Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

intaJET
Topic Author

British Airways (BA) introducing new First Class suites with doors.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Greetings,

An interesting article (link below). British Airways (BA) introducing new First Class suites with doors (selected aircraft). Playing catch-up. Hope they can recapture some of their Premiere reputation that they were once world renowned for, Good Luck BA.

https://onemileatatime.com/british-airw ... with-door/

Be safe everyone.
IntaJET

Opus99

Re: British Airways (BA) introducing new First Class suites with doors.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:15 pm

The updated first suite will be on ALL 777-300ERs. Operating routes like JFK,LAX and HKG. As more are introduced/refurbished more super high j routes will be added

Antarius

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:42 pm

I really do not understand this "fad" for doors. I guess I find it a solution to a non-existent problem. Sure, without a door someone may catch a glance of my IFE or my hand when I'm reaching out to get something. But big deal?

Also, it isn't a real door, anyone standing up can look over. So you aren't getting privacy anyway.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Opus99

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:49 pm

Antarius wrote:
I really do not understand this "fad" for doors. I guess I find it a solution to a non-existent problem. Sure, without a door someone may catch a glance of my IFE or my hand when I'm reaching out to get something. But big deal?

Also, it isn't a real door, anyone standing up can look over. So you aren't getting privacy anyway.

In club suite yes. Not in the new first. It’s very difficult unless someone looks into the suite

Vicenza

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:55 pm

Opus99 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

In club suite yes. Not in the new first. It’s very difficult unless someone looks into the suite

Have to agree with Antarius. Why the need for so much 'privacy'....it's only an airline flight?

Opus99

Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:00 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Opus99 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Have to agree with Antarius. Why the need for so much 'privacy'....it's only an airline flight?

Privacy has become a very big thing for majority of premium travellers. If you don’t have privacy in first then you have a sub standard product

johnboy

Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Antarius wrote:

Not saying you’re right, not saying you’re wrong. But this general argument was uttered multiple times (on this very site - “why can’t anyone just read a book?”) after a few airlines initially sexed up planes with IFE.

peterinlisbon

Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:21 pm

To me it seems a bit antisocial. I'd rather be sitting in a wide open cabin than feel like I'm traveling inside a closet.

Antarius

Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Opus99 wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
Opus99 wrote:

Privacy has become a very big thing for majority of premium travellers. If you don’t have privacy in first then you have a sub standard product

Sure. I'm not disputing that it is the "in" thing or that everyone is rushing to keep up with the Joneses. I was more commenting on whether it really adds value.

The Qsuite was fun when it first came out for the novelty. But part of getting that door was a horribly restrictive seat. Your feet are stuck under the IFE and in a footwell and getting up requires some weird contortionist leg movement or retracting the seat back to sitting position.

The way I look at these suite doors is like public restroom urinal partitions. They offer you "privacy", but in reality don't do much. Anyone over 5' 10" can look over.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

peterinlisbon

Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:33 pm

If you want to know what it feels like to work in a Call Centre, buy a business class ticket on BA.

strfyr51

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:02 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Opus99 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

It doesn't mater of the privacy they NEED? It only matters the Privacy they're willing to Pony up FOR. That's important to the Airline!

ClassicLover

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:28 pm

Antarius wrote:
The Qsuite was fun when it first came out for the novelty. But part of getting that door was a horribly restrictive seat. Your feet are stuck under the IFE and in a footwell and getting up requires some weird contortionist leg movement or retracting the seat back to sitting position.

Interesting you say that, because I really love the two by two business class seats on Qatar.

When you have the seat in bed mode it is long, wide and plenty of room.

I find the footwell on airlines like Aer Lingus business class to be unnecessarily restrictive.

I should be trying the Qsuite soon, so I am curious to see how spacious it actually is compared to the older product.

peterinlisbon wrote:
If you want to know what it feels like to work in a Call Centre, buy a business class ticket on BA.

Oh fnar, fnar! As someone who has worked in Call Centre (and loved it) and flown Club World in the yin yang seats, there is no comparison :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Antarius

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:34 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Interesting you say that, because I really love the two by two business class seats on Qatar.

Other than the Zodiac Cirrus (CX 77W and a350 J seats for example), the 2-2-2 J seats on QR are my favorite as well. They aren't "sexy", but you have an absolutely ridiculous amount of room and unlimited foot space.

the QSuite is much snazzier, but the footwell sucks. Since you like the old J seat on QR, I expect you'll feel the same way as I do on the QSuite.

ClassicLover

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Antarius wrote:
Other than the Zodiac Cirrus (CX 77W and a350 J seats for example), the 2-2-2 J seats on QR are my favorite as well. They aren't "sexy", but you have an absolutely ridiculous amount of room and unlimited foot space.

the QSuite is much snazzier, but the footwell sucks. Since you like the old J seat on QR, I expect you'll feel the same way as I do on the QSuite.

I agree, the Cathay Pacific 77W seat makes a really good bed. I had it on three flights back in November last year.

You're completely right, the old 2-2-2 QR seats are not sexy at all, but the amount of space you have is second to none. I got lucky and on all my flights to and from Auckland I had the seat beside me free. That meant I used the window seat as a bed and the aisle seat for watching movies and so on. It was extremely great.

I'll have to remember to let you know my thoughts after I fly Qsuite. Hopefully it'll be late November.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

SCQ83

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:47 pm

I reckon this has to do with COVID.

Suites with doors where a thing for Asian or Middle Eastern carriers because those societies usually value privacy more.

Now with COVID, Western societies are also becoming more isolated (e.g. social distancing) so it makes sense that people wants more privacy and further away from strangers.

BawliBooch

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:27 pm

Never liked the idea of a room on a plane!

I hope BA does something about the reverse facing seats in their business class. That is just weird!
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

Opus99

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:28 pm

BawliBooch wrote:

I hope BA does something about the reverse facing seats in their business class. That is just weird!

They have...

BawliBooch

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:30 pm

Opus99 wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:

They have...

Which planes have been/are scheduled to be updated with regular business class seating?
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

Antarius

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:35 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
Opus99 wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:

They have...

Which planes have been/are scheduled to be updated with regular business class seating?

The 77Ws.

New seat

Opus99

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:39 pm

Antarius wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
Opus99 wrote:
They have...

The 77Ws.

New seat

All 772s at Heathrow
All 77Ws
All 787s
A350

Every jet that flies from Heathrow except the 747 and probably the 380 will nave club suite.

Which jets have it now?

8 772s
No 773s yet (first coming this month)
No 787-8 or 9
All 350s (6)
All 787-10s (2)

Where did you get just the 77w from?

Antarius

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:51 pm

Opus99 wrote:
Antarius wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:

The 77Ws.

New seat

All 772s at Heathrow
All 77Ws
All 787s
A350

Every jet that flies from Heathrow except the 747 and probably the 380 will nave club suite.

Which jets have it now?

8 772s
No 787-8 or 9
All 350s (6)
All 787-10s (2)

https://pointmetotheplane.boardingarea. ... ite-cabin/

They've started the retrofit on the 77W. The 772s as well, forgot about those

Opus99

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:54 pm

Antarius wrote:
Opus99 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

The 77Ws.

New seat

All 772s at Heathrow
All 77Ws
All 787s
A350

Which jets have it now?

8 772s
No 787-8 or 9
All 350s (6)
All 787-10s (2)

https://pointmetotheplane.boardingarea. ... ite-cabin/

They've started the retrofit on the 77W. The 772s as well, forgot about those

They haven’t started the 77ws yet. They’ve just been added to the winter schedule. The retrofit doesn’t start till jam 2021. What is on the schedule is the new 77Ws G-STBM-G-STBP. STBM coming this month and then the rest in October, November and December and then from that point the retrofit kicks in

jfk777

Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:21 pm

The 77W's in question are new planes British Airways is getting, it's Willie Walsh's last gift before retirement.

Opus99

Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:44 pm

jfk777 wrote:
The 77W's in question are new planes British Airways is getting, it's Willie Walsh's last gift before retirement.

he's already gone LOL. a week ago

FlyCaledonian

Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:50 pm

The linked article in the OP included an extract from a BA memo that referenced 77H and 77L (internal designations I suspect). The 77H has the new First and is the 77W (the four new aircraft coming this year - G-STBM/N/O/P). I'm making a guess that given the 77H doesn't have First this will be the G-YMM* RR powered fleet, all of which are scheduled to become three-class birds (currently it's ten four-class/nine three-class).
Let's Go British Caledonian!

bourbon

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:51 am

The BA first class seat is the same seat AA has on most 777-200’s and 787’s
The BE super diamond

myki

Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:22 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Suites with doors where a thing for Asian or Middle Eastern carriers because those societies usually value privacy more.

... and for Middle Eastern carriers, the nationals of those countries can pound the alcohol back during the flight without any judgemental looks from those passing by ;)

S0Y

Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:38 am

the doors thing is driven by bloggers who have an anti-social bias and put a huge premium in privacy. If sleeping, the door is great but otherwise ...........
Some of my favorite flights have been in the nose of a 747 (TG F or for biz a KL DC10) where the sense of space was amazing.

spacecadet

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:24 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
To me it seems a bit antisocial.

Congrats - you get the point.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

StTim

Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:12 am

Opus99 wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:

They have...

My preference was always to have one of the rearward facing seats. I just loved them.

It takes all sorts.

vahancrazy

Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:35 am

Those seats look like the chemical toilette at music festival with a TV screen upgrade... No thanks!

VSMUT

Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:02 am

peterinlisbon wrote:

Nothing wrong with that. We aren't all extroverts that need to socialize with strangers once an hour.

peterinlisbon wrote:
I'd rather be sitting in a wide open cabin than feel like I'm traveling inside a closet.

There is definitely a balance to it. Totally enclosed often works for window seats, but can be a nightmare for middle seats. It really turns the seat into an office cubicle with no external views or natural light entering. IMO, Singapore Airlines' business class on the A350, 777-300ER and A380 works pretty well. It has the right amount of privacy, but also allows middle seat passengers to get some views and natural lighting. The first class on their 777-300ER is similar, while the new A380 interior solves it by not having middle seats in the first class cabin at all.

JumboMaiden

Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:30 am

The cynic in me wonders whether they've gone to the trouble to make sure all of the passenger facilities in and around
that seat are approved by the CAA.
BA is very good at finding on-board 'things' (of various descriptions) and putting them on planes without one department having carefully tried and tested and proven
(the item's) best suitability and conveyed that information to the next and so on.
The CW suites - which were known about for some years before they were put into the planes - are incompatible with the expensive "new club
world" proposition that was rolled out and within a year rolled back in again as a waste of time and money. (Service trolleys) No planning there.
We have to ask customers not to use the water bottle holder (for any one of a few different and unrealistic reasons that I have heard at the demo suite in the CRC).
The CW doors are prone to falling off the rails because the red emergency handle does suggest "pull me" to open the door.
Is it true the A350 is going back to the hangar have the galleys refitted to be able to accommodate the equipment and second service items (food, basically) because
that wasn't thought about at planning stage?

VC10er

Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:48 am

Personally I don’t really get the desire for a door. Ever since newer fairly private suites with all aisle access fully replaced 2x2 “climb over” seats (and certainly when angled flats went GONE), I find I’m very content, comfortable and private enough on “almost” any airline.
Super spectacular First Class seats (and service) are a really nice treat, but on my 3rd business tip that month, as long as the seat is roomy enough, no climbing over and a VERY comfortable bed seat for sleep...I’m happy. If it is truly long haul where you can get 8 hours of sleep, and then another 4-7 hours of being awake, then IFE is important.
(What I find funny is: 20 years ago when you only had a choice of 5 movies from a pop up monitor from a wide lounge chair, I always found something to watch and was happy to have a big recliner. Imagine if we suddenly had to go back! We would all be OUTRAGED! We have become so spoiled! Today with 50 movies plus TV, I stil cannot ever find anything I want to watch! Lol?)
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

by738

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:52 am

Great, good to see further investment in the product which seemed otherwise to be on a downward trajectory. Was never that exposed but a door would be an added welcome. Its not about comparison with ME3, BA passengers (and the huge transatlantic and corporate loads) won’t shift from BA anyway.

bananaboy

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:55 pm

S0Y wrote:
the doors thing is driven by bloggers who have an anti-social bias and put a huge premium in privacy. If sleeping, the door is great but otherwise ...........
Some of my favorite flights have been in the nose of a 747 (TG F or for biz a KL DC10) where the sense of space was amazing.

I loved 1A in F on the TG 747 but I definitely felt like I was visible to the rest of the cabin. Wasn't a huge issue but was certainly in my mind throughout the flight. I felt more relaxed on the 777's they'd leased from Jet which had the doors, particularly at night. I was able to close the doors and it felt like I was in a private bedroom. Have never slept so soundly on a plane.

I think the move towards adding doors for additional privacy is a great move. Yes, of course in most cases someone can see over the doors when standing, but given that passengers are sitting for 99% of the time whilst onboard, I don't see that as a big issue.
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

chonetsao

Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:08 pm

VC10er wrote:
Personally I don’t really get the desire for a door. Ever since newer fairly private suites with all aisle access fully replaced 2x2 “climb over” seats (and certainly when angled flats went GONE), I find I’m very content, comfortable and private enough on “almost” any airline.
Super spectacular First Class seats (and service) are a really nice treat, but on my 3rd business tip that month, as long as the seat is roomy enough, no climbing over and a VERY comfortable bed seat for sleep...I’m happy. If it is truly long haul where you can get 8 hours of sleep, and then another 4-7 hours of being awake, then IFE is important.
(What I find funny is: 20 years ago when you only had a choice of 5 movies from a pop up monitor from a wide lounge chair, I always found something to watch and was happy to have a big recliner. Imagine if we suddenly had to go back! We would all be OUTRAGED! We have become so spoiled! Today with 50 movies plus TV, I stil cannot ever find anything I want to watch! Lol?)

To airlines the First class seat with a door is a product differentiation. The new Club Suite used on BA is similar to many other business classes seats using by CX and AA, which is a step ahead of other older products. By comparison the First class seats offers very little extra in terms of the seat product compare to Club suite. Of course it is a little bit wider and longer, maybe a bigger screen. But how do you entice people to upgrade to first if there is already a near perfect Business class seat product?

I can see BA to promote its First with doors to the celebrity customers and other self important people who can turn around to say that look, I am travelling First class and it has a door so no ordinary passengers can see what I am doing.

For people who don't like the doors, you have the option leave it open.

Ah before I forget, I think some airlines offer doors in business class too!

sabby

Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:32 pm

chonetsao wrote:
VC10er wrote:

To airlines the First class seat with a door is a product differentiation. The new Club Suite used on BA is similar to many other business classes seats using by CX and AA, which is a step ahead of other older products. By comparison the First class seats offers very little extra in terms of the seat product compare to Club suite. Of course it is a little bit wider and longer, maybe a bigger screen. But how do you entice people to upgrade to first if there is already a near perfect Business class seat product?

I can see BA to promote its First with doors to the celebrity customers and other self important people who can turn around to say that look, I am travelling First class and it has a door so no ordinary passengers can see what I am doing.

For people who don't like the doors, you have the option leave it open.

Ah before I forget, I think some airlines offer doors in business class too!

The new club suites on BA 787/A350 have doors. So not having doors in the first in 787-10 was awkward. Although the F seats have much more space and no claustrophobia of having lower part of your body in a coffin. I think in the new F seats, they are adding the doors as well as making them straight instead of angled like in 787 F seats.

cedarjet

Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:21 pm

I think the door thing is bananas. No idea who wants this crap, it’s only a little extra partition anyway, people can still see in, but no one wants to anyway. Ridiculous
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Vicenza

Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:24 pm

Opus99 wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
Opus99 wrote:

Yes, but what was in my mind was why the 'need' for it.....from passengers, not airline? Just adding something because a competitor has it, does not mean lack of it is 'substandard' by any means'. But hey, if an airline, or any business for that matter, feels the need to simply pander to whim's for money, so be it if that's their 'focus'.

MIflyer12

Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:35 pm

spacecadet wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:

Congrats - you get the point.

The first word that came to mind for me was exclusivity. 'I have a door and the people in Business don't.' There are all sorts of elements, big and small, that carriers provide to prod people to spend the extra money for long-haul F. (Who needs to take a shower on a plane? Nobody headed immediately to a five-star hotel, certainly. Don't argue you're headed right to the office... if you're important you set the schedule.)

If you don't see the value, save your money and sit in J, W or Y.

Westerwaelder

Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:42 am

cedarjet wrote:
I think the door thing is bananas. No idea who wants this crap, it’s only a little extra partition anyway, people can still see in, but no one wants to anyway. Ridiculous

Right. And as for these "mobile phones" - I mean, making a call while you are out and about, who wants that? It's ridiculous!

Maybe you are just not the typical First customer on BA? No need to deride other people's preferences. Maybe a simple "a door will not add any value to my travel in First" would do?

BrianDromey

Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:00 am

cedarjet wrote:

I suppose the door can bel left open, there is no requirement for the customer to close it. BA is one of the few airlines offering an F cabin. Having doors in Business Class was driven by the competition, most of whom do not offer F. But First was then without a differentiator, as the lower class at BA had a door, but F did not. The differentiators were, all forward facing, 1-2-1 layout, more space, more storage. These were lost with the introduction of Club Suite. BA had to do something to make the F cabin appear subjectively superior to CW.

Ba's yin-yang CW is actually very private once you are sat down. The seats are arranged in such a way that you don't have a direct eyeline into other seats. The 2 rear facing seats in the centre on the 777 are ideal when travelling as a couple, the window seats are very private too. So the layout isn't perfect and looks strange on a seat map. It is incredibly space efficient, provides a large bed without a cubby-hole for ones feet. Competitors, over time, surpassed it in terms of storage and the idea that the cabin was 2-4-2. In reality it is 1-2-1, in the same way reverse herringbone is. By re-numbering the seat rows they could have gotten around that perception, but again this was a differentiator between CW and F.

oldannyboy

Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:56 am

Opus99 wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
Opus99 wrote:

Yes, it's a thing that is inherently intertwined with the antisocial behaviour of the very rich who just love to dismiss anything having to do with real, mundane affairs, and not bother with the lowlier people - or others in general.
It's a thing these days, and very 'a-la-page'. Cue the black windows on cars. Or wearing very big sunglasses even when there's no sun. Like not having to really watch other fellow (inferior) human beings in the eye. Not having to deal with "the other".
Of course I'm not saying for a minute that those who travel first class (or have a car with black windows) are real rich people, or VIPs, but it's the idea that they could play the game that titillates their ego....
And airlines are looking at new ways to titillate the ego of travellers in order to extract more money from them.

LUKAS10

Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:07 am

oldannyboy wrote:
Opus99 wrote:
Vicenza wrote:

Yes, it's a thing that is inherently intertwined with the antisocial behaviour of the very rich who just love to dismiss anything having to do with real, mundane affairs, and not bother with the lowlier people - or others in general.
It's a thing these days, and very 'a-la-page'. Cue the black windows on cars. Or wearing very big sunglasses even when there's no sun. Like not having to really watch other fellow (inferior) human beings in the eye. Not having to deal with "the other".
Of course I'm not saying for a minute that those who travel first class (or have a car with black windows) are real rich people, or VIPs, but it's the idea that they could play the game that titillates their ego....
And airlines are looking at new ways to titillate the ego of travellers in order to extract more money from them.

I sometimes fly in First class but would never invest my money in a product with no door. I mean, it's not because I would try to avoid contact with other individuals but it really doesn't feel comfortable for me to be seen while sleeping. I think that's what most of the F Class travellers value. Honestly, I don't see much sense in paying for Lufthansa F 'shared college dorm-like' product when I can simply enjoy a privacy of a suit. I don't think there's much of a difference between F and C soft product, such as food, which is sometimes even better in C class. So privacy is really something what makes flying F class so special.

LJ

Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:54 pm

chonetsao wrote:

How many "ordinary" passengers fly First? It's not that they see you sitting in a seat whilst boarding the aircraft.

peterinlisbon

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:18 pm

What are these First Class passengers getting up to that they need a door for privacy? I do know that many of them are bankers.

CarbonFibre

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:19 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Now with COVID, Western societies are also becoming more isolated (e.g. social distancing) so it makes sense that people wants more privacy and further away from strangers.

The supposed germs won't think of going over the doors.

DocLightning

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:45 pm

cedarjet wrote:

Then leave it open. But why can't you let other passengers have it?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Exeiowa

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:53 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
What are these First Class passengers getting up to that they need a door for privacy? I do know that many of them are bankers.

Thanks for that i needed an afternoon laugh.