Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hiflyeras

Re: JetBlue Advancing Focus City Strategy (New Route Announcements)

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:09 pm

AS flew LAX-CUN for many years and if I recall, the yields didn't justify keeping that flight operating. AS flies to many cities in Mexico from LAX so it's not like they don't know the markets...but that one wasn't a keeper in their opinion.

tphuang

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:30 pm

JFKalumni wrote:
tphuang wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Which cities were shelved out of EWR?

Just curious

from what I can see, all still active even after the cuts
EWR-LAX is 2 to 3x daily in October
EWR-SFO is daily
EWR-AUS 4x weekly
EWR-CHS 5x weekly
EWR-JAX 5x weekly
EWR-SRQ 2x weekly
EWR-PHX 4x weekly
EWR-LAS 2x daily (1 on mint now)
EWR-SAN 4x weekly (on mint)

The 1 route they have cut for October is EWR-BOS! Shows you where the BOS business market demand is at right now.

I see about 27 departures on peak days in October.

I suspect the island routes will do better than some of the domestic leisure stuff they added, since NK is unlikely to enter those markets.

JFKalumni wrote:
I agree.

Between DL flooding JFK/LGA with A321's and A220's and UA possibly upgrading selected Caribbean flights to widebody's (EWR-SJU,etc) B6 might be biting off more than they can chew.

EWR-PUJ,SDQ,SJU,CUN,AUA can all support 767 turns

It doesn't look like you have any concept of how well JetBlue does on EWR island stuff. They had higher yield on EWR-SJU per passenger than UA, because UA was using 767 and had to fill large portions of that aircraft with connection traffic. The VFR stuff out of EWR are among their top performers at the moment.

And the best part about the island route is that there will be no NK/F9 competition due to the higher taxes. So no need to deal with sub $20 fares a week out.

As for DL, they got their own problem right now at JFK/LGA due to complete lack of business demand. JetBlue is mostly a leisure/VFR carrier there.

I can't stress this enough. LGA/EWR to Florida has to deal with rock bottom fares from NK, JFK to Florida does not.

JetBlue has their own problems out of EWR and JFK as well so please stop making them out to be royalty.

I’ve loaded 777-200’s and 300’s maxed out to SJU with well over 300 passengers and the bulk of the traffic was not connecting to additional flights.

Yet the data would show otherwise. From DOT fare data we have for 2019 Q3, UA was about 35 to 40% connection on this route.

Regardless of what UA's connection % is, the fact is JetBlue have done well on its EWR island flights. And during the pandemic, they are among the top performers.

Just to put things into perspective, EWR-SJU had higher yield for JetBlue than BOS-SJU and JFK-SJU in 2019 Q3.

Of course JetBlue has its own problems at EWR/JFK. They will trim back schedule like all the other carriers. The might not run flights at the announced capacity until well into next year. But JetBlue has strong reputation in NY area and will be able to co-exist with UA even if UA load widebodies on these island flights. UA putting widebodies on EWR-SJU certainly hasn't affected JetBlue's performance in the past.

There is no evidence that " B6 might be biting off more than they can chew" when they are simply just adding the most obvious leisure routes missing out of EWR. Their recent adds to EWR/LGA/JFK are all logical adds for an airline looking to grab a larger chunk of NY leisure and overall market.

If you are living in NJ right now, you can fly to most of the islands, Cancun, all of Florida, California, Vegas, Arizona and Texas on JetBlue. There aren't that many places left that they are not flying to. So unless you do a lot of business travel, you can have most of your flying needs covered by JetBlue. That's going to draw some people away from UA.

jfklganyc

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:33 pm

Newark is not a risk for them because they are known entity in the New York market.

This is just a natural expansion which may have occurred over a number of years occurring over a number of months

STT757

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:39 pm

With these additions at this point in time B6 is making a big play for gates at the new Terminal One which opens in 2021. The gates at Terminal One are going to be CUTE, the growth of B6 now and the recent expansions by NK and F9 are quickly eating up space. UA needs to have a plan to get their piece of the facility.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

EastCoastWing

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:48 pm

tphuang wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Just curious

EWR-SFO is daily
EWR-AUS 4x weekly
EWR-CHS 5x weekly
EWR-JAX 5x weekly
EWR-SRQ 2x weekly
EWR-PHX 4x weekly

The 1 route they have cut for October is EWR-BOS! Shows you where the BOS business market demand is at right now.

