Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

departedflights
Topic Author

Royal American Airways

Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:28 pm

Hello...

I am wondering if anyone out there has any information at all about Royal American Airways. They seem to have been a commuter airline in the mid to early 80s that operated first in the southeastern United States and then moved out west. I can find pics of their Grumman Gulfstream and Vickers Viscount aircraft on anet, but I cannot find anything else about them.

Does anyone have any information? Thanks in advance.
The opinions are expressed are my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my coworkers or my employer.

PI4EVR

Re: Royal American Airways

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:07 pm

Sorry I could not post the link. Airline was based in LAS. Go to "timetableimages.com" for their route map, and flight schedules. There may be other information via Google or Bing such as "Defunt Airlines" type headers but did not take time to pursue further. Hope this tidbit is helpful.

departedflights
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:30 pm

PI4EVR wrote:
Sorry I could not post the link. Airline was based in LAS. Go to "timetableimages.com" for their route map, and flight schedules. There may be other information via Google or Bing such as "Defunt Airlines" type headers but did not take time to pursue further. Hope this tidbit is helpful.

I appreciate that but I know where and what they flew... and I tried Google. Was really trying to find something more about the history. Thank you for the response, though.
The opinions are expressed are my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my coworkers or my employer.

Superboi

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:01 pm

departedflights wrote:
Hello...

I am wondering if anyone out there has any information at all about Royal American Airways. They seem to have been a commuter airline in the mid to early 80s that operated first in the southeastern United States and then moved out west. I can find pics of their Grumman Gulfstream and Vickers Viscount aircraft on anet, but I cannot find anything else about them.

The Word Royal and American, Just don't match :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesn't sound right

sunking737

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:31 pm

Royal West maybe??
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

departedflights
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 pm

sunking737 wrote:
Royal West maybe??

No... definitely Royal America....Other than a couple of timetable images, I can't find any other information.

Here is where they are operating out of DFW...

Here is where they apparently moved out west...

MO11

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:13 pm

Royal American was based in Fayetteville, AR, formed by several area businessmen. It began flying in November 1980 using a Convair 600 between Fayetteville and Little Rock. It quickly amassed a fleet of Convairs and Viscounts to operate flights from Fayetteville to DFW, MCI, and Joplin. And in June 1981, it was done. It was taken over by Go Group (Tucson) the following year and operated flights from Las Vegas with the Viscounts. You can see a schedule in http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/tt8211e.htm. I'm not sure how regular these flights really were. It also had an operation in Ft. Lauderdale in the mid-80s. One of its Viscounts operated ACMI for Atlantic Gulf Airlines. Its ultimate demise is unclear since Go Air was eventually entered bankruptcy, while its original owners started another airline in 1985.

It didn't have Gulfstreams; maybe you're thinking of Royale, which operated Gulfstreams in Louisiana.

The Royal American name was next used on BAe 146s operated by Empire Airlines in charter services.

ScottB

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:36 pm

MO11 wrote:
Royal American was based in Fayetteville, AR, formed by several area businessmen. It began flying in November 1980 using a Convair 600 between Fayetteville and Little Rock. It quickly amassed a fleet of Convairs and Viscounts to operate flights from Fayetteville to DFW, MCI, and Joplin. And in June 1981, it was done.

An airline hubbed in Fayetteville, AR. How could you go wrong???

departedflights
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:54 pm

MO11 wrote:
Royal American was based in Fayetteville, AR, formed by several area businessmen. It began flying in November 1980 using a Convair 600 between Fayetteville and Little Rock. It quickly amassed a fleet of Convairs and Viscounts to operate flights from Fayetteville to DFW, MCI, and Joplin. And in June 1981, it was done. It was taken over by Go Group (Tucson) the following year and operated flights from Las Vegas with the Viscounts. You can see a schedule in http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/tt8211e.htm. I'm not sure how regular these flights really were. It also had an operation in Ft. Lauderdale in the mid-80s. One of its Viscounts operated ACMI for Atlantic Gulf Airlines. Its ultimate demise is unclear since Go Air was eventually entered bankruptcy, while its original owners started another airline in 1985.

MO11.... that was just the type of information I was looking for! Thank you very much!

MO11 wrote:
It didn't have Gulfstreams

That might explain why I couldn't find any pictures of them!

Thanks again!

B757Forever

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:02 pm

I recall that Royal American acquired their Convair 600 aircraft from SMB Stage Line (cargo carrier) who had acquired the entire Texas International Convair 600 fleet. SMB's maintenance group pulled the aircraft from storage (still in pax configuration from TI) and prepared them for delivery to Royal American.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

deebee278

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:27 pm

I do know they were flying LAS-GCN in the early 80s at the time I was doing my tours flying for Scenic in the C404. Don't remember if they were actually flying the tour or only flying back and forth. If I took a shot of one at the time, you have it now :-)

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:37 pm

departedflights wrote:
I am wondering if anyone out there has any information at all about Royal American Airways.
This probably isn't going to help much, but I did my own bit of research, and discovered a whole bunch of vaguely related Viscounts at Tucson (*) at about that time.

In addition to the obvious N140RA & N145RA, I'm seeing Go Air, Go Transportation Inc, Go Group (aka Ron Clark Enterprises or Ronald J Clark), Fred S Brown Enterprises, & Viscount Air Service / Viscount Unlimited Inc.

Good luck following any of those links; I guarantee you will end up following Alice down a rabbit-hole.

Many of these Viscounts at one time carried NxxxRA, RB or RC serials
RA for Royal American (meh!)
RB for Roger Brothers Investments (?), who bought, leased or sold, N145RA, N906RB and N200RC i.e. one of each flavor! :lol:
RC for Ronald J Clark (the name behind the Go Group), but in one two cases pertaining to Ray Charles Enterprises, both carrying the registration N923RC, representing his birthday (September 23rd)

I have a suspicion some or all of these companies are related to Royal American. But it is only a suspicion.
The waters are very muddy. Maybe I should ask Ray Charles to take a look? :scratchchin:

And of course it isn't helped by the fact most of these a/c appear with multiple registrations; so in each case I have selected the most appropriate from many IDs.
"Tucson" Viscounts
c/n 40 N22SN now at Pima Air & Space
c/n 41 N240RC
c/n 51 N180RC
c/n 117 N460RC (chartered at one time by Barry Manilow)
c/n 183 N905G
c/n 184 N906RB (Men at Work, Genesis, but also Royal American)
c/n 191 N140RA (version #2, see also c/n 282)
c/n 201 N923RC (version #1), N500TL, N220RC, XA-MIU (not XA-MOS!) (Earth Wind & Fire, Brothers Johnson, Alice Cooper)
c/n 213 XA-COT / N7458
c/n 228 N24V (as chartered by Earth, Wind & Fire)
c/n 229 N660RC
c/n 282 painted as N140RA (version 1), but never left the UK.
c/n 320 N500TL / N923RC (#2) Ray Charles Enterprises
c/n 321 N410RC
c/n 334 N200Q / XA-MOS (1959 VIP interior for Mrs Merriweather Post, owner of General Foods, and Mar-a-Lago, long before Trump) (scrap remains appeared on film in "Con Air")
c/n 341 N145RA (Rod Stewart)
c/n 391 N150RC (chartered by Bad Company)
c/n 392 N6598C, N98CR (CR= Charlie Rich aka the "Silver Fox"), N200RC (Dave Mason, Tanya Tucker, Fleetwood Mac, Scorpions, U2)
c/n 397 N480RC (also XA-MIJ)
c/n 403 ex Arkia 4X-AVE, for spares
c/n 419 ex Arkia 4X-AVG, for spares

To be honest, this is as far as I've got. I need a finger or two of bourbon before I delve any deeper. :white:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Tack

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:57 am

I want to say it was mid to late 1983, when I was first in LGB. Royal American flew a Viscount evening LAS-LGB-LAS flight. Above and below wing was handled by a small LGB FBO called Air-Serv. The owner was a guy named Kevin, I’m withholding his last name. He started Air-Serv at LGB when he was 18 and just out of High School. When I got to LGB with AS in September of 1982, I used to work for him for extra cash. Including checking in those flights with AS seat tabs modified for their plane, when he got their contract. Never really full, but my first and only in person looks at a Viscount. I think the flights didn’t make it even 6 months.

admanager

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 am

Clearly the airline didn't get the memo about billboard titles being the new trend of the 80's.
Question...were these the last Viscounts in operation in the US?

crownvic

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:33 am

departedflights wrote:
Hello...

This might help you....From what I recall, the operation was actually folded into Viscount Air Services that flew 737-200s who were based in Tucson. Just google them. I actually used to charter their 737s for lots of work back in the late 80s/early 90s. When I went to their headquarters back then, there were many Viscounts strewn all over the place. I cannot remember clearly, but I think the RAA AOC was moved over to the new airline. Hence the lineage of the new name.

tharanga

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:45 am

What an odd name for a country that lacks a monarchy.

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:00 am

admanager wrote:
Question...were these the last Viscounts in operation in the US?

The captions accompanying the photos below read
N7471; "This aircraft made a few flights for the museum in the early 1990's but was grounded after the fuel system was contaminated followed by an engine failure."

Also "The aircraft was flown in to DCA for the 1993 Airliners International convention and remained on static display throughout the event."

As for the comments regarding ROYAL American being inappropriate; perhaps one should remember that the ranks of the peerage are (in order) Duke, Marquess, Earl, Viscount, and Baron.

Lrockeagle

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:06 am

ScottB wrote:
MO11 wrote:
Royal American was based in Fayetteville, AR, formed by several area businessmen. It began flying in November 1980 using a Convair 600 between Fayetteville and Little Rock. It quickly amassed a fleet of Convairs and Viscounts to operate flights from Fayetteville to DFW, MCI, and Joplin. And in June 1981, it was done.

An airline hubbed in Fayetteville, AR. How could you go wrong???

WalMart wasn’t what it is and Tyson probably not either. Would be interesting to hear the thinking behind this.
Lrockeagle
15 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?

ScottB

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:57 am

Lrockeagle wrote:
WalMart wasn’t what it is and Tyson probably not either. Would be interesting to hear the thinking behind this.

In all seriousness, if I had to venture a guess, there were probably a couple of purposes. The flights to LIT were a link to the state capital; pre-TSA and before I-49, flying probably saved a good two hours and there's probably some traffic generated by the University of Arkansas. The flights to DFW and MCI would have allowed for access into the broader networks of TI, BN, AA, TW, DL, etc. -- they were probably able to interline with those carriers. That was even back before AAdvantage existed, and before comprehensive networks of regional carriers, affiliated with mainline carriers, had been established.

MO11

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:21 pm

crownvic wrote:
departedflights wrote:
Hello...

This might help you....From what I recall, the operation was actually folded into Viscount Air Services that flew 737-200s who were based in Tucson.

Same owners, different entity. Royal American operated under FAR 121. Viscount operated under FAR 125 until 1992, when it got in trouble.

KlimaBXsst

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:33 pm

departedflights wrote:
sunking737 wrote:
Royal West maybe??

No... definitely Royal America....Other than a couple of timetable images, I can't find any other information.

Here is where they are operating out of DFW...

Here is where they apparently moved out west...

Thanks for catching this missed part of our American Aviation History.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

aeromoe

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:45 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
RC for Ronald J Clark (the name behind the Go Group), but in one two cases pertaining to Ray Charles Enterprises, both carrying the registration N923RC, representing his birthday (September 23rd)

Never knew the connection between Ray Charles' birthday and the registration...thanks for that. I got to go aboard this Viscount at Denver Stapleton in May 1982...even have some photos. It wasn't very luxuriously appointed but it wasn't in airline configuration, either. Nice piece of history. It was later written-off after departing the runway upon landing at Bloomington, IN on October 19, 1985. Thankfully no one was killed in the accident.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

aeromoe

Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:48 pm

tharanga wrote:

Umm...hello. What about Prince? He was just beginning to make it big here at the time! :white:
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

OzarkD9S

Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:48 pm

aeromoe wrote:
tharanga wrote:

Umm...hello. What about Prince? He was just beginning to make it big here at the time! :white:

For all our democratic inclinations, many American's are royally inclined:

Prince: Well said!
Clark Gable: The "King of Hollywood"
Elvis: The "King of Rock and Roll"
Aretha Franklin: The "Queen of Soul"
Various "Robber Barons"
An old Constance Talmadge silent "The Duchess of Buffalo"
Joan Crawford's "Queen Bee"

an on and on and on...
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

aeromoe

Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:58 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
tharanga wrote:

Various "Robber Barons"

an on and on and on...

Very nicely done!

Some adds:

Tom Petty's "Kings Highway"
USA also has a variety of "Kingbird" birds: Western Kingbird, Eastern Kingbird, Couch's Kingbird, etc etc.
Roger Miller's "King of the Road"
"King of the Hill" cartoon

and on and on...

OzarkD9S

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:15 pm

aeromoe wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
aeromoe wrote:

Various "Robber Barons"

an on and on and on...

Very nicely done!

Some adds:

Tom Petty's "Kings Highway"
USA also has a variety of "Kingbird" birds: Western Kingbird, Eastern Kingbird, Couch's Kingbird, etc etc.
Roger Miller's "King of the Road"
"King of the Hill" cartoon

and on and on...

Well we could do this ALL DAY but thanks for the compliment!

One more:

DION: "King of the New York Streets". And yeah, he sorta was and still is...from a nostalgic point of view.

Peace.

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:52 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
tharanga wrote:

Oh come on.... some of them are just made up appendages; I'm talking real royalty.
Count Basie
Duke Ellington
Lady Gaga
Queen Latifah
and of course
Nat King Cole.

But yeah, I'll agree Aretha was the Queen of Soul. :yes:

Thankyou, and goodnight. :wave:

OzarkD9S

Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:57 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:
aeromoe wrote:

Oh come on.... some of them are just made up appendages; I'm talking real royalty.
Count Basie
Duke Ellington
Lady Gaga
Queen Latifah
and of course
Nat King Cole.

But yeah, I'll agree Aretha was the Queen of Soul. :yes:

Thankyou, and goodnight. :wave:

Well played Sheik

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos