Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CHA5Departure
Topic Author

Chattanooga KCHA recent daily flights from charter cargo operators

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:52 pm

I know this may be a long shot with Chattanooga being a smaller airport, but KCHA has recently out of the blue starting receiving daily arrivals/departures from charter cargo operators. Most of the flights are from USA Jet but there have been some Everts Air flights sprinkled in. I'm wondering if anyone may have some insider knowledge about what these flights are for? My top guess is that they are moving car parts as a number of flights been to/from Queretaro, Mexico with stops in places like Laredo or Shreveport (I presume for Customs?) and also to/from Detroit.

DiamondFlyer

Re: Chattanooga KCHA recent daily flights from charter cargo operators

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Most certainly autoparts. Probably picking up in CHA, moving freight to QRO. LRD/SHV/LIT would be fuel stops/customs outbound to Mexico.
From my cold, dead hands

MIflyer12

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:11 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Probably picking up in CHA, moving freight to QRO.

I would have guessed the reverse direction, actually: delivering parts from Mexico to VW's Chattanooga vehicle assembly plant, which was getting only 44% by value of its parts from U.S./Canada auto suppliers for MY2020.

klm617

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:22 pm

Air freight for the VW Assembly plant located in Chattanooga. The parts are usually trucked to the boarder and then airfreighted from LRD. Some of those could be repositioning flights as GM has a plant in SHV or maybe the plane is carrying freight for the GM plant in SHV and then going onto CHA. I used to schedule these charters all the time. Did a lot of work with Ameristar and Centurion from LRD to YIP and PTK
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

DiamondFlyer

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:42 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
Probably picking up in CHA, moving freight to QRO.

I would have guessed the reverse direction, actually: delivering parts from Mexico to VW's Chattanooga vehicle assembly plant, which was getting only 44% by value of its parts from U.S./Canada auto suppliers for MY2020.

Having flown for one of the auto parts carrying companies, I can't ever remember dropping off in CHA, but we picked up a lot in CHA. And with USAJet on these trips, it looks like they always did YIP-CHA-LRD/SHV/LIT-QRO. Usually that's indicative of an empty repo at the front, unless the parts are coming from Detroit.
From my cold, dead hands

gdavis003

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:52 pm

I’ve noticed this at BHM, TCL, ANB, and ASN as of late. I’ve seen Everts Air, Aeronaves TSM, USA Jet, Kalitta II, Ameristar, Berry Aviation, you name it, quite often at these airports within the last two weeks. Lots of automobile plants in the area ( Mercedes near Tuscaloosa and Honda near Lincoln most notably), so that’s what these flights are for.

CHA5Departure
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:02 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
I’ve noticed this at BHM, TCL, ANB, and ASN as of late. I’ve seen Everts Air, Aeronaves TSM, USA Jet, Kalitta II, Ameristar, Berry Aviation, you name it, quite often at these airports within the last two weeks. Lots of automobile plants in the area ( Mercedes near Tuscaloosa and Honda near Lincoln most notably), so that’s what these flights are for.

Yeah, this just started within the last couple weeks at KCHA also. I wonder what has precipitated this sudden increase in lift? Is this a shift from another mode of transportation to air cargo?

klm617

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:21 pm

CHA5Departure wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

Yeah, this just started within the last couple weeks at KCHA also. I wonder what has precipitated this sudden increase in lift? Is this a shift from another mode of transportation to air cargo?

Remember there could be parts shortages due to covid 19 that require parts to be shipped by air to keep the lines running in the assembly plants.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

ibthebigd

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:36 pm

Maybe parts need to be expedited from suppliers to keep the plant running.

Covid 19 has caused manpower shortages that cause suppliers to get behind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cubsrule

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:22 am

klm617 wrote:
CHA5Departure wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

Remember there could be parts shortages due to covid 19 that require parts to be shipped by air to keep the lines running in the assembly plants.

Hasn’t crossing the US-Mexico border by ground become a whole lot harder because of COVID? I think mode change from ground is the most likely.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

DiamondFlyer

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:59 am

ibthebigd wrote:
Maybe parts need to be expedited from suppliers to keep the plant running.

Covid 19 has caused manpower shortages that cause suppliers to get behind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That is exactly what all the automotive freight airlines specialize in. Just in time shipments to keep the line from idling.
From my cold, dead hands

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos