Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iwastemyday
Topic Author

NYC-SJD over capacity (DL Starting)

Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:24 am

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I did not see this posted anywhere, forgive me if it has been.

It appears Delta is joining in the hopes of a greatly expanded NYC-SJD market.

Last year, the extent of service was a seasonal weekend only service on United from EWR (Saturday & Sunday).

For this coming year we have:

United 2x Weekly EWR-SJD (Saturday/Sunday)
Eastern 2x Weekly - starting November 14 - JFK-SJD (Wednesday/Saturday)
American Daily - starting December 17 - JFK-SJD
And now Delta Daily - starting December 19 - JFK-SJD.

That is an 800% increase over last years weekly frequencies (2 to 18).

Crazy.

Ishrion

Re: NYC-SJD Bloodbath (DL Starting)

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 am

- United’s on the 737-800 with 166 seats (332 per week)
- Delta’s on the 737-900ER with 180 seats (1260 per week)
- American’s on the 737-800 with 160-172 seats (1120-1204 per week)
- Eastern’s on the 767-300ER with 244 seats (488 per week)

In terms of weekly seat capacity, NYC-SJD will go from 332 seats to 3,200-3,284 seats depending on AA’s configuration.

Total weekly seat capacity increases by approximately 978% compared to last year. Wow.

AA/DL have nearly identical timings too:

AA departs JFK at 8:10 AM and arrives in SJD at 12:31 PM
DL departs JFK at 8:15 AM and arrives in SJD at 12:35 PM
Last edited by Ishrion on Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

hpff

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:09 am

Isn't this just proof there's not a lot of places for Yanks to travel right now?

panamair

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:56 am

I believe DL has had JFK-SJD Sat-only service on the 738 on and off over the years.

DaCubbyBearBar

Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:49 am

Now we just need B6 to join in? 0830 departure?
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

MIflyer12

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:54 am

hpff wrote:
Isn't this just proof there's not a lot of places for Yanks to travel right now?

That's part of it.

Percentage increase in seats isn't a good metric here. SJD is a big non-stop market for Americans - for the 12 months ending 6/2019 it was about as big as Shanghai, and bigger than Madrid. Bigger than Sao Paolo, Munich, or KEF.

Now it will be a little bigger because of better accessibility from NYC, which has traditionally gone for Caribbean islands or CUN, not western Mexico.

jfklganyc

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:14 pm

This is a major tourist destination… Airlines are just looking to fill seats at this point which they will have no problem doing

asuflyer

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:15 pm

SJD is not a major destination in NYC, many people here have never heard of it here. I have no idea why anyone would fly Eastern, the types of people who go to SJD are typically high end travelers. Over the years only UA has been able to consistently maintain service, DL hasn't been on the route since 2015 I believe.

vedatil4

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Cancun sometimes has sargasso weed on its beaches. This is a naturally occuring phenomenon. To their credit, they try to clean it up but it's an almost impossible task. Cabo doesn't have that problem.

Living close to the border I haven't heard of Mexican authorities questioning US travelers heading south into Tijuana to visit or to catch flights further into Mexico. There are signs on the freeway saying travel is restricted but US citizens don't get stopped on the way south or north. Mexico must really need the tourist dollars to keep flowing. Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and Cancun are the geese that lay the golden eggs.

Before Covid there was a nonstop London to Cabo flight. That's a really long flight to see beaches and resorts.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:34 pm

vedatil4 wrote:
Cancun sometimes has sargasso weed on its beaches. This is a naturally occuring phenomenon. To their credit, they try to clean it up but it's an almost impossible task. Cabo doesn't have that problem.

Living close to the border I haven't heard of Mexican authorities questioning US travelers heading south into Tijuana to visit or to catch flights further into Mexico. There are signs on the freeway saying travel is restricted but US citizens don't get stopped on the way south or north. Mexico must really need the tourist dollars to keep flowing. Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and Cancun are the geese that lay the golden eggs.

Before Covid there was a nonstop London to Cabo flight. That's a really long flight to see beaches and resorts.

At least you can swim in Cancun.

joeblow10

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:50 pm

Yeah I agree - this is a LOT of capacity. People from NYC and the East, even the Midwest, flock to Cancun, not Cabo if they’re going to Mexico.

Understand that this is an easy add to draw the tourist crowd in - but I think they’re vastly overestimating the market. If I live in NYC I’m hopping on a 2-3 hour flight to Florida or at most a 4 hour flight to Cancun, not a 6 hour jaunt across the continent to Cabo

jayunited

Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:00 pm

iwastemyday wrote:

Last year, the extent of service was a seasonal weekend only service on United from EWR (Saturday & Sunday).

Crazy.

The question network planners are asking themselves is where can American's travel this fall/winter season. With Europe remaining closed to Americans, and islands in the Caribbean either being closed, requiring a mandatory 14 day quarantine, or a negative COVID test individuals must arrive within 72 hours of the test and in some cases within 48 hours after the test. With so many restrictions or hurdles to overcome Mexico has become a much more popular options with American tourist. Mexico only requires arriving passengers to fill out a health screening form and submit to a temperature check afterwards its is Welcome to Mexico. Just this past weekend UA had several flights operate completely full from the U.S. to different beach destinations in Mexico. It is why you are seeing so many airlines adding point to point service to CUN, and other places in Mexico like SJD, and PVR. It is why B6 is going to take a stab at both AS and UA by competing directly with them by offering 2x daily SFO-CUN later this year.

In a normal year your bloodbath description would be 100% accurate. In the age of COVID Mexico is quickly emerging as the go to spot for people looking for a beach vacation outside of the continental U.S.. Even with Hawaii opening on October 15th they will have more requirements tourist must meet before they can visit and/or freely move about the Hawaiian Islands than Mexico. If you can not get test results (or think you will not be able to have your test results) within the required time by some of these countries and Hawaii you are forced to scratch that country or island off your list.

I think for the fall/winter season both Florida and Mexico are going be cashing in those tourist dollars especially once the the temperatures began to drop in the northern half of the U.S..

iwastemyday
Topic Author

Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:12 pm

jayunited wrote:
iwastemyday wrote:

Crazy.

The question network planners are asking themselves is where can American's travel this fall/winter season. With Europe remaining closed to Americans, and islands in the Caribbean either being closed, requiring a mandatory 14 day quarantine, or a negative COVID test individuals must arrive within 72 hours of the test and in some cases within 48 hours after the test. With so many restrictions or hurdles to overcome Mexico has become a much more popular options with American tourist. Mexico only requires arriving passengers to fill out a health screening form and submit to a temperature check afterwards its is Welcome to Mexico. Just this past weekend UA had several flights operate completely full from the U.S. to different beach destinations in Mexico. It is why you are seeing so many airlines adding point to point service to CUN, and other places in Mexico like SJD, and PVR. It is why B6 is going to take a stab at both AS and UA by competing directly with them by offering 2x daily SFO-CUN later this year.

In a normal year your bloodbath description would be 100% accurate. In the age of COVID Mexico is quickly emerging as the go to spot for people looking for a beach vacation outside of the continental U.S.. Even with Hawaii opening on October 15th they will have more requirements tourist must meet before they can visit and/or freely move about the Hawaiian Islands than Mexico. If you can not get test results (or think you will not be able to have your test results) within the required time by some of these countries and Hawaii you are forced to scratch that country or island off your list.

I think for the fall/winter season both Florida and Mexico are going be cashing in those tourist dollars especially once the the temperatures began to drop in the northern half of the U.S..

Agreed. I’m hoping to see a start of NYC to CZM flights nonstop. Another popular beach destination in Mexico that could probably get some of the Cancun cake.

vedatil4

Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:24 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
vedatil4 wrote:

At least you can swim in Cancun.

I agree. Most people don't know the beaches in Cabo aren't that safe because of strong currents. The beaches in La Paz or on the eastern side of the cape are better for swimming but don't have as many beach resorts.

MIflyer12

Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:39 pm

jayunited wrote:
iwastemyday wrote:

Crazy.

In a normal year your bloodbath description would be 100% accurate.

This thinking perpetuates the error of importance of a big percentage change from a small starting quantity. It's like when some 4th-rate Chamber of Commerce gets all hyperbolic: Williston, fastest-growing airport in the U.S.!!! When you start from near-zero, all adds look impressive on a percentage basis. Two flights a week NYC-SJD was nothing.

There are plenty of hotel rooms in SJD, including fairly recent adds of high-end properties. An extra 16 flights a week can be absorbed very readily. At a certain age and income level, people don't swim at the beach - they dip in their hotel room's own plunge pool. :)

Ishrion

Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:09 pm

iwastemyday wrote:

Apparently United's doing 9x weekly now?

https://onemileatatime.com/new-york-to- ... s-flights/

Keith2004

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:21 pm

I just booked a flight to Cabo myself, if it wasn't for COVID I would travel to Europe or several other places, but Mexico is the only international destination (aside from The Dominican Republic, which I also recently booked) taking Americans currently without pre testing or Quarantine, it makes sense that carriers are adding flights to SJD, PVR, CUN, PUJ.

Airlines are just trying to survive; Add capacity where you can fill seats; business travel has not yet come back, so leisure adds will probably rule the day this winter. Could make for some interesting routes.

FriscoHeavy

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:40 pm

asuflyer wrote:
SJD is not a major destination in NYC, many people here have never heard of it here. I have no idea why anyone would fly Eastern, the types of people who go to SJD are typically high end travelers. Over the years only UA has been able to consistently maintain service, DL hasn't been on the route since 2015 I believe.

It's bigger than you think, surprisingly. We go 1-2 times a year (just got back about 2 weeks ago). Every time, we meet quite a few people from the NE (New York, New Jersey, etc).

Yes, travelers from Texas, Arizona and California make up a majority of the people visiting SJD, but quite a few folks come from the Northeast. This last time, we met a girl who flew via Mexico City.
Whatever

kamloops

Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:05 pm

The only challenge, with SJD is the limited swimming spots in the Ocean compared to PVR and CUN, due to the undertow

Guess people want to get away and are ok with the big swimming pools

FriscoHeavy

Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:30 pm

kamloops wrote:
The only challenge, with SJD is the limited swimming spots in the Ocean compared to PVR and CUN, due to the undertow

Yes, that's how it is. It's a place of pure relaxation for us. Every day for us is exactly the same and it's wonderful:

1. Sleep in.
2. Wake up and drink coffee on our hotel balcony that I go down and get at the coffee bar.
3. Go to the gym.
4. Get to the adult only pool around 10:30 - 11:00 am and relax there until about 5:30 pm.
5. Go to have a wonderful supper (outside the hotel). *We never do all-inclusive as half the fun is going out to have a superb dinner every night (we have our favorites).
6. Repeat x 5 days.

It makes us very happy people.
Whatever

slcdeltarumd11

Re: NYC-SJD over capacity (DL Starting)

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:15 pm

Airlines are just desperate for destinations they can maybe get Butts in the seats at the this point.

At least a plane flying has a chance to make money on a leisure route. Parked planes are burning cash and guranteed losers. The resorts are also offering really good deals so even if the airfares are average could still be a really cheap get away. They can't fly to business destinations , or major cities, this is a route you can maybe create more demand. Exactly why PSP has seem a boom. Outdoor destinations for the people who still want to go away might work , it's really the only thing they can try at this point.

I think we will see more routes like this, not less. The resorts and tourist towns are hurting too we will see subsidies and offers and things the airlines to go after. Business travel is clearly going to take too long to come back they have to get something totally different temporarily.

FSDan

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:51 pm

asuflyer wrote:
DL hasn't been on the route since 2015 I believe.

I thought they were flying it as recently as two years ago (although something like Saturday-only and winter seasonal, so quite limited). Either way, this daily add marks a significant increase.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

FSDan

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:55 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
When you start from near-zero, all adds look impressive on a percentage basis. Two flights a week NYC-SJD was nothing.

This is a good point. It's easy to have a huge percentage increase when there was barely any service before.

New Yorkers may strongly prefer CUN due to ease/distance, but that's why NYC-CUN has like 10+ daily flights vs soon-to-be 2+ for SJD. That doesn't seem too crazy to me.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

IADCA

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:59 pm

FSDan wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
When you start from near-zero, all adds look impressive on a percentage basis. Two flights a week NYC-SJD was nothing.

This is a good point. It's easy to have a huge percentage increase when there was barely any service before.

New Yorkers may strongly prefer CUN due to ease/distance, but that's why NYC-CUN has like 10+ daily flights vs soon-to-be 2+ for SJD. That doesn't seem too crazy to me.

And a lot of other people would just prefer places without New Yorkers.

maverick4002

Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:24 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
kamloops wrote:

Yes, that's how it is. It's a place of pure relaxation for us. Every day for us is exactly the same and it's wonderful:

1. Sleep in.
2. Wake up and drink coffee on our hotel balcony that I go down and get at the coffee bar.
3. Go to the gym.
4. Get to the adult only pool around 10:30 - 11:00 am and relax there until about 5:30 pm.
5. Go to have a wonderful supper (outside the hotel). *We never do all-inclusive as half the fun is going out to have a superb dinner every night (we have our favorites).
6. Repeat x 5 days.

UGH this sounds like torture to me haha. I am not a beach / pool / resort person. I like to be active an amongst the people. I'll be bored after day 2. One day I will get there though.

NYCVIE

Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:47 am

IADCA wrote:
FSDan wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Well unfortunately for those people Cabo is no longer an option. PVR maybe? :roll:

FriscoHeavy wrote:
kamloops wrote:

1. Sleep in.
3. Go to the gym.
6. Repeat x 5 days.

That's amazing - I do love a good all inclusive, though where you just don't have to worry about or plan ANYTHING.

UPNYGuy

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:36 am

asuflyer wrote:

disagree. Cabo is not that expensive to get to. Especially when it has lots of LCC competition now.

UPNYGuy

Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:38 am

IADCA wrote:
FSDan wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

and this New Yorker couldn’t give two shits :lol:

iwastemyday
Topic Author

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:16 am

Eastern will not be starting JFK-SJD due to AA and DL both starting.

"Dear customer,
Due to the ongoing challenges the airline industry is facing during the Covid-19 Pandemic, Eastern Airlines has halted plans for scheduled service between JFK and SJD.
Effective today, Eastern Airlines will no longer offer service between New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Los Cabos San Jose del Cabo International Airport (SJD) as originally scheduled.
The Eastern brand seeks to provide underserved markets with non-stop flights at the best value. Due to the announcement of two major U.S. carriers offering service as early as December 2020 and the significant increase in the number of seats being offered in this market, flights between JFK and SJD no longer align with Eastern's objectives.
As soon as the demand for leisure travel begins to return, Eastern will reassess the opportunities for travel to Los Cabos and other vacation destinations. All current ticket holders are being issued full refunds at this time.
Eastern Airlines appreciates your understanding and our team is here to assist you. Please reach out to us directly with any questions or concerns.
Fly safe, #goeasternair "

tootallsd

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:48 am

I was planning to go to my condo in PVR for the second half of December. We received a communication from the building management advising that the governor of Jalisco is greatly limiting activities due to explosion of cases. Drastically limited bars and restaurants, none at night or weekends. No point if there is nothing to do. Cancelled.

767driver

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:30 pm

tootallsd wrote:
I was planning to go to my condo in PVR for the second half of December. We received a communication from the building management advising that the governor of Jalisco is greatly limiting activities due to explosion of cases. Drastically limited bars and restaurants, none at night or weekends. No point if there is nothing to do. Cancelled.

That’s Only for 10/30-11/13 (as of now). PV will have more lenient restrictions than the rest of the state. Restaurants can stay open until 8p every night

September11

Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:45 pm

iwastemyday wrote:
Eastern will not be starting JFK-SJD due to AA and DL both starting.

"Dear customer,
Due to the ongoing challenges the airline industry is facing during the Covid-19 Pandemic, Eastern Airlines has halted plans for scheduled service between JFK and SJD.
Effective today, Eastern Airlines will no longer offer service between New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Los Cabos San Jose del Cabo International Airport (SJD) as originally scheduled.
The Eastern brand seeks to provide underserved markets with non-stop flights at the best value. Due to the announcement of two major U.S. carriers offering service as early as December 2020 and the significant increase in the number of seats being offered in this market, flights between JFK and SJD no longer align with Eastern's objectives.
As soon as the demand for leisure travel begins to return, Eastern will reassess the opportunities for travel to Los Cabos and other vacation destinations. All current ticket holders are being issued full refunds at this time.
Eastern Airlines appreciates your understanding and our team is here to assist you. Please reach out to us directly with any questions or concerns.
Fly safe, #goeasternair "

Interesting move
Airliners.net of the Future

worldranger

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:43 pm

The entire cruise holiday market has no ship to go on...except the SS Mexico & Carib.

And thus it is

olli

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:48 pm

tootallsd wrote:

From October 30 and for the next 15 days, all business, including bars and restaurants in Puerto Vallarta can operate from 6:00 am to 8:30pm. Since Puerto Vallarta's economy is heavily reliant on tourism, restrictions will not apply as in the rest of cities within the state of Jalisco.

Also, remember that Puerto Vallarta borders with the state of Nayarit (Nuevo Vallarta) and as an independent state, they take their own decisions regarding how to handle the pandemic. So far they haven't announced restrictions.

Regards,