I suspect the island routes will do better than some of the domestic leisure stuff they added, since NK is unlikely to enter those markets.

JFKalumni wrote:
I agree.

Between DL flooding JFK/LGA with A321's and A220's and UA possibly upgrading selected Caribbean flights to widebody's (EWR-SJU,etc) B6 might be biting off more than they can chew.

It doesn't look like you have any concept of how well JetBlue does on EWR island stuff. They had higher yield on EWR-SJU per passenger than UA, because UA was using 767 and had to fill large portions of that aircraft with connection traffic. The VFR stuff out of EWR are among their top performers at the moment.

And the best part about the island route is that there will be no NK/F9 competition due to the higher taxes. So no need to deal with sub $20 fares a week out.

As for DL, they got their own problem right now at JFK/LGA due to complete lack of business demand. JetBlue is mostly a leisure/VFR carrier there.

I can't stress this enough. LGA/EWR to Florida has to deal with rock bottom fares from NK, JFK to Florida does not.

EWR-SRQ never started up, we haven't seen a B6 flight into the airport since late March/early April when they previously served JFK and BOS. They have hired a ground handling company for their gate/ticket counter at SRQ but no flights yet and I believe the new hires are just going to training now.

jco613

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:52 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
jco613 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Huh? There is no way WN would ever fly FLL-PSP. In fact, I doubt B6 will actually start it. I can see adding flights from cold places to PSP but why does someone from Florida need to go to PSP. The only people I could see actually flying this route regularly are the male prostitutes from Wilton Manors. :stirthepot:

Indirect warning shot. We see what you’re doing and we don’t like it.

WN will never fly FLL-PSP but B6 doesn’t want them on MIA-NE (where WN could do some damage imo) so they’re just reminding WN they see them. I don’t think FLL-PSP actually flies.

I'm not following your logic at all.

My theory here is B6 was ready to go into MIA but WN beat them to it and WN is going to start NE-MIA routes. Maybe retaliation is a better word in this case

trueblew

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:16 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
trueblew wrote:
I thought it was intended to cater to CHS area pax, but the timing of the flights suggests otherwise. For me the most surprising thing about this particular route announcement was the timing of the flights. Who wants to arrive at their vacation destination that late?

LAX-CHS 0900-1629
CHS-LAX 1800-2036

Timezone dude.

To arrive earlier would mean an ungodly departure from LAX. Who wants to wake up at 4am for a 7am flight to Charleston just to get there by 230 instead of 430? Not me!

This is perfect timing for LA travelers going on vacation, especially a quick Thursday-Sunday trip.

That was the point I clearly made that was apparently lost on you. The timing is much better for LAX POS than CHS POS. The post I was replying to said it would only cater to CHS residents.

MAH4546

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:38 pm

trueblew wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
trueblew wrote:
I thought it was intended to cater to CHS area pax, but the timing of the flights suggests otherwise. For me the most surprising thing about this particular route announcement was the timing of the flights. Who wants to arrive at their vacation destination that late?

LAX-CHS 0900-1629
CHS-LAX 1800-2036

Timezone dude.

To arrive earlier would mean an ungodly departure from LAX. Who wants to wake up at 4am for a 7am flight to Charleston just to get there by 230 instead of 430? Not me!

This is perfect timing for LA travelers going on vacation, especially a quick Thursday-Sunday trip.

That was the point I clearly made that was apparently lost on you. The timing is much better for LAX POS than CHS POS. The post I was replying to said it would only cater to CHS residents.

It was not lost on me. You suggested that 430 is too late for somebody in California to arrive in Charleston for vacation when I countered it’s not at all.
a.

joeblow10

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:38 pm

richierich wrote:
tphuang wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
why wouldn’t you just go to Cabo or Hawaii?

That would require opening a new station. Which they seem to be hesitant to do right now..

Pretty sure JetBlue doesn't have the aircraft to fly to Hawaii right now, and why would they want to do that during COVID? I love the state of HI but they are basically not accepting visitors, unless you plan on being there for several weeks. Opening a new station is expensive (real estate, service, crew), and I would imagine that the strategy is clearly to avoid that at all costs.

I agree with other posters that some of these new routes (and MINT routes) may or may not work out in the long run; all new routes will have to earn their keep eventually. However, a good number of these are very likely to be permanent, and I think this is all part of a very conscious effort by B6 to cautiously probe and expand during this terrible time for the industry. I think the growth from EWR and LAX is here to stay in one form or another; the LAX international routes are also noted as significant because it is their first international offerings from the LA area, and they couldn't offer those services from LGB, of course.

I didn't mean B6 going to Hawaii - I meant the customers themselves. If I'm living in Cali, I'll just to go Hawaii or SJD, maybe PVR. It's just as far to CUN as it is to Hawaii...

trueblew

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:43 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
trueblew wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Timezone dude.

It was not lost on me. You suggested that 430 is too late for somebody in California to arrive in Charleston for vacation when I countered it’s not at all.

I was suggesting if I was from Charleston I wouldn't want to arrive at LAX at 9pm, my hotel at 10-1030pm (130am body clock!). You still aren't reading what I wrote, and I wrote it as basically as possible. I'll repeat for you. The timing is much better for LAX POS than CHS POS. :banghead:

jco613

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:47 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
jco613 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Huh? There is no way WN would ever fly FLL-PSP. In fact, I doubt B6 will actually start it. I can see adding flights from cold places to PSP but why does someone from Florida need to go to PSP. The only people I could see actually flying this route regularly are the male prostitutes from Wilton Manors. :stirthepot:

WN will never fly FLL-PSP but B6 doesn’t want them on MIA-NE (where WN could do some damage imo) so they’re just reminding WN they see them. I don’t think FLL-PSP actually flies.

My theory here is B6 was ready to go into MIA but WN beat them to it and WN is going to start NE-MIA routes. Maybe retaliation is a better word in this case

trueblew

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:53 pm

jco613 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
jco613 wrote:

I too think B6 was preparing to enter MIA, likely after the pandemic crisis subsided. Now, not so sure. If WN pulls back a bit at FLL I'm sure B6 will move to backfill.

usflyer msp

Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:32 pm

jco613 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
jco613 wrote:

I guess I don't see what message FLL-PSP is sending to WN. When you retaliate, you want to make it clear that you are retaliating. Retaliation would be B6 launching FLL-BWI 6x daily or launching FLL-DEN.

tphuang

Re: JetBlue Network Thread - 2020

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Actually, I took a second look at their RDU adds. Aside from LAX, the other routes face no scheduled daily competition (when looking at non pandemic trimmed schedules). Either they are looking to avoid ticking off DL or they are just looking for less competitive routes to start off.

Also, another news that came out yesterday was Enovy closing its NYC base. From what I read, Envoy did all 44/50 seat flying out of LGA/JFK. Again, this confirms that AA will probably stop flying 44/50 seaters out of NYC. As I estimated previously, that would probably reduce AA by 30 to 40 flights out of LGA with many of those slots likely leased to JetBlue.

catiii

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:10 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
catiii wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Let's be real here and avoid hyperbolic phrases like "locking down". B6 has little hope of controlling even 30% of the market in the long run.

Newark is an NYC play. Bigger presence there, combined with the superior position at JFK plus whatever comes of the AA codeshare wherein they shift flying to B6 in NYC which likely means more growth at JFK and LGA.

Bingo.

UA has a sole hub. DL and B6 go about it differently.

I hear UA is kicking the tires at JFK again. So there must be something about a multi airport approach in NYC

Wonder where they can get into a gate?

catiii

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:15 pm

JFKalumni wrote:

Right. All that wide body day-turn flying UA was doing into the Caribbean preCOVID to support that infinite demand will come back after the pandemic.

flyby519

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:10 pm

catiii wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
catiii wrote:

Newark is an NYC play. Bigger presence there, combined with the superior position at JFK plus whatever comes of the AA codeshare wherein they shift flying to B6 in NYC which likely means more growth at JFK and LGA.

Bingo.

UA has a sole hub. DL and B6 go about it differently.

I hear UA is kicking the tires at JFK again. So there must be something about a multi airport approach in NYC

Wonder where they can get into a gate?

T8? :stirthepot:

phllax

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:33 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
AS flew LAX-CUN for many years and if I recall, the yields didn't justify keeping that flight operating. AS flies to many cities in Mexico from LAX so it's not like they don't know the markets...but that one wasn't a keeper in their opinion.

When you don't have AS, DL, UA, and WN each flying the route multiple times per day, including at least DL and UA red-eyes, there will be money to be made. Right now it's down to UA daily and DL both with 739's.

Tack

Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:25 pm

phllax wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

When you don't have AS, DL, UA, and WN each flying the route multiple times per day, including at least DL and UA red-eyes, there will be money to be made. Right now it's down to UA daily and DL both with 739's.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see that change. As pointed out above, Mexico is a destination that is open to Americans right now. I’m sure most US carriers see some routes in Mexico as having a potential to generate cash flow, even if it’s lower yield. West Coast to CUN has never driven big numbers, the route uses a ton of aircraft time...but, If it puts some shekels in the bank, B6 might soon find some competition from airlines with better west coast connectivity on a few of these new routes.

RDUDDJI

Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:11 am

GSP psgr wrote:
I expect that DL will retrench at least a little bit and focus on their ATL and DTW trunk hubs, so there could be some openings at RDU to be had-for which there are stronger cases than the likes of very long thin routes like LAX-CHS/RIC for sure.

I don't think DL is interested in adding leisure or P2P business flying at the moment. Flying 66% full airplanes on low yielding routes isn't an optimal strategy. Time will tell if that's the right approach, but at the moment it seems to be their play. Things are changing so fast, it's really hard to predict what the market will bear in the next few weeks, if not months.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

RDUDDJI

Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:17 am

Sctvman wrote:

It’s only 1 flight a day, but 162 passenger planes is a lot. Probably a big subsidy from the county a reason why.

I would be very surprised if municipalities were still offering subsides for anything given the current financial environment, not to mention the lack of demand. Who knows, maybe I'm the crazy one. :D

tphuang

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:18 am

Tack wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see that change. As pointed out above, Mexico is a destination that is open to Americans right now. I’m sure most US carriers see some routes in Mexico as having a potential to generate cash flow, even if it’s lower yield. West Coast to CUN has never driven big numbers, the route uses a ton of aircraft time...but, If it puts some shekels in the bank, B6 might soon find some competition from airlines with better west coast connectivity on a few of these new routes.

Keep in mind that there is no shortage of available aircraft time right now. There is a shortage of places JetBlue can fly to because northeast demand has been hit rally hard and they simply have no place to fly all these parked aircraft. Other airlines might not have the same problem.

Stuff like LAX-RIC/CHS also use a ton of aircraft time and are not high yielding, but they think it's the best way for them to build up their focus city in LAX.

Intra-west coast stuff is dominated by all the other airlines. For JetBlue to stand out, they have to try some stuff that's different. So you will see them do a lot of these long and thin transcon on A220 and also use mint on a lot of the other transcon. Having an extensive transcon network with great hard product can help build their reputation in the market place. They've always done a lot of international stuff from east coast. So it's natural for them to try the same in LAX. I think once you have more of a network to transcon and central America, that's when you will see them add more west coast frequencies.

LAX is not a bad place to connect if you want to go from west coast to CUN or places like Florid and southeast to west coast.

lga31vfr

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:59 am

tphuang wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Just curious

EWR-SFO is daily
EWR-AUS 4x weekly
EWR-CHS 5x weekly
EWR-JAX 5x weekly
EWR-SRQ 2x weekly
EWR-PHX 4x weekly

JFKalumni wrote:
t.

It was a no brainer, the MINT stuff out of EWR. MINT saved JetBlue when they started it up a few years ago. Its hard to find a place where MINT hasnt been successful.

However, all the other EWR stuff should just get shelved. Why even bother. AUS, CHS, JAX, SRQ, all have abysmal loads. The Caribbean won't fair much better either, especially with UA announcing no change fees on Caribbean routes now and UA having a much better operational plan at IROP recovery. B6 simply doesnt do very well in bad weather or even good weather for that matter. Something they themselves even admitted they have to work on. EWR very simply will not be the slam dunk success that some people think it will be for B6. This is not the UA from several years ago. This is a very well run organization from the top down. If your a UA frequent flier, I don't think your switching loyalties to B6 over a few Caribbean routes.

Nicknuzzii

Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:06 pm

lga31vfr wrote:
tphuang wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Just curious

EWR-SFO is daily
EWR-AUS 4x weekly
EWR-CHS 5x weekly
EWR-JAX 5x weekly
EWR-SRQ 2x weekly
EWR-PHX 4x weekly

JFKalumni wrote:
t.

It was a no brainer, the MINT stuff out of EWR. MINT saved JetBlue when they started it up a few years ago. Its hard to find a place where MINT hasnt been successful.

However, all the other EWR stuff should just get shelved. Why even bother. AUS, CHS, JAX, SRQ, all have abysmal loads. The Caribbean won't fair much better either, especially with UA announcing no change fees on Caribbean routes now and UA having a much better operational plan at IROP recovery. B6 simply doesnt do very well in bad weather or even good weather for that matter. Something they themselves even admitted they have to work on. EWR very simply will not be the slam dunk success that some people think it will be for B6. This is not the UA from several years ago. This is a very well run organization from the top down. If your a UA frequent flier, I don't think your switching loyalties to B6 over a few Caribbean routes.

How would SRQ have such awful loads if it hasn’t even launched yet?

MIflyer12

Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:39 pm

lga31vfr wrote:

Hmm... There aren't many domestic-49 routes that have successfully supported lie-flat configs. NYC-LAX/SFO. Some BOS-LAX/SFO, a little selectively. SEA-JFK, very selectively. Some DCA-LAX as exemptions to perimeter constraints due to the relative convenience of DCA vs. IAD/BWI. Lower density means higher CASM; every carrier needs a big premium for lie-flats vs. domestic F.

Maybe B6 will find some winning routes (and even limited times of day) that get the yields needed for Mint. UA and DL have had the 757s to run more West Coast or Caribbean lie-flats, yet didn't. Check back ~15 months after launch and see if B6 has maintained the routes & frequencies.

lga31vfr

Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:42 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
lga31vfr wrote:
tphuang wrote:
EWR-SFO is daily
EWR-AUS 4x weekly
EWR-CHS 5x weekly
EWR-JAX 5x weekly
EWR-SRQ 2x weekly
EWR-PHX 4x weekly

meant PHX. didnt have my 2nd cup of coffee yet. PHX was supposed to be 2x daily. now its 4x weekly. Most days it goes out relatively empty.

Nicknuzzii

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:10 pm

lga31vfr wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
lga31vfr wrote:

meant PHX. didnt have my 2nd cup of coffee yet. PHX was supposed to be 2x daily. now its 4x weekly. Most days it goes out relatively empty.

Gotcha. Where do you get your loads? I’m quite interested in finding out for other routes too.

Jo8338

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:25 pm

The key to this flight is timing. The reason it failed in 2013 was the fact that it was an eastbound red eye. Most people flying this route are either seniors or flying with kids. Neither of which can handle a red eye.
Interesting fact why AA ran the red eye. They didn’t have catering in PBI and the morning westbound was catered the night before in LAX. First only got a continental breakfast.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
PBI-LAX didn't pan out for AA when they flew it in 2013, but this time on B6 with MINT it could be a winner.

FLL-PSP/BZN could do okay. MIA/FLL-PSP traffic I sense would be present particularly in winter if their were a nonstop option. We don't know how many people fly from south Florida to other airports in southern California and then drive to PSP. Just based on anecdotal evidence, I sense it is a fair number. Enough to support 2 weekly nonstops? Maybe.

lga31vfr

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:25 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
lga31vfr wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Gotcha. Where do you get your loads? I’m quite interested in finding out for other routes too.

Its actually not that difficult to figure out. While not the most accurate, seat mappers still give you a very good idea. Take a look at EWR-CHS for Tuesday. Empty. Also, still selling lots of blue basic seats.

RDUDDJI

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:43 pm

I just realized the RDU-SJU/CUN/MBJ service is daily. I'm one the biggest RDU fanboys out there, and I'm happy to see B6 expansion locally, but those are nuts. Even in pre-covid times those markets haven't seen daily frequencies since the AA hub days if memory serves. Might work for the holiday seasons, but I don't see it making it further than Presidents day (since there prob won't be a "traditional" spring break next year).

We may take advantage of some of those flights during the holidays.

Nicknuzzii

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:50 pm

lga31vfr wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
lga31vfr wrote:

Its actually not that difficult to figure out. While not the most accurate, seat mappers still give you a very good idea. Take a look at EWR-CHS for Tuesday. Empty. Also, still selling lots of blue basic seats.

Oh yes I do that too but they aren’t reliable until around an hour before departure.

tphuang

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:55 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Here is my advise for you. This guy looks up seat map for months ahead and determines the load. He has no idea of how many people actually fly and ignores the fact that most people are buying BE ticket these days and aren't going to select seats in advance.

I'm permanently ignoring him because he is obsessed with telling everyone (especially me) that every new JetBlue route will fail.

RDUDDJI wrote:
I just realized the RDU-SJU/CUN/MBJ service is daily. I'm one the biggest RDU fanboys out there, and I'm happy to see B6 expansion locally, but those are nuts. Even in pre-covid times those markets haven't seen daily frequencies since the AA hub days if memory serves. Might work for the holiday seasons, but I don't see it making it further than Presidents day (since there prob won't be a "traditional" spring break next year).

We may take advantage of some of those flights during the holidays.

Don't expect these routes to operate at announced frequency for a long time. They will determine how long these routes run and at what frequency level once they have a better idea of demand. I think most of the non-EWR/LAX stuff are just testing out the water and seeing what sticks.

You will see that they went out their way to avoid direct competition on the leisure routes they announced. I guess if these routes perform well, they will stick around in some capacity and you will also see JetBlue add more Florida routes.

trueblew

Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:15 pm

lga31vfr wrote:
tphuang wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Just curious

EWR-SFO is daily
EWR-AUS 4x weekly
EWR-CHS 5x weekly
EWR-JAX 5x weekly
EWR-SRQ 2x weekly
EWR-PHX 4x weekly

JFKalumni wrote:
t.

You realize B6 have been flying to the Caribbean for years from EWR and doing remarkably well at it, right? PR, DR, Barbados. Oh well, why even bother.

And seat maps for load information? Are you kidding?? Regardless of what actual loads are, seat maps are 0% accurate indicators of bookings. Since you project yourself as educated on the industry you are surely aware that some economy fares do not come with seat selection and therefore do not take up room on the seat map.

hpff

Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:18 pm

lga31vfr wrote:

I doubt JetBlue really cares - most of these aren't even daily, and the current definition of "slam dunk success" for airlines is "the route breaks even or comes close."

TYWoolman

Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:30 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Fascinating. Major events like the pandemic (or catastrophic hurricanes, etc.) usually result in shake-ups of routes and market shares. JetBlue is really looking aggressive on this front, along with UA. AA and DL are largely sitting back (especially DL, which is pretty unusual for it).

Agreed, DL's lack of additions amid all the subtractions is quite remarkable. Have they added anything the last few months other than SEA-ONT?

Agreed, also. Delta has been focused on winning the "image" war on the covid front. Delta has been known as being quietly aggressive during the Ron Allen days and I think that's what is going on here now. All expansion by others are already Delta strongholds. I am sure they are watching very closely. It doesn't take much to put otherwise idle aircraft on new leisure-oriented routes to maximize assets, if necessary.

ElroyJetson

Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:46 pm

I think most of these B6 additions will work and I see it primarily as a shot across the bow directed at WN and secondarily DL.

The RIC adds are very interesting to me because WN has neglected that market for years. The nonstops to LAX and LAS overflies MDW, DEN, STL, and BNA. WN should have added those markets years ago, but while they slept, UA started flights to DEN that have been very successful, and Allegiant started flights to BNA.

WN connects a lot of West coast traffic to RIC from ATL. B6 is now effectively undercutting quite a bit of that connecting traffic.

The RDU adds I see directed at DL that was turning RDU into a focus city until retreating due to covid. RDU like AUS is growing very rapidly, and again I think a good move by B6.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100

usflyer msp

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:10 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
WN connects a lot of West coast traffic to RIC from ATL.

Not really. Right now, WN is not flying ATL-West Coast at all and only flew to LAX, SAN, and OAK (+LAS if you want to consider that West Coast) pre-COVID. Only LAX had more than 1 flight per day. I'm not quite sure why people are making the non-NYC parts of this B6 announcement into some sort of attack against WN.

tphuang

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:33 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
I think most of these B6 additions will work and I see it primarily as a shot across the bow directed at WN and secondarily DL.

The RIC adds are very interesting to me because WN has neglected that market for years. The nonstops to LAX and LAS overflies MDW, DEN, STL, and BNA. WN should have added those markets years ago, but while they slept, UA started flights to DEN that have been very successful, and Allegiant started flights to BNA.

WN connects a lot of West coast traffic to RIC from ATL. B6 is now effectively undercutting quite a bit of that connecting traffic.

The RDU adds I see directed at DL that was turning RDU into a focus city until retreating due to covid. RDU like AUS is growing very rapidly, and again I think a good move by B6.

the top markets by O&D out of RIC are
BOS
NYC
ATL
South Florida
Orlando
Chicago
LA
Dallas
Denver
Bay Area
Tampa
Houston
MSP
LAS

Now, AA currently only flies 50 seaters with Envoy on NYC-RIC. I'd expect them to be out of this market now that Envoy is closing NYC base. I'd expect this to be a market JetBlue enters once the partnership with AA finalizes (maybe from both JFK and LGA). At which point, they will be servicing 5 out of 7 top markets out of RIC. And I'd expect 7 out of top 10, since offering direct service to TPA and LAS will likely catapult those markets ahead of MSP, Houston and Bay Area.

Seems like they could also be making a play on RIC's local market here. Which makes sense given other LCCs haven't made a play for this market and they have no presence anywhere else in Virginia.

phllax

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:53 pm

Jo8338 wrote:
The key to this flight is timing. The reason it failed in 2013 was the fact that it was an eastbound red eye. Most people flying this route are either seniors or flying with kids. Neither of which can handle a red eye.
Interesting fact why AA ran the red eye. They didn’t have catering in PBI and the morning westbound was catered the night before in LAX. First only got a continental breakfast.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
PBI-LAX didn't pan out for AA when they flew it in 2013, but this time on B6 with MINT it could be a winner.

Yes, timing for this flight is everything and I was very happy to see the schedule and find a daylight eastbound and perfectly timed westbound flight!

That catering issue was also the reason why the US PBI-LAS flight had to leave after 8pm, so they could get away with offering the snack basket only. What I was told is that the caterer at PBI went bankrupt after 9/11. US flights didn't even pull trash during turns, and only got bags of ice provided by the station from igloo coolers in the jetways.

umichman

Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:01 pm

jco613 wrote:
Looks like LAX routes were in the cards to begin with. FLL-PSP is a warning shot at WN. The other adds are just to get people And planes moving and as profitable as possible. We will continue to see these adds moving forward. Every airline now has a Frontier dart board in their route planning office because somethings gotta stick!

One note is DL has essentially pulled out of The RDU Focus city since covid. No word on if this is permanent but B6 May be trying to emulate the DL focus city there. They’d be smart to do so because RDU might be back sooner than most markets and many employees who would otherwise be furloughed from the northeast would love to relocate there. It’s a cheaper and easier lifestyle.

DL (and the other legacies) have largely been adjusting schedules month-to-month waiting for signs of improvement. The RDU (and CVG) domestic focus city schedules are still largely intact if you search further out. Several routes return in the November schedule while a number of others have had their restarts delayed until late December/early January. They could continue to push restarts back if demand does not return, but there's little reason to speculate the cuts are permanent when the flights are still loaded in the schedule.

izbtmnhd

Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:10 pm

When you look at this stuff you kinda see how not having a decent Midwest presence hurts B6 and AS.

We’re in a VFR environment and UA is using spare aircraft to link Midwest cities to Florida during peak winter travel while B6 is limited to make riskier VFR moves like RIC-LAS and CHS-LAX. Likewise with AS in starting SEA-RSW. Very long thin routes when margins are tighter than ever.

ElroyJetson

Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:26 pm

phllax wrote:
Jo8338 wrote:

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:

Yes, timing for this flight is everything and I was very happy to see the schedule and find a daylight eastbound and perfectly timed westbound flight!

That catering issue was also the reason why the US PBI-LAS flight had to leave after 8pm, so they could get away with offering the snack basket only. What I was told is that the caterer at PBI went bankrupt after 9/11. US flights didn't even pull trash during turns, and only got bags of ice provided by the station from igloo coolers in the jetways.

Spirit and Allegiant have a presence in RIC. G4 is also at ORF. Still B6 has been in the RIC market for years and has a very loyal customer base there. Again, WN has been asleep at wheel for years in the Richmond market. UA, G4, and now B6 are definitely taking advantage and I say good for them.

I don't think too many people would care if WN left RIC. The few token flights to ATL are already well covered by DL with vastly better connections.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100

Jo8338

Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:31 pm

phllax wrote:
Jo8338 wrote:

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:

Has the schedule been published. What are the times?

Jo8338

Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:36 pm

What is B6 going to do with catering Mint out PBI? I assume it will have to come eastbound from the LAx flight?

jfklganyc

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:03 pm

I don’t understand why people obsessed with “shots across the bow.”

If you work at an airline right now, and you were not just an enthusiast with a keyboard, They are just trying to survive.

Not just B6...every airline.

EWR and LAX were planned...the crisis allowed it to happen sooner.

Everything else is about using parked planes and making money at the moment.

“They will fly as long as they can...” that is what they are saying

There are no games, no plays, no gotchas.

Dont be the first to collapse. Airline Survivor 2020

MAH4546

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:04 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
lga31vfr wrote:

Hmm... There aren't many domestic-49 routes that have successfully supported lie-flat configs. NYC-LAX/SFO. Some BOS-LAX/SFO, a little selectively. SEA-JFK, very selectively. Some DCA-LAX as exemptions to perimeter constraints due to the relative convenience of DCA vs. IAD/BWI. Lower density means higher CASM; every carrier needs a big premium for lie-flats vs. domestic F.

Maybe B6 will find some winning routes (and even limited times of day) that get the yields needed for Mint. UA and DL have had the 757s to run more West Coast or Caribbean lie-flats, yet didn't. Check back ~15 months after launch and see if B6 has maintained the routes & frequencies.

Mints highest yielding market is FLLLAX.
a.

phllax

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:12 pm

Jo8338 wrote:
phllax wrote:
Jo8338 wrote:

Has the schedule been published. What are the times?

B6 2010 departs LAX 8am arrives PBI 3:52 pm
B6 2009 departs PBI 5pm arrives LAX 8:33 pm

FARmd90

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:17 pm

Jo8338 wrote:
What is B6 going to do with catering Mint out PBI? I assume it will have to come eastbound from the LAx flight?

Times for LAX-PBI are
LAX-PBI 8:00-15:52
PBI-LAX 17:00-20:33

Jetblue also doesn’t round trip cater mint planes except for maybe the Caribbean flights, even then I think it’s freshly catered still. For both mint and core.

B6 already does full catering in PBI for select flights due to aircraft rotation so it shouldn’t be hard for them to do mint catering now.

StinkyPinky

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Jo8338 wrote:

Probably just drive catering up from FLL, same as how they drove catering from LAX (Torrance) down to LGB.

Jo8338

Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:39 pm

It’s the only Mint flight out of PBI. It’s hard to believe they can make the MINT offerings in such small quantities

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos