It also helps prevent people from driving to FLL from Miami-Dade/Monroe.

I think Southwest does very well at MIA. I just hope MIA treats them well.



The drive to FLL is inconsequential. I don't see MIA adding anything they can't already do out of FLL.


MIA vs FLL is a huge deal for those of us that go to The Keys. I for one will welcome this add with open arms. I DREADED that added drive because of the traffic. MIA shaves off a good chunk of time and frustrations.
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:12 pm

santi319 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
southbound35 wrote:
when exactly is that? When does it regularly take 3 hours to go from Miami to Fort Lauderdale?


Yeah no, completely exaggerated, its 1 hour tops with heavy traffic, theres also the turnpike, Trirail and Brightline. And Ive seen ubers for as low as $29 usd from MIA to central Broward County on a Sunday night..

It is a shared market.

It really is strange to see people constantly act as if Dade and Broward have a militarized border that forces people to stay on either side. As if people who fly here on B6, WN, NK, etc. don’t visit Miami Beach or Wynwood or AA at MIA is limited to just people living in Miami-Dade.
 
elbandgeek
Posts: 452
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:09 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Miami wrote:
Miami lacks LCC. This was well overdue. Needed. Necessary, etc. MIA pax get more options. It also helps prevent people from driving to FLL from Miami-Dade/Monroe.

I think Southwest does very well at MIA. I just hope MIA treats them well.



The drive to FLL is inconsequential. I don't see MIA adding anything they can't already do out of FLL.

My best friend who moved to Miami last year would disagree. He's been making the drive up to FLL for his trips back home here to Chicago because he's been loyal to WN and when he heard the news about them going into MIA it was like christmas morning. That's the kind of market they're after here.
 
Okcflyer
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:22 pm

Hope WN launches XNA at some point
 
lx2iah
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:01 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:09 pm

Southwest announces its new routes from Miami:

Southwest Airlines has announced today that it will launch first-ever daily flights at Miami International Airport to four destinations on November 15: Baltimore/Washington; Chicago (Midway Airport); Houston (Hobby Airport); and Tampa.

The combined total of 12 daily round-trip flights will make Southwest one of the busiest passenger airlines currently operating at MIA.

Southwest’s flights to Baltimore four times daily and Tampa three times daily will significantly increase MIA’s existing service to those cities, while its four daily flights to Houston Hobby and daily flight to Chicago Midway will provide new service from MIA to those airports.

Source: www.worldairlinenews.com
 
737max8
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:21 pm

tphuang wrote:
WN should start off with BWI, BNA, MDW and HOU, I don't think they need to go beyond that for the first round. And maybe after that, they can add DAL, ATL, DEN and STL. I don't really see why they need to go international in the near future.


You were very close, just sub BNA for TPA!
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:35 pm

737max8 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
WN should start off with BWI, BNA, MDW and HOU, I don't think they need to go beyond that for the first round. And maybe after that, they can add DAL, ATL, DEN and STL. I don't really see why they need to go international in the near future.


You were very close, just sub BNA for TPA!


BNA will probably come in the next round, along with DEN and DAL.
 
avi8
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:36 am

Re: Southwest launch service to Miami & Palm Springs

Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:50 pm

I wonder why TPA and HOU were added with such an aggressive amount of capacity.
avi8

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